SPORTS BALL!!!

Pages PREV 1 2 3

CheetoDust:
Never been a big sports guy. And I know many won't count it but it's an exciting time to be a pro wrestling fan with AEW presenting an actual challenge to WWE and a lot of their former talent tearing it up in the Indies. Even WWE's NXT brands are consistently fantastic.

Recently started training at a pro wrestling school which is awesome,kinda living out a dream.

I'm super psyched for you that you're living out your dream.

And I'm also psyched that this allows me to talk about something else I'm currently obsessed with that is Sports Tangiental.

Listening to Al Snow talk about anything.

I've been going through his playlist and I've been learning more about how human psychology actually performs in real life than any class I took in college.

Smithnikov:
I'm a janitor for a high school. In the South.

So football season is NOT a pleasant thing to realize.

I'm imaging your avatar to be you just before starting your work.

ObsidianJones:
I'm not the biggest into sports. But there are a few things I like.

Yet there's one thing I love.

I love Hakas.

I love Hakas. I Love Hakas. I Love HAKAS.

I simply can not express the Power and the Majesty I see in Hakas. I feel so privileged every time I see one. Hands down, there is little in my eyes that is such an unqiue expression of one's culture that humbles me every time I see one. Every time. When I learned Toronto had a Haka class, I was so excited but then I was afraid of being disrespectful for doing something of such importance for fun. I love being black, but if I had to be born again I would push everyone out of the line to be the first to be Maori. Some people fanboy and girl over Japanese and British. I am a complete Mark over the Maori culture.

Dude, the Hardcore History podcast once did some shows on the rise and fall of early Rome and one of the things that stuck out to me was during a battle between Roman's and invading northern "barbarians" where two tribes of people, one on the barbarians side and one on the Roman side are marching towards each other and the barbarians start chanting the name of their tribe (I think I remember the name being, phonetically, Am-brone-ayes )as their war cry and then the Roman people that were part of their own tribe start chanting back at them with the name of their tribe. And I'm just imagining what that would look like in a full scale Hollywood movie to see two groups of people chanting their warcries at each other as the come together and start fighting... man that would be so cool. So many great moments in history that need to be in movies.

I am amazed no one has posted this yet. I hated Tim and Eric, but this is the only gag I actually liked.

Specter Von Baren:

I'm imaging your avatar to be you just before starting your work.

I wish I was as collected and in control as Herbert West was.

No, this is me before going into work on home game nights.

quote="Smithnikov" post="18.1057312.24315650"]

CheetoDust:
Never been a big sports guy. And I know many won't count it but it's an exciting time to be a pro wrestling fan with AEW presenting an actual challenge to WWE and a lot of their former talent tearing it up in the Indies. Even WWE's NXT brands are consistently fantastic.

Recently started training at a pro wrestling school which is awesome,kinda living out a dream.

You're a brave soul. The business is rougher than usual to succeed in now. Any big names affiliated with your school?[/quote]Ha thanks. I'm already 29 years old and I'm only training, I don't need to be the next Diamond Dallas Page but if I get to actually wrestle matches somewhat regularly and take it from there I'll be happy. Finn Balor set up the school and Becky Lynch trained there.

tippy2k2:

CheetoDust:

Nice. Good luck!

I certainly consider wrastlers athletes. A quote that I have no idea where I heard comes to mind; just because it is scripted doesn't make it fake.

I watched the hell out of it in the 90s with The Attitude Era (D GENERATION X 4 LIFE!). I've tried a few times since then but everyone I knew is retired or are a shell of their former selves (evidently The Olympic Champion Kurt Angle just had hos retirement match but looked pretty awful as age catches us all).

Definitely don't watch Undertaker Vs Goldberg from earlier this year. Even I've only watched highlights there's points where it stops being sad and starts being genuinely scary.

Smithnikov:

tippy2k2:

CheetoDust:

Nice. Good luck!

I certainly consider wrastlers athletes. A quote that I have no idea where I heard comes to mind; just because it is scripted doesn't make it fake.

I watched the hell out of it in the 90s with The Attitude Era (D GENERATION X 4 LIFE!). I've tried a few times since then but everyone I knew is retired or are a shell of their former selves (evidently The Olympic Champion Kurt Angle just had hos retirement match but looked pretty awful as age catches us all).

For something "Fake", the business is absolute Hell on the body. Not just the bumps (that canvas is NOT a trampoline) but the insane schedules and travel the big feds put their talent through.

Haha my first day training bumps was rough. Took a bath the next day and actually struggled to stand back up

ObsidianJones:

CheetoDust:

I'm super psyched for you that you're living out your dream.

