What is the Concept of this Decade?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Shadowstar38:
Understanding trends, patterns, and how they affected society can only really be studied in retrospect as opposed to when where's still in the middle of it. That said.

One of the good parts: Everything related to Marvel Studios, Video games becoming increasingly mainstream, Crowdfunding becoming a thing.

As for the bad, increasing political polarization, social media increasing the vapidness of society, and most importantly...

Dirty Hipsters:
Anti-cooperation.

Because why would you work with people unless you agree on absolutely everything?

Republicans refuse to work with Democrats because of guns and abortions, Democrats refuse to work with other Democrats because they're wearing a slightly different shirt they don't like.

If you have a slightly different opinion than someone else you're "literally Satan" or on this website a "Nazi bigot."

Judging by how the last few posts went, I'm inclined to agree with this.

I am not saying a lack of co-operation is not a current issue, but rather I am saying it is not a new issue at all, and suggesting otherwise feeds into the same bullshit that things like 'Make America Great Again' do where people are wistful for an age where people did not stand up for themselves and just suffered their abuses in silence.

It is better that people make noise in defense of what is right, than be silent to appease those who dont want to care that bad things exist.

Saelune:
I am not saying a lack of co-operation is not a current issue, but rather I am saying it is not a new issue at all, and suggesting otherwise feeds into the same bullshit that things like 'Make America Great Again' do where people are wistful for an age where people did not stand up for themselves and just suffered their abuses in silence.

Obviously it was an issue to an extent before. Even in the 90's and 2000's it was a common thing that politics shouldn't be brought up in pleasant company because of the malcontent those conversations breed. I'm just saying from my perspective it seems to have been exacerbated.

It is better that people make noise in defense of what is right, than be silent to appease those who dont want to care that bad things exist.

Based on this I don't think we're even talking about the same thing so we're gonna end up talking past each other. In my experience, when otherwise rational people complain about outrage culture they're indicating overly sensitive people who get mad over stupid things, criticize everything with an air of moral superiority, and have a call to action to remove what offends them for the sake of common decency and human rights when the issue isn't that serious(I.E, people tossing around accusations of someone being a Nazi or SJW when it doesn't really fit).

Started off pretty good then things took a turn for the really stupid. Like, most of the plant caught the stupid and ran with it hard.

Worgen:
Started off pretty good then things took a turn for the really stupid. Like, most of the plant caught the stupid and ran with it hard.

Planet?

Stupidity doesn't really seems to be something new. It seems like so many people are just willfully stupid, even to their own direct detriment. I almost never see anybody wearing a helmet on a bicycle, even kids which is supposedly against the law here. I just don't get it. A helmet can save your life, I can remember dozens of lectures about this in school and the grisly consequences, all ignored by the vast majority of the population. Seatbelts too. I once worked with a guy who would pull the seatbelt over his lap, but not buckle it up! Presumably so the cops wouldn't stop him and give him a ticket. I feel like I'm the only person at my work that grasps the concept that chemicals can have an effect on your body that can take years to become apparent, and it's so discouraging to have the new hires just go "meh, my body's basically wrecked anyway" when I explain that to them. It costs you NOTHING to wear the proper PPE (company supplies it) and yet I constantly see people hammering and grinding metal without even so much as safety glasses, shop foreman especially. Makes me feel like I'm the only person in the whole company that understands the concept of safety.

Then there's all the pointless destruction that people feel the need to cause. A piano was placed downtown so people could play it and make music for others to enjoy. 6 months later some of the keys were missing, the entire front case was removed, a fifth of the hammers were broken, and it was entirely unplayable. What was the point of that?

If everybody worked together we could all live very comfortable lives. There would be enough for everybody. But instead some people need to be greedy and take everything for themselves, others need to pointlessly destroy, others refuse to obey rules even to their own detriment, and others just breed and breed until the human population reaches unsustainable levels. There are 7 BILLION people on the planet. 200 years ago there was only 1 billion. This is not sustainable growth! STOP HAVING SO MANY KIDS PEOPLE!

It seems to me that a very large portion of the population are just not fit to raise children properly.

Drathnoxis:

Then there's all the pointless destruction that people feel the need to cause. A piano was placed downtown so people could play it and make music for others to enjoy. 6 months later some of the keys were missing, the entire front case was removed, a fifth of the hammers were broken, and it was entirely unplayable. What was the point of that?

