[Politics] "FBI Admits Black Lives Matter Are Not Terrorists"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Last week, as Donald Trump curtsied before the Queen; as Congressional Democrats continued to cower from their constitutional obligations; while we took our horses down to Old Town Road, mounted Megan Thee Stallion's bandwagon and watched what happens When They See Us, the Federal Bureau of Investigation admitted that prejudiced assumptions against the Black Lives Matter movement, Muslim Americans and black identity extremists was all a lie. Intelligence officials sat in front of lawmakers and openly admitted that white supremacists and right-wing violence are the biggest domestic terror threat but also admitted that federal agencies aren't really doing anything about it.

On Tuesday, June 4, the House Oversight subcommittee on civil rights and civil liberties held the second session in a series of hearings titled: "Confronting White Supremacy." Among those testifying before the subcommittee was Michael C. McGarrity, the director of the FBI's Counterterrorism Division. McGarrity explained that right-wing extremists like the Tree of Life Synagogue shooter in Pittsburgh were charged with hate crimes instead of domestic terrorism simply because "there's no domestic terrorism charge."

https://www.theroot.com/the-fbi-admits-black-lives-matter-was-never-a-threat-i-1835417043

What I also found interesting is that, according to the article, there is a law that defines domestic terrorism but not one that charges people who commit it. Meaning that people like Dylan Roof or Stephen Paddock won't be charged as domestic terrorists despite fitting the pattern.

Well, better later than never for the FBI but I doubt this will amount to much.

I do find it funny that the FBI wait until the last minute for bullshit like this. And they wonder why certain people don't trust them nor have any faith in them. The whole "there's no domestic terrorism charge." is a fucking joke. If it was someone of any other color than white, there would be domestic terrorist charges up the ass. There is clearly favoritism at work. For Intelligence Agents, they sure lacking actual intelligence. Thanks for the news.

Wait...WHAT? *Double checks notes* Actual honesty?? Is this progress? This feels like it should be progress. Long overdue. Please let this be more than an offhand moment. But at the same time I can't see it convincing those who have invested a lot of themselves into the 'white victimisation' narrative and all that mess. They'll find some justification with their adept mental gymnastics eeriely reminiscent of religious fundamentalists.

How about we just charge them with being terrorists? Though really domestic terrorism is worse than 'normal' terrorism, cause ya know, its here, and not out in some sand hole in the Middle-East.

BLM and Antifa are just scape goats of right-wing hate. If they were even half as violent as right-wingers lie about, there would be some actual fucking proof. But they never provide proof. That is why 'citation needed' so often shuts them up. That is why The Lunatic when pressed to provide evidence never does.

Hell, I always forget, cause they never respond with proof, but MULTIPLE TIMES I demanded proof of BLM and Antifa violence and they NEVER (They being people like The Lunatic and Zontar) provided any, they just quietly let the topic drop.

Nazis are terrorists, the KKK are terrorists. And until we treat them like terrorists, this country will always be held back from true progress. Freedom of Speech is not supposed to be freedom of terror.

This kinda reads like "scientists confirm fire is hot" to me lol. I dunno why they needed to clarify that.

The issue with terrorism done by random muslims or other minorities isn't that it's the most prevalent form of terrorism. It's that those groups are disproportionally over-represented as the perpetrators of it.

So while of course there's a hell of a lot more right wing extremism in a country with tons more right wingers than fundamentalist muslims or black identitarians or what have you, the per-capita rates are way lower when it comes to right wingers.

Like, you know how the statistic about more white people being shot by police than black people doesn't matter because for their population there's too many black people being shot by police? It's the same principle here. For their population there's too many terrorists from those groups.

That doesn't necessarily have to mean that there's a whole lot of terrorism from those groups, only that there's more per 100 random people, which is the issue addressed when people speak about this. If you try to make it mean that people think that most of the terrorism done in the country is done by those minority groups you're misrepresenting what people are saying.

Oh and I don't know why you wouldn't add muslim extremism into the right wing extremism count as well. Sharia is extremely right wing. Stuff like controlling women's bodies and being homophobic and so on are their bread and butter.

You see? You SEE?! This is why not having the Lunatic around any more is such a drag. The mental Gymnastics over this would have been a Ten out of Ten, worthy of the 2020 Olympics.

Jokes aside, I'm just awaiting Donald's word on this. I applaud the FBI to go against the Administration, but it's more important that the source of the controversy either admits to his mistake or doubles down. Then you really know where you stand.

ObsidianJones:
You see? You SEE?! This is why not having the Lunatic around any more is such a drag. The mental Gymnastics over this would have been a Ten out of Ten, worthy of the 2020 Olympics.

