US Justice Department report discloses "thousands" of minors abused in detention centers. [POLITICS]

Pages 1 2 NEXT

In a shocking twist of events it turned out that state sanctioned detention centers, where children are separated from their parents, provide much better opportunities for sexual predators than pizzeria chains.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/27/us/immigrant-children-sexual-abuse.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Where's QAnon when you need them?

Also, last year I suggested that these centres were ineffective as it's still better than where they came from. At least Trump listened to my advice and decided to make them worse. Still haven't got enough torture and murder yet. He needs to step up his game as its not discouraging enough

So child prisons aren't much better than adult prisons?

Color me shocked.

I wonder what zontar would say about this.

Marik2:

I don't, really

Dirty Hipsters:
So child prisons aren't much better than adult prisons?

Color me shocked.

I would say worse

Since you know its kids

In concentration camps

Marik2:

Whatever happened to that guy anyway?

We all know that Trump supporters lack moral compass. They're vile people with no sense of decency. There's literally nothing good about Trump that someone can cling on to say "this is why I support him". All the support comes from people who hate the same people that Trump hates. Hatred, racism, bigotry and general moral bankruptcy is what ties all the Trump supporters together. And they know it. They're not even trying to hide it. They'll deny it, but they'll show their true face pretty much in the same conversation. These fuckin' sociopaths are upset, not because children are being separated from their families, not because human beings are being treated like garbage and not because children are being sexually abused. They're literally only upset because we called them out on it when we called these places what they truly are - concentration camps.

Shadowstar38:

Marik2:

Got sick and tired of people disagreeing with them

Shadowstar38:

Marik2:

Perma-banned for saying the response to literal actual confirmed and self-identified Nazis was just more white-male-bashing.

Kwak:

Shadowstar38:

Marik2:

Perma-banned for saying the response to literal actual confirmed and self-identified Nazis was just more white-male-bashing.

You're thinking of Lunatic there, Zontar isn't banned.

Hang on what? There's two of them? Aw...

(oh yeah, I remember him now. Not a lot of difference really.)

Adam Jensen:
We all know that Trump supporters lack moral compass. They're vile people with no sense of decency. There's literally nothing good about Trump that someone can cling on to say "this is why I support him". All the support comes from people who hate the same people that Trump hates. Hatred, racism, bigotry and general moral bankruptcy is what ties all the Trump supporters together. And they know it. They're not even trying to hide it. They'll deny it, but they'll show their true face pretty much in the same conversation. These fuckin' sociopaths are upset, not because children are being separated from their families, not because human beings are being treated like garbage and not because children are being sexually abused. They're literally only upset because we called them out on it when we called these places what they truly are - concentration camps.

That this still needs to be pointed out is depressing.

Adam Jensen:

Which is why I don't understand why CM156 is still going to vote for him. He doesn't seem to fit with the evil alt right crowd.

Marik2:

Adam Jensen:

Which is why I don't understand why CM156 is still going to vote for him. He doesn't seem to fit with the evil alt right crowd.

I am not convinced he will necessarily do so. He has vocally opposed much of what Trump has done and what Trump supports so I am sure he would rather have someone else in office tbh. I think it is rather a difficult decision for him of weighing his priorities with the good and bad that comes with Trump. He has never come across as actually supporting much of what Trump supports at all, he seems to be just a bit more concerned with worrying about what "the other side will do" moreso that actually supporting Trump or Trumps policies.

He only uses Trump as his avatar because he knows it is completely obnoxious. XD

This report is over four years (2014-2018) so it's not just Trump doing this. You wanna mention that right up cause if you don't people will treat it as you trying to shield Obama from his hand in these child sexual assaults. I myself genuinely thought it was a recent phenomenon that occurred only since the child separation policy of Trump's begun.

Dreiko:
This report is over four years (2014-2018) so it's not just Trump doing this. You wanna mention that right up cause if you don't people will treat it as you trying to shield Obama from his hand in these child sexual assaults. I myself genuinely thought it was a recent phenomenon that occurred only since the child separation policy of Trump's begun.

It's almost like the United States is and has been an imperialist, carceral state independent of whether the President is Trump or some other Republican or, indeed, Democrat. It's almost like focusing on individual personalities misses the entire goddamned point.

Seanchaidh:

Dreiko:

It's almost like the United States is and has been an imperialist, carceral state independent of whether the President is Trump or some other Republican or, indeed, Democrat. It's almost like focusing on individual personalities misses the entire goddamned point.