Ruining things for others gives people a sense of control. There's a reason that poor neighborhoods tend to be the ones graffitied up, tagging things makes people who have very little power suddenly feel powerful because they get to effect their environment, even if it's to the detriment of everyone, including themselves. I feel like it's similar to depressed people who cut themselves.

Then again, some people are just assholes.

Drathnoxis:
There are 7 BILLION people on the planet. 200 years ago there was only 1 billion. This is not sustainable growth! STOP HAVING SO MANY KIDS PEOPLE!

That is exclusively the third and Arab world. When circumstances are destitute and there is no future for anyone why not have more kids? In the western world birth rates are actually below replenishment levels. That there are much more people also has to do with the fact that people live much, much longer than 200 years ago. Low birth rates, aging populations, third world population booms. You can see where this is going. xD Immigration being both a necessity b/c of labor shortages and a great source for tension b/c things will never go back to the way they 'were'. Atleast in the most constructive scenario, there is also a real risk of countries unable to absorb uncontrolled immigration like we have seen in the 2015 refugee crisis. It is estimated that the population boom in Africa will have even more severe ramifications in 2050.

stroopwafel:

Drathnoxis:
There are 7 BILLION people on the planet. 200 years ago there was only 1 billion. This is not sustainable growth! STOP HAVING SO MANY KIDS PEOPLE!

That is exclusively the third and Arab world. When circumstances are destitute and there is no future for anyone why not have more kids? In the western world birth rates are actually below replenishment levels. That there are much more people also has to do with the fact that people live much, much longer than 200 years ago. Low birth rates, aging populations, third world population booms. You can see where this is going. xD Immigration being both a necessity b/c of labor shortages and a great source for tension b/c things will never go back to the way they 'were'. Atleast in the most constructive scenario, there is also a real risk of countries unable to absorb uncontrolled immigration like we have seen in the 2015 refugee crisis. It is estimated that the population boom in Africa will have even more severe ramifications in 2050.

Consumption levels are much an issue as population levels. There's more people in India than Australia for instance, but the carbon footprint per capita is much higher in the latter than the former.

Dirty Hipsters:

Saelune:
What was the US Civl War but a bunch of babies crying about losing slavery?

An entire economic upheaval of half the US and a huge expansion of federal power is a bit more significant than you're making it out to be.

Whenever you complain about Saelune treating you bad, I'm going to point this post out. Becuase God damn.

This is what you said, paraphrased.
'My wallet is not full enough. I HAVE to make people of a certain colour property.
I'm going to expand Federal laws to make sure they stay property...
Wait, you can't do that back to me. That would be UNCONSTITUTIONAL and UNFAIR.'

In other words, they are like the big business climate change deniers. No plans to change, they force their laws onto us and then complain to high hevean when the laws don't go their way. They pretend the constitution only protects them and not everyone else.

And then you wonder why Saelune goes on rants.

Yes, it did cause social and economic upheaval. Also, they should have been all locked up for breaking Human Rights. They got off lightly

trunkage:
Also, they should have been all locked up for breaking Human Rights. They got off lightly

Those weren't invented yet.

Hawki:

Consumption levels are much an issue as population levels. There's more people in India than Australia for instance, but the carbon footprint per capita is much higher in the latter than the former.

True, but people whose carbon footprint is low in India(ie the mass majority of lower classes) doesn't really live in envious circumstances. Living in the slums with little or no electricity pissing, shitting, washing and drinking all from the same river giving rise to all kind of peculiar genetic defects. Not exactly an aim to strive for. Despite having more kids their carbon footprint might be lower but it's just a life spend in heat, shit and disease ie misery.

stroopwafel:

True, but people whose carbon footprint is low in India(ie the mass majority of lower classes) doesn't really live in envious circumstances. Living in the slums with little or no electricity pissing, shitting, washing and drinking all from the same river giving rise to all kind of peculiar genetic defects. Not exactly an aim to strive for. Despite having more kids their carbon footprint might be lower but it's just a life spend in heat, shit and disease ie misery.

I never said that wasn't the case.

Best term solution for humanity and the planet is to have as few people on the world as possible, having as good a lifestyle as possible. It's been estimated that if everyone on Earth were to have the same level of consumption as the average US citizen, the world could support, at most, between 1.5 to 2 billion human beings. Unfortunately, we're at a point where consumption and population is both rising. Sooner or later, the population will have to peak and decline, but it remains to be seen whether it's a population crash or something that doesn't bring civilization crashing down with it.