Jokes aside, I'm just awaiting Donald's word on this. I applaud the FBI to go against the Administration, but it's more important that the source of the controversy either admits to his mistake or doubles down. Then you really know where you stand.

I like being able to just point at The Lunatic and be clear and blunt. Its really fucking refreshing to use him as an example of the utter bullshit I have been dealing with here for years. YEARS! For YEARS he has been saying super blatantly bigoted bullshit, and little was done about it. And for YEARS he was blatantly trolling and nothing was done about it, but if I dared to point it out, it would be me getting punished. I knew it, you knew it, he knew it, the mods knew it, we all knew it.

We all knew it.

ObsidianJones:

No one died, so I doubt he'll be making any comment.

EDIT: And with no one I mean, no one that's worth Fox News' attention.

BLM may not be a terrorist organisation but some of their tactics, speech* and the criminal acts inspired by such rhetoric** definitely verge on the terroristic, or could easily be turned into acts of domestic terrorism. The FBI would be entirely justified in keeping tabs on any kind of movement that inspires civil unrest, racial division, disseminates the idea that law enforcement and government are the enemy, and so on.

*("Pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon" - in what sense does this not constitute an incitement of violence?)
** (Dallas, 2016 - yep, there you go, five police murdered)

Batou667:
BLM may not be a terrorist organisation but some of their tactics, speech* and the criminal acts inspired by such rhetoric** definitely verge on the terroristic, or could easily be turned into acts of domestic terrorism.

But they didn't.

Batou667:
BLM may not be a terrorist organisation but some of their tactics, speech* and the criminal acts inspired by such rhetoric** definitely verge on the terroristic, or could easily be turned into acts of domestic terrorism. The FBI would be entirely justified in keeping tabs on any kind of movement that inspires civil unrest, racial division, disseminates the idea that law enforcement and government are the enemy, and so on.

*("Pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon" - in what sense does this not constitute an incitement of violence?)

Then by that logic the cops have also justified violence against them by the amount of unarmed non violent black people they have killed or have died in police custody in weird circumstances. I mean even white people have justified violence against cops, remember that vid of the swat guys giving that one guy counteracting orders then capping him in the hotel hallway?

Batou667:

Sure, I'm willing to play this game.

So... why shouldn't BLM couldn't Police the enemy, again? Going to your definition, tactics, speech, and criminal action is enough to warrant suspicion, correct?

* Language: Police officers nationwide flagged for racist and violent social media posts
* Police Speaking about how their training and tactics leads to avoidable deaths How Police Training Contributes to Avoidable Deaths
* Tactics: Officer won't face any civil charges after killing a man complying with her orders and his hands above his head
*Tactics and Sppech: Police bragging about frying another N-word, and how it's no big deal
+ Tactics and Criminality: Alabama Narcotics Department have been targeting young black men and planting drugs on them since 1996 based on internal investigation by the department
* Criminality: Planting Evidence to affect an arrest
* Criminality: Planting Evidence to affect an arrest

I can go on, but my lunch is cooling. The response to this? Jeff Sessions on his way out made it harder to reign in Police Abuse. Something that Trump and his administration didn't deign worthy to fix.

Begging the question of why should BLM ignore them?

Saelune:
How about we just charge them with being terrorists? Though really domestic terrorism is worse than 'normal' terrorism, cause ya know, its here, and not out in some sand hole in the Middle-East.

BLM and Antifa are just scape goats of right-wing hate. If they were even half as violent as right-wingers lie about, there would be some actual fucking proof. But they never provide proof. That is why 'citation needed' so often shuts them up. That is why The Lunatic when pressed to provide evidence never does.

Hell, I always forget, cause they never respond with proof, but MULTIPLE TIMES I demanded proof of BLM and Antifa violence and they NEVER (They being people like The Lunatic and Zontar) provided any, they just quietly let the topic drop.

Nazis are terrorists, the KKK are terrorists. And until we treat them like terrorists, this country will always be held back from true progress. Freedom of Speech is not supposed to be freedom of terror.

But Antifa are terrorists. Like they threaten to hurt people, they terrorize. BLM is just justifiably angry black people railing against police brutality, ANTIFA are literal masked assailants hurling rocks at concert goers and bear-macing people in red hats. Not MAGA hats, just red ones. If Antifa targeted anyone else except Trump supporters you'd be calling them neo-nazi terrorists. If they existed in another country we'd be sending seal team 6 to deal with them.