Trump basically put a personality that's easy to badmouth next to these reprehensible policies so suddenly everyone who was fine with them in 2014 is aghast now. If that's what it takes for these policies to be considered as badly as they deserve to be and to be changed I guess that's a silver lining his victory. Though it doesn't bode well for our future cause anything a nonTrump president does next will be compared to this and excused despite still being terrible, if only marginally less so.

Focusing on personalities is what allows people to get away with these republican-esque policies and still be considered democrats, cause if you're not against abortions and don't hate tan/gay people you're instantly good for the working poor, apparently.

Marik2:

Lil devils x:

I am not convinced he will necessarily do so. He has vocally opposed much of what Trump has done and what Trump supports so I am sure he would rather have someone else in office tbh. I think it is rather a difficult decision for him of weighing his priorities with the good and bad that comes with Trump. He has never come across as actually supporting much of what Trump supports at all, he seems to be just a bit more concerned with worrying about what "the other side will do" moreso that actually supporting Trump or Trumps policies.

It honestly depends on a variety of factors for me. The issues I see as most important and his rhetoric and actual results. For example, I'm pro-gun and generally anti-war. As long as we don't end up in a shooting war with Iran and we continue to get pro-second amendment judges on the federal bench, I will consider that to be a positive, for instance.

It also depends on who the democrats plan on running and what their platform is. I also have to consider state elections. We don't have any senators up, but we do have a governor election. So I have to decide if I'll be voting for the Republic incumbent (Mike Parson, who is only in office due to the former governor resigning) or someone like Nicole Galloway who has been turning heads.

He only uses Trump as his avatar because he knows it is completely obnoxious. XD

Hey, I resemble that.

Seanchaidh:

Dreiko:

You aren't going to get the Chosen One to fix everything, true. You might get a lesser evil, so it's not missing the entire point.

CM156:

Marik2:

Lil devils x:

It honestly depends on a variety of factors for me. The issues I see as most important and his rhetoric and actual results. For example, I'm pro-gun and generally anti-war. As long as we don't end up in a shooting war with Iran and we continue to get pro-second amendment judges on the federal bench, I will consider that to be a positive, for instance.

It also depends on who the democrats plan on running and what their platform is. I also have to consider state elections. We don't have any senators up, but we do have a governor election. So I have to decide if I'll be voting for the Republic incumbent (Mike Parson, who is only in office due to the former governor resigning) or someone like Nicole Galloway who has been turning heads.

Hey, I resemble that.

I will literally never understand someone voting republican and saying they are anti-war. Seems like republicans are pretty eager to get us into new and interesting wars, I mean we almost went to war with Iran just a few days ago and only stopped since someone told trump that just having a drone shot down wasn't a good enough reason not to be blamed as the aggressor. We want a war with Iran really badly but we haven't been able to get them to attack us enough to warrant the aggression we want to use against them and not have the international community pounce on us. So far we have tried it with the ship mine thing, pulling out of the nuke pact with them and putting on more sanctions, and now the drone but they haven't really gone for the bait in the right way.

This isn't too different then how we want to war with Iraq back in 2003. The main difference is that people still remember the war with Iraq which is still kinda going on so they aren't quite as willing to just fall for something like that and there is no way trump would get congressional approval for a war so it would just feed into more calls for impeachment since technically congress has to vote to go to war.

Worgen:
I will literally never understand someone voting republican and saying they are anti-war.

It's pretty much the same reason why someone would vote for Republicans and claim that they're pro-freedom, pro-life, pro-family values, pro-small government, pro-fiscal conservatism etc. despite Republicans being the very embodiment of the opposite. I'd get a warning or a ban if I told you what the reason was, but everyone who doesn't and wouldn't vote for Republicans can see it. The rest of the fuckin' world can see it clear as day and they're laughing at the US.

Adam Jensen:

Worgen:
I will literally never understand someone voting republican and saying they are anti-war.

It's pretty much the same reason why someone would vote for Republicans and claim that they're pro-freedom, pro-life, pro-family values, pro-small government, pro-fiscal conservatism etc. despite Republicans being the very embodiment of the opposite. I'd get a warning or a ban if I told you what the reason was, but everyone who doesn't and wouldn't vote for Republicans can see it. The rest of the fuckin' world can see it clear as day and they're laughing at the US.

Well, for things like pro-life they do regularly try and get rid of Roe Vs Wade. Pro family... thats kinda hard to define, I think its mainly just a handjob directed at the nuclear family idea. Pro small government is more just getting rid of social programs since someone might not have earned something, which conservatives seem to have a real problem with, that anyone can get something they didn't have to bleed for. The pro-freedom thing is rather new and seems to have mainly come around after that which will not be mentioned buy has the initials gg and I think it mainly comes from the idea that telling someone not to call someone a "fag" is infringing on their free speech, which is stupid. Pro-fiscal conservative is one of those things that only makes any sense if you are not paying any attention to what they do and ultimately comes down to them just wanting to gut social spending and move it all to military.

