Escapist heading in "a new direction"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Nick Calandra:
Yeah, holy hell, this is how it should be done. It's taken so long for anyone to actually bother talking to us in this way. I really, genuinely wished this kind of response was given when the R&P forum was wiped out. Cause, no offense to Kyle Gaddo, I'm sure you did your best there... the responses we got after the fact, and the whole talk about the new "vision" for the site without us actually being clued into what that was supposed to be was a genuinely shit answer to a highly unexpected and not well detailed decision that was made without even a sniff of warning towards the userbase. It showed a lot of disrespect to us who have made this another home that we care for, so seeing it being thrashed around without telling us what's gonna happen, all while being told "Don't worry guys, it's fine, we have a plan and it'll be great!" was not very encouraging.

I hope we can look forward to more responses like yours in the future Nick, cause that's the example that should be front and center for every person on the staff team to see. Keep it up. I also very much look forward to those monthly update posts too, that'll go a long way in keeping us informed and up to date with the team.

Yes, talking about the V2 site design. We're pretty close to having the new site ready, just need to clear some tech stuff. Should be ready within a few weeks, forums will take a bit longer per my first post about figuring out how to migrate everything without losing it all and the traffic that comes with it.

We're trying to figure out the best way to do it. I'll keep you guys updated on it before we make any final decisions. My intention is to migrate everything that's here over to more modern software of course, but it may not work out that way due to tech, ya know? Have to also note that one the tech side, having the V1 site and the V2 site is clashing in our analytics a bit and potentially hurting our search rankings. Lots of things to figure out.

Either way, I'm going to make sure it's communicated correctly.

And yes, I've spent a lot of time over the past two months cleaning up the YouTube community and communicating changes there and so far so good. Will definitely be communicating with everyone as things update, but as far as pulling the rug out from everyone, that's not going to happen.

I know you guys are focused on the forum migration and that's cool, but I'd like to make a suggestion (that I know is gonna get ignored or even possibly shouted down) just for the record. Please for the love of everything, lighten up the rules. They're so damn long and stuffy.

Lil devils x:

Kyle Gaddo:

Nick Calandra:

Thank you for taking the time to reach out and let us know what's going on. I think people around here tend to get a bit nervous about changes since we have been tossed about a bit and have had some rough patches. I for one am looking forward to our upgrades and am hopeful it will bring our community here closer and help us grow again. I am sure people will calm down a bit once things get updated and settled in. Thank you for being open about this, as we have pretty much been in limbo for sometime never knowing what was to come next. It is definitely refreshing and appreciated.

Thanks! Yea, I've done my homework on The Escapist before accepting the job. I really couldn't imagine stepping into this role and not communicating with the community about it, kinda boggles the mind that anyone would try. I'm also new to this community, so the last thing I'm gonna do, much like on YouTube, is heavy hand things and say, hey I'm here now, I don't care what you think, here's what we're doing. That's one way to lose your entire audience overnight.

Getting the community involved is one of my priorities. For now it'll be through gathering feedback, later on it'll be getting some fun community stuff going on again. But for now, just need to get all our ducks in order on the content and tech side.

We have made some updates to the content we're running already.

We've already made some changes to the front page content by cancelling some of the columns that were running and are focusing on three key areas for the moment and that's video games, movies and tv. We've expanded our coverage from just focusing mainly on AAA stuff to covering a much wider gambit of video games, and we've gotten some great analytical pieces written up on movies / tv shows. I've also already had the team de-editorialize the news that we write as well.

Our Managing Editor, Samantha Nelson, just returned from getting some hands-on time with The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan, Torchlight II on consoles and Remnant: From the Ashes as well. She wrote up a great short feature on Man of Medan along with her hands-on impressions today that you should definitely give a look.

Unfortunately with the site design you can't find it all unless you go to the latest tab lol, so I'm pushing hard to get this new thing ready so you can find the stuff we write!

Arnoxthe1:

Elfgore:
Yeah, I signed up over there and quickly left when I found out who exactly went there.

Who? Actually reasonable people? On a site that actually works?

EDIT: Wait, are you talking about InfinityShock? The super racist sexist guy that got banned pretty damn quickly for spamming?

