Kyoto Animation hit by arson attack that kills 26

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

undeadsuitor:

Dreiko:

trunkage:
Ignoring tolls is how you get one in the White House

Nah, over-reacting to them and in so doing driving away to the other side innocent people whom you brand as trolls because of minor disagreements is how.

If an "innocent" person says "people got made at me for making racist jokes, so I'm going to go join a Nazi group and run over counter protesters with me car."

They weren't an innocent person

In a secular context, physical action is what makes someone innocent or guilty. Not sinful thought or fantasy. Applying the religious and authoritarian notion of having "evil thoughts" is not appropriate here.

If the person in your example had only just made jokes back then, had not yet decided to join a Nazi group nor ran over people yet, and was treated like someone who had done those things, they were indeed innocent at the time of being maligned, since making a joke is fine.

To me, that person is hanging on the precipice, while to you they're already condemned. To me, they could have gone either way, based on how society treated them. You may think that you have no duty to help someone who is in this situation and that it should be their responsibility to keep themselves from becoming a lunatic, at the same time, the fact that this might have been preventable is still there, and I see nothing in your approach that will ensure less harm than in mine.

A good person is not someone who has no temptation, that's just an ignorant person. A good person is someone who has a temptation or a tendency but doesn't let it control them and does the right thing despite having that tendency. What you condemn as a fault is actually something that could, if overcome, become a strength, as some of the most convincing anti-radical speakers are ex radicals who overcame these temptations personally.

Dreiko:

trunkage:

Dreiko:

Oh I'm sure some of them find it funny, they were making jokes when the quake hit Japan too. I don't care to focus on them when there's 33 dead people who should be focused upon. By being triggered at some likely 12 year old (mentally at least) you give them power over your psyche. All I care about is helping kyoani get back on its feet.

Been an anime fan for over 25 years, I'm used to people's inconsiderate comments by now lol. Half the time it's not coming from trolls either but rather by people who see an anime avatar and think it's a troll account by definition.

Nah, over-reacting to them and in so doing driving away to the other side innocent people whom you brand as trolls because of minor disagreements is how.

You know the term racist is used by trolls to rile up the conservatives, right? That they're playing a trick on you? Then all liberals get tarred with using PC, regressive, etc. Seems like and overreacting and a whole bunch of innocent people being driven away

trunkage:

Dreiko:

trunkage:

You know the term racist is used by trolls to rile up the conservatives, right? That they're playing a trick on you? Then all liberals get tarred with using PC, regressive, etc. Seems like and overreacting and a whole bunch of innocent people being driven away

Oh I know, since I'm a liberal myself and I don't call people or things racist as a reflex. A lot of this is not letting them co-opt these values and if you want us to not be tarred with these labels you wanna be out there condemning those in our side who do that as I am.

The studio looks like a small apartment complex. It doesn't seem like it had any fire sprinklers or fire exits.

Marik2:
The studio looks like a small apartment complex. It doesn't seem like it had any fire sprinklers or fire exits.

I hate to admit it, but you do have a point there. And now I can?t help but think of how many people could have made it out alive if not for that...

Also, can we PLEASE not turn this into yet another political debate? I am getting so sick and tired of every other thread in this subforum being filled up with this crap...

Isn't that what the R&P sub forum was for? Why did they get rid of it again...?

CrazyGirl17:

Marik2:

I hate to admit it, but you do have a point there. And now I can?t help but think of how many people could have made it out alive if not for that...

Also, can we PLEASE not turn this into yet another political debate? I am getting so sick and tired of every other thread in this subforum being filled up with this crap...

Isn?t that what the R&P sub forum was for? Why did they get rid of it again...?

I would think an animation studio of their caliber would have a good building for their staff, and have the proper safety regulations in case a fire broke out. The place they were in looks like they were using it to specifically cut safety costs, which made it into their death trap. I don't think their government is going to raise the question or even consider it for the future businesses.

Kyle Gaddo:
The final death count is 34.

Kyoto Animation also lost their entire body of work, both physical and digital.

That studio will never recover.

This was so horrible and senseless.

Jesus wept. No off-site digital backup? Guys come on, that is the most basic of IT strategies.

Gordon_4:

Jesus wept. No off-site digital backup? Guys come on, that is the most basic of IT strategies.

It's not something they're alone in: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48745638

Damn, never thought the "Anime was a mistake" crowd would take it to this level.

It looks like one of the directors is missing.

I'd speak out about how undeadsuitor did not deserved to be punished for that post, but then I would probably get banned too.

Saelune:
I'd speak out about how undeadsuitor did not deserved to be punished for that post, but then I would probably get banned too.

Yeah, this one kinda hits hard. I'll leave it at that.

RaikuFA:
33 now. And now I?m starting to see people celebrating the arson. I fucking hate people.

Source?

Lufia Erim:

RaikuFA:
33 now. And now I?m starting to see people celebrating the arson. I fucking hate people.

Source?