And I'm also psyched that this allows me to talk about something else I'm currently obsessed with that is Sports Tangiental.

Listening to Al Snow talk about anything.

I've been going through his playlist and I've been learning more about how human psychology actually performs in real life than any class I took in college.

His videos are amazing been binge watching them too over the last few weeks.

Absolutely FANTASTIC weekend of sports!!

NCAAF: my Buckeyes had a bye week and Xichigan somehow managed to squeak by Illinois, but the Oklahoma Sooners trounced Texas Longhorns in the annual Red River Showdown and few things make me happier than sad Texans.

Formula 1: #77 Valtteri Bottas, FINALLY beat out his teammate Lewis Hamilton (basically the New England Patriots of Formula 1 racing) and took 1st place in Japan. I only got into Formula 1 a year or so ago because flipping through sports channels, I heard the commentators kept saying Bottas' name and it sounded like they were saying "Butt-Ass," and my inner 12-year-old thought it was funny. Next thing I know, I'm watching every Saturday, legitimately cheering for Bottas. Weirdest way to become a genuine fan of a sport.

NFL: My 49ers WHOOPED divisional opponents the Rams 20-7!! Every sports media outlet has questioned our legitimacy, saying our [then] 4-0 record was only because we hadn't played anyone. Welp, I think beating the 2018 NFC champions for a 5-0 record says something? It's now only us and the defending Super Bowl champions (the Patriots) who're undefeated; we've jumped from 25th to SECOND in the NFL power rankings; WE ARE A THREAT!! Also, the Cowboys LOST to one of the league's WORST teams, the New York Jets!! The Jets were one of the few remaining winless teams and can now boats a proud 1-4 record. North Texas sports radio this morning was all doom and gloom, calling for [Jason Garrett's] blood, blaming and shaming, every matter of whining you can expect from fair-weather Cowboys fans; I LOVE it.

Xprimentyl:
NFL: My 49ers WHOOPED divisional opponents the Rams 20-7!!

Could you guys at least have let Goff do SOMETHING that game? My Fantasy Team got their teeth kicked in now because Goff forgot how to football.

HOW DOES SOMEONE GET 1.1 GD POINTS IN FANTASY FOOTBALL (short of being hurt)?!?!? That shouldn't be physically possible damn it!

On the plus side, The Vikings won. On the negative side, I played Diggs in fantasy too because I'm not allowed to have nice things.

tippy2k2:

Xprimentyl:

Could you guys at least have let Goff do SOMETHING that game? My Fantasy Team got their teeth kicked in now because Goff forgot how to football.

HOW DOES SOMEONE GET 1.1 GD POINTS IN FANTASY FOOTBALL (short of being hurt)?!?!? That shouldn't be physically possible damn it!

On the plus side, The Vikings won. On the negative side, I played Diggs in fantasy too because I'm not allowed to have nice things.

Sorry, pal; t'was business, not personal. I think Goff is suffering undeserved winner's guilt from last year's NFC Championship game...

Wait, your quarterback only got you 1.1 points?? Don't you get an automatic 3 points just for showing up and putting on your jersey??

The figures of those Marathon runners look absolutely ridiculous. But they sure get far in two hours.

This Pukki guy is decent at football. Who knew? Finland has the best chance to qualify to EURO 2020 next year since that time they scored an OG in the penultimate qualifications match. (It was against Hungary in '97 for the 1998 WC).

McElroy:
This Pukki guy is decent at football. Who knew? Finland has the best chance to qualify to EURO 2020 next year since that time they scored an OG in the penultimate qualifications match. (It was against Hungary in '97 for the 1998 WC).

He didn't look so good when Aston Villa beat Norwich 5-1 a couple of weekends ago. Yeah, I know this is not what you were talking about, but we Villa supporters need something to brag about every now and then.

Xprimentyl:

tippy2k2:

Xprimentyl:

Sorry, pal; t?was business, not personal. I think Goff is suffering undeserved winner?s guilt from last year?s NFC Championship game?

Wait, your quarterback only got you 1.1 points?? Don?t you get an automatic 3 points just for showing up and putting on your jersey??

0.4 points

That's it. That's what I lost by. That's 40 yards. Or 4 yards from a QB sneak. Or maybe a Philly Special so he gets 4 yards receiving (actually, it's 1 PPR so he could catch a -6 yard pass and still give me the points I needed). Or not fumbling the ball away.