Thread that did it: https://intosanctuary.com/index.php?threads/its-sad-that-people-like-saelune-will-never-post-here.545/

Obsessing over your old forum enemies and acting superior to them is just lame. I'd rather post here or Reddit.

Thread that has guaranteed I never will post again just now: https://intosanctuary.com/index.php?threads/analysis-of-a-civil-war-in-america.757/

A video linked by you from a self-proclaimed alt-right YouTuber who hits all the marks of an anti-Semite, anti-feminist, and who seems to be openly pushing for a second Civil War in the U.S. Yeah, I'm fucking good, mate. All that shit is still there, just not as blatant.

Nick Calandra:

Lil devils x:

Kyle Gaddo:

Nick Calandra:

Thank you for taking the time to reach out and let us know what's going on. I think people around here tend to get a bit nervous about changes since we have been tossed about a bit and have had some rough patches. I for one am looking forward to our upgrades and am hopeful it will bring our community here closer and help us grow again. I am sure people will calm down a bit once things get updated and settled in. Thank you for being open about this, as we have pretty much been in limbo for sometime never knowing what was to come next. It is definitely refreshing and appreciated.

Thanks! Yea, I've done my homework on The Escapist before accepting the job. I really couldn't imagine stepping into this role and not communicating with the community about it, kinda boggles the mind that anyone would try. I'm also new to this community, so the last thing I'm gonna do, much like on YouTube, is heavy hand things and say, hey I'm here now, I don't care what you think, here's what we're doing. That's one way to lose your entire audience overnight.

Getting the community involved is one of my priorities. For now it'll be through gathering feedback, later on it'll be getting some fun community stuff going on again. But for now, just need to get all our ducks in order on the content and tech side.

We've already made some changes to the front page content by cancelling some of the columns that were running and are focusing on three key areas for the moment and that's video games, movies and tv. We've expanded our coverage from just focusing mainly on AAA stuff to covering a much wider gambit of video games, and we've gotten some great analytical pieces written up on movies / tv shows. I've also already had the team de-editorialize the news that we write as well.

Our Managing Editor, Samantha Nelson, just returned from getting some hands-on time with The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan, Torchlight II on consoles and Remnant: From the Ashes as well. She wrote up a great short feature on Man of Medan along with her hands-on impressions today that you should definitely give a look.

Unfortunately with the site design you can't find it all unless you go to the latest tab lol, so I'm pushing hard to get this new thing ready so you can find the stuff we write!

* crosses fingers and hopes Lego, cosplay, action figures, tabletop gaming and comics make the cut too*. Movies and TV are everywhere, the other geek stuff is a bit harder to find at times. I miss some of the stuff they used to do here.

Lil devils x:

Nick Calandra:

Lil devils x:

* crosses fingers and hopes Lego, cosplay, action figures, tabletop gaming and comics make the cut too*. Movies and TV are everywhere, the other geek stuff is a bit harder to find at times. I miss some of the stuff they used to do here.

Tabletop is still here. Samantha's Escapist Unplugged column is excellent tabletop coverage. Last one: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/07/08/origins-game-of-the-year-root-leder-games/

Nick Calandra:
I really couldn't imagine stepping into this role and not communicating with the community about it, kinda boggles the mind that anyone would try.

Oh believe me, they tried.

An embarrassing number of Community Managers have come and gone in the past without ever interacting with the community at all.

Elfgore:
Thread that did it: https://intosanctuary.com/index.php?threads/its-sad-that-people-like-saelune-will-never-post-here.545/

Obsessing over your old forum enemies and acting superior to them is just lame. I'd rather post here or Reddit.

OK, so there is one thing I am gonna give you. I do think that the Sanc community do talk about the Escapist members a little too much. I do understand that some of them are hardly the easiest to approach when it comes to certain matters. I guess it's easy for us to get defensive because we never really had a place of our own to talk until now, and now that we do, we often get shit on and stereotyped by our former community.

Our site is indeed inherently "right-winged" (more right-leaning than actually right) but I honestly hate saying that in a sense, because I wish for everyone to be there and to talk about their viewpoints and ideas no matter what they are. And that is always how it's been. And so, Houseman in that thread is pretty on-point when he laments that others of different viewpoints will probably never come there simply because of the general atmosphere of Sanctuary.

