Escapist heading in "a new direction"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Looking forward to that new forum software you guys are putting up sometime during the next 48 months.

Saelune:
I think I deserve a warning reset with all these changing owners.

If Zontar can get banned, then unbanned and have his warnings all cleared, surely I do too?

Or do I need to get Drathnoxis to get everyone to change their avatars to bunnies first?

Well you need to get banned for something ridiculous first. But I'll be sad when you get banned :/

Whatever happened to Zontar anyway? I never really noticed but he stopped posting.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

But am I talking about the way the sites run or the forums. Take a guess, winner gets nothing!

I hope v1 forums stay available for viewing.

I agree with the comments about the forums, I hope the old one stays up and the new one is like it.

Because I hate using Disqus.

How about leaving politics at the door, that'd be an exciting new direction to take.

Marter:

Yeah, like GID and R&P and the WW... oh wait. I don't have much hope left for the new owners caring about preserving anything. Everybody had better archive what they want to keep or it may be deleted without warning at any time.

People can use the Wayback Maching. Just enter the url of the page you want to save and if it hasn't been previously archived you'll get an option to "Save this url in the Wayback Machine." Just make sure you bookmark the page afterwards.

SolidState:
How about leaving politics at the door, that'd be an exciting new direction to take.

Good luck, majority of other games journalists seem to want to talk about the political issues surrounding X title for Y reason lacking representation of Z culture.

If there was no political discussion then there would be very little discussion.

Marter:

Unless they finally get someone that knows a little bit of PHP rather than just how to juggle wordpress plugins, the V1 forums will be virtually empty a year after closure.

Forum indexes, Off-Topic, Gaming Discussion, etc, are set to only show threads that are up to 1 year old. The Publisher's club forum seems to be one of the buggy exceptions.

IceForce:
Uh oh. Escapist's parent company is being merged with another company.

Ever get that feeling of deja vu?

And which synonym for 'down the toilet' have they chosen this week?

I'm getting the feeling that the problem is partially just the escapist. It probably just isn't profitable enough, but it has yahtzee, and his audience, which would explain why it's being tossed from owner to owner and why all kind of changes are being made somewhat haphazardly. No sense taking it out on the new people trying to run things though.

Kyle Gaddo:
The loss of Anthony is just an unfortunate side effect of doing business.

On the other hand...

Nick Calandra:
Happy to answer questions if you have any. I may not be able to give specifics, but I'll answer what I can.

Hi Nick. No questions, but good to hear of your plans. I'll give some of the new content a shot when its out.

bluegate:

Marter:

Unless they finally get someone that knows a little bit of PHP rather than just how to juggle wordpress plugins, the V1 forums will be virtually empty a year after closure.

Forum indexes, Off-Topic, Gaming Discussion, etc, are set to only show threads that are up to 1 year old. The Publisher's club forum seems to be one of the buggy exceptions.

I think there'd be more engagement in the forums if the articles posted on the main site actually linked to the forums like they used to.

Then there would be far more discussion surrounding the articles, repeat engagement and clicks on the articles, and the forums would actually have a proper gateway to the main site.

Drathnoxis:

Saelune:
I think I deserve a warning reset with all these changing owners.

If Zontar can get banned, then unbanned and have his warnings all cleared, surely I do too?

Or do I need to get Drathnoxis to get everyone to change their avatars to bunnies first?

Well you need to get banned for something ridiculous first. But I'll be sad when you get banned :/

Whatever happened to Zontar anyway? I never really noticed but he stopped posting.

I've wondered the same thing, honestly. However, I didn't want to mention his name for fear of summoning him from whatever dark corner of the abyss he's hiding out in. Mostly because he's goddamn obnoxious most of the time.

Oh joy of joys. It's been, what, a year since the last one?
I mean, I hope it goes well. I hope the V2 forum is good and not a shamply ol mess of tiles like the V2 page is now. And I hope we finally get some order around here.
But man... We're just being passed around like the local college slut aren't we?

