Face/Off

So.. this is happening

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cinemablend.com/news/2479418/nicolas-cage-and-john-travoltas-faceoff-is-getting-a-reboot

Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. That movie won't strike twice. They were lucky the first time, and lucky everyone went with the utter nonsense of a plot.

But... who do you think should Face/Off?

(There is talk that it might be gender swapped, so don't limit this silliness to males.)

That Brienne lady from Game of Thrones and Natalie Portman.

trunkage:
So.. this is happening

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cinemablend.com/news/2479418/nicolas-cage-and-john-travoltas-faceoff-is-getting-a-reboot

Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. That movie won't strike twice. They were lucky the first time, and lucky everyone went with the utter nonsense of a plot.

(There is talk that it might be gender swapped, so don't limit this silliness to males.)

I have no idea. I am not even going to bother trying. You can't out do the crazy of Cage and Travolta. In fact, it was the first movie with Nic Cage I watched. I was hooked on him since then and the first Ghost Rider.

Michael Cera and Jesse Eisenberg.

MrCalavera:

How would you tell the difference? :P

trunkage:

Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. That movie won't strike twice.

It didn't even strike the first time.

CoCage:

trunkage:
So.. this is happening

I have no idea. I am not even going to bother trying. You can't out do the crazy of Cage and Travolta. In fact, it was the first movie with Nic Cage I watched. I was hooked on him since then and the first Ghost Rider.

Yeah, without Cage and Travolta trying to be the most absurd version of each other and John Woo's fairly slick action scenes, I can't see myself paying this much attention. And I mean really, you cannot out-Nicholas Cage, Nicholas Cage. Unless maybe you're Malcolm McDowell I suppose.

Who asked for this? Nobody. NOBODY. It's not even as if it's some forgotten classic black and white film with long-dead actors that needs repackaging for a modern audience. Who thought this was a good idea?

I am disgruntled. Yes, madam, disgruntled.

Batou667:
Who asked for this? Nobody. NOBODY. It's not even as if it's some forgotten classic black and white film with long-dead actors that needs repackaging for a modern audience. Who thought this was a good idea?

I am disgruntled. Yes, madam, disgruntled.

I mean, there's probably 20 movies a year that are in the same position. Who asked for another Predator movie? Or Robocop?

Well Face/off is a very 90s product, directed by 90s 'visionary' - for lack of a non-dismissive synonym - John Woo, who impressed many at the time with his slo-mo doves I suppose, but wouldn't cut it today. So any attempt would be recommended to evolve with the times and not wallow entirely in past glories. A modern action visionary, whoever that would be, should be assigned to the task. I wonder whether they're thinking of adding ridiculous twists to up the game this time though, like half of the characters family turn out to be undercover cops all doing their own face/off, the US president is really the Mexican president and the local dentist is actually the local Baker. It could be a self-aware comedy, it might well be. Mission impossible has become a little predictable in that regard, where everytime you see the villain getting what they want, you pretty much know everyone around them is about to rip off their faces at the last second and laugh heartily at the big bad getting punked on live TV airing all their war crimes and shit.

Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart. They seem incapable of doing films without each other these days. And I think it would be amusing for them to try and asspull why the rest of the actors' bodies also got altered when they do the face switch.

I mean the first movie was stupid as hell and nobody gave a shit, I think the only way a reboot would have a chance, is if they just dove face first into the absurdity of the premise, and stopped giving all the fucks that exist.

Squilookle:

trunkage:

Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. That movie won't strike twice.

It didn't even strike the first time.

It sure didn't. I'm old enough that I had to live through that period when it just came out and everyone hailed as an action masterpiece, and I couldn't wait for them to shut up fast enough.

Also...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7cjHRlLgVw

Gordon_4:

MrCalavera:

Exactly.

Christ. Someone was having an off day when they were hearing pitches. Of all the classic movies that could be ripped off for cheap profit remade, why that middling action movie?