You guys couldn't give me that?!?!?! :,(

At least The MLS Cup starts soon and Minnesota United are in it for the first time in their three year history. Depending on which team shows up, we either have a chance to hang with the big dawgs and go after the cup itself or we'll get curb stomped 16-0 in the first round. I swear every game we get either Elite Players or A drunken adult rec league soccer game; MN United has no middle ground.

tippy2k2:

Xprimentyl:

tippy2k2:
Snap

Sorry, pal; t?was business, not personal. I think Goff is suffering undeserved winner?s guilt from last year?s NFC Championship game?

Wait, your quarterback only got you 1.1 points?? Don?t you get an automatic 3 points just for showing up and putting on your jersey??

0.4 points

That's it. That's what I lost by. That's 40 yards. Or 4 yards from a QB sneak. Or maybe a Philly Special so he gets 4 yards receiving (actually, it's 1 PPR so he could catch a -6 yard pass and still give me the points I needed). Or not fumbling the ball away.

You guys couldn't give me that?!?!?! :,(

Had I known it was for you, I might have put in a call to Shanahan on the sidelines and told him to leash the dogs for a play or two, but seeing as I only knew we were playing the Rams and they (and the Seahawks and the Cowboys) can all die in a fire, you're lucky I didn't seek the death penalty, 20-7 being a "slap on the wrist" by comparison.

At least The MLS Cup starts soon and Minnesota United are in it for the first time in their three year history. Depending on which team shows up, we either have a chance to hang with the big dawgs and go after the cup itself or we'll get curb stomped 16-0 in the first round. I swear every game we get either Elite Players or A drunken adult rec league soccer game; MN United has no middle ground.

I don't follow soccer, but I looked up my home team (Columbus Crew,) and they're 3 teams out of the series playoffs, so meh. :\ Good luck to United!

I don't follow hockey either, but I'll take any chance to see my home state disappoint Dallas fans, so I found myself intently watching the Columbus Blue Jackets vs Dallas Stars last night... 2-3 VICTORY! Oh, the green-clad, toothless pouts were absolutely priceless! Headed to the bar after work to talk my brand of shit, and if they're anything like me and appreciate the difference between a "true fan" and "fair-weather fan," it'll burn 'em even worse because I won't even know what I'm talking about! XD

Baffle2:

Have you not noticed that kids are much bigger than they used to be? It's like they've all got thyroid problems.

Nah mate, it's because of vaccines.

On topic, the volleyball world cup just wrapped up, and I must say it wasn't enjoyable as an italy fan (none of the 3 superstars in the lineup, this isn't gonna go well boiz) but as a game where I was a neutral it was a truly amazing watch. The host nation (Japan) played the best volleyball I've ever seen them play, with better hops than a prize rabbit.

Add in that all the teams actually qualified to be there, unlike the Volleyball Nations League where the countries with the most money get a free pass (so we get to watch China getting ruined every game, and they have no chance of relegation) and it felt good to watch. Poland, Brazil, USA and Russia are currently the big 4 without a doubt, their 2nd teams can beat other countries 1st teams

Welp, it wasn't easy, but my Niners managed to claw their way past the Cardinals to 8-0!! That 3-4-1 record the Cardinals had was hiding some serious talent. I had them written off as our "gimme" games; hadn't felt the need to watch a single game of theirs all season... then they damn near beat us. Talk about a humbling experience. Budda Baker, Kenyan Drake, hell, even the newb Kyler Murray, my hat's off to you, gentlemen; I see you now...

But enough about the still solidly last team in our division.

I am more than proud of my boys; way to step it up when the doubters were at their doubting-est!! My heart sunk through the floor when George Kittle hyperextended his knee early on, seriously almost got physically sick. Our entire season flashed before my eyes; I went through all the stages of grief in about 4 seconds, landing on accepting a 10-6, maybe 11-5 season, but when Kittle walked off and never removed his helmet, I KNEW we came to play. Sure as shit, a few plays later he's smacking dudes out the way on his way to the end zone for a TD. Everybody's been hyping our defense (and rightly so,) but calling out Jimmy G. as a "weak link" at QB since we rely so heavily on our running game, but when the Cards all but shut our run game down, Jimmy G. shut the haters UP completing 28 of 37 for +300 yards, 4 TDs and Z-E-R-O interceptions!! And he looked CONFIDANT!! Even when the Cards were clawing back towards the end, "Jimmy GQ" was smiling, going through his progressions, I think he even took a nap back there in pocket he was so under control!

Next up, some much deserved rest, then the Seahawks...

Xprimentyl:
Judo Chop!

Man...everyone expected the 49ers to be better this year with Jimmy G coming back

I did not expect them to be 8 and fuqin 0 good though.

They have had an easier schedule compared to some but you can't control who you play and they've seemed to have dominated everyone they played (even that Arizona game was close only because Arizona made such a remarkable comeback, 9ers were pretty dominant that game).