Houseman:
My intention with this thread wasn't "we're so much better than those other guys". I literally meant what I said: "It's sad that certain types of people will never come here, due to an ideological opposition to free speech on their side". That's all.

-

Elfgore:
A video linked by you from a self-proclaimed alt-right YouTuber

He's pretty aggressively right, yeah. Thing is, you can find truth anywhere. Neither the left side nor the right have a monopoly on truth. And if you'd read that thread, I actually said that another US civil war would be bad on all sides. Also, our site isn't about politics anyway. It's about gaming and being together as a group.

Nick Calandra:

Yes, talking about the V2 site design. We're pretty close to having the new site ready, just need to clear some tech stuff. Should be ready within a few weeks, forums will take a bit longer per my first post about figuring out how to migrate everything without losing it all and the traffic that comes with it.

Good, I'm glad to hear that. The new site is, as I described in another thread... like someone got over zealous with the Windows 8 tiles, and it looks like scattered mesh of stuff. A good starting point, but it needs refining. Can't wait to see the NEW-new redesign.

Either way, I'm going to make sure it's communicated correctly.

And yes, I've spent a lot of time over the past two months cleaning up the YouTube community and communicating changes there and so far so good. Will definitely be communicating with everyone as things update, but as far as pulling the rug out from everyone, that's not going to happen.

Also good news!

I'm also new to this community, so the last thing I'm gonna do, much like on YouTube, is heavy hand things and say, hey I'm here now, I don't care what you think, here's what we're doing. That's one way to lose your entire audience overnight.

That's certainly a breath of fresh air. I've made my opinions on matters from the past few months very clear on those associated threads, and on this thread as well. I did at one point consider if I was gonna stick around for very long after said events. I'm still cautious, as we've been burned a lot in the past and the recent wounds are still a bit fresh on the mind. But if everything you and the team have said so far is upheld, then it'll be a great level of transparency we've been desperately in need of for a long time. This is how a vocal community could really shine.

I have high hopes for you guys

Nick Calandra:

Lil devils x:

Nick Calandra:

Tabletop is still here. Samantha's Escapist Unplugged column is excellent tabletop coverage. Last one: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/07/08/origins-game-of-the-year-root-leder-games/

Yea, I read that, I really liked this one a couple of weeks ago as well:
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/06/28/that-dragonborn-feel-how-i-turned-elder-scrolls-into-a-board-game/

I am personally partial to custom items whether it be board games, cosplay costumes, custom Lego minifigs and builds, custom gaming action figures, custom computers and cases and custom gaming furniture so maybe we will see some articles on those in the future as well. They do not necessarily need to have someone dedicated to just doing that full time to have an article on it here and there when someone comes across something interesting.

EDIT Adding examples:
Stuff like this is awesome too :
https://bit-tech.net/reviews/modding/Temple_of_Nod/1/
https://www.wired.com/2013/12/lego-rivendell/
https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/fallout-new-vegas-ncr-veteran-ranger-finished-pg-8.101257/
https://nerdist.com/article/cosplayer-lifelike-spider-man-costume-moving-eyes/
https://www.pcmag.com/feature/337789/7-pcs-turned-into-furniture-you-might-actually-want
https://www.mini-itx.com/projects/bender/

Arnoxthe1:

Clinton and Bush were "right wing". Bernie Sanders is left, Alt right are racist, sexist extremists and yea birds of a feather and all, that is all that needs to be said really. It is what it is and there is a reason most people want nothing to do with it and don't want to hear about it all. Life is too short to deal with that nonsense tbh.

Lil devils x:
Clinton and Bush were "right wing". Bernie Sanders is left, Alt right are racist, sexist extremists and yea birds of a feather and all, that is all that needs to be said really. It is what it is and there is a reason most people want nothing to do with it and don't want to hear about it all. Life is too short to deal with that nonsense tbh.

I don't think I quite get what you're saying here. Could you reiterate?