Silentpony:

Saelune:

But Antifa are terrorists. Like they threaten to hurt people, they terrorize. BLM is just justifiably angry black people railing against police brutality, ANTIFA are literal masked assailants hurling rocks at concert goers and bear-macing people in red hats. Not MAGA hats, just red ones. If Antifa targeted anyone else except Trump supporters you'd be calling them neo-nazi terrorists. If they existed in another country we'd be sending seal team 6 to deal with them.

Show me proof.

Batou667:
BLM may not be a terrorist organisation but

BLM is not a terrorist organization. Suck it up and stop trying to use them as a scapegoat.

Saelune:

Silentpony:

Saelune:

Show me proof.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/01/29/joseph-alcoff-antifa-marines-philadelphia/

Literally arrested and charged with assault

Silentpony:

Saelune:

Silentpony:

Show me proof.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/01/29/joseph-alcoff-antifa-marines-philadelphia/

And they were charged and arrested and no schools or places of worship were shot up, no nightclubs or malls were shot up, no bombs mailed to people.

So that's 1 assault vs a ton of shootings and bombs.

Saelune:

Silentpony:

Saelune:
Show me proof.

And they were charged and arrested and no schools or places of worship were shot up, no nightclubs or malls were shot up, no bombs mailed to people.

Uh what are you talking about? What school bombing? And aren't you the one who blames entire groups of people based off their lack of standing up to the most radical members? If all Republicans are guilty of letting trump do shit, then aren't all Anitfa guilty of letting these guys do shit?

Silentpony:

Saelune:

Silentpony:

Uh what are you talking about? What school bombing? And aren't you the one who blames entire groups of people based off their lack of standing up to the most radical members? If all Republicans are guilty of letting trump do shit, then aren't all Anitfa guilty of letting these guys do shit?

Unless those radicals are the leaders, your comparison doesn't hold at all.

EDIT: And I thought that Saelune would be the one lowering the POTUS to the level of a common criminal.

CaitSeith:

Silentpony:

Saelune:

EDIT: And I thought that Saelune would be the one lowering the POTUS to the level of a common criminal.

Well the article does say they claim to be leaders. Not sure that's true as Antifa is a scattered organization.
And my point with Trump is we can't have the double-standard of everyone who isn't against Trump is guilty by association, but hold up a minute these guys acted on their own don't tar and feather all of Antifa based off the actions of just a few.

Silentpony:

Saelune:

Silentpony:

I didn't say (or even imply) school bombings. I was referring to the Trump van bomber who while living in a van dedicated as a shrine to Trump, sent a bunch of bombs to a bunch of mostly left-wingers.

And you have it backwards. If Republicans are going to blame ALL of Antifa and BLM, then why don't they do the same for their own side?

I dont think people should assault innocent people. I wont defend the people arrested in your article. I also wont pretend they are a larger menace than the White Supremacists.

Its very hypocritical how right-wingers treat their own compared to how they treat BLM and Antifa. If they held Republicans, Nazis, the KKK, the Police to the standards of Antifa and BLM, they would be doing something to fix it, but they dont.

Have Antifa killed anyone? Nazis have killed over 16 million people. They have killed people on US soil within Trump's presidency.

Saelune:

Silentpony:

Saelune:

I didn't say (or even imply) school bombings. I was referring to the Trump van bomber who while living in a van dedicated as a shrine to Trump, sent a bunch of bombs to a bunch of mostly left-wingers.

And you have it backwards. If Republicans are going to blame ALL of Antifa and BLM, then why don't they do the same for their own side?

I dont think people should assault innocent people. I wont defend the people arrested in your article. I also wont pretend they are a larger menace than the White Supremacists.

Its very hypocritical how right-wingers treat their own compared to how they treat BLM and Antifa. If they held Republicans, Nazis, the KKK, the Police to the standards of Antifa and BLM, they would be doing something to fix it, but they dont.

Have Antifa killed anyone? Nazis have killed over 16 million people. They have killed people on US soil within Trump's presidency.

Antifa first got on the national radar for throwing molitov cocktails at people during a protest. Then again for throwing rocks at ted nugent concert goers.
What I'm saying is the only reason you're okay with them is their political ideology of anti-Trump. If they believed anything else you'd be grouping them right next to KKK and Neo-Nazis.
Also neo nazis while bad are not the same as the actual German nazis. They have similar ideologies sure, but one is a group of white supremacists pissing on Israeli flags, the other is a literal army, as in Generals, tanks, aircraft, etc...

And I'm not saying Antifa is a larger menace than the Klan or Neo Nazis. But I'm not going to give them a pass on their actions just 'cause we align on some issues. the Klan are terrorists, as are Neo Nais. As are Antifa. BLM is not from what I can tell. actually haven't heard much of them these last few years.