Some 4chan and youtube comments, but they are just trying to be edgy.

Casual Shinji:

Saelune:

+1

Marik2:

Yeah, it was the guy who directed Clannad, Maid Dragon and Lucky Star, among others. There's really no words to say about this.

Dreiko:

Marik2:

Yeah, it was the guy who directed Clannad, Maid Dragon and Lucky Star, among others. There's really no words to say about this.

He's probably among the burned victims. The damage is making it hard to identify the people. I'm still waiting on an explanation on why the building didn't have basic fire safety features like sprinklers or fire exits.

Casual Shinji:

Saelune:

Yeah. But someone had to say it, and now it's been said.

OT: The Help KyoAni Heal Gofudme is almost at $2 millions! It's good to see so much support for the victims.

Hopefully they add the in memory of credits for the violet evergarden movie.

.. Yea, I am at a loss for words. No matter how upset you are at a company / studio / ect, murdering their employees is never going to do anyone a favor. The fact this guy managed to get 33 people killed with a fire is mind blowing to me, and horrific as hell.

I can't even imagine what the families are going through. This studio brought me so many good memories with the animes it produced (especially Dragon Maid) and now with all of the papers / artwork / computers burnt, they're going to be hurting so much, but nothing comes close to losing people in that fire. I pray the studio can somehow recover, and the lives lost are now at peace.

............ Did they ever find out how the maniac broke in? Where was the security? This is why I get really worried when I see no security guards in the places I visit to- way too many psychopaths in this world now.

Marik2:

I'm still waiting on an explanation on why the building didn't have basic fire safety features like sprinklers or fire exits.

Even post-Grenfell many tower blocks in the UK don't have sprinklers (apparently less than 1% of council-owned ones -- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40293035). The answer is, unsurprisingly, 'money'.

I never cared much for their shows, but no deserves that. I don't care how "justified" the asshole was. As for the people celebrating or "trolling"; ignore them. They're miserable fuckers that know they will never achieve anything in life and choose to bring others down to feel better.

Caramel Frappe:
.. Yea, I am at a loss for words. No matter how upset you are at a company / studio / ect, murdering their employees is never going to do anyone a favor. The fact this guy managed to get 33 people killed with a fire is mind blowing to me, and horrific as hell.

I can't even imagine what the families are going through. This studio brought me so many good memories with the animes it produced (especially Dragon Maid) and now with all of the papers / artwork / computers burnt, they're going to be hurting so much, but nothing comes close to losing people in that fire. I pray the studio can somehow recover, and the lives lost are now at peace.

............ Did they ever find out how the maniac broke in? Where was the security? This is why I get really worried when I see no security guards in the places I visit to- way too many psychopaths in this world now.

All I know is that security policy and regulations are going to change big time now due to this tragedy. There is going to be twice as much security, and camera in place you would not think of.

I found this done by a fan of the studio:

According to a sankaku article, it was caused by a guy who had a history of mental issues and he has a criminal record. I wonder what the government is going to do about his case.

Yeah the guy was basically a mental patient who thought they plagiarized his novel or some such. Just a crazy person.

Not sure who is responsible for preventing such people from gaining access to the building and for the lack of fire prevention but if I were to guess it'd be the studio itself which is who may end up being sued into oblivion by the families of the dead. I hope this doesn't come to place but now I'm legit worried cause that guy shouldn't have been able to barge in and set fire like he owned the place.

Also, apparently they're tearing the building down and turning the lot into a park with a monument for the dead.

CrazyGirl17:

To certain folks absolutely everything has to tie in to their specific political causes.

CrazyGirl17:

Someone was drunk and made a mistake they probably already regret?

CrazyGirl17:

If it means anything to you, the people who are hyper political are slowly getting banned one by one.

Kyoto Animation has made a bank account deposit number public for anyone who may want to donate for support funds.

http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/information/?id=3075

I don't want to say that this is the moment to put your money where your heart is, but these moments aren't always present when they are needed...

Marik2:

I was actually just wondering this. Were there actual sprinklers and I just can't tell?

Dreiko:
Yeah the guy was basically a mental patient who thought they plagiarized his novel or some such. Just a crazy person.

Not sure who is responsible for preventing such people from gaining access to the building and for the lack of fire prevention but if I were to guess it'd be the studio itself which is who may end up being sued into oblivion by the families of the dead. I hope this doesn't come to place but now I'm legit worried cause that guy shouldn't have been able to barge in and set fire like he owned the place.

Also, apparently they're tearing the building down and turning the lot into a park with a monument for the dead.

I really don't think the studio will get sued for not having fire prevention, because it doesn't seem the Japanese thing to do to sue in the first place(they're a bit of a passive people). It doesn't seem like anyone over there is even mentioning security or fire prevention at all. And it just looks like the money will be used to rebuild the studio and make the monument park, while the victims families won't get help.

Marik2:
the victims families won't get help.

That isn't what the studio has said.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook