Escapist heading in "a new direction"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Uh oh. Escapist's parent company is being merged with another company.

Ever get that feeling of deja vu?

This place is cursed.

I think I deserve a warning reset with all these changing owners.

If Zontar can get banned, then unbanned and have his warnings all cleared, surely I do too?

Or do I need to get Drathnoxis to get everyone to change their avatars to bunnies first?

Saelune:
I think I deserve a warning reset with all these changing owners.

If Zontar can get banned, then unbanned and have his warnings all cleared, surely I do too?

Or do I need to get Drathnoxis to get everyone to change their avatars to bunnies first?

When they move the forums to a new forum system (although when that'll happen is anyone's guess), they will probably just allow everyone back in again with clean profiles, because it'll be too difficult to keep track of all the users who've been warned/banned on an old server that's been switched off.

Will the new direction include functional polls? It's been like a year.

Bets on how long it'll take for them to decide to shut the site down?

IceForce:

Ever get that feeling of deja vu?

Absolutely.

I think I would want to wait to know more before I make my judgment, but that's just me.

Another new direction? We're going on quite a few of those lately, there can't be many left XD

Firstly: who the heck is/was that?

Second: A new direction? You mean this place has somehow gained enough momentum to break free from its decaying orbit around a plug hole?

Batou667:
Firstly: who the heck is/was that?

The guy that stepped in after the previous editor got laid off.
Not that you would know from anything posted by the site. Either you hear from a forum user or you don't at all.

Hi, everyone.

I know many of you are concerned regarding Anthony's departure. We were informed internally last week, but the news was made public today. The circumstances regarding Russ Pitts' departure from the company and Anthony John Agnello's are worlds apart. The loss of Anthony is just an unfortunate side effect of doing business.

The merger between Enthusiast Gaming and Aquilini GameCo did unfortunately see a reduction in staff at Escapist Magazine proper, while we slowly integrate the crew from Gameumentary to produce more video content. That means in addition to Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation and Dev Diary, as well as Bob Chipman's Escape to the Movies and The Big Picture, we're going to see an expanded lineup of content on our video streams. We launched a new video series, actually, with a review of Sea of Solitude.

There's still more to come beyond this and we'll be rolling out new features over the coming weeks, with planned updates including:
-major adjustments to the website, including functionality (yes, this will include navigation buttons)
-Version 2 forum integration
-and, of course, more content of all sorts

Please note that my word isn't gospel and things may change as we evolve our strategy.

Here's Menashe Kestenbaum, CEO of Enthusiast Gaming, talking numbers regarding the merger, if you're interested, and here's some relevant text if you feel so inclined.

Kyle Gaddo:
Hi, everyone.

I know many of you are concerned regarding Anthony's departure. We were informed internally last week, but the news was made public today. The circumstances regarding Russ Pitts' departure from the company and Anthony John Agnello's are worlds apart. The loss of Anthony is just an unfortunate side effect of doing business.

The merger between Enthusiast Gaming and Aquilini GameCo did unfortunately see a reduction in staff at Escapist Magazine proper, while we slowly integrate the crew from Gameumentary to produce more video content. That means in addition to Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation and Dev Diary, as well as Bob Chipman's Escape to the Movies and The Big Picture, we're going to see an expanded lineup of content on our video streams. We launched a new video series, actually, with a review of Sea of Solitude.

There's still more to come beyond this and we'll be rolling out new features over the coming weeks, with planned updates including:
-major adjustments to the website, including functionality (yes, this will include navigation buttons)
-Version 2 forum integration
-and, of course, more content of all sorts

Please note that my word isn't gospel and things may change as we evolve our strategy.

Here's Menashe Kestenbaum, CEO of Enthusiast Gaming, talking numbers regarding the merger, if you're interested, and here's some relevant text if you feel so inclined.

You really don't have to put a spin on this. It's cool. Enthusiast took out a big honking loan from Aquilini. It paid off, now it's got to trim off anyone who it can to push that share dollar amount up to sate the blood thirsty stockholders and get the big bucks when the merger finishes. After that the CEO can grab up them big bags with the $ signs on his way out, and leave Aquilini to have to support this tire fire. We'll have you to hang out with for, maybe three to six months, before we hit peak Defy and this place turns back into a ghost town. Though, man this does go a long way to explain why you killed R&P. Oh wait...

Armadox:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Hard as fuck to get new advertisers with that sub-forum open huh? Then you slowly squeeze the rules juuuust so that R&P becomes a quick way to get banned on Off-topic. Something something, aggression towards others. Ah. Honestly? I mostly feel sorry for Selune. This place was probably providing some catharsis considering how garbage other places are right now. Ah well. Can't feel sad about it now, as I've actively argued for R&P to be closed up before.