Silentpony:

Saelune:

Silentpony:

Antifa first got on the national radar for throwing molitov cocktails at people during a protest. Then again for throwing rocks at ted nugent concert goers.
What I'm saying is the only reason you're okay with them is their political ideology of anti-Trump. If they believed anything else you'd be grouping them right next to KKK and Neo-Nazis.
Also neo nazis while bad are not the same as the actual German nazis. They have similar ideologies sure, but one is a group of white supremacists pissing on Israeli flags, the other is a literal army, as in Generals, tanks, aircraft, etc...

And I'm not saying Antifa is a larger menace than the Klan or Neo Nazis. But I'm not going to give them a pass on their actions just 'cause we align on some issues. the Klan are terrorists, as are Neo Nais. As are Antifa. BLM is not from what I can tell. actually haven't heard much of them these last few years.

Got any sources?

Nazis got on the national radar for invading Poland, and later for causing the Holocaust.

Antifa is about opposing fascism. The US is not full fascist yet, but Trump and Republicans want it to be. In other countries fascism is the standard. As we learned with Hitler and Nazi Germany, sometimes you have to resort to violence.

Saelune:
In other countries fascism is the standard.

...Such as? Closest that I'm aware of that come closest is Singapore I think, and that's still debated. I'm not aware of any modern, genuinely Fascist nations.

Saelune:
SNIP

Yes but by definition that violence is violent. Same with WW2. US generals were in agreement that if they had lost they would have been tried for war crimes for the firing bombings and targeting of civilians. Antifa may be fighting the good fight, maybe, but they're still fighting and using terroristic tactics.

Silentpony:

Saelune:
SNIP

Yes but by definition that violence is violent. Same with WW2. US generals were in agreement that if they had lost they would have been tried for war crimes for the firing bombings and targeting of civilians. Antifa may be fighting the good fight, maybe, but they're still fighting and using terroristic tactics.

We can sit here and condemn the very notion of violence, or we can stop pretending we don't glorify violence with virtually every national holiday ever. Or most media.

WW2 was solved with violence. The Civil War was solved with violence, the Revolutionary War was solved with violence. Its easy to poo poo people who resist via violence when its not our necks on the chopping block.

As I said to Gethsemani though, I think most of it is virtue signaling from people who want to be able to feel better about themselves without actually helping progress. Because the Nazi still gets punched, and you still get to say how much you hate violence.

Hey, dont get me wrong, I would LOVE if we had some sort of system where everything is resolved peacefully, without violence, for the benevolence of us all, but clearly the US is not there yet.

Silentpony:

CaitSeith:

Silentpony:

Well the article does say they claim to be leaders. Not sure that's true as Antifa is a scattered organization.
And my point with Trump is we can't have the double-standard of everyone who isn't against Trump is guilty by association, but hold up a minute these guys acted on their own don't tar and feather all of Antifa based off the actions of just a few.

How is the POTUS the same as that guy? The POTUS is a billionaire (or multimillionaire, I haven't checked), has huge political influence and a massive number of followers. He was ELECTED by the Republicans to represent THEM. No comparison with a self-appointed vigilante whom no one outside the radical spheres has ever heard about before.

Batou667:
The FBI would be entirely justified in keeping tabs on any kind of movement that inspires civil unrest, racial division, disseminates the idea that law enforcement and government are the enemy, and so on.

Just curious, but what other non-crimes should the FBI be investigating and at what point does this detract from the pursuit of actual crime?

Batou667:

What are people to do when you have systematic police department corruption. When the police are the one's breaking the law and interfere and intimidate anyone who tries to go through legal channels to have something done, they have little recourse to do anything other than protest. Only the police can harass, intimidate, assault, murder and incite violence against others and be exempt from repercussion.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2019/04/24/usa-today-revealing-misconduct-records-police-cops/3223984002/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2016/10/11/yesterdays-ku-klux-klan-members-are-todays-police-officers-councilwoman-says/?noredirect=on
https://imdiversity.com/diversity-news/florida-town-stunned-news-police-kkk-ties/

TBH there is nothing that BLM has been saying that the police have not said/done worse to people already.

CaitSeith:

Batou667:
BLM may not be a terrorist organisation but some of their tactics, speech* and the criminal acts inspired by such rhetoric** definitely verge on the terroristic, or could easily be turned into acts of domestic terrorism.

But they didn't.

On July 7, 2016, Micah Xavier Johnson ambushed and fired upon a group of police officers in Dallas, Texas, killing five officers and injuring nine others. Two civilians were also wounded. Johnson was an Army Reserve Afghan War veteran who was reportedly angry over police shootings of black men and stated that he wanted to kill white people, especially white police officers.

