You haven't seen true horror until you see the Cats trailer

And people were complaining about the Sonic trailer. Hell, this has already topped the Sonic trailer, in terms of like/dislike ratio. If Sonic was awkward and cringey (note to self: doesn't that make it a good adaptation?) then this is altogether creepy, uncanny and baffling beyond comprehension. Crappy deepfake level. Who the hell greenlit the concept artwork?

They know that furries will love it.

Did the director just see the Nicolas Cage face cat memes and decide that it was the perfect aesthetic?

Okay, who let Tim Burton have DMT?

It has the totally uncanny feeling that the music video Where's Your Head At? by Basement Jaxx had.

Creepy AF

What? The worst musical of all time has a creepy AF remake?

Well why not?

I feel there are several thousand people scattered throughout the planet who's particular horrifying niche is being satisfied here.

Marik2:

I really doubt it. I'm like 95% sure that furries would rather they looked like this.

Instead of having the creepy as fuck uncanny valley faces.

Marik2:

I feel like they made those designs deliberately unappealing to specifically not appeal to furries. Because, let me tell you. TI like some furry art and this is doing nothing for me.

This could've been so easily remedied if they'd just done the heads in practical make-up and from the neck down CGI. I understand that putting dozens of people at a time in full-body (properly tailored and fitting) fur suits is not only an enormous undertaking for the crew, but also a sweaty nightmare for the actors. And this way they would've avoided that very unconvincing deepfake look and still retain the sleaker physique of a CGI cat body (okay, saying that last bit feels kinda pervy).

I question the decision to bring the show to the silver screen, but I admit to finding the "what's up with the design" comments a bit amusing. I mean...have you seen Cats? That's kinda how it looks.

Asita:
I question the decision to bring the show to the silver screen, but I admit to finding the "what's up with the design" comments a bit amusing. I mean...have you seen Cats? That's kinda how it looks.

Yeah, but the stage show looks like very obvious humans in flamboyant make-up and costumes. The movie appear to try to pass them off as legitimate humanoid cats with organic fur and everything. And where the faces look too big for a lot of the CGI heads.

And it's not like this movie isn't trying to be the Broadway show from the looks of it, so why put so much effort in trying to make the cat people look realistic?

Yeah, its creepy and such but...

Wasn't the Broadway show also creepy in a very similar manner?

Asita:

So its not just me. Seeing that trailer gives me the same kind of fingernails on a chalkboard cringe as looking at a recording of the Broadway version. I just figured some people like that sort of thing.

Marik2:

I have to question just how many furries really want this, considering how horrifying the cats look. One would think they'd want their cat people to fall less into the uncanny valley. Hell, even if they wanted the "Victims of an illegal mad science gene splicing experiment" look, I don't think this is what they'd have in mind.

If I were to ask the question" Who is this trailer/movie aimed towards?" and I can only imagine Furries who like musicals. I honestly have to wonder just how many people fall into that group.

OTOH, I can only imagine this becoming one of those midnight cult movies, notable for people to get drunk and enjoy the sheer awfulness.

I'm also surprised it took this long to get a thread on it. The trailer went up nearly a week ago.

That looks a special kind of bad.

But not the endearing kind where you laugh your ass off at how bad it is, e.g. The Room bad. That other special kind of bad where you just stare in utter bafflement at how this happened and you ultimately walk away regretting every second.

Asita:

I don't know, I like the designs of the live musical and I went to watch the trailer with an open mind, yet there was something that made me distinctly uncomfortable with the CGI. Especially the James Corden cat for some reason. Who knows, maybe you would get used to it while watching a feature length film.

Dalisclock:
If I were to ask the question" Who is this trailer/movie aimed towards?" and I can only imagine Furries who like musicals. I honestly have to wonder just how many people fall into that group.

Apparently, at least a large number of furries are just as weirded out as your average non-furry. And, I'd imagine, rather disappointed.

Is that purring sounds at the end? Give me a second; I have to pick up my jaw from the floor...

EDIT: Got it! Can someone make this trailer with Carmina Burana as background music? (Gangsta's Paradise is also acceptable)

Some imbeciles are already claiming that a black actress playing a white cat is whitewashing.

Clearly it's humanwashing, since none of those actors are real cats!

Adam Jensen:
Some imbeciles are already claiming that a black actress playing a white cat is whitewashing.

Clearly it's humanwashing, since none of those actors are real cats!

Imbeciles or trolls? I guess they got you. LOL

This will be an Oscar-nominated movie

I'd have thought the obvious advantage of CGI is the cats of Cats can actually be, you know, cats. Not humans in cat suits, which they kind of need to be for a musical stage show.

That is creeeeeeeeepy.

Dalisclock:

I have to question just how many furries really want this, considering how horrifying the cats look. One would think they'd want their cat people to fall less into the uncanny valley. Hell, even if they wanted the "Victims of an illegal mad science gene splicing experiment" look, I don't think this is what they'd have in mind.

I'm sure furries will find some way to make it look appealing with a much better art direction than whatever this was supposed to be. But man this looks off in more than 9 ways.

Kyrian007:
Yeah, its creepy and such but...

Wasn't the Broadway show also creepy in a very similar manner?

The pictures of the musical actually seem much more ok than the CGI. There's something inherently wrong with how it looks in the trailer than it does with some simple face paint and such. I'm not quite sure what, though

Elvis Starburst:
The pictures of the musical actually seem much more ok than the CGI. There's something inherently wrong with how it looks in the trailer than it does with some simple face paint and such. I'm not quite sure what, though

Maybe it's like Shinji said: you can tell the musical cats are people in costume and make-up.

Flamboyant, yes, but real. Unlike the cat-sized cgi manimals.

Vladislav wore it better

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here