I need help with an time issue I have with my Windows PC.

So here's the rub. My Windows Clock is not working properly, time is moving backwards with it after every hour. Like just now I saw it went from 7 AM to 6 AM, and when I leave my PC on over night, when I walk up at 6 AM I see my PC still thinks its 11:00 PM.

The issue apparently is that my CMOS Battery has died/drained out:

So I have to replace it with another one. What I wanna know is are these things common to find? Like I can find it in my local Walgreen's or Walmart and what have you? Or is there a catch?

I have been going through this issue for awhile now and I think it just now it has gotten worse because i think its affecting some Online Games I play like World of Warcraft where I get disconnects, but for some reason my internet is still functioning properly so I believe its the clock messing with the game thinking its earlier.

You can find them anywhere, at least here in the third world. They're the same batteries you'll find in bicycle lights, I believe. Just make sure it's the same number as the one you have on your mobo.

Samtemdo8:

So I have to replace it with another one. What I wanna know is are these things common to find? Like I can find it in my local Walgreen's or Walmart and what have you? Or is there a catch?

Just type whatever it says on the battery into Google: i.e. "panasonic cr2032". You'll pick up hits that will tell you all you need to know and who sells it, and enough will probably also let you know equivalents made by other firms.

Generally, in terms of batteries, all you really need to care about is that it's the right size and voltage.

Yes, those should be pretty common to find. If you can't get one in an electronics store, or whatever, ask at the nearest watchmaker.

MrCalavera:
Yes, those should be pretty common to find. If you can't get one in an electronics store, or whatever, ask at the nearest watchmaker.

Mind you I think these batteries are bigger then the ones you install in a watch.

These are meant for Motherboards.

Samtemdo8:

MrCalavera:

Mind you I think these batteries are bigger then the ones you install in a watch.

These are meant for Motherboards.

Yes, i know since i actually had to replace one in my MB a year ago, or so. You can get those at watchmaker's, cause there are multiple uses for those.
Would be best, if you'd just take the battery with you to the store, and ask if they have a replacement.

You could have gotten away with just Googling "cr2032".

If you look around at shops you'll find that these kinds of batteries are rather common ( the flat ones ), you just need to check for the correct number as there are quite a variety of them.

bluegate:
You could have gotten away with just Googling "cr2032".

If you look around at shops you'll find that these kinds of batteries are rather common ( the flat ones ), you just need to check for the correct number as there are quite a variety of them.

Not all PC CMOS Batteries are the same though right?

Bear in mind, the few times I've had to buy those lithium batteries, they were dead in the package.

This isn't always the case, but I've had bad luck buying them from drugstores. If possible, pick one up at something like Best Buy or "better". They should have a higher product turnaround, meaning better chances of the battery actually working.

Oh, and just stick with Panasonic. Those should be everywhere.

It's probably just switching from daylight savings time.

Drathnoxis:

No this has been an issue for years on my PC, it can go back in time for hours.

Samtemdo8:

Drathnoxis:

Daylight savings time has been around for over a hundred years.

Drathnoxis:

Samtemdo8:

Drathnoxis:

It happens every day befoe the transition of Daylights Savings Time.

I have once seen my PC went from 6 AM back to 11 PM.

Just as a quick tip, if you ever need to quickly reset the time on your PC to the correct time (and can't be bothered doing it manually), download a small portable app called "UpdateTime.exe" from here.
Just leave it on your desktop (or wherever) and run it whenever you need to. It only needs an internet connection and admin rights. Also make sure your PC's time zone is set correctly, as the app uses that to calculate the correct time offset for your location.

And yes, Windows has a built in function that does much the same thing. But that's on a fairly infrequent and inconsistent schedule, and I often find it just doesn't work at all.

$5 at Amazon.com cr2032 3v batteries

Samtemdo8:

Drathnoxis:

Samtemdo8:

It should be happening the day of the transition not the day before. Have you tried turning your computer off and then back on again?

Drathnoxis:

Samtemdo8:

Drathnoxis:

It should be happening the day of the transition not the day before. Have you tried turning your computer off and then back on again?

Yes, I did that, it still happens.

And when I turned it on again after an hour, its still in the hour it was turned off.

Samtemdo8:

Drathnoxis:

Samtemdo8:

And when I turned it on again after an hour, its still in the hour it was turned off.

Is your Windows up to date?

Drathnoxis:

Samtemdo8:

Drathnoxis:

It happens even the last time I updated it.

Samtemdo8:

Drathnoxis:

Samtemdo8:

It happens even the last time I updated it.

Aha, now we're getting somewhere!

Sometimes Windows updates can break more than they fix. What you need to do is go into Windows update and uninstall them one by one until you find which one broke your clock and then set that one not to reinstall. Either that or just buy a new CMOS battery.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here