Nick Calandra:
@Saelune,

I will be taking part in those updates. We're working on quite a few things at the moment and if you look at my updates on the YouTube channel, that same kind of communication will be making its way here. There's a big disconnect between the forums - website - YouTube and I'm hoping to bridge some of that very soon.

Give us a bit more time and we'll have some nice updates to share really soon.

I've been thinking about this all day. Chewing what you said over. And I have a concern I am hoping you'd take the time to address. See, you mention that there is a disconnect between the forums, Youtube and the website. And I understand the reasoning to realign your business so that each section of it follows your brand image. I get that. I'm sure the Escapist logo'll change in a few months to some bold, modern thing (Oh, right. They already put out that block text one with half a border didn't they?), and we'll see the new forums in a stylized color scheme that went through someone's marketing department. Really update the brand identity. And hey, it needs it. Look at this place. It's been this decrepit, ancient behemoth wondering the wastelands of the old ways for what. Fourteen years? Yaaaaaah, fuck it. Out with the old right?

But then I got thinking," ...and replace it with what?" See what got me concerned is everyone keeps saying big changes are coming. You guys come out of the wood work, say a few lines about how you plan to communicate the new vision at us at some nondescript time in the future. I say "at us" and not "to us" because what concerns me is a needling feeling that what is going to happen is that instead of working from the audience that you have already. The people who stuck it out all those years. The people who are reading this right now. That the vision that you're about to roll out might be counter-intuitive to what I'd consider has been the collective culture that has evolved here.

It's at this moment that I'd like you to look over the join dates of the posters here. You're going to find a lot of them are between 2008 and 2011. If my Escapist account was a child, I'd be sending it to the 4th grade this year. Young adults. Children. They don't use forums. I'm actually not sure what they use because I and what you'll find is most everyone else on here is an adult. I bring that up to you specifically because coming from Youtube, I can see how you've already been well acquainted to what happens when business interests dictate that it requires a public commons to provide a "safe" environment for itself. And what that means.

And I worry that in realigning Youtube, the website, and the forums the ToS starts to get way longer and just a little bit draconian. That when you roll out what is coming down the pipes it's going to be catering specifically to this nebulous "all audiences" that somehow cuts around and excludes controversial topics deemed unsavory to advertisers. Sort of just throws a rug over the conversations and discussions that adults would have. Adults that use this forum.

As an aside: Considering "Aquilini GameCo Inc. operates as an e-sports organization..." (a sentence that makes my skin crawl for some reason), I'm taking it that part of the new ideology moving forward is them trying to integrate this as a e-sports/news/social media hub arm of it's business model. What I said before that acquisition isn't new content. That's true. Gameumentary would make it's own... what exactly does it do again? Cause the first link on it's page is this https://gameumentary.com/heres-a-test-post-for-a-feature-story/. (Look at that clown shoes shit there. Oh wait, that's YOUR clown shoes isn't it Nick?). Regardless, they'd have made their own thing regardless of the merger, right? You got your own site. But good old Escapist. Dependable Escapist. Well, it's not really a content producer. You uh, you come from the Youtube channel that hosts two dinosaurs. The only thing Aquilini is "merging" with, is them, a webpage, your stuff, and this forum.

I've been on here a long time. We all have. The old guard. And we've mentioned it before we've seen this song and dance a few times. It'd do a lot if you was able to come on here, and say that the forums will have a place for the adults in this new landscape. Because I get "Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows." when it comes to the game industry adjacent businesses having to pool together or go under, but just looking at information we have you can see how I'm worried "the community" you mention might not really mean us here so much.

Nick Calandra:
@Saelune,

I will be taking part in those updates. We're working on quite a few things at the moment and if you look at my updates on the YouTube channel, that same kind of communication will be making its way here. There's a big disconnect between the forums - website - YouTube and I'm hoping to bridge some of that very soon.

Whats this @ business? You know how to quote me. Only time I ever see @ is when people block a user, but still want to respond. Plus @ ing doesn't notify me, only seeing Armdox quote this did I actually even know you responded.

