How are you handling the Summer heat?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

(This of course only applies to people that are currently in Summer. Damn Aussies and their upside-down weather.)

I'm not handling it at all, besides frequent cold showers and an evaporative cooler that does not seem to work at all. Sometimes sit under a tree while hosing myself, but that does very little besides increase my water bill. Got no ideas for my pets besides windows and said cooler. Anyone want to share their experiences? Tips? Maybe send me an igloo?

Leg End:
(This of course only applies to people that are currently in Summer. Damn Aussies and their upside-down weather.)

I'm not handling it at all, besides frequent cold showers and an evaporative cooler that does not seem to work at all. Sometimes sit under a tree while hosing myself, but that does very little besides increase my water bill. Got no ideas for my pets besides windows and said cooler. Anyone want to share their experiences? Tips? Maybe send me an igloo?

Due to being in Texas and after surviving a superbug that permanently damaged my lungs, I have to stay in air conditioning most all the time in the summer. I start to have difficulty breathing when the air temperature rises above 70F or 21.1C and considering it is already well above that by now, I am trapped indoors for the time being. I pretty much sprint from indoor air conditioning to car air conditioning back to indoor air conditioning and have to have my car cooled down before I can get in it. It sucks to have to go to those extremes, but at least it keeps me breathing. If the power goes out I have to evacuate until it is restored now just to stay alive.

Aww man- I was all ready to barge in here and be all like 'Did you just assume my Hemisphere!?'

But I see you've played Upsie-Downie before. Well played.

So, I recently moved to Western New York, near the Canadian Border heading up toward Toronto. I'm Twenty Minutes away from Lake Ontario.

I don't remember temperatures above 78. Which sucks, because I like the heat. It's constantly breezy, cool is the norm. But it's clean air, people are outside in their shorts (which I think is crazy because I'm freezing).

How am I dealing with the Summer Heat? I'm wishing for some.

For tips, I guess that depends on your housing situation, really. I would look for any East-facing windowed room and set up shop there. Keep the drapes drawn, cross ventilation if you can, but find an area where you live that you can focus cooling efforts.

Now to the pets, cooling pads seem to do well for most Pet families. This has a decent review, but one person said it wasn't for chewing pets. But hopefully it will help.

Well there was some nice weather but now we're into some heavy rain but it should clear up by the weekend because this is the north of England.

I just stay in my apartment, or wait till the sun goes down and have a night out in the city.

I'm actually so progressive I don't feel temperature. The arbitrary hot/cold binary is just so dated. Get with the program gramps! Its 2019, its not okay to feel too hot or too cold anymore.

You could make a bubble fort with a fan and a duvet cover:

Several years back I bought some evaporative cooling towels for my parents. The idea being you soak them in ice water, ring out most of the excess, and hang it around your neck. The evaporating water, when in proximity to the major blood vessels in your neck, will supposedly cool you down. I don't know if they work, I never got to use them. I think my folks just threw them in a bucket thinking they were for washing cars.The containers they arrived in were really nice though. They came in handy for storing pencils of the Derwent and Strathmore variety.

One favorite thing in the summer is making my own, err, soda? Take a very large cup, like a ridiculous 'only in America' size cup and fill it entirely with ice. Then fill 70-75% to the top with club soda. It's just cheap, carbonated water, not tonic water, which contains quinine. Fill the remainder almost to the top with a strongly sweet juice like orange or pineapple, and mix loosely with a crude implement like a butter knife. The more crude the better. The super-sweet diabetes juice will dilute just enough to the point where you don't notice it's been watered down. And the ice helps immensely. Feel free to fill up on two.

Frezzato:
Several years back I bought some evaporative cooling towels for my parents. The idea being you soak them in ice water, ring out most of the excess, and hang it around your neck. The evaporating water, when in proximity to the major blood vessels in your neck, will supposedly cool you down. I don't know if they work, I never got to use them. I think my folks just threw them in a bucket thinking they were for washing cars.The containers they arrived in were really nice though. They came in handy for storing pencils of the Derwent and Strathmore variety.

One favorite thing in the summer is making my own, err, soda? Take a very large cup, like a ridiculous 'only in America' size cup and fill it entirely with ice. Then fill 70-75% to the top with club soda. It's just cheap, carbonated water, not tonic water, which contains quinine. Fill the remainder almost to the top with a strongly sweet juice like orange or pineapple, and mix loosely with a crude implement like a butter knife. The more crude the better. The super-sweet diabetes juice will dilute just enough to the point where you don't notice it's been watered down. And the ice helps immensely. Feel free to fill up on two.