Arnoxthe1:

Lil devils x:

I was pretty clear. Besides, this thread isn't about you or your site it is about changes the Escapist is undergoing, and what we have to look forward to here so no point derailing about topics most are tired of hearing about anyhow in a thread that has nothing to do with it.

Lil devils x:

Arnoxthe1:

Lil devils x:

I was pretty clear. Besides, this thread isn't about you or your site it is about changes the Escapist is undergoing, and what we have to look forward to here so no point derailing about topics most are tired of hearing about anyhow in a thread that has nothing to do with it.

So why did you bring it up then? You can talk about it but others can't? As I recall, none of us from Sanc were even the ones who brought it up in the first place. You guys did.

Even further, I already contributed something on topic about the forum rules, but that was promptly ignored of course.

Arnoxthe1:

Lil devils x:

Arnoxthe1:

So why did you bring it up then? You can talk about it but others can't? As I recall, none of us from Sanc were even the ones who brought it up in the first place. You guys did.

Even further, I already contributed something on topic about the forum rules, but that was promptly ignored of course.

I* didn't bring anything up, *you guys* are different people not remotely related. I just addressed the comment that was made, which likely I should have ignored given the positivity of this thread. We have good things to look forward to, no point in wading through negative BS to get to it. I for one am happy they cleaned up the site, it was long overdue before moving forward, hopefully that means we can get more quality content creators on board. I am really hopeful now that they actually started communicating with us that means we have something to look forward to.

Arnoxthe1:
Our site is indeed inherently "right-winged" (more right-leaning than actually right) but I honestly hate saying that in a sense, because I wish for everyone to be there and to talk about their viewpoints and ideas no matter what they are. And that is always how it's been. And so, Houseman in that thread is pretty on-point when he laments that others of different viewpoints will probably never come there simply because of the general atmosphere of Sanctuary.

I mean, what do you think was going to happen? Free Speech isn't actually Free. Part of Free Speech is taking on the responsibility of making your Speech worth listening to. Pretending to be Free Speech usually ends up leading to one echo chamber or another.

But then, control speech at least somewhat doesn't do that much better.

I hope the communication keeps up. Unfortunately another thing this forum has seen a lot of is the new guy(s) coming in, promising more communication, doing so and being approachable and answering questions for maybe a thread or two, then vanishing and leaving the users here in the dark again. These promises are very rarely followed through on and I would encourage our latest overlords to make a very conscious effort to do so as apparently these forums are a very easy thing to forget about when other metaphorical fires need to be put out

Nick Calandra:

Ah yes, I once brought up how it is counter intuitive for a website to have the same articles on its main page for days on end while "hiding" new articles under a second click on the website.

Good times, good times.

I admit I am hopeful for this latest new direction. Unlike some of the previous ones, which tended to range between "these good intentions are going to backfire" and "are they actively trying to end this site?" this actually sounds promising. Though unlike those previous ones the history of a lack of follow through is no longer a comfort.

One suggestion I have for strengthening the community, though I hesitate to make it for it can be prone to abuse, is more frequent but softer touches from the mods or warning warnings for a lack of a better term. In the past I've generally appreciated the times a mod has stepped in to tell people to cool it or to get back on topic when discussion starts to get heated. This lets us know the moderators are indeed actually watching, can give us a sense of who the mods are, generally keeps discussions less toxic, and can prevent long time user permabans from the kreeping accumulation of actual warnings.

Currently we rarely hear from the mods and warnings are handed out silently. This can be especially frustrating because the kinds of posts that usually get warnings these days don't just come out of the blue, but are the product of an escalating path of discussion that could be defused without official warnings or suspensions by a simple "hey guys, things are starting to get pretty heated. Remember to be respectful or warnings will follow" post from a mod. This can also help old and new users alike(when's the last time we got one of those? ) figure out where the line is for acceptable behavior where the CoC is vague or subjective. As long as this isn't abused by mods to reach beyond the CoC to try to mold the forums to their own biases and opinions and silence those people or topics they dislike, I think this could go a long way to making the community healthier and more welcoming to new users

Silent Protagonist:
I admit I am hopeful for this latest new direction. Unlike some of the previous ones, which tended to range between "these good intentions are going to backfire" and "are they actively trying to end this site?" this actually sounds promising. Though unlike those previous ones the history of a lack of follow through is no longer a comfort.