YouTube channel? Why of all places would I go there?

Armadox:

Nick Calandra:
@Saelune,

I've been thinking about this all day. Chewing what you said over. And I have a concern I am hoping you'd take the time to address. See, you mention that there is a disconnect between the forums, Youtube and the website. And I understand the reasoning to realign your business so that each section of it follows your brand image. I get that. I'm sure the Escapist logo'll change in a few months to some bold, modern thing (Oh, right. They already put out that block text one with half a border didn't they?), and we'll see the new forums in a stylized color scheme that went through someone's marketing department. Really update the brand identity. And hey, it needs it. Look at this place. It's been this decrepit, ancient behemoth wondering the wastelands of the old ways for what. Fourteen years? Yaaaaaah, fuck it. Out with the old right?

But then I got thinking," ...and replace it with what?" See what got me concerned is everyone keeps saying big changes are coming. You guys come out of the wood work, say a few lines about how you plan to communicate the new vision at us at some nondescript time in the future. I say "at us" and not "to us" because what concerns me is a needling feeling that what is going to happen is that instead of working from the audience that you have already. The people who stuck it out all those years. The people who are reading this right now. That the vision that you're about to roll out might be counter-intuitive to what I'd consider has been the collective culture that has evolved here.

It's at this moment that I'd like you to look over the join dates of the posters here. You're going to find a lot of them are between 2008 and 2011. If my Escapist account was a child, I'd be sending it to the 4th grade this year. Young adults. Children. They don't use forums. I'm actually not sure what they use because I and what you'll find is most everyone else on here is an adult. I bring that up to you specifically because coming from Youtube, I can see how you've already been well acquainted to what happens when business interests dictate that it requires a public commons to provide a "safe" environment for itself. And what that means.

And I worry that in realigning Youtube, the website, and the forums the ToS starts to get way longer and just a little bit draconian. That when you roll out what is coming down the pipes it's going to be catering specifically to this nebulous "all audiences" that somehow cuts around and excludes controversial topics deemed unsavory to advertisers. Sort of just throws a rug over the conversations and discussions that adults would have. Adults that use this forum.

As an aside: Considering "Aquilini GameCo Inc. operates as an e-sports organization..." (a sentence that makes my skin crawl for some reason), I'm taking it that part of the new ideology moving forward is them trying to integrate this as a e-sports/news/social media hub arm of it's business model. What I said before that acquisition isn't new content. That's true. Gameumentary would make it's own... what exactly does it do again? Cause the first link on it's page is this https://gameumentary.com/heres-a-test-post-for-a-feature-story/. (Look at that clown shoes shit there. Oh wait, that's YOUR clown shoes isn't it Nick?). Regardless, they'd have made their own thing regardless of the merger, right? You got your own site. But good old Escapist. Dependable Escapist. Well, it's not really a content producer. You uh, you come from the Youtube channel that hosts two dinosaurs. The only thing Aquilini is "merging" with, is them, a webpage, your stuff, and this forum.

I've been on here a long time. We all have. The old guard. And we've mentioned it before we've seen this song and dance a few times. It'd do a lot if you was able to come on here, and say that the forums will have a place for the adults in this new landscape. Because I get ?Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows.? when it comes to the game industry adjacent businesses having to pool together or go under, but just looking at information we have you can see how I'm worried "the community" you mention might not really mean us here so much.

To respond to this, I understand your worry and that my initial post was pretty vague and for that I apologize. I have no plans to alienate the longtime fans of Escapist or anything like that, we're just hoping to modernize everything, right? The tech here is really old, so how do we move everything here to new forums software without breaking everything and losing all the traffic that comes here. No plans to change how anything is operated on the forums, aside from a few bad apples, I don't see any issue with the conversations happening here.

So on the forums, we really just want to give them a facelift is all, no big major changes that would send everyone packing or anything of that sort. Same with the website, the current site design, for the lack of a better word, is quite terrible. We're working on fixing that.

