How are you handling the Summer heat?

Pages PREV 1 2

A fairly nice A/C unit in our bedroom for when the nights get above 75F (rare before July). It usually doesn't get too hot where I'm at (Seattle), but both me and my husband sleep much better while cool. Got the unit for free from a "giving away" board that he's part of with a few thousand co-workers.

During the day when I'm working from home, I just open a front window and the back sliding door and let a breeze through when it gets above 80.

Welp, knocking on wood in my previous post didn't help; North Texas is starting to kick into its summer self: currently +90 degrees (F) with a real-feel of +100, humid as SHIT, and if you stand still quietly in the intense rays of the suns, you can actually hear your flesh sizzling like bacon on a skillet. What's worse, due to all the rain we've had recently, our pool hasn't been able to warm up enough for us jump in comfortably yet (wow, that is the most first world problem I've ever personally uttered.)

BTW, does anyone have any tried and tested remedies for mosquitoes?!? They are by far and away the WORST part of summer; heat be damned! Our nightly ritual is to sit outside under our awning with a cocktail and cigarettes and watch sports programming, and the mosquitoes have their way with us; it's a wonder we've not gotten West Nile or malaria by now. We've tried citronella candles, spray-on repellants, those coils you burn and give off that noxious scent, etc., but nothing seems to really keep them away; I'm losing about a pint a night to those literal blood-sucking bastards!

Xprimentyl:
Welp, knocking on wood in my previous post didn?t help; North Texas is starting to kick into its summer self: currently +90 degrees (F) with a real-feel of +100, humid as SHIT, and if you stand still quietly in the intense rays of the suns, you can actually hear your flesh sizzling like bacon on a skillet. What?s worse, due to all the rain we?ve had recently, our pool hasn?t been able to warm up enough for us jump in comfortably yet (wow, that is the most first world problem I?ve ever personally uttered.)

BTW, does anyone have any tried and tested remedies for mosquitoes?!? They are by far and away the WORST part of summer; heat be damned! Our nightly ritual is to sit outside under our awning with a cocktail and cigarettes and watch sports programming, and the mosquitoes have their way with us; it?s a wonder we?ve not gotten West Nile or malaria by now. We?ve tried citronella candles, spray-on repellants, those coils you burn and give off that noxious scent, etc., but nothing seems to really keep them away; I?m losing about a pint a night to those literal blood-sucking bastards!

If you are able to do so, remove anything possible around the yard that holds standing water and treat with water tablets anything you cannot remove, even those puddles forming in ruts in the grass and that does help quite a bit. Also using something like yard guard around the area can help reduce them as well, as well as reduce chiggers if they are also an issue as is common here in our region. If your city is not doing mosquito spraying or it does not reach your area or you live in an area that is too large to treat, your only option in the end may just have to be mosquito netting. In some areas it is so bad there is no other real option, and it only works as well as you do to make sure they cannot get inside it.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear but as our climate changes, we can only expect the mosquitos to get worse. When we do not get good freezes over winter they get out of control and before you know it will be like living in the rainforest with the amount of mosquitos and diseases they bring. When I used to work the stand out at the racetrack for my Dad they were unbearable due to all the ponds and open untreated land out there and I made myself a mosquito netting suit.. sort of like a beekeeper but with mosquito netting to keep the mosquitos out. (Before my father passed away he used to design, build and race prostock cars so I pretty much grew up around racing and numerous track owners in Texas are close family friends.) Hey you don't have to sew your own like I did they sell them on Amazon now! XD

https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Repellent-Ultra-fine-Protective-Gardening/dp/B01I5AX9UO/ref=asc_df_B01I5AX9UO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198093803401&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1220078593514089447&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026890&hvtargid=pla-349444348000&psc=1

If you don't like that one though just look up "mosquito net suit" and you will find other options. I see I am not the only one that thought that was a great idea haha!

There are also options for sprays you spray on yourself, lotions or wipes, but I wouldn't recommend those as they do tend to get into your bloodstream and could have possible long term side effects that have not been well researched yet.

