What is the Concept of this Decade?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I dunno, ever since the 90's I haven't really felt like there's any real distinct personality to the 2000's, at least compared to them. Nothing like the, "YO DUDE! Everything is totally radical right?" of the 90's since then.

I suppose that is in it's own way an example of how the internet and the massive communication explosion has homogenized the personality of these time periods.

Specter Von Baren:
I dunno, ever since the 90's I haven't really felt like there's any real distinct personality to the 2000's, at least compared to them. Nothing like the, "YO DUDE! Everything is totally radical right?" of the 90's since then.

I suppose that is in it's own way an example of how the internet and the massive communication explosion has homogenized the personality of these time periods.

I kind of wonder if there's a counterpart to you in the 90s saying the exact same thing about the 90s. I don't think you can really stereotype a decade until you're a good few years past that decade

Eh, normally we don't get a big event right before or right after the start of a decade to define it. Sometimes you get 9/11 to bring in the 00s or WW2 to end the 30s (or Queen Victoria dying to bring in the previous 00s).

OTOH, if Britain falls apart and the US gets that new civil war they've been after in 2020, by comparison we'll get something to call the 10's.

Thaluikhain:
Eh, normally we don't get a big event right before or right after the start of a decade to define it. Sometimes you get 9/11 to bring in the 00s or WW2 to end the 30s (or Queen Victoria dying to bring in the previous 00s).

OTOH, if Britain falls apart and the US gets that new civil war they've been after in 2020, by comparison we'll get something to call the 10's.

Another GFC is also likely. The 2010s sill become the simplier time that we all pine for

This decade is definitely the decade of "social media" or the "Internet me". All kind of people and stuff that in the previous decade stayed away from social media or Internet in general went full online. Of course because the Internet is an unchecked place where the most vocal and visible wins, idiocy has spread like a wildfire in the Amazon forest.

Homogeneity?

Xprimentyl:
Homogeneity?

If it is so, I ain't seeing it...

Apathy.

Assigning "eras" to actual decades is awkward, because history does not work so neatly.

The past 2-3 years are very different from the 5 or 6 that came before.

Anything past the first Brexit vote seems like it's in a completely different era entirely.

And with the madness that's going on in the past year (hell the past month) alone, the only thing that's similar to the era before it is "The rich are still getting richer at everyone else's expense".

Tireseas:
Apathy.

This is the closest thing I've seen to something that cohesively covers the last decade.

The 10's could be considered the decade of information toxicity. There is no absolute truth anymore, as it is distorted, buried or spun into something else, whether for personal gain or simply being easier for the people to digest. It matters not being plebs or the powers that be.

But that is another symptom of a bigger problem, which is people simply don't like being told what they don't want to hear, especially if it is the truth. The more power you have, the more you can make it go away. For everyone else, it's simply become acceptable to live in a bubble of ignorance and denial, as a sense of personal responsibility has also been lost in the midst of it all.

Basically, we've been steadily creating our very own custom shitheap of a society by losing track of basic intangible tenets of life. If only everyone just learned the Golden Rule and adhered to it through thick and thin.

There is always one concept that should remain. Regardless of the decade or era.

This is the decade that stupidity won. Diseases which should be extinct by now are making a comeback, "alternative facts" became a term that people believed instead of laughed at, people are actively advocating for putting MORE poisons in the environment just to "own those libs", and we're preparing the world to burn while denying any evidence of it.

Maybe the cockroaches will do a better job.

I first read the thread title as "What is the Concept of this Debacle?"

On second thought, I think it is an apt question.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here