Incidentally, I'd like to see the people facing off as Kathy Bates and McCaulay Culkin.

You just know they'll try to take it seriously and make it all moody, not go balls to the wall crazy like the original did

Neurotic Void Melody:
Well Face/off is a very 90s product, directed by 90s 'visionary' - for lack of a non-dismissive synonym - John Woo, who impressed many at the time with his slo-mo doves I suppose, but wouldn't cut it today. So any attempt would be recommended to evolve with the times and not wallow entirely in past glories. A modern action visionary, whoever that would be, should be assigned to the task. I wonder whether they're thinking of adding ridiculous twists to up the game this time though, like half of the characters family turn out to be undercover cops all doing their own face/off, the US president is really the Mexican president and the local dentist is actually the local Baker. It could be a self-aware comedy, it might well be. Mission impossible has become a little predictable in that regard, where everytime you see the villain getting what they want, you pretty much know everyone around them is about to rip off their faces at the last second and laugh heartily at the big bad getting punked on live TV airing all their war crimes and shit.

I would call it a product of the 80s becuase so many people had to be on so many drugs.

Also, why was this movie loved and not Mission Impossible 2 derided and not this one. They were just as stupid

trunkage:

Neurotic Void Melody:

I would call it a product of the 80s becuase so many people had to be on so many drugs.

Also, why was this movie loved and not Mission Impossible 2 derided and not this one. They were just as stupid

Because Mission Impossible 2 felt like a James Bond movie and not a MI movie. Plus, having a John Woo movie that pg-13 is neutering him. That movie's problems are more at fault with the studio and execs than Woo himself. They kicked him out of the editing room, and took control away from his film. Face/Off I found as Woo's 2nd best American film. Hard Target owns all of his American productions. Speaking of Woo, I still have to see his most recent film where he takes it back to his roots. Manhunt is what it is called.

This is a great argument for Face/Off: Is FACE/OFF a Good Film?

CoCage:

trunkage:

Because Mission Impossible 2 felt like a James Bond movie and not a MI movie.

James Bond and John Woo are complete opposites. There wasn't a single thing about MI:2 that was like James Bond. There was basically nothing in it that was like Mission Impossible either, which was the real problem with it. Face/Off had the advantage of coming out of nowhere without any preconceived expectations.

Squilookle:

CoCage:

trunkage:

There wasn't a single thing about MI:2 that was like James Bond. There was basically nothing in it that was like Mission Impossible either, which was the real problem with it. Face/Off had the advantage of coming out of nowhere without any preconceived expectations.

Yes, it felt like a low grade James Bond movie and I stand by that. MI2 lacked the team dynamic all of the other Mission Impossibles; even III, which was just a generic thriller by comparison. The lover interest is a generic girl-of-the-week who might as well not even exist in the later movies. The villain, Sean Ambrose, has more than a few similarities to Golden Eye's main baddie, Alec Trevelyan. Both are a rogue agent, evil version to the main hero (though Trevelyan is a former friend of Bonds while Ambrose and Hunt always disliked each other). Not to mention you had this weird dove symbolism for Ethan that does not work for character like him. I know doves is a Woo staple, but in a Mission Impossible movie that does not want to be one, but that is fucking nonsensical. MI2 is the Devil May Cry 2 of the MI movies in terms of being bizzaro entry and not lining up well with the rest of the series. Though MI2 can have entertaining moments, DMC2 is boring as hell. Say what you will about the other MI films (mainly 4-6), but at least they're closer to the TV series in spirit with the team dynamic and not completely turning in to the Ethan show.

CoCage:

Squilookle:

CoCage:

There wasn't a single thing about MI:2 that was like James Bond. There was basically nothing in it that was like Mission Impossible either, which was the real problem with it. Face/Off had the advantage of coming out of nowhere without any preconceived expectations.