Lil devils x:

Xprimentyl:
Welp, knocking on wood in my previous post didn?t help; North Texas is starting to kick into its summer self: currently +90 degrees (F) with a real-feel of +100, humid as SHIT, and if you stand still quietly in the intense rays of the suns, you can actually hear your flesh sizzling like bacon on a skillet. What?s worse, due to all the rain we?ve had recently, our pool hasn?t been able to warm up enough for us jump in comfortably yet (wow, that is the most first world problem I?ve ever personally uttered.)

BTW, does anyone have any tried and tested remedies for mosquitoes?!? They are by far and away the WORST part of summer; heat be damned! Our nightly ritual is to sit outside under our awning with a cocktail and cigarettes and watch sports programming, and the mosquitoes have their way with us; it?s a wonder we?ve not gotten West Nile or malaria by now. We?ve tried citronella candles, spray-on repellants, those coils you burn and give off that noxious scent, etc., but nothing seems to really keep them away; I?m losing about a pint a night to those literal blood-sucking bastards!

If you are able to do so, remove anything possible around the yard that holds standing water and treat with water tablets anything you cannot remove, even those puddles forming in ruts in the grass and that does help quite a bit. Also using something like yard guard around the area can help reduce them as well, as well as reduce chiggers if they are also an issue as is common here in our region. If your city is not doing mosquito spraying or it does not reach your area or you live in an area that is too large to treat, your only option in the end may just have to be mosquito netting. In some areas it is so bad there is no other real option, and it only works as well as you do to make sure they cannot get inside it.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear but as our climate changes, we can only expect the mosquitos to get worse. When we do not get good freezes over winter they get out of control and before you know it will be like living in the rainforest with the amount of mosquitos and diseases they bring. When I used to work the stand out at the racetrack for my Dad they were unbearable due to all the ponds and open untreated land out there and I made myself a mosquito netting suit.. sort of like a beekeeper but with mosquito netting to keep the mosquitos out. (Before my father passed away he used to design, build and race prostock cars so I pretty much grew up around racing and numerous track owners in Texas are close family friends.) Hey you don't have to sew your own like I did they sell them on Amazon now! XD

https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Repellent-Ultra-fine-Protective-Gardening/dp/B01I5AX9UO/ref=asc_df_B01I5AX9UO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198093803401&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1220078593514089447&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026890&hvtargid=pla-349444348000&psc=1

If you don't like that one though just look up "mosquito net suit" and you will find other options. I see I am not the only one that thought that was a great idea haha!

There are also options for sprays you spray on yourself, lotions or wipes, but I wouldn't recommend those as they do tend to get into your bloodstream and could have possible long term side effects that have not been well researched yet.

Lol! My girlfriend already thinks I'm a spaz; if I came home wearing a suit like that, I'd only confirm it! Plus, I can't imagine relaxing on the patio would be so through that mosquito armor!

But thanks for the consideration. We don't have any standing water save for the pool, but it's treated and the pump keeps it circulating, so it's not really "standing." I've thought about rigging some netting around the patio, but it's not really designed in such a way that we could seal it in more than a nominal way; plus, we're in and out so often swimming and grilling, we'd pretty much render the netting useless. And Plano, TX doesn't spray for mosquitoes because that'd be too much like right. *grumble, grumble, grumble.* Our neighbors gifted us with electrified mosquito swatters last year, but they've since died on us. They weren't the most efficient of preventative measures, but damned if it wasn't cathartic swinging those things around and hearing that ZZZNAP! knowing you'd extinguished the life of yet another of Satan's minions.

Where I live, actual temperature rarely goes over 90 Fahrenheit, but humidity pushes felt temperature into the 95-105 degree range consistently. Realistically, all we need to do is manage humidity. I have central air but I don't like keeping the themostat low; I prefer to just use it as-needed to reduce indoor humidity. When it gets bad during the summer's hottest months, I have a couple custom-built condenser rigs I like to use -- a floor version for bedroom air circulation, and a desktop version to cool and dehumidify my gaming hardware.