That reminds me.. Summer is for making Margaritas! My friends always bring me back a good supply of El Jimador Tequila from Mexico since it can be difficult to find in some places. If you can't find that Don Eduardo Tequilla tastes similar but costs way more. Get a shaker with ice and add shot and half of El Jimador, 1/2 shot Cointreau, 1/2 shot lime juice, fill with sweet n sour then add a splash of guava juice. shake it and pour it into a chilled salted glass garnished with lime. If you can't find guava juice you can add a mix of pear, strawberry and orange to get a similar flavor to guava. It will likely make you sweat more, but at least you will be enjoying it while you do. :)

Silentpony:
I'm actually so progressive I don't feel temperature. The arbitrary hot/cold binary is just so dated. Get with the program gramps! Its 2019, its not okay to feel too hot or too cold anymore.

Does that make you pan-tempertural?

trunkage:

Silentpony:

I prefer the term TransClimate

[quoteDamn Aussies and their upside-down weather.)[/quote]

Shoe will be on the other foot in six months time. Ask me then.

Lil devils x:

Due to being in Texas and after surviving a superbug that permanently damaged my lungs, I have to stay in air conditioning most all the time in the summer. I start to have difficulty breathing when the air temperature rises above 70F or 21.1C and considering it is already well above that by now, I am trapped indoors for the time being. I pretty much sprint from indoor air conditioning to car air conditioning back to indoor air conditioning and have to have my car cooled down before I can get in it. It sucks to have to go to those extremes, but at least it keeps me breathing. If the power goes out I have to evacuate until it is restored now just to stay alive.[/quote]

Holy shit.

:(

Fine. I have to wear coveralls and do manual labour in no air conditioning. It's hot and gross and it's going to be above 30 for another couple months, but whatever.

Drathnoxis:
Fine. I have to wear coveralls and do manual labour in no air conditioning. It's hot and gross and it's going to be above 30 for another couple months, but whatever.

Doing that here in coveralls when it is over 40C at times would likely kill you. sometimes it even gets up to 45C here in June.

Still living in a country where basically no home and barely a workplace have air conditioning. Because it would be seen as decadent and is not really needed.

Yes, a couple of the last summers were quite hot, but when climate change enters the equation, people are always reminded of how much energy air conditioning uses and how bad it is for the climate to use it. So many people see it as immoral now.

by hiding behind the rain. I prefer it this way. heat is enemy. snow would be better. but very very wet everything will have to do. the heat is eyeing up my albino ghost skin, anticipating the clouds' next division, I can sense its deathly carcinogenic stare hungrily penetrating those beautiful sky fluffs

Trying not to drown.

Lil devils x:
Due to being in Texas and after surviving a superbug that permanently damaged my lungs, I have to stay in air conditioning most all the time in the summer. I start to have difficulty breathing when the air temperature rises above 70F or 21.1C and considering it is already well above that by now, I am trapped indoors for the time being. I pretty much sprint from indoor air conditioning to car air conditioning back to indoor air conditioning and have to have my car cooled down before I can get in it. It sucks to have to go to those extremes, but at least it keeps me breathing. If the power goes out I have to evacuate until it is restored now just to stay alive.

Hey, I'm in Texas, too! DFW area here, still recovering from the recent rain bomb and an illness myself, but not nearly as badly as you. I'm sorry.

Anyway, we've not had any of our infamously brutal heat yet *knocking on wood so hard, my knuckles have ruptured*, so haven't had to take drastic measures, but we do have a pool and can swim when it gets into the +100-degree temps. Otherwise, we stay indoors in the A/C or in a bar drinking cold booze.

Southern Germany is surprisingly bearable so far. Not like last year. Last year was a fucking death march.

I live in a tropical island. When its not raining, everyday is a summer heat.

When you respond to most of your thread

Lil devils x:

...And here I thought I had it bad in just existing in triple digit temps. I wish I had better tips for you, but the best thing I can think of is getting something like thisin the event that things go very pear-shaped and you need at least some time to be bought to get into a cooler environment. There are a lot of coolers like that one popping up, but a solid one that accepts USB is a major component for SHTF situations, and power banks are quite cheap that could power something that potentially intensive for a few hours. Needs ice water to be most effective however, but a freezer will last a while with it's ice, and there are even some USB fridge solutions to try and preserve the ice as long as possible.

Lil devils x:
You could make a bubble fort with a fan and a duvet cover

Ooh I've always wanted to try that, though with the temperature here and how dry it is, I think fans are mostly just generating more heat. Thanks though!

Squilookle:
Aww man- I was all ready to barge in here and be all like 'Did you just assume my Hemisphere!?'

You guys should be arrested for stealing the cold!

ObsidianJones:
So, I recently moved to Western New York, near the Canadian Border heading up toward Toronto. I'm Twenty Minutes away from Lake Ontario.

I don't remember temperatures above 78. Which sucks, because I like the heat. It's constantly breezy, cool is the norm. But it's clean air, people are outside in their shorts (which I think is crazy because I'm freezing).

How am I dealing with the Summer Heat? I'm wishing for some.

I will fucking trade you, dude. Reaches mid-high 110s at peak here. I've loved summer heat before, but that was before moving to an actual desert.

For tips, I guess that depends on your housing situation, really. I would look for any East-facing windowed room and set up shop there. Keep the drapes drawn, cross ventilation if you can, but find an area where you live that you can focus cooling efforts.