On the Enthusiast merger with Aquilini GameCo Inc.

Enthusiast Gaming operates with multiple revenue streams. They have the in-house content teams via Escapist, Destructoid and a number of other outlets that all operate independently. They have their own advertising platform and lastly they have their own events platform via EGLX (big Toronto gaming convention) and that's where the e-sports stuff comes in. Doesn't have anything to do with Escapist really.

On Gameumentary.

The website hasn't been touched in years, we moved to strictly YouTube back in 2017 and produced a number of video game documentaries. Because I'm now a Managing Editor here at Escapist, financially and traffic wise, it made sense to bring that content here exclusively. We're also working on other new personality driven shows for the channel behind the scenes we haven't announced yet.

On the main Escapist website we're working on lots of new content now and shifting directions in terms of what we cover and how we cover it. We're still getting all our plans in order which is why I didn't delve into detail on all that just yet.

So this new vision isn't really "new". I may have not worded that in the best way, but this new vision is really all about how we create content and what content we're creating. We have a lot of work to do on communicating that with everyone here and that's all I really meant by the disconnect between the website / youtube / forums.

It feels like we're speaking to three distinct audiences, so starting up lines of communication to get the entire picture is the best way to bridge that, right?

Totally understand the skepticism, I'm aware of the history of the site and how much people care about it. The mere fact a lot of you have been in these forums for so many years is pretty awesome and shows the dedication and that's why I'm communicating as the team and I want to create content you're actually interested in.

Lots of work to do and it will be communicated, and I know you probably won't believe me right now, which is fine, but you don't have to worry about these big sweeping changes that will alienate the community or anything like that. I'm not here to do that, I'm here to create interesting content that the community will actually be excited about reading / watching.

I think the clown shoes comment was entirely unnecessary. I understand the skepticism, but I'm here to work with the community, not against it, so let's keep it respectful.

Saelune:

Nick Calandra:
@Saelune,

Whats this @ business? You know how to quote me. Only time I ever see @ is when people block a user, but still want to respond. Plus @ ing doesn't notify me, only seeing Armdox quote this did I actually even know you responded.

YouTube channel? Why of all places would I go there?

Sorry about that, this is old forums software compared to what I'm used to using via Xenforo. Didn't want to make a super long quote post, but seems that's the way to do it on here.

We're adding new content to YouTube which is one of the reasons you might be interested in checking it out. It's also on the website so if you have no desire to go to YouTube that's fine too.

Elvis Starburst:
But man... We're just being passed around like the local college slut aren't we?

Armadox:
snip

Didn't you go and make your own forum? With blackjack and hookers?

Johnny Novgorod:

Elvis Starburst:

Armadox:
snip

No, that was Arnoxthe1. Though they prefer to obsess about me rather than blackjack or hookers.

Saelune:

Johnny Novgorod:

No, that was Arnoxthe1. Though they prefer to obsess about me rather than blackjack or hookers.

Ah, got them confused. Sorry @Armadox.

Drathnoxis:

Marter:

Yeah, like GID and R&P and the WW... oh wait. I don't have much hope left for the new owners caring about preserving anything. Everybody had better archive what they want to keep or it may be deleted without warning at any time.

People can use the Wayback Maching. Just enter the url of the page you want to save and if it hasn't been previously archived you'll get an option to "Save this url in the Wayback Machine." Just make sure you bookmark the page afterwards.

I don't want to try to save 1000+ pages that way. But it may be what I have to do.

bluegate:

Marter:

I mean I can still use the review archives to see the reviews because the actual threads are still active.

Say what you will about the Escapist and its rotating set of owners, at least they're tolerant of some pretty harsh criticism from the userbase.

I know what Romans must have felt like in 69 A.D.

There was supposed to be a discord group that was trying to archive the site.

Marik2:
There was supposed to be a discord group that was trying to archive the site.

IIRC, their goal was to archive the videos and other editorial content, rather than the forums.