Are you telling me that BLM's protracted and widely broadcast campaign of stirring up anti-cop paranoia had nothing to do with this individual becoming radicalised enough to blow away five police officers in what must he must surely have realised was a suicide mission?

Don't get me wrong, I spend a lot more time worrying about people's actions rather than trying to police their speech, much less their thoughts. None of us are clairvoyant (and those who claim to be are charlatans), and trying to regulate speech generally fails to account for context, humour, irony, hyperbole which is implicitly understood within an in-group, and so on. But, riddle me this - as somebody who seems to be arguing on the side of the same leftists who have for years been bewailing the acts that Donald Trump must surely be emboldening through his "dangerous rhetoric" - how can you fail to connect the dots between a movement preaching that cops are racists and the enemy, and a guy going off the rails and vowing to kill white cops?

Batou667:

CaitSeith:

Batou667:

But they didn't.

On July 7, 2016, Micah Xavier Johnson ambushed and fired upon a group of police officers in Dallas, Texas, killing five officers and injuring nine others. Two civilians were also wounded. Johnson was an Army Reserve Afghan War veteran who was reportedly angry over police shootings of black men and stated that he wanted to kill white people, especially white police officers.

Are you telling me that BLM's protracted and widely broadcast campaign of stirring up anti-cop paranoia had nothing to do with this individual becoming radicalised enough to blow away five police officers in what must he must surely have realised was a suicide mission?

Don't get me wrong, I spend a lot more time worrying about people's actions rather than trying to police their speech, much less their thoughts. None of us are clairvoyant (and those who claim to be are charlatans), and trying to regulate speech generally fails to account for context, humour, irony, hyperbole which is implicitly understood within an in-group, and so on. But, riddle me this - as somebody who seems to be arguing on the side of the same leftists who have for years been bewailing the acts that Donald Trump must surely be emboldening through his "dangerous rhetoric" - how can you fail to connect the dots between a movement preaching that cops are racists and the enemy, and a guy going off the rails and vowing to kill white cops?

There are more dots connecting DOOM to the Columbine High School massacre than this (and we all know those dots meant nothing).

And everyone agreed that the shooting was an awful event (by both BLM and the POTUS).

President Barack Obama, who was in Warsaw, Poland, for a NATO meeting, condemned the "vicious, callous and despicable attack."

"I believe I speak for every single American when I say that we are horrified over these events and that we stand united with the people and the police department in Dallas," the president said.

No wishy-washy fine people bullshit like Trump. And no, BLM doesn't say that police is the enemy. Police brutality is.

PS: And you still have to answer ObsidianJones's post debunking your allegations.

ObsidianJones:

Sure, I'm willing to play this game.
Begging the question of why should BLM ignore them?

The answer is surely to call for reform and greater oversight and accountability, not blood in the streets?

And - look, I have the ability to empathise, and I feel the frustration that exists - it's almost always a mistake to extrapolate the failings of a minority (even a large minority) onto the whole when the practices exist as an illicit undercurrent as opposed to an openly declared stance. And that's where I feel BLM differs notably from the various police departments across the USA. If institutional racism exists, that's a failing of the department to screen individual officers for their biases; by comparison, cop hate seems to be an openly espoused stance across BLM, indeed it seems to be a crucial part of their divisive rabble-rousing. Yes, American police seem alarmingly trigger-happy - but as Justine Damond would tell you (if she could), that's not unique to black victims of white cops.

BLM shoudln't ignore the issues you mentioned. But their leaders have been frankly reckless and inflammatory in their rhetoric. I mean, you tell me - have BLM's actions actually improved relations between black people and the police?

Lil devils x:

TBH there is nothing that BLM has been saying that the police have not said/done worse to people already.

Two wrongs don't make a right. We teach that to children, right? When did it stop applying?

Batou667:

Lil devils x:

Two wrongs don't make a right. We teach that to children, right? When did it stop applying?

When the proper channels fail.

If we're gonna condescend oppressed people rising up against their oppressors, boy howdy do I have some American history you might be interested in

Batou667:
by comparison, cop hate seems to be an openly espoused stance across BLM, indeed it seems to be a crucial part of their divisive rabble-rousing.

BLM literally started as a movement because of extrajudicial killings of black people by cops and the failure of the justice system to actually put these murderers behind bars. You don't think there's going to be cop hatred as a core part of the entire movement? The police are a corrupt institution that needs to be rebuilt but please, go off about how a minority's anger over their treatment by racist people in power is a bad thing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here