One suggestion I have for strengthening the community, though I hesitate to make it for it can be prone to abuse, is more frequent but softer touches from the mods or warning warnings for a lack of a better term. In the past I've generally appreciated the times a mod has stepped in to tell people to cool it or to get back on topic when discussion starts to get heated. This lets us know the moderators are indeed actually watching, can give us a sense of who the mods are, generally keeps discussions less toxic, and can prevent long time user permabans from the kreeping accumulation of actual warnings.

Currently we rarely hear from the mods and warnings are handed out silently. This can be especially frustrating because the kinds of posts that usually get warnings these days don't just come out of the blue, but are the product of an escalating path of discussion that could be defused without official warnings or suspensions by a simple "hey guys, things are starting to get pretty heated. Remember to be respectful or warnings will follow" post from a mod. This can also help old and new users alike(when's the last time we got one of those? ) figure out where the line is for acceptable behavior where the CoC is vague or subjective. As long as this isn't abused by mods to reach beyond the CoC to try to mold the forums to their own biases and opinions and silence those people or topics they dislike, I think this could go a long way to making the community healthier and more welcoming to new users

To address your first post: I've been communicating regularly with the YouTube community for over two months now and will be doing the same here now that I'm working on written content in addition to the video stuff. Keeping you guys informed is all part of the gig.

To address your second point: I wouldn't expect any changes to how things are currently run here on the forums for the next little bit. We're basically re-doing everything right now, and to make sure each part of The Escapist gets updated, we're doing it in chunks. The YouTube channel has mostly been cleaned up and we're starting to introduce new content there. Now I'm working on the website facelift and prepping for new content there. Then we'll move over here to the forums and get it all in tip top shape.

Safe to do it that way then do everything in all one big chunk because that's how mistakes happen and I don't think Escapist can afford anymore mistakes right now.

We'll do some feedback loops once we're ready.

bluegate:

Nick Calandra:

Ah yes, I once brought up how it is counter intuitive for a website to have the same articles on its main page for days on end while "hiding" new articles under a second click on the website.

Good times, good times.

Yea...I've built quite a few Wordpress sites and when I got here and looked at the backend of this site I think I went back in time to a much darker place in history. We have to manually update the top of the front page to get new articles up there, and I can't reorganize any of the front page.

I think I've got OCD when it comes to website design and this one is causing me to lose sleep haha. New site design is much more modern and you can find everything easily.

Nick Calandra:
To address your second point: I wouldn't expect any changes to how things are currently run here on the forums for the next little bit. We're basically re-doing everything right now, and to make sure each part of The Escapist gets updated, we're doing it in chunks. The YouTube channel has mostly been cleaned up and we're starting to introduce new content there. Now I'm working on the website facelift and prepping for new content there. Then we'll move over here to the forums and get it all in tip top shape.

Safe to do it that way then do everything in all one big chunk because that's how mistakes happen and I don't think Escapist can afford anymore mistakes right now.

Alright then.

trunkage:
I mean, what do you think was going to happen? Free Speech isn't actually Free. Part of Free Speech is taking on the responsibility of making your Speech worth listening to. Pretending to be Free Speech usually ends up leading to one echo chamber or another.

I think you're overthinking this. If we said, "Say what you want. You won't get punished." but then we start punishing people for that somehow, then yeah, Sanctuary would be pretending to have free speech, but that has never happened, and I've made VERY sure that that doesn't happen.

Arnoxthe1:

Nick Calandra:

Alright then.

trunkage:

I think you're overthinking this. If we said, "Say what you want. You won't get punished." but then we start punishing people for that somehow, then yeah, Sanctuary would be pretending to have free speech, but that has never happened, and I've made VERY sure that that doesn't happen.

Either you can say literally anything you want, or you don't have free speech. That is what people who defend Nazis tell me anyways.

Saelune:

Arnoxthe1:

Nick Calandra:

Alright then.

trunkage:

Either you can say literally anything you want, or you don't have free speech. That is what people who defend Nazis tell me anyways.