Hawki:
snip

But what ends up happening is a slow crawl towards global unrest and collapse. Poor people will suffer every step of the way.

In great uncertain times, people will usually fall into conservatism and fanaticism.

ObsidianJones:
So, the 80's were the 'Me' Decade. 90's saw the Birth of PC. the 2000's were... guh. I don't know. Trash? The best I can say is that it was the Vapid Culture.

That's easy: it was the post-9/11 decade. Do you remember how charmingly, naively nihilistic the late 90s were? American Psycho, The Matrix, Fight Club. The conceited idea that the real enemy was ourselves, or our own culture, or whatever, and that we could either fight it or chug another Starbucks and wave the white flag. And then two very tall towers got loved tenderly with copious amounts of thermite jet fuel and we had the taste slapped out of our collective mouths. The Noughties were ALL about either reexamining ourselves in the light of 9/11 or a concerted effort to stick our heads in the sand.

In just 5 months, we'll hit January 2020. So, what concept do you think will best define this culture?

I think history will record the 2010s as the decade of social media, and all the trash that bought us. "Influencers". Outrage culture. Boobstreamers. #MeToo. Hashtags in general, and the fact that 99 times out of 100 they're used incorrectly. Social Justice. Fake News. Internet 2.0 blossoming into a magnificent dripping Rafflesia: nobody is just a consumer any more, everybody is also simultaneously a creator, a participant. Feelings are more important that facts. Facts can be picked and chosen from. Evidence can be dismissed at will. Doxxing. Kickstarters. "1 Like = 1 Pray". Slacktivism. #ThotAudit. Memes. Bloggers getting PTSD from mean comments. Hugboxes. Tumblrinas. Therapy dogs for students. A retreat to infancy, the ego reigning supreme. "I identify as..." replacing "that offends me". Microtransactions. Twitch. Grown adults crying because video game characters are too sexy or not sexy enough. The expectation - nay, the demand that the consumer can not only call the tune if he pays the piper, but he can grab the flute and have a go himself. Call-out culture. Listicles masquerading as journalism.

Come back, '90s, all is forgiven.

trunkage:
Probably. Why Bezos, Gates, Trump and Zuckerberg aren't called Robber Baron just astounds me. It also explains why Communism is making such a comeback

They are, and handily, provided you look to the proper spaces (and generally, away from mainstream discussion).

Saelune:
What was the US Civl War but a bunch of babies crying about losing slavery?

An industrialized military slapfight between two groups of bourgeoisie, waged by the lowest economic classes, over whose conception of slavery will reign dominant in the modern era? The American colonies had a strong and growing abolitionist movement throughout the 18th Century, put to rest by the invention of the cotton gin and lasting until the later developments of the Industrial Revolution made chattel slavery economically prohibitive anywhere but the agrarian South.

McElroy:

trunkage:
Also, they should have been all locked up for breaking Human Rights. They got off lightly

whelp, that certainly makes it okay

trunkage:

McElroy:

trunkage:

It does, yes. I'm glad we agree.

Batou667:
Bloggers getting PTSD from mean comments.

Death threats you mean.

Historians will see the last 2 decades as one of the most interesting toxic moments of the modern age.

Frustration.

"Current Year Politics"?

McElroy:

trunkage:

McElroy:

It does, yes. I'm glad we agree.

Yeah. Definitely didn't have a Constitution either explain how all men were free.

I was being sarcastic. They had laws. Slaver made their own laws federally and forced it upon everyone else. Where were the state rights there?

You know that saying about putting a frog in cold water then slowly turning up the heat so it boils without realising? Well that saying is bullshit, a frog will absolutely jump out of water starting to boil around it, and thats kind of how the past decade has felt. Things started off cool but now they're starting to simmer and people are jumping to draw attention to it before everything boils over

CM156:

PsychedelicDiamond:
Neo fascism.

Everything is getting a reboot. Super heroes, movies, and failed 20th century ideologies.

ObsidianJones:
In short, I'm calling it now. If the world ends due to this decade's inaction, we can place it straight at the feet of people like Mark Zuckerburg.

