Warhammer: 40K TV Show

Pages PREV 1 2

Dirty Hipsters:
Yup, that happens in the first book. It's actually not that he can't smile, his facial muscles are paralyzed so he can't show emotion at all, which can probably lead to some intentional or unintentional hilarity if the show-runners have any talent.

Dirty Hipsters:
As low a budget as the show will probably have, it'll probably have to spend all of it on the last episode. The first book ends with a big space marine vs chaos space marine battle on an alien planet with non-nonsensical geometry as an imperial fleet razes the whole civilization to the ground.

IN an alien planet if I remember correctly. Wasn't the planet hollow or something? I had forgotten about that part until you mentioned it. I think the explanation given for all the "wrong angles" was that the architecture was bending in time as well as space. I can't remember why they were there though. Was there a demon contained there? I also think i remember them looking for an evil book at some point but I don't recall at what point in the series that was.

I doubt they'll utilize the "my face is permanently paralyzed" thing in the TV show as I imagine not being able to show any sort of emotion would be a pain in the ass for both the actor and director. It could definitely work but I'd wager that at most they'll go with a watered down version of it so that the Actor can at least look angry from time to time. There is also the issue of having a completely paralyzed face leading to some pretty severe speech impediments that I'd doubt they'd want to have to keep up for long. Did the book ever address that? I can't remember whether it never affected his speech at all or if it did at first but went back to normal after he received some medical attention.

Silent Protagonist:

Dirty Hipsters:
Yup, that happens in the first book. It's actually not that he can't smile, his facial muscles are paralyzed so he can't show emotion at all, which can probably lead to some intentional or unintentional hilarity if the show-runners have any talent.

Dirty Hipsters:
As low a budget as the show will probably have, it'll probably have to spend all of it on the last episode. The first book ends with a big space marine vs chaos space marine battle on an alien planet with non-nonsensical geometry as an imperial fleet razes the whole civilization to the ground.

IN an alien planet if I remember correctly. Wasn't the planet hollow or something? I had forgotten about that part until you mentioned it. I think the explanation given for all the "wrong angles" was that the architecture was bending in time as well as space. I can't remember why they were there though. Was there a demon contained there? I also think i remember them looking for an evil book at some point but I don't recall at what point in the series that was.

I doubt they'll utilize the "my face is permanently paralyzed" thing in the TV show as I imagine not being able to show any sort of emotion would be a pain in the ass for both the actor and director. It could definitely work but I'd wager that at most they'll go with a watered down version of it so that the Actor can at least look angry from time to time. There is also the issue of having a completely paralyzed face leading to some pretty severe speech impediments that I'd doubt they'd want to have to keep up for long. Did the book ever address that? I can't remember whether it never affected his speech at all or if it did at first but went back to normal after he received some medical attention.

If I remember correctly in the first book the villains (working for a group of chaos marines) had an evil book that Eisenhorn took and destroyed, so the villains went to an alien outpost planet because the aliens had a copy of the same book in their alien language. Eisenhorn and a small detachment of soldiers stop the trade for the book but the villains escape, and go to the alien homeworld to get take the book by force. Eisenhorn calls in space marines and they invade the alien home world. I don't remember the alien planet being hollow (that might have been the planet in the 3rd book), but yeah I think the alien geometry being weird had something to do with it existing in 4 dimensions and therefore incorporating time into the architecture.

I don't think Eisenhorn's speech was affected because only some of his facial muscles were paralyzed, not all of them.

Dirty Hipsters:

I don't think Eisenhorn's speech was affected because only some of his facial muscles were paralyzed, not all of them.

Sure but the muscles you need to speak also tend to be the ones you use to smile or frown or whatever. I guess you could take away his ability to emote with his eyebrows and leave his ability to speak unhindered. I definitely remember the book going pretty hard on the "I never smiled again" bit so it had to have affected his mouth. That's why I thought maybe they did something to partially cure him or whatever because when they mention it later on it's usually him being thankful he is incapable of showing he is surprised or whatever. I don't know why I'm thinking about this since 40K has never cared to let science or logic get in the way. I think a while back a bunch of people were groaning about a book where apparently one of the Primarchs physically catches and then crushes a laser beam in his hand

Wait, he's canonically incapable of showing outward emotion?!?

Shit, we need to get Henry Cavill out of his Witcher contract. I suddenly know the role he'd be perfect for.

jademunky:

Shit, we need to get Henry Cavill out of his Witcher contract. I suddenly know the role he'd be perfect for.

Except Henry Cavill can be very emotive; just the DCEU gave him utter dogshit to work with.

Gordon_4:

jademunky:

Except Henry Cavill can be very emotive; just the DCEU gave him utter dogshit to work with.

Have you seen his upper lip?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or