To do the mod thing:

Let's keep this thread on topic please. The feedback we're getting is helping and this stuff is way off topic :)

Nick Calandra:

Saelune:

Arnoxthe1:

Alright then.

To do the mod thing:

Let's keep this thread on topic please. The feedback we're getting is helping and this stuff is way off topic :)

Maybe let the other users know.

Saelune:

Nick Calandra:

Saelune:

To do the mod thing:

Maybe let the other users know.

Sorry wasn't directed at you, just a general call out.

So I saw that the show The Game Overthinker has been canceled and The Big Picture has instead become a biweekly show. Any comments?

Bedinsis:
So I saw that the show The Game Overthinker has been canceled and The Big Picture has instead become a biweekly show. Any comments?

Yes. So Bob's been a bit under pressure having to do three different shows per week as we've moved Escape to the Movies to a irregular schedule to release them on actual review embargo drops. We were missing a ton of traffic by not doing so.

So we talked last week and decided together to have him shift focus to mainly The Big Picture and Escape to the Movies since those are his two most popular shows and the two that he's most comfortable working on. The Big Picture will be released twice per week on Tuesday and Thursdays moving forward and we're giving him a bit more lead time to edit so he's not under so much pressure.

Was a mutual agreement, didn't just strip it from him. He's getting to take GOT back to his channel with no restrictions as well to do whatever he likes with it.

Nick Calandra:

Saelune:

Arnoxthe1:

Alright then.

To do the mod thing:

Thank you for being polite. <3 I'll shut up now.

Nick Calandra:

bluegate:

Nick Calandra:

Good times, good times.

Yea...I've built quite a few Wordpress sites and when I got here and looked at the backend of this site I think I went back in time to a much darker place in history. We have to manually update the top of the front page to get new articles up there, and I can't reorganize any of the front page.

I think I've got OCD when it comes to website design and this one is causing me to lose sleep haha. New site design is much more modern and you can find everything easily.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the current V2 or the old V1, I didn't expect much else in case of the latter, but I'm morbidly shocked in case of the former, as it was set up within the last two years or so.

bluegate:

Nick Calandra:

bluegate:

Good times, good times.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the current V2 or the old V1, I didn't expect much else in case of the latter, but I'm morbidly shocked in case of the former, as it was set up within the last two years or so.

Talking V2 lol. It's not good. I know they hastily put it together, but it's pretty hard to make a Wordpress site a pain in the ass.

....Transparency. Did the world just end and no one tell me? Damn.

Nick Calandra. Kudo's to you sir for being so transparent, please keep it up. We've had a few Community Managers who were transparent at first, but after a bit went silent and never were again.... Wow, that sounded alot more polite in my head.

I havn't been on for a while, First Wild Wasteland, then R&P, and the forum just generally slowly dying off at first, I kind of abandoned Escapist, ..I had an urge to come back and peak at things, and I find this thread and wanna go "Oh my god!"

Nick Calandra:
Snip

Can the new direction include a separate subforum for Religion and Politics again? We used to have one but they axed it a couple months ago for reasons that were never explained to us. It's to the severe detriment of Off Topic to have the more active political arguments force other topics down the page and I don't think anybody here is really happy with the situation.

I'm going to agree with Drathnoxis.

Fiona Callahan:
I'm going to agree with Drathnoxis.

And my axe.

Drathnoxis:

Nick Calandra:
Snip

Can the new direction include a separate subforum for Religion and Politics again? We used to have one but they axed it a couple months ago for reasons that were never explained to us. It's to the severe detriment of Off Topic to have the more active political arguments force other topics down the page and I don't think anybody here is really happy with the situation.

Undecided on stuff like that yet. When it comes time to start garnering feedback on the updated forums, we'll let you know. Personally, for me it makes sense to have a sub-forum dedicated to topics like that because you guys are right, what's the difference of having no politics sub-forum and having it all plastered on off-topic?

But that decision most likely won't be entirely up to me and if a sub-forum is created for those topics, they will need to be heavily moderated as I'm sure you can understand.

When The Escapist came back, it just kind of reappeared, at least that's how I felt about it even knowing about it beforehand. With all the big updates coming, I want to make sure we actually have a plan that we can adjust as needed rather than just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here