New Lupin III movie pulls off the impossible!?

So let's assemble the facts.

1) Lupin the 3rd is a long running manga, anime and movie series about a Gentleman Thief and his globetrotting adventures; pulling off daring heists and trying to stay one step ahead of the law, in particular his nemesis, the Inspector Gadget-like Zenigata of Interpol. many stalwards of the industry have worked on Lupin stories, including Miyazaki and Takahata themselves.

2) Anime and CGI have a very, very rocky relationship, more often than not making stuff that just doesn't work at all. It's like a whole industry of Sonic the Hedgehog CGI movies.

And yet, this new trailer for an upcoming CGI Lupin movie seems to break the mold- it both keeps the aesthetics of the original AND looks good as a CGI film trailer, with plenty of gunfights, car chases and all-round derring-do to look like a solid crime romp even if it wasn't anime.

What are your thoughts? I'm no huge fan of anime itself but I do love a good crime caper, doubly so if it's set in the 1960s as Lupin stories tend to be.

This actually looks quite good, but only because my expectations for Japanese CGI is so low. By Western standards this is just run of the mill. Also, the more I see CGI movies from Japan, the more that means traditional animation is going to die there as well.

I liked this trailer a week ago, I like it today. Looks like fun.

Casual Shinji:
This actually looks quite good, but only because my expectations for Japanese CGI is so low. By Western standards this is just run of the mill. Also, the more I see CGI movies from Japan, the more that means traditional animation is going to die there as well.

Yeah that is a sad side effect. Japan seems to be the last bastion of traditional cel animation. Much like stop-motion, I hope it never truly dies off.

Ugh, ok, so there has already been an amazing looking CGI anime and its called Land of the Lustrious and its amazing.

You just need talented people to make it work.

Plus, your example of bad CGI is from an american show called RWBY that is made by Rooster Teeth, not actually anime, just done with an anime aesthetic.

Worgen:
Ugh, ok, so there has already been an amazing looking CGI anime and its called Land of the Lustrious and its amazing.

Plus, your example of bad CGI is from an american show called RWBY that is made by Rooster Teeth, not actually anime, just done with an anime aesthetic.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it almost never is. I really liked Steamboy, for example.

That RWBY shot was found after a very brief search. if you have a link to a bona fide Japanese anime with awful CGI on display I'll be happy to replace it.

Squilookle:

Worgen:

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it almost never is. I really liked Steamboy, for example.

That RWBY shot was found after a very brief search. if you have a link to a bona fide Japanese anime with awful CGI on display I'll be happy to replace it.

Well, there is Kemono Friends
Which is apparently a really good anime, just with kinda crummy cg.

Then you have what most anime do, which is put cg into a normal looking anime
Like this dragon from Gate.

Excellent, thanks. That'll do nicely.

Jigen and Goemon look great. Lupin looks a little off. Fujiko looks like Aunt Cass from Big Hero 6 (by which I mean her design looks nice but a bit generic). Zenigata looks too white.

It kind of reminds me of the cgi Tintin movie from like 10 years ago, which was a decent enough movie.

I might watch this when it comes out, I've always rather like Lupin.

The thing with 3D is not that a fully 3D anime is bad but rather that when you have a 2D anime include some 3D aspects the contrast is HORRIBLE.

Like for example the Brave Witches series had some action scenes where the characters were in 3D and then in the blue ray they actually did them 2D like proper and the difference is huge.

If this movie is to be all 3D then it can be good like how the FF CG movies were good.

Dirty Hipsters:
It kind of reminds me of the cgi Tintin movie from like 10 years ago, which was a decent enough movie.

The Tintin movie sacrificed everything, everything for the visuals alone. Characters, plot, pacing, mystery, all completely thrown out the window just to make a flashy tech-demo to sell the technology. That's all it was about. Oh, and a poor excuse to shoot an extra scene from The Last Crusade they didn't get to film back in the day.

Squilookle:

Dirty Hipsters:

The Tintin movie sacrificed everything, everything for the visuals alone. Characters, plot, pacing, mystery, all completely thrown out the window just to make a flashy tech-demo to sell the technology. That's all it was about. Oh, and a poor excuse to shoot an extra scene from The Last Crusade they didn't get to film back in the day.