More or less have, which is sadly not a room I'm able to spend most of my time in.

Now to the pets, cooling pads seem to do well for most Pet families. This has a decent review, but one person said it wasn't for chewing pets. But hopefully it will help.

Hot damn, these things are perfect. I have cats though so they're probably kill within minutes, but I'll find a workaround. Thanks for this.

Frezzato:

Huh. Think I saw things like these at the front of my local dollar store. For much more than a dollar of course. Might just pick them up.

This I'll be looking into as well. I'll be barbecuing over the next few weeks, so might as well make the drinks too. Thanks.

trunkage:

Silentpony:
I prefer the term TransClimate

The term is actually Temperature Fluid.

Hawki:

Shoe will be on the other foot in six months time. Ask me then.

An eye for an eye, cold thief.

Satinavian:
Still living in a country where basically no home and barely a workplace have air conditioning. Because it would be seen as decadent and is not really needed.

Yes, a couple of the last summers were quite hot, but when climate change enters the equation, people are always reminded of how much energy air conditioning uses and how bad it is for the climate to use it. So many people see it as immoral now.

Evaporative Coolers are bae. The small one I linked to Devils at the top of this post or bigger ones will do wonders for you. Proper huge-ass units take up little power compared to their AC cooling brothers, and work just off of natural evaporation. Good luck with that heat.

PsychedelicDiamond:
Southern Germany is surprisingly bearable so far. Not like last year. Last year was a fucking death march.

And for everyone currently experiencing biblical floods, I'd trade for those too as long as they actually last that long, because if it rains one day here, the next day is pretty much like drowning in boiling water. Video related and a shout out to everyone here that is going to be pushing 110-115+ degree temperatures. We're in this hell together.

By living in England where, even as I type this comment, it is pouring with rain

MA is at the point where I've only needed a fan so far.

We're in the standard cycle of hot day followed by severe thunderstorms at night, so I just try to ride out the days and open up the house at night.

Something you could consider is a hacked together low-tech air conditioner, which basically consists of filling a metal bowl with ice and pointing a couple fans at it. It does mean you will have to keep a steady stream of ice in the freezer (I fill 2L jugs with water, freeze them then cut the plastic off and use the cylinder), but I found that it can make an appriciable difference as long as you keep the shades and windows closed.

Which is what I'm doing anyway since the pollen is at all time levels right now, and it feels like I smoked two packs and sucked off a lava monster just breathing the air.

Small animals love this since they run up and sit near the ice and try to lick it. So if you have cats the air will smell slightly of cat-breath, but it may be worth it.

Leg End:

Squilookle:

You guys should be arrested for stealing the cold!

Come down here and see what the Summer is like- you'd be stealing the cold too if you were here!

I live in Cumbria - we do not have this summer heat of which you speak. We do, however, have slightly warmer rain.

British Summer. 13oC and pouring with rain half the time. Dear god please let's not have another 2010. Still, now I'm going to the gym again, it's nice to be able to cool off more easily afterwards.

Lil devils x:

Leg End:

Damn, that sucks.

I'm also in TX but that means I'm in a house with AC so as long and that doesn't breakdown, heat really just impacts my ability to work out outside at certain times of day. I have had the AC breakdown before though, when it did it got hoooooot. It wasn't too bad during the day when I could put some water on myself to keep cool but getting to sleep was really rough, my fan couldn't turn up high enough.

Weather hasn't been too bad around here, but one thing that has had surprising benefits was putting in some real effort to lose weight. Might be the loss of fat, might be the low calorie intake (might be both), might be the fact that I'm eating ice cold smoothies for my lunch, but my heat tolerance seems to have been tweaked. It's not a huge difference, but thus far I've had to adjust my thermostat up about 4 degrees because I've been finding my prior comfort zone too chilly.

As someone who has just returned from Download Festival (heavy metal/rock music festival) which featured lots of rain, mud and cold nights. I can tell you the British summer is in full effect. In fact the first nice day was yesterday, on the way home.

Still, could be worse. My friend had to be evacuated from Wainfleet as his home was in danger of flooding. So yeah, British summer is great.

It's not quite summer here yet, but it is raining an awful lot.... so there's that.

Rains a lot in Connecticut so it's been nice so far outside of a couple of days that were insanely hot. Summer kicks off late here and spring seems to last an extra month. Around mid July do you need an AC daily.

I stayed in Caribbean waters up to my nose and did not move.

So my weekend went like this...
Saturday night the AC went out. Went to the store and bought a small ac unit to try and help me survive it. After I get back, the power goes out entirely for the area due to storms so that was pointless and I instead evacuate to my car AC and try to wait it out a bit in the car to see if the power comes back on. It didn't for a while so I went and got a hotel room for what was left of the night, but in reality it was already almost sun up so I keep the room and sleep in and stay most of Sunday. I come home Monday night and the Internet was out...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here