Nick Calandra:

To respond to this, I understand your worry and that my initial post was pretty vague and for that I apologize. I have no plans to alienate the longtime fans of Escapist or anything like that, we're just hoping to modernize everything, right? The tech here is really old, so how do we move everything here to new forums software without breaking everything and losing all the traffic that comes here. No plans to change how anything is operated on the forums, aside from a few bad apples, I don't see any issue with the conversations happening here.

So on the forums, we really just want to give them a facelift is all, no big major changes that would send everyone packing or anything of that sort. Same with the website, the current site design, for the lack of a better word, is quite terrible. We're working on fixing that.

Enthusiast Gaming operates with multiple revenue streams. They have the in-house content teams via Escapist, Destructoid and a number of other outlets that all operate independently. They have their own advertising platform and lastly they have their own events platform via EGLX (big Toronto gaming convention) and that's where the e-sports stuff comes in. Doesn't have anything to do with Escapist really.

On Gameumentary.

The website hasn't been touched in years, we moved to strictly YouTube back in 2017 and produced a number of video game documentaries. Because I'm now a Managing Editor here at Escapist, financially and traffic wise, it made sense to bring that content here exclusively. We're also working on other new personality driven shows for the channel behind the scenes we haven't announced yet.

On the main Escapist website we're working on lots of new content now and shifting directions in terms of what we cover and how we cover it. We're still getting all our plans in order which is why I didn't delve into detail on all that just yet.

So this new vision isn't really "new". I may have not worded that in the best way, but this new vision is really all about how we create content and what content we're creating. We have a lot of work to do on communicating that with everyone here and that's all I really meant by the disconnect between the website / youtube / forums.

It feels like we're speaking to three distinct audiences, so starting up lines of communication to get the entire picture is the best way to bridge that, right?

Totally understand the skepticism, I'm aware of the history of the site and how much people care about it. The mere fact a lot of you have been in these forums for so many years is pretty awesome and shows the dedication and that's why I'm communicating as the team and I want to create content you're actually interested in.

Lots of work to do and it will be communicated, and I know you probably won't believe me right now, which is fine, but you don't have to worry about these big sweeping changes that will alienate the community or anything like that. I'm not here to do that, I'm here to create interesting content that the community will actually be excited about reading / watching.

I think the clown shoes comment was entirely unnecessary. I understand the skepticism, but I'm here to work with the community, not against it, so let's keep it respectful.

You know what? Before I get into the rest of this. I want to say that this here? This has to be the most transparent response we have ever gotten on an actual path to the Escapist. Cards on the table, no corporate speak. No frills. I'm genuinely impressed with this just from what feels like honest messaging. So, I'd like to welcome you to the Escapist forums, where hassling the mods is how we say hello.

And as for the rest of it... yah, pppft, anything you didn't cover you probably can't. I'm sated. And I agree. you are speaking to three distinct audiences. There are a lot of forum goers that don't watch the Youtube channel. Mostly because for a time there, it was just sad, sad Yahtzee pushing his boulder up the hill each week. As for actual content. This place has burned nearly every bridge it has ever came to it seems. I'm sure you specifically have had an up hill battle just finding people willing to saddle themselves to the brand. Though I remember when I would come on here to watch people drop shit on a slowmotion camera. I'm sure whatever you got going on is fine. This place has seen some strange content over the years. Just don't blow the site's budget on a webshow about canine video game programmers.

As for clown shoes, come on man. If I was trying to introduce myself professionally to a group of people, and I left the first link on my website as dummy text I'd accept getting ragged on too. You might not have touched your website in years but when looking up what you do it's the first thing that comes up to represent you. I'll tell you what, fair shake though, I'll go binge watch a couple of your videos on Youtube this weekend. If nothing else you've earned those view dollars just by handling this like you did.

Armadox:

Nick Calandra:

On Gameumentary.

You know what? Before I get into the rest of this. I want to say that this here? This has to be the most transparent response we have ever gotten on an actual path to the Escapist. Cards on the table, no corporate speak. No frills. I'm genuinely impressed with this just from what feels like honest messaging. So, I'd like to welcome you to the Escapist forums, where hassling the mods is how we say hello.