"No but you see, it doesn't count because these kids aren't white." -Some Trump Fans, presumably

Worgen:

I mean, without wishing to indulge in the "both sides" fallacy, I don't think anyone who values an anti-war stance can really be comfortable voting for any mainstream politician in my country. I am of the opinion that the last unambiguously justified conventional war we fought was the first Gulf War. I have still not made up my mind about our various deployments to African nations in a "peacekeeping" role.

CM156:

Worgen:

I mean, without wishing to indulge in the "both sides" fallacy, I don't think anyone who values an anti-war stance can really be comfortable voting for any mainstream politician in my country. I am of the opinion that the last unambiguously justified conventional war we fought was the first Gulf War. I have still not made up my mind about our various deployments to African nations in a "peacekeeping" role.

I may be an outlier on this one but I always felt the Afghanistan invasion in 2001 after the September 11 attacks were a justifiable response to an act of pretty hardcore aggression by a group who at the time seemed to enjoy a state of defacto endorsement by the government of Afghanistan (the country of origin of its perpetrators not-withstanding). Like it was still a bad idea then and in retrospect since and the rhetoric it spawned caused the Iraq War which was just a fucking nonsense and a nightmare from Day 1.

.......Christ the Afghanistan War is going to be 20 Years old in two years.

CM156:

Worgen:

Well, the US has a rather shitty foreign policy no matter which party is in charge but republicans seem to like to get us into wars, democrats seem to prefer smaller scale strikes to get results without a full scale war, but don't seem to push for ending the conflicts as much as I would prefer. But the US involvement in other countries is complicated and even if we do decide to pull out, we tend to do it in a stupid way. Deciding to do it quickly rather then properly. We tend to halfass a lot of things and it seems like we start doing that mostly under republicans then continue it under democrats. But what people forget about WW2 is that we had a big presence in germany for like 8 years after we defeated hitler. It takes a lot of time and effort to bring a country back from something like that, so I can kinda understand why democrates are hesitant to just end things.

Gordon_4:
I may be an outlier on this one but I always felt the Afghanistan invasion in 2001 after the September 11 attacks were a justifiable response to an act of pretty hardcore aggression by a group who at the time seemed to enjoy a state of defacto endorsement by the government of Afghanistan (the country of origin of its perpetrators not-withstanding). Like it was still a bad idea then and in retrospect since and the rhetoric it spawned caused the Iraq War which was just a fucking nonsense and a nightmare from Day 1.

I agree about Afghanistan being justifiable, but disagree that it caused Iraq.

Iraq happened because the Bush Administration wanted Iraq to happen. 911 was the excuse, Afghanistan didn't really matter IMHO. They wandered off from a war they could justify to waste blood and treasure in a debacle they couldn't and destabilised the Middle East. Had they stayed with the one war, put all their efforts into Afghanistan...well, I can't say they'd definitely have "won", but it'd have helped massively in all sorts of ways.

Dreiko:

Seanchaidh:

Dreiko:

Trump basically put a personality that's easy to badmouth next to these reprehensible policies so suddenly everyone who was fine with them in 2014 is aghast now. If that's what it takes for these policies to be considered as badly as they deserve to be and to be changed I guess that's a silver lining his victory. Though it doesn't bode well for our future cause anything a nonTrump president does next will be compared to this and excused despite still being terrible, if only marginally less so.

Focusing on personalities is what allows people to get away with these republican-esque policies and still be considered democrats, cause if you're not against abortions and don't hate tan/gay people you're instantly good for the working poor, apparently.

People weren't fine with this under Obama, people just didn't know. The average citizen here in the States wasn't paying attention to a single damn thing under Obama because it felt "comfy" I guess. Like there was nothing to fear. It's why Obama gets so many free passes. He doesn't get them because they liked what he did, it's because they don't know what he did. It didn't help that the things the Republicans were pushing as scandals at the time were mind-numbingly stupid.

And there IS a difference between the Obama and Trump administrations regarding these facilities. It wasn't good under Obama, far from it, but the Trump administration made it worse instead of fixing anything. They've gone out of their way to maximize human suffering. The conditions these people are now living in is intended and actively fought for. They WANT this. Obama doesn't get a free pass for capitulating to the Republicans by starting all this is the first place. He was a fucking fool. But the Trump administration doesn't get to go "Hey, Obama did this too". It's disingenuous and they fucking know it is.