Yes, it felt like a low grade James Bond movie and I stand by that. MI2 lacked the team dynamic all of the other Mission Impossibles; even III, which was just a generic thriller by comparison. The lover interest is a generic girl-of-the-week who might as well not even exist in the later movies. The villain, Sean Ambrose, has more than a few similarities to Golden Eye's main baddie, Alec Trevelyan. Both are a rogue agent, evil version to the main hero (though Trevelyan is a former friend of Bonds while Ambrose and Hunt always disliked each other). Not to mention you had this weird dove symbolism for Ethan that does not work for character like him. I know doves is a Woo staple, but in a Mission Impossible movie that does not want to be one, but that is fucking nonsensical. MI2 is the Devil May Cry 2 of the MI movies in terms of being bizzaro entry and not lining up well with the rest of the series. Though MI2 can have entertaining moments, DMC2 is boring as hell. Say what you will about the other MI films (mainly 4-6), but at least they're closer to the TV series in spirit with the team dynamic and not completely turning in to the Ethan show.

James Bond movies aren't that great either. And the low grade James Bond are the ones with the America stereotype being an obnoxious idiot from the Connery era (that they ripped off at the start of Despicable Me .)

But I would agree MI2 did feel a lot like Brosnon era Bond. Utter bollocks (that was similar to Face/Off) that was so ridiculous it was kinda okay

CoCage:

Squilookle:

CoCage:

All your points about MI:2 being the bizarro entry that isn't anything like the other M:Is is true, but it still isn't anything like Bond- the former colleage turned enemy is a well trodden path in movies, not just Goldeneye. I don't remember anyone saying the Expendables was a Bond knockoff, even though it did the same thing.

trunkage:
the low grade James Bond are the ones with the America stereotype being an obnoxious idiot from the Connery era (that they ripped off at the start of Despicable Me .)

The most frequent American we saw in Connery's time (and subsequent eras) was Felix Leiter, who's not only a competent agent in his own right, but Bond's best friend. Sure during the 60s films Americans in general are portrayed as overly paranoid about the Cold War, but in fairness... so were the real Americans.

Squilookle:

CoCage:

Squilookle:

All your points about MI:2 being the bizarro entry that isn't anything like the other M:Is is true, but it still isn't anything like Bond- the former colleage turned enemy is a well trodden path in movies, not just Goldeneye. I don't remember anyone saying the Expendables was a Bond knockoff, even though it did the same thing.

trunkage:
the low grade James Bond are the ones with the America stereotype being an obnoxious idiot from the Connery era (that they ripped off at the start of Despicable Me .)

The most frequent American we saw in Connery's time (and subsequent eras) was Felix Leiter, who's not only a competent agent in his own right, but Bond's best friend. Sure during the 60s films Americans in general are portrayed as overly paranoid about the Cold War, but in fairness... so were the real Americans.

I have a feeling they're referring to Sheriff W.J. Pepper who made cringe inducing appearances in Live and Let Die and Man with the Golden Gun. His presence in the former was understandable since Bond was on his turf but running into Bond while on holiday in Thailand? Oof.

Gordon_4:

Squilookle:

CoCage:

trunkage:

I have a feeling they?re referring to Sheriff W.J. Pepper who made cringe inducing appearances in Live and Let Die and Man with the Golden Gun. His presence in the former was understandable since Bond was on his turf but running into Bond while on holiday in Thailand? Oof.

That's the guy. Man with the Golden Gun is my worst Bond movie. An American idiot walking around permanently with a cock in his mouth doesn't help.

Those two movies seemed to have their budget halved compared to earlier movies. They look terrible

Squilookle:

It is for me and several others feels like a Bond knockoff. That's my opinion and I am not going to change. It may not be 100% 007, but there are a lot elements there which I just listened.

CoCage:

Squilookle:

It is for me and several others feels like a Bond knockoff. That's my opinion and I am not going to change. It may not be 100% 007, but there are a lot elements there which I just listened.