As someone who knows absolutely nothing about Tintin and had no prior investment in any of the characters...meh.

I paid money for a pretty CGI popcorn movie, and I got a pretty CGI popcorn movie that was a little overlong and with an underdeveloped mystery, parts of which reminded me of Uncharted in good ways. I can live with that.

Dirty Hipsters:

Squilookle:

Dirty Hipsters:

As someone who knows absolutely nothing about Tintin and had no prior investment in any of the characters...meh.

I suppose that's fair enough. That's my reaction when a superhero comic fan rages about a film adaptation, so it's all relative really. Spielberg still doesn't know a damn thing about Tintin, though.

Worgen:

Squilookle:

Worgen:

I see those examples and raise you Transformers Cybertron:

Yeah, drink it the fuck in people.

Nobody used the CGI from Berserk 2016?

Gordon_4:

Worgen:

Squilookle:

Yeah but again, not anime.
I could link old CG shows and be like "whoa, look at the bad cg, nya.
I mean look at Beast Wars.

Looks like crap but its still one of the best Transformers shows around.

Worgen:

Gordon_4:

Worgen:

Uh, Transformers Cybertron was absolutely an anime. All the Autobots and Decepticons were CGI but the backgrounds and human characters were standard animation.

Gordon_4:

Worgen:

Gordon_4:

Uh, Transformers Cybertron was absolutely an anime. All the Autobots and Decepticons were CGI but the backgrounds and human characters were standard animation.

Ugh, ok, that's not what anime is. Anime is best described as animation from a Japanese perspective generally with a Japanese target audience. Its difficult to define beyond that since its rather common for the same companies that make american cartoons also animate japanese ones, by that I mean animation houses in Korea.

This would be anime.

This would be from something copying the asthetic of an anime but isn't one. image
I was going to use a gif of the last airbender but I couldn't find one I liked so fuck it, teen titans go.

Dreiko:
The thing with 3D is not that a fully 3D anime is bad but rather that when you have a 2D anime include some 3D aspects the contrast is HORRIBLE.

Usually very true, though i have to mention One Punch Man Season 2's Centichoro was one of the best anime CG models i've seen:

I've only ever heard of Lupin the III, and have yet to actually watch anything from the series, though this movie might end up being my first experience.

Worgen:

Gordon_4:

Worgen:

Ugh, ok, that's not what anime is. Anime is best described as animation from a Japanese perspective generally with a Japanese target audience. Its difficult to define beyond that since its rather common for the same companies that make american cartoons also animate japanese ones, by that I mean animation houses in Korea.

This would be anime.

This would be from something copying the asthetic of an anime but isn't one. image
I was going to use a gif of the last airbender but I couldn't find one I liked so fuck it, teen titans go.

Transformers Cybertron is the dubbed version of Transformers Galaxy Force. Produced in Japan by Gonzo. Written by Hiro Masaki and broadcast by TV Aichi. Which is in Nagoya. It was the last Transformers series produced in Japan until Transformers Go in 2013.

Wanna try again?

Y'all gonna keep having a semantic debate, or can we talk about how perfect that Lupin trailer is?

Cuz it is. Even down to that cheesy old theme song.

SupahEwok:
Y'all gonna keep having a semantic debate, or can we talk about how perfect that Lupin trailer is?

I know I'm keen for it. Looks like fun.

Gordon_4:

Worgen:

Gordon_4:

This would be anime.

Transformers Cybertron is the dubbed version of Transformers Galaxy Force. Produced in Japan by Gonzo. Written by Hiro Masaki and broadcast by TV Aichi. Which is in Nagoya. It was the last Transformers series produced in Japan until Transformers Go in 2013.

Wanna try again?

Ehh, I'm not willing to give that to you since its based on an american property with Hasbro acting as a producer so it wasn't really made with japanese sensibilities. Yeah I know that the toys were originally Japanese but they were given the personalities by the americans.

If I consider that anime then this is anime too, and I think thats a pretty far stretch.

SupahEwok:

Semantics debate.

But Lupin has been in 3d before and it was pretty cool then too.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here