And as for the rest of it... yah, pppft, anything you didn't cover you probably can't. I'm sated. And I agree. you are speaking to three distinct audiences. There are a lot of forum goers that don't watch the Youtube channel. Mostly because for a time there, it was just sad, sad Yahtzee pushing his boulder up the hill each week. As for actual content. This place has burned nearly every bridge it has ever came to it seems. I'm sure you specifically have had an up hill battle just finding people willing to saddle themselves to the brand. Though I remember when I would come on here to watch people drop shit on a slowmotion camera. I'm sure whatever you got going on is fine. This place has seen some strange content over the years. Just don't blow the site's budget on a webshow about canine video game programmers.

As for clown shoes, come on man. If I was trying to introduce myself professionally to a group of people, and I left the first link on my website as dummy text I'd accept getting ragged on too. You might not have touched your website in years but when looking up what you do it's the first thing that comes up to represent you. I'll tell you what, fair shake though, I'll go binge watch a couple of your videos on Youtube this weekend. If nothing else you've earned those view dollars just by handling this like you did.

I appreciate the welcome.

I'll give you that, that placeholder should probably be a link to our channel lol and say in big letters "ALL OUR CONTENT IS HERE".

Here's the link for those that want to see what Gameumentary does and that we're now bringing exclusively to Escapist. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJS-pvsdN8JBnyPpV47gLSg

And yes, I don't come from corporate or big games media, in fact I'm largely disconnected from all that because I'm from the Midwest and not part of the clique on social media and have no desire to be spending any of my time in daily fights with my readers / viewers.

I built OnlySP (Only Single Player) and Gameumentary on my own, and Escapist's parent company, Enthusiast Gaming, bought both from me and now I'm full-time working here on Escapist and continuing to do the documentaries and other secret stuff with Gameumentary.

I'd rather be connected with the audience and delivering content you guys actually give a damn about than writing or making videos that just constantly gets shit on even if it draws more views. I think I said most of what I needed to above regarding my intentions, but yea, I'm here to serve the audience here (within reason) and the team and I are going to be working hard to make this a fun place to be again with lots of new and exciting content.

Since you guys are the old guard, as you say, one of the first things we're doing is a new games analysis focused show with Shamus Young. Aiming to have that out starting mid-August. We also aired a teaser for a Yahtzee documentary on the Escapist YouTube channel if you haven't seen that as an introduction to Gameumentary's doc content.

Nick Calandra:

Are you talking about the site design here? https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/
I'd love to know what ya mean by the above statement.

Armadox:

Yeah, holy hell, this is how it should be done. It's taken so long for anyone to actually bother talking to us in this way. I really, genuinely wished this kind of response was given when the R&P forum was wiped out. Cause, no offense to Kyle Gaddo, I'm sure you did your best there... the responses we got after the fact, and the whole talk about the new "vision" for the site without us actually being clued into what that was supposed to be was a genuinely shit answer to a highly unexpected and not well detailed decision that was made without even a sniff of warning towards the userbase. It showed a lot of disrespect to us who have made this another home that we care for, so seeing it being thrashed around without telling us what's gonna happen, all while being told "Don't worry guys, it's fine, we have a plan and it'll be great!" was not very encouraging.

I hope we can look forward to more responses like yours in the future Nick, cause that's the example that should be front and center for every person on the staff team to see. Keep it up. I also very much look forward to those monthly update posts too, that'll go a long way in keeping us informed and up to date with the team

Nick Calandra:
And yes, I don't come from corporate or big games media, in fact I'm largely disconnected from all that because I'm from the Midwest and not part of the clique on social media and have no desire to be spending any of my time in daily fights with my readers / viewers.

I'd rather be connected with the audience and delivering content you guys actually give a damn about than writing or making videos that just constantly gets shit on even if it draws more views. I think I said most of what I needed to above regarding my intentions, but yea, I'm here to serve the audience here (within reason) and the team and I are going to be working hard to make this a fun place to be again with lots of new and exciting content.