Relax, buddy, I'm not trying to convert you from your cherry picking.

trunkage:
Man with the Golden Gun is my worst Bond movie. An American idiot walking around permanently with a cock in his mouth doesn't help.

Yeah Golden Gun was... not great. There's this running theory that every time a new actor comes in, they work extra hard at his first outing, and then they always get super lazy for movie number 2. TMWTGG certainly suffers that fate.

Squilookle:

CoCage:

Squilookle:

Relax, buddy, I'm not trying to convert you from your cherry picking.

trunkage:
Man with the Golden Gun is my worst Bond movie. An American idiot walking around permanently with a cock in his mouth doesn't help.

Yeah Golden Gun was... not great. There's this running theory that every time a new actor comes in, they work extra hard at his first outing, and then they always get super lazy for movie number 2. TMWTGG certainly suffers that fate.

I never said you were trying to convert me, know did I imply it. And it's not cherry picking.

trunkage:

People still did drugs in the 90s, perhaps even moreso as there were further options being made commonly available such as the everloving MDMA! I can't speak for the MI2 thing, it's not been an area of interest for many years. Would hesitate to guess there's way more baggage with a sequel to a well-known series as opposed to a standalone film that colours people's opinions and expectations going in. One has a fresh start on a lovely clean plate, the other has...well, expectations I suppose.

Ian McKellen and Donald Sutherland
in
Face/Off Again: Old Face

Happyninja42:
Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart.

Lol, yes, please.

MrCalavera:

Gordon_4:

MrCalavera:

Exactly.

Fun fact, I looked them up, and had no idea they were two different people.

Merly streep and Geena Davis (I like that old face idea and I'm stealing it)
Glenn Close (when she was in the Shield) and Gary Busey. Because she looked far too much like Gary Busey
Copying the orginal idea for Face Off, I'm picking too meat head 'actors'. John Vena and Dave Bautista
Bond reunion - Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan

Xprimentyl:

MrCalavera:

Gordon_4:

Exactly.

Fun fact, I looked them up, and had no idea they were two different people.

Lol

trunkage:

Gordon_4:

Squilookle:

I have a feeling they?re referring to Sheriff W.J. Pepper who made cringe inducing appearances in Live and Let Die and Man with the Golden Gun. His presence in the former was understandable since Bond was on his turf but running into Bond while on holiday in Thailand? Oof.

That's the guy. Man with the Golden Gun is my worst Bond movie. An American idiot walking around permanently with a cock in his mouth doesn't help.

Those two movies seemed to have their budget halved compared to earlier movies. They look terrible

Man with The Golden Gun should have been on of the easiest six runs a Bond movie has ever bat. You had one of the arguable real life inspirations for the character playing the villain, who was also an actor of unparalleled skill. You had a good gimmick. Some great locations and one of the best ever stunts put to celluloid. Making it as not good as they did - that fucking slide whistle! - is almost an achievement unto itself. I still like it but thats because I'm fond of Roger Moore, Christopher Lee is magnetic as all fuck, and Lulu put her heart and soul into that opening number.

trunkage:

Only if they get Timothy Dalton to basically reprise his Hot Fuzz character. I could watch sneering pantomime Timothy Dalton all day

Zac Galifinakis and Nick Frost

The thing about Face-Off is that is was a bonkers premise acted with utter madness by the two leads but played completely straight other than that. I vaguely recall there was this "gritty" subplot about a super-high-tech-prison where everyone has these bulky magnetic bootie-things. OTOH that might've been another Nic Cage film.

Anyway, you could do that in the 90's and not be self-aware, at the time, that you were making a very silly product (or that you were walking into one).

Palindromemordnilap:

trunkage:

Only if they get Timothy Dalton to basically reprise his Hot Fuzz character. I could watch sneering pantomime Timothy Dalton all day

If that's the case, Brosnan would have to reprise his role from The World's End. Simon Pegg can come too- and play the wife.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here