I 'unno, I think the Zuccmeister and his platform are more a symptom than the underlying disease.

If the recession hits before the new year we can wrap this whole decade up in a neat package titled the 'Personally, I think the 1930s are underrated'-decade

trunkage:
Definitely didn't have a Constitution either explain how all men were free.

I was being sarcastic. They had laws. Slaver made their own laws federally and forced it upon everyone else. Where were the state rights there?

Wasn't much of a human rights document since it permitted slavery, now was it?

Like, if Animal Rights violations start getting people jail time in 2050, I won't let my hypothetical grandkids (who would've never seen a world without those rights) shit on past generations for not respecting them.

McElroy:

trunkage:

Like, if Animal Rights violations start getting people jail time in 2050, I won't let my hypothetical grandkids (who would've never seen a world without those rights) shit on past generations for not respecting them.

How will you stop them?
You'll just be the backward bigoted old guy to them.

Kwak:

McElroy:

trunkage:

How will you stop them?
You'll just be the backward bigoted old guy to them.

I will cry about it on The Escapist V11 forums. It's not a realistic scenario anyhow.

Maybe they would reason then like I do now.

Impotent Rage.

Too edgy? Hmm, maybe... Oh my god, that's right!

TOO EDGY

Also known by the future historians as 'the 2edgies'.

McElroy:

trunkage:

Why not? I mean, we shit all over slavers.

I understand, your putting them into the context of their time. Doesn't make it acceptable. At all. This time was used to develop the concept of human rights. It's just that some people had to pay a way bigger price than others.

Also, your total correct. The Constitution was a pretty terrible document. As I stated, it definitely favoured certain people over others. It's almost like the Founding Fathers were tyrants themselves. Couldn't keep their dirty little mitts of the cookie jar. All of it wouldn't be so galling if they weren't the one writing it and favour themselves.

But, that might sound way too much like Feminism talk.

MrCalavera:
Impotent Rage.

Too edgy? Hmm, maybe... Oh my god, that's right!

TOO EDGY

Also known by the future historians as 'the 2edgies'.

Wasn't that last decade?

trunkage:

McElroy:

trunkage:

Why not? I mean, we shit all over slavers.

I understand, your putting them into the context of their time. Doesn't make it acceptable. At all. This time was used to develop the concept of human rights. It's just that some people had to pay a way bigger price than others.

Sure. What I want to be clear with is that people draw stuff like Human Rights for the future, not to take jabs at the past and certainly not to retroactively come up with punishments for what was done in the past. We have to accept the linear nature of time and causality. Thinking it's injustice that slavers weren't caught abusing human rights in the 1850s is a little dumb, in my opinion.

Shadowstar38:

One of the good parts: Everything related to Marvel Studios,

I don't think this counts as a "good part."

How you feel about the MCU aside, I'd argue that its influence has been negative because of two key reasons:

1) Because of the MCU, every studio under the sun wanted to build their own cinematic universe. How many people have actually succeeded? Has the cinema landscape been improved by it? The MCU can't be held accountable for the failure of other studios in of itself, but if we're evaluating the knock-on effects, I'd argue that it's easily a net negative for film.

2) This is less to do with the MCU, and more to do with Disney, but the MCU's under Disney, so I'm going to point out Disney's monopoly on the industry, what with its purchase of Fox. Then there's also Disney +, which looks set to dominate the streaming industry, or at least act as a serious rival to Netflix. I've seen a number of articles on this, exploring the effects of Disney's stranglehold on US film, but point is, I'd argue that lack of competition isn't good in the creation of art. I mean, just look at this year, where Disney can make a shot-for-shot remake of the Lion King, have it bereft of any soul...and still have it make over a billion dollars.

Of all the issues in the world, the cinemascape ranks fairly low for me, but over the last decade, the film industry has shifted, and I'd argue not for the better.

Game of Thrones was also a concept of the decade. But y'know what's kinda funny? The final season has got a total of 9 acting nominations in the 71st Emmy Awards (the show takes place in four weeks). Of course one for Writing too. Three for Direction and one for the series itself.

Award shows, amirite? Those smug farts...

Most of what I could say could be summed up with "UR A FGT"

Yea, that sums it up good.

Smithnikov:
Most of what I could say could be summed up with "UR A FGT"

Yea, that sums it up good.

2020s will be called the "no u's". Mark my words.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here