I am interested to see if they keep their dominance up.

Welp, my undefeated 49ers... aren't anymore. In what's being hailed as one of (if not THE) best and most dramatic games of the season, we did not go gentle into that good [Monday] night against league powerhouse and divisional rival, the Seattle Seahawks (pronounced "Sea Bitches.") The game went into overtime and ended with their kicking a mere field goal for the win, 27-24, AND we were missing quite a few of our weapons on all sides of the ball, so essentially, even significantly wounded, we're proven dangerous. A part of me is kinda glad to have that "only undefeated team" monkey off our back; hopefully now the fucking commentators will find something else to say to jinx us between snaps.

Anyway, to lighten the mood (as I'm sure the masses frequenting this thread are probably quite saddened by my loss,) Tippy2k2, this is for you; recalling your and my girlfriend's Fantasy League woes, I laughed my ass off:

So the New England Patriots are at it again:

2007: Spygate
2014: Delfategate
Early 2019: Massagegate

And smattered betwixt and throughout all that has been a history of suspected collusion with referees (admittedly mostly by Patriots haters and those on the losing side of the most recent game,) and now in late 2019, they're in overtly hot water yet again with Spygate 2.0. Yes, basically the same thing they got caught doing over 10 years ago, but this time, they've taken blatantly obvious steps to distance themselves from the crime using an independent film crew (read: "NU-UH!! WASN'T US!!") to film a documentary for the Patriots' website about the scouting profession... at another team's facility... without the league knowing. Guess it's all coincidence that the team that allowed this taping session (the Cleveland Browns) just "happened" to be playing the next team on the Patriots' schedule (the Cincinnati Bengals) at the time, and the independent film crew "incidentally" caught 8 minutes of the Bengals' sideline signaling and play calling.

I'm not the smartest man in the world, certainly not a 6-time Super Bowl winning coach, a hall of fame quarterback or a billionaire team owner, but in the words of the NFL Countdown hosts: "C'MON, MAN!!!!" You've got perhaps one of the greatest dynasties this or any sport has ever seen; quit putting asterisks in your record book!!! And it was the Bengals! LITERALLY the worst team in the league; how much of an advantage could you possibly need??

A friend of mine is a diehard Patriots fans (and staunch Republican and Trump supporter, so yeah,) and yesterday, I had to listen to him explain away how this was just a misunderstanding and explainable... yeah right. This from the same guy who couldn't wait to disparage Colin Kaepernick for taking a knee in peaceful protest during the national anthem, but when Robert Kraft (Patriots fucking owner) got caught receiving "services" at a massage parlor from literal sex slaves, claimed his wife was dead and he was just lonely (never mind the existence of his 30-something girlfriend at the time.) I never had half the hate for the Patriots that a lot of people do, but I'm getting there...

The problem with The Patriots story is that for any other team, I might be fine giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Guilty or just a bunch of comical misunderstandings, The Patriots as an entire organization has pissed away any benefit of the doubt. I just think that they're gonna have to do a LOT to prove this is the case. Honestly, I'm not sure what they could possibly provide to prove their innocence as they are not denying that they did it, just that it was done as an accident, not for cheating purposes.

As for it being The Bengals, there are two potential explanations. One, it's a brand new head coach so they might not need it now but Billy Boy knows how to play the long game. Two, they've been doing this for EVERY team they play against, this is just the time they got caught.

tippy2k2:
The problem with The Patriots story is that for any other team, I might be fine giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Guilty or just a bunch of comical misunderstandings, The Patriots as an entire organization has pissed away any benefit of the doubt. I just think that they're gonna have to do a LOT to prove this is the case. Honestly, I'm not sure what they could possibly provide to prove their innocence as they are not denying that they did it, just that it was done as an accident, not for cheating purposes.

About the only leg they have to stand on is that in 2007, Bill Belichick took the brunt of the blame admitting that he'd it done, but chalked it up as a misunderstanding of league rules, but this time, the film crew was there filming "for the website," something I'm pretty sure Belichick likely isn't much involved in. He's a smart guy, but if he was actively involved in a scheme this elaborate, that would make him downright evil.

As for it being The Bengals, there are two potential explanations. One, it's a brand new head coach so they might not need it now but Billy Boy knows how to play the long game. Two, they've been doing this for EVERY team they play against, this is just the time they got caught.

I'd assume the former; there's no way in hell enough teams would allow filming in their facilities on behalf of the Patriots to make it a lucrative cheating methodology. 2007 did happened after all; asking around enough times would only raise suspicions and make the risk of discovery even greater.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here