Nedoras:
It didn't help that the things the Republicans were pushing as scandals at the time were mind-numbingly stupid.

I suspect there's a reason for that (and it's not straightforward stupidity); the Republicans are playing to a very different crowd.

The chunk of voters most likely to be won over by the Republicans is not likely to care much about news stories of cruelty overseas, or malfeasance at border facilities.

Silvanus:

Nedoras:
It didn't help that the things the Republicans were pushing as scandals at the time were mind-numbingly stupid.

I suspect there's a reason for that (and it's not straightforward stupidity); the Republicans are playing to a very different crowd.

The chunk of voters most likely to be won over by the Republicans is not likely to care much about news stories of cruelty overseas, or malfeasance at border facilities.

Oh of coarse. However all of those dumb "scandals" really did aid the narrative of Obama doing nothing wrong. It made it look like they were grasping at straws to get at him. A lot of people still roll their eyes at the idea of Obama being scandal ridden and just bring up the Sean Hannity hotdog segment.

I guess I would say that Obama's media highlighted scandals were often laughable, while Trump's are often not. Or at least, even if they are laughable, it's because he said something horrible or horrifying in an incredibly stupid or comical way. Both of their more hidden away scandals are pretty bad though, although Trump has lapped Obama several times at this point from that angle too.

Cody Showdy did a little piece on one part of this that I've always detested. But then I've always detested private prisons and how that has shaped laws in America

Gordon_4:

CM156:

Worgen:

Whenever I think of the Afghan war, I think of this:

I can agree its justified. I'd point out that its pointless, because we are now negotiating peace with the Taliban as they've taken back most of the countryside.

Dreiko:

Seanchaidh:

Dreiko:

Obama focussed on actual unaccompanied minors (and gave a piss poor solution.) Trump uses this to create unaccompanied minors by separating families. And then floods the system. It's like comparing interment camps to concentration camps. They're both bad. One is significantly worse. Blame Obama for this all you want. He's been out of power for almost 3 years and cant change things. He has a legacy but he didnt make these specific decision that delibrately ramps up immigrantion, and then incarcerates them. Trump did that all by himself.

God, I'd love to get rid of your mentality of: "If you dont agree with Trump, then clearly you were for Obama" from all public discourse. I'm capable multitasking by critising both. I'd also love to get rid of the mentality that there is only black and white. We're voting for the least evil president, not the best one. Just because Obama does a bad thing, does not give Trump free reign to go even more villainous.

Dreiko:
This report is over four years (2014-2018) so it's not just Trump doing this.

Sure. It's why i haven't even used the word "Trump". All the info is in the article, that's why i simply ommited it from my post, because it's litteraly a click away. Leaving it to reader's judgment.

You wanna mention that right up cause if you don't people will treat it as you trying to shield Obama from his hand in these child sexual assaults.

What people? So far only you in this thread somehow came up to that conclusion.
And i'm not trying to shield anyone. If not including "But Obama..." in the post, makes you reduce it to "TRUMP BAD TRUMP BAD BAD BAD", that's on you.

I myself genuinely thought it was a recent phenomenon that occurred only since the child separation policy of Trump's begun.

Well, if you read the article, then now you know.

Sadly this is not just children in detention, I brought up the very serious issue of widespread ,rampant abuse of children in foster care and the foster care to human trafficking pipeline that exists in the US years ago. The reality is this is a serious systemic issue and that people are not well vetted and they allow abusers to pretty much run rampant. Part of the problem is the system is too heavily reliant on religious services to care for and place the children. The same religious services that have widespread abuse and hire convicted sex offenders as it is. They will deny a gay couple from being foster parents but a Christian child abuser can take in 10 children. It is seriously that messed up and nothing is really being done about it. The same people running those services and programs are also often the same ones responsible for looking after the immigrant children coming in as well and the more children you cram into this already severely corrupt and broken system, the more abuse you will expect to occur.

There is no separation of church and state with the child welfare system and they consider the same organizations abusing these children in foster care to be the experts in charge of caring for the children in immigrant detention.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/stopping-the-foster-care_b_4170483
https://www.safy.org/what-you-need-to-know-about-foster-care-and-human-trafficking/
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trafficking-fostercare/without-family-u-s-children-in-foster-care-easy-prey-for-human-traffickers-idUSKBN1I40OM

Dreiko:
This report is over four years (2014-2018) so it's not just Trump doing this.

Fair enough. When is Trump going to stop this?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here