Hey, Leg End. This weekend I went to Orlando for a family trip. Due to... reasons, Orlando has become hotter and more humid over the last few years.

My cat is a Russian Blue, and she was fine until we actually touched down and got into the Orlando Air. It took me 4 minutes to find my Car, and that's all it took for my cat to be Panting.

Cats do not pant. I never saw this before.

The car was baking under an Orlando Sun. I cranked the AC and rubbed her with water from my water bottle for 25 minutes before I started towards a Petsmart. And even still, she was panting and generally worrying the hell out of me.

And I remembered our conversation.

And that's where I found the Cool Pet Pad(tm) Self-Cooling Pet Pad.

I ripped it open, put it into her carrier. She put down one paw, then the other, and then she curled up onto it and rested. No more panting. No shaking. Nothing. She felt peace for the first time in 45 minutes.

I can wholeheartedly recommend these things. My cat was probably saved due to them. I got two because while it's pressure activated, it loses its coolness after 2-3 hours. It's supposedly ready to go again after 15 minutes of non-use. So, it made sense to get two so that if she runs out of coolness for one, she can walk to the other one and use that one up, giving the first pad ample time to recover.

ObsidianJones:

And that's where I found the Cool Pet Pad(tm) Self-Cooling Pet Pad.

I have one of those for the dog, but he tried to eat it so I had to take it away. It is nice and cool though.

I was just reading about the horrible heat wave spreading across France. On a somewhat related and horrible-to-say note, this year will be great for wine collectors I imagine.

Anyway, it's important for homeowners to clear out their air conditioner drains this month -- if it's been on non-stop like mine has. Be sure to pour a cup of bleach (or something more environmentally friendly) through the drainage pipe leading from the AC to the outside once a month.

I neglected to clear mine this year so my AC unit was blowing hot air or simply refused to turn on. I had to take my shop vac outside and connect it to the outside AC drain with some duct tape and vacuum out the horrible, jelly-like algae that had grown inside. This after turning off the dedicated breaker, of course.

Replace your filter at least once a month as well.

Unrelated existential dread.
I am preparing for a major test at the end of this month, and the preparation is killing me.

AC's are open from 12 to 18 hours a day.

With difficulty, the heat makes it difficult to get to sleep. And during the day, I begin to understand why siestas are a thing.

Tiny bit of a bump, but current temps in my particular hellhole are now firmly in the triple digits for the foreseeable future, and 110s are probably next week. The Igloo joke just stopped being one. Both a joke and an Igloo.

panalow:
AC's are open from 12 to 18 hours a day.

I just wish my windows could support standard AC units. If only the ones that could fit weren't so stupidly expensive, at around three times the price.

I think I can speak for everyone in Britain right now in saying, this heat can fuck right back off to Africa where it came from. I'm not built for these temperatures, I miss the rain and cold.

Catfood220:
I think I can speak for everyone in Britain right now in saying, this heat can fuck right back off to Africa where it came from. I'm not built for these temperatures, I miss the rain and cold.

My skin is melting. Swear to god, actually melting

Indoors, and with the A/C creating more C02 for the world to suffocate on you???

Fuck. It was fucking 33oC today in my home city. It's getting unpleasantly hot for me at 23oC. I think I should emigrate to Iceland if it carries on like this.

I'm in Asia and the humidity is fucking brutal here so my solution is to stay indoors with the AC cranked to eleven and catch up on old video games.

I did a summer in my old apartment with no AC and it was not a good time. The landlord installed a unit that October and even late it was a welcome relief but never ever again. I don't think I got any sleep for almost three months.

We hit 40c yesterday. Fortunately, my office has AC. Unfortunately, the soundproofed room I rehearsed in with the band afterwards did not. Shit got hot as balls in there.

I remember walking out at 21:00h when we were done and thinking to myself how refreshing the evening air was. It was still 33c out.

I don't think I'm cut out for all this global warming bollocks. Was hoping death would be a little quicker and colder to be honest. And heroic, if poss. But fat chance of heroism in this heat. Unless the heroism is to be found in the water or freezer like a drowning/trapped child or summin. Cold water, obvs!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here