I almost called it in the thread where you closed up the R&P board. I thought EG was trying to scoop advertisers, but this was a much bigger fish. I take it forum 2.0 will have an iron grip of an End User Agreement and Code of Conduct to minimize potential issues that might arise from the forums, but you just can't kill them without losing user retention which has to be a decent figure into the ad revenue for this site.

Your account says you've been here since 2018, but you'll find a LOT of those-who-remain's accounts say they've been here more or less since 2010. We've been on this ride a few times now. So mommy Escapist brought a new guy into the house. Cool. Maybe we'll get a new x-box out of this instead of the usual beatings. Time will certainly tell.

I'm curious as to what this "new direction" is.
Escapist has already pivoted twice in recent years. And they were substantial pivots, basically complete 180's.

One pivot was to abandon a traditionally progressive editorial style and left-leaning userbase in order to entice and pander to an alt-right harassment campaign that completely took over the site. Its tendrils invaded nearly every aspect of the site, from the forums and forum moderation, to the shifting userbase, to the editorial content, to the hiring and firing and selection of staff at the time.

The next pivot was to do the complete opposite and basically try to undo all of the above. The topic and name of the aforementioned harassment campaign was completely banned from all discussion, forum rules were tightened up to ensure that certain views are unwelcome (for instance, I doubt Lunatic's post would've gotten him a ban under the previous regime), and even some old staff were brought back into the fold (such as MovieBob).

So what exactly is this "new direction"? Because if it's yet another U-turn, I doubt the site will survive it.

Every time the site pivots like that, the userbase dwindles. People leave when they see the site's direction going somewhere they don't like. And the site has tried two very different directions already, and each time a significant number of users disappeared.

Red Sentinel:
Every time the site pivots like that, the userbase dwindles. People leave when they see the site's direction going somewhere they don't like. And the site has tried two very different directions already, and each time a significant number of users disappeared.

Not meaning to derail my own thread with 'that' topic, but the users who that campaign lured here really had no business being here at all. They should never have been welcome on the site in the first place. The caliber of the site dropped dramatically while they were here, and abuse was rife (from both users and moderators; the moderators at the time I mean, not the current crop). I even witnessed an instance of doxxing, and despite my protests apparently that was considered a-okay at the time.

It's good those people have left.

IceForce:

Red Sentinel:

Not meaning to derail my own thread with 'that' topic, but the users who that campaign lured here really had no business being here at all. They should never have been welcome on the site in the first place. The caliber of the site dropped significantly while they were here, and abuse was rife (from both users and moderators; the moderators at the time I mean, not the current crop). I even witnessed an instance of doxxing, and despite my protests apparently that was considered a-okay at the time.

It's good those people have left.

Be that as it may, the site needs to stop having an identity crisis and actually settle on something.

As I said, the site's done two 180's, basically a full circle and ended up back where it started, but it seems none (or very very few) of the original users who left have come back again.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any new blood either in quite a while.

Red Sentinel:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any new blood either in quite a while.

That's not true, there is Kyle Gaddo. And also... um...

edit: I literally had to hunt for it. jacjon joined in May 2018 and proceeded to stop posting in May of 2018.

You know, we had a ton of new users when the spambots was rolling over this place. I'm sure they saw a bunch of ads before deletion. Really helped the bottom line for a while.

If you're spinning around more than the latest Beyblade does it even count as a new direction any more?

This feels appropriate

You know, this is getting a bit sad.

Stop complaining before you've even seen what a change will be about.

Agema:

Yeah, it's not like the last few years haven't been filled with positive changes.. right?

Palindromemordnilap:
Another new direction? We're going on quite a few of those lately, there can't be many left XD

Unless ... unless ... we're actually in space, cuz then we'd literally have infinite directions to go in.

Gotta stay positive.

I mean, yeah, we're technically already in space, but steering the planet is hard.

If we go in enough new directions, do we eventually end up where we started?

Yeah, a bit too easy to joke about the number of "new directions" this site has taken resembling more of a spinning in place than moving anywhere positive.

Casual Shinji:

Agema:

Yeah, it's not like the last few years haven't been filled with positive changes.. right?

Context is everything. The last few years have mostly been this site run by a decaying media corp neglecting its assets. Now it's in the hands of people who appear to give a shit and evidently are building it back up again (as we can see with increased content), let's hold out some hope.

Yeah, I'm with Agema, we should wait and see. Especially as the site isn't that impressive at the mo'

Agema:

Oh come on, you know better.

This isn't the first time, this is like, the 4th or 5th time. Sometimes the guy who is bad at running businesses, is also bad at running governments, and 'wait and see' just vindicates the people who already saw the previous red flags.

