Kyoto Animation hit by arson attack that kills 26

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-49027178

So... Yeah. Horrible news, and it looks like more are in a critical condition in hospital, and there are others as yet unaccounted for. It's unclear why the attack was carried out, though the perpetrator seemed 'angry' at the studio.

Edit: corrected spelling error in topic title

Bad news to be sure. Disgruntled former employee?

33 now. And now I'm starting to see people celebrating the arson. I fucking hate people.

My condolences to the victims.

Side-topic question:

1. Isn't the studio name Kyoto Animation (not Kroto)?

2. What is the studio best known for?

...Jesus Christ, what the fuck is wrong with people?!?!

My condolences to the families...

Apparently the nutter was ranting about them plagiarizing his works. Also the director of Clannad and Lucky Star is missing and may be one of the dead. This is a huge blow to the studio which may not recover and will definitely never be the same.

R.I.P, hope the fucker who did this goes away for a long time(forever, that is).

CaitSeith:

Side-topic question:

K-On!, Haruhi, Clannad and lucky star. Off the top of my head.

rederoin:
R.I.P, hope the fucker who did this goes away for a long time(forever, that is).

CaitSeith:

Side-topic question:

Japan still hangs people, he's prolly getting the death penalty.

Dreiko:

rederoin:

CaitSeith:

Side-topic question:

Japan still hangs people, he's prolly getting the death penalty.

This is the worst mass killing in post-war Japanese history, even Sir Bob Massingbird couldn't get him out of this one.

Christ. Not that there's any justification, but why did this guy do that? What possible reason? Ex-employee maybe?

Silentpony:
Christ. Not that there's any justification, but why did this guy do that? What possible reason? Ex-employee maybe?

Not an employee, all I have heard so far is that he was ranting about them plagiarizing him.

rederoin:

Oh no. He's guaranteed to be getting the short drop and a sudden stop. He's a dead man, whether it's at the end of a rope, or he succumbs to his burns and smoke inhalation.

Batou667:
Bad news to be sure. Disgruntled former employee?

Silentpony:

[quote="Dreiko" post="18.1057224.24311885"]
EDIT: Complete and total retraction from what I previously posted, but I can't strike through the whole thing. Word is it wasn't that specific guy, and it was simply someone who claims they stole shit from him, but what is still a mystery. Still a bastard, and still likely to succumb to his wounds.

It seems Sentai Filmworks set up a gofundme campaign to help Kyoto Animation.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-kyoani-heal

Their goal was 750K, but they have already collected more than 950K.

otakus are scary

Marik2:
otakus are scary

This is a good example of why we should do something about rabid fans. Exactly what, I'm not sure. The best I got is giving them those anti barking collars for dogs...

RaikuFA:
33 now. And now I?m starting to see people celebrating the arson. I fucking hate people.

...Make that rabid fans and trolls. I'm with you, I hate people...

The Worst loss of life in Japan since World War II. 33 people gone because this fucker he felt he was plagiarized. I hope he enjoys hell

Jesus Christ. This is the angriest someone must have ever gotten over a cartoon.

tf2godz:
The Worst loss of life in Japan since World War II. 33 people gone because this fucker he felt he was plagiarized. I hope he enjoys hell

Not really?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amagasaki_derailment

That is just one example, or is there some other weird arbitrary metric you're using but aren't sharing in your post?

He wanted those people to burn. I'm all for burning the 2D but you should leave the 3Ds alone.

bluegate:

tf2godz:

Not really?

That is just one example, or is there some other weird arbitrary metric you're using but aren't sharing in your post?

I was talking about straight up murder not accidents or natural disasters. Sorry for the confusion

bluegate:

tf2godz:

Not really?

Deliberate attack vs accident

RaikuFA:
33 now. And now I?m starting to see people celebrating the arson. I fucking hate people.

But trolls are funny. Hahaha

trunkage:

RaikuFA:

Oh I'm sure some of them find it funny, they were making jokes when the quake hit Japan too. I don't care to focus on them when there's 33 dead people who should be focused upon. By being triggered at some likely 12 year old (mentally at least) you give them power over your psyche. All I care about is helping kyoani get back on its feet.

Been an anime fan for over 25 years, I'm used to people's inconsiderate comments by now lol. Half the time it's not coming from trolls either but rather by people who see an anime avatar and think it's a troll account by definition.

My condolences to all that people and their families. This is just wild I don't want to joke like not make joke about this. And everytime I hear about it more people turn up dead. Peace for those families man.

tf2godz:

Seems he though they plagarized his online "catchphrase" or some shit. It makes no sense, dude was just utterly nuts. Should have been put in a mental hospital ages ago.

The gofundme now has collected almost 1.5 million dollars from over 45,000 donors. The level of support is pretty high and the comments kinda touching (specially the ones in japanese)

Dreiko:

trunkage:

RaikuFA:

Oh I'm sure some of them find it funny, they were making jokes when the quake hit Japan too. I don't care to focus on them when there's 33 dead people who should be focused upon. By being triggered at some likely 12 year old (mentally at least) you give them power over your psyche. All I care about is helping kyoani get back on its feet.

Been an anime fan for over 25 years, I'm used to people's inconsiderate comments by now lol. Half the time it's not coming from trolls either but rather by people who see an anime avatar and think it's a troll account by definition.

The one I was talking about was some Maoist who said "Not all heroes wear capes. Anti degeneracy squad rise up." Thankfully it was deleted but I managed to take a screenshot and send it to patreon.

Apparently everything they've made was lost. This is why I fight for preservation.

Also they made the Mario movie from the 80s. I just hope they're not taken down on YouTube.

RaikuFA:

Dreiko:

trunkage:

The one I was talking about was some Maoist who said ?Not all heroes wear capes. Anti degeneracy squad rise up.? Thankfully it was deleted but I managed to take a screenshot and send it to patreon.

Sounds like a typical edgelord that makes "two nukes were not enough" jokes and thinks he's edgy and triggers some younger anime fans. Literally not worth paying attention to. Definitely not worth upending our freedom of speech for.

RaikuFA:

Also they made the Mario movie from the 80s. I just hope they?re not taken down on YouTube.

That was Toei Animation.

Dreiko:

trunkage:

RaikuFA:

Ignoring tolls is how you get one in the White House

trunkage:

Dreiko:

trunkage:

Nah, over-reacting to them and in so doing driving away to the other side innocent people whom you brand as trolls because of minor disagreements is how.

The final death count is 34.

Kyoto Animation also lost their entire body of work, both physical and digital.

That studio will never recover.

This was so horrible and senseless.

Dreiko:

trunkage:

Dreiko:

Nah, over-reacting to them and in so doing driving away to the other side innocent people whom you brand as trolls because of minor disagreements is how.

I didn't know 4chan over-reacted to trolls. Go figure.

Dreiko:

trunkage:

Dreiko:

If an "innocent" person says "people got made at me for making racist jokes, so I'm going to go join a Nazi group and run over counter protesters with me car."

They weren't an innocent person

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or