How connected we talking? Cause the Stacked in St. Louis has this burger called the Bella Bleus. Now I know bleu cheese isn't for everyone, but hear me out. You get it, then you order a Moscow Mule. Have them add in passionfruit and lavender. I know what you're thinking, that doesn't sound like it goes together... and it doesn't, but the experience is worth it. You try it, and let me know what you think.

Elvis Starburst:
Cause, no offense to Kyle Gaddo...

Kyle Gaddo:
Y'all are still complaining in here?

He did come back in after all was said and done to salt the wounds. Like that was some Grade A, nonchalant trolling there.

Same shit, different day. I'll just stick along and enjoy the ride until the end.

Saelune:

Yeah, I signed up over there and quickly left when I found out who exactly went there. And yeah, the amount of times you came up was... off.

Elfgore:
Yeah, I signed up over there and quickly left when I found out who exactly went there.

Who? Actually reasonable people? On a site that actually works?

EDIT: Wait, are you talking about InfinityShock? The super racist sexist guy that got banned pretty damn quickly for spamming?

Arnoxthe1:

Elfgore:
Yeah, I signed up over there and quickly left when I found out who exactly went there.

Who? Actually reasonable people? On a site that actually works?

EDIT: Wait, are you talking about InfinityShock? The super racist sexist guy that got banned pretty damn quickly for spamming?

That guy scared off a lot of people from your site.

Marik2:
That guy scared off a lot of people from your site.

Yeah, he was pretty successful at that. lol

Kyle Gaddo:

Nick Calandra:

Thank you for taking the time to reach out and let us know what's going on. I think people around here tend to get a bit nervous about changes since we have been tossed about a bit and have had some rough patches. I for one am looking forward to our upgrades and am hopeful it will bring our community here closer and help us grow again. I am sure people will calm down a bit once things get updated and settled in. Thank you for being open about this, as we have pretty much been in limbo for sometime never knowing what was to come next. It is definitely refreshing and appreciated.

Elvis Starburst:

Nick Calandra:

Are you talking about the site design here? https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/
I'd love to know what ya mean by the above statement.

Armadox:

Yeah, holy hell, this is how it should be done. It's taken so long for anyone to actually bother talking to us in this way. I really, genuinely wished this kind of response was given when the R&P forum was wiped out. Cause, no offense to Kyle Gaddo, I'm sure you did your best there... the responses we got after the fact, and the whole talk about the new "vision" for the site without us actually being clued into what that was supposed to be was a genuinely shit answer to a highly unexpected and not well detailed decision that was made without even a sniff of warning towards the userbase. It showed a lot of disrespect to us who have made this another home that we care for, so seeing it being thrashed around without telling us what's gonna happen, all while being told "Don't worry guys, it's fine, we have a plan and it'll be great!" was not very encouraging.

I hope we can look forward to more responses like yours in the future Nick, cause that's the example that should be front and center for every person on the staff team to see. Keep it up. I also very much look forward to those monthly update posts too, that'll go a long way in keeping us informed and up to date with the team

Yes, talking about the V2 site design. We're pretty close to having the new site ready, just need to clear some tech stuff. Should be ready within a few weeks, forums will take a bit longer per my first post about figuring out how to migrate everything without losing it all and the traffic that comes with it.

We're trying to figure out the best way to do it. I'll keep you guys updated on it before we make any final decisions. My intention is to migrate everything that's here over to more modern software of course, but it may not work out that way due to tech, ya know? Have to also note that one the tech side, having the V1 site and the V2 site is clashing in our analytics a bit and potentially hurting our search rankings. Lots of things to figure out.

Either way, I'm going to make sure it's communicated correctly.

And yes, I've spent a lot of time over the past two months cleaning up the YouTube community and communicating changes there and so far so good. Will definitely be communicating with everyone as things update, but as far as pulling the rug out from everyone, that's not going to happen.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here