Really, if Russ Pitts wasnt the one to fix all this, we really cannot expect better. He literally did what we worried he would do, and just dissapear and abandon us. WHICH WASNT THE FIRST TIME THAT HAPPENED! (with other 'people who are going to fix us').

Hey everyone,

My name is Nick Calandra and I'm the Managing Editor of Video here on Escapist. I was hired a couple a months ago and was in charge of all the video content that came out of E3. I'm also the Content Director of Gameumentary, an outlet where we produce video game documentaries.

Part of what I've been asked to do from Enthusiast Gaming is to connect more with the community from the content side and for the past two months I've been doing just that over on the Escapist YouTube channel. We've introduced a lot of new content recently including all the E3 interviews featuring Yahtzee and Gameumentary.

Either today or tomorrow we will be publicly announcing that Gameumentary will be merging in full with Escapist Magazine, bringing over our 2 (now 3) Minute Reviews show which was linked above already, and our documentary content.

Right now we're working on a Yahtzee mini-documentary, and wrapping editing on our big Insurgency documentary series, both of which will air later this Summer.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes content wise and we'll be talking more about what our plans are soon. You may have noticed there's already a few new writers on the site posting a bit more news and some great write-ups focused on tv & movies.

We're working on a complete face-lift of the website (including the broken video player) as we know it's not easy to navigate, we're looking at how to safely update the forums software, new video series and so on. As soon as we can tell you more, we will!

We know things have been a bit of a whirlwind since the relaunch so expect more frequent communication from myself and Kyle as we continue forward.

Happy to answer questions if you have any. I may not be able to give specifics, but I'll answer what I can.

Nick Calandra:
Hey everyone,

My name is Nick Calandra

(Don't have anything clever to add, beyond wondering if you get that a lot)

Thaluikhain:

Nick Calandra:
Hey everyone,

My name is Nick Calandra

(Don't have anything clever to add, beyond wondering if you get that a lot)

That would be a first for that gif lol.

Nick Calandra:
Hey everyone,

My name is Nick Calandra and I'm the Managing Editor of Video here on Escapist. I was hired a couple a months ago and was in charge of all the video content that came out of E3. I'm also the Content Director of Gameumentary, an outlet where we produce video game documentaries.

Part of what I've been asked to do from Enthusiast Gaming is to connect more with the community from the content side and for the past two months I've been doing just that over on the Escapist YouTube channel. We've introduced a lot of new content recently including all the E3 interviews featuring Yahtzee and Gameumentary.

Either today or tomorrow we will be publicly announcing that Gameumentary will be merging in full with Escapist Magazine, bringing over our 2 (now 3) Minute Reviews show which was linked above already, and our documentary content.

Right now we're working on a Yahtzee mini-documentary, and wrapping editing on our big Insurgency documentary series, both of which will air later this Summer.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes content wise and we'll be talking more about what our plans are soon. You may have noticed there's already a few new writers on the site posting a bit more news and some great write-ups focused on tv & movies.

We're working on a complete face-lift of the website (including the broken video player) as we know it's not easy to navigate, we're looking at how to safely update the forums software, new video series and so on. As soon as we can tell you more, we will!

We know things have been a bit of a whirlwind since the relaunch so expect more frequent communication from myself and Kyle as we continue forward.

Happy to answer questions if you have any. I may not be able to give specifics, but I'll answer what I can.

Two posts and they're both in this thread. Look, I get that this would be a problem and they got everyone circling the wagons to try to keep it from becoming an issue, but you also don't exist. You're here until you're not. This whole thing "we're merging with this other company to improve the synergy of..." yah, cool. That's not NEW CONTENT. That's eating smaller fish while you got the money, and hope that the capital demon you've tied yourself to doesn't get enough power to drag you to hell. That's business.

You really want our attention? Finance something like Unforgotten Realms. Or Doomsday Arcade. Get another There Will be Brawl. Get a few more comics in here from no name artists. Add some soul to your line up. Acquisitions ride in a boom/bust cycle. Someone comes in, buys out smaller companies to build up the brand again, sits on it with just the tiniest bit of public relations thrown in. And then either sells it off again, or misses their chance and it withers back down to Caramel Frappe wandering a wasteland telling us "It'll be ok."

Nick Calandra:
Hey everyone,

At my suggestion, Kyle has begun doing monthly updates to let the community know whats going on. I highly suggest you take part in those. Transparency is important. The complete lack of it is what makes all this jerking us around insufferable.

I often change direction, though I indicate (signal) first. Sometimes.

Eh, it's be what it is. No one is likely to die.

@Saelune,

I will be taking part in those updates. We're working on quite a few things at the moment and if you look at my updates on the YouTube channel, that same kind of communication will be making its way here. There's a big disconnect between the forums - website - YouTube and I'm hoping to bridge some of that very soon.

Give us a bit more time and we'll have some nice updates to share really soon.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here