Poll: Berserk, Fist of the North Star, or Legends of the Galactic Heroes? Which do I watch first?

Which do I watch first? I just finished watching all of One Piece from Episode 1 to 900.

So now I am in the market for another anime and I am looking at 3 of them:

Berserk (1997 version, because the new CGI one is garbage I heard)

Fist of the North Star (both old and new)

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (1980s version only)

Berserk sadly I am already made aware of a major spoiler about a certain female character. And I heard the 1997 version ends at that climactic moment.

Fist of the North Star I wanna watch so that I would have the much needed context to play the PS4 game Lost Paradise.

Legends of the Galactic heroes because the English translations of the original novels are about to be released by the end of the years, all the novels mind you.

Hm, i haven't watched "Legends of the Galactic heroes" (i think), but of the other two i would clearly say "Berserk" (Eh, maybe throw in the first episode of "Fist of the North Star")

The spoiler doesn't matter

Also: Watching a million-billion episode-series... just asking: Does it feel like wasted time in retrospect? I just couldn't get into those long-running series. I am always like "Oh, a guy can see spirits and such and gets thrown into matters of life and death with his friends when Shinigami enter his life? Sounds awesome - wait HOW MANY episodes?" or "Everybody is a ninja and there is magic and fights and shit - My GOD, can't they just fucking tell a story and not milk that shit for twenty years with garbage padding?"

Fist of the Northstar. The first series actually has an ending. Skip the sequel. Then play Lost Paradise. Keep in mind that LP is a what if scenario made in to a Yakuza style game, but even more over-the-top. Galtics Heroes I have heard great things about, but never saw it.

Summerstorm:
Hm, i haven't watched "Legends of the Galactic heroes" (i think), but of the other two i would clearly say "Berserk" (Eh, maybe throw in the first episode of "Fist of the North Star")

The spoiler doesn't matter

Also: Watching a million-billion episode-series... just asking: Does it feel like wasted time in retrospect? I just couldn't get into those long-running series. I am always like "Oh, a guy can see spirits and such and gets thrown into matters of life and death with his friends when Shinigami enter his life? Sounds awesome - wait HOW MANY episodes?" or "Everybody is a ninja and there is magic and fights and shit - My GOD, can't they just fucking tell a story and not milk that shit for twenty years with garbage padding?"

Shounen that did not waste time are Shaman King (anime only), Yu Yu Hakusho (anime only), and Jojo parts 1-4.

Berserk is no doubt the most enjoyable. Easy to digest and not that long. I love the animation in this and even after repeat viewings I still really like it. Wish it hadn't cut so much out of the first arc of the manga and that it continued after the eclipse; but even on it's own it's still really, really good.

Legend is truly incredible but it's heavy on political commentary of an incompetent democracy vs a militaristic aristocracy. The clash between these two is delivered with intense depth I haven't really seen replicated anywhere else. It also has some of the most genuinely intriguing characters including me favorite Reinhard von Lohengramm. But with 120 something episodes the show is also quite the commitment. But it's sooo good I'm actually watching it a second time now.

Fist of the North Star was really riding the waves of the Mad Max inspired '80s anime and the one-dimensional storyline and over the top violence is really a product of it's time. I would only recommend this kind of dated anime if you really like that particular brand. I played the game and by no means is the anime necessary to enjoy it. If you're not a long time fan of the anime in the first place I doubt watching the anime would even add to the enjoyment. Seems more like a chore.

Summerstorm:

Ah, you described one reason I don't watch anime anymore.

As for Legend of Galactic Heroes, all I know is that /pol/ gets boners over that series and it's supposed to be some treatise on how great military aristocracies are and how incompetent women are, so I myself gave it a pass just on premise.

Not as insulting as Tanya the Evil, I imagine though.

Smithnikov:

Summerstorm:

As for Legend of Galactic Heroes, all I know is that /pol/ gets boners over that series and it's supposed to be some treatise on how great military aristocracies are and how incompetent women are, so I myself gave it a pass just on premise.

I saw it as a war between a Galactic Empire that has long since fallen from greatness, and a Democratic Alliance that has lost its ideological roots and is corrupted?

Don't take whatever /pol/ says seriously, these are the same guys that made 40k out to be something other then waht it actually is.

Nichijou, it's really good and far more epic than any of those shows.

Fist of the North Star. If only because you should just read Berserk, none of the Anime does it justice.

You should probably read Berserk instead of watching one of its cheap anime adaptions.

Samtemdo8:

Smithnikov:

Summerstorm:

I saw it as a war between a Galactic Empire that has long since fallen from greatness, and a Democratic Alliance that has lost its ideological roots and is corrupted?

Don't take whatever /pol/ says seriously, these are the same guys that made 40k out to be something other then waht it actually is.

Ehmm..not really it mostly points at the flaws of a democratic system that gives weak and incompetent leaders executive control over the military leading not to tactical but rather self-serving political decision making with all of it's pointless sacrifice and disastrous consequences.

The empire on the other hand has the military serve the autocratic nobles but they are so decadent and weak that they are slowly usurped by tactical genius Reinhard von Lohengramm. In strategy however the military has always set the course and so enabled Reinhard his successes unlike the genius on the other side, Yang Wenli, of the democratic alliance whose civilian leaders always maneuvered him in impossible positions.

It's an absolutely brilliant show that goes extremely in-depth about both political systems. Some say in light of Japan's problematic past the glorification of the military is somewhat, ehm 'problematic' but I'd say there is plenty of nuance. But ofcourse the show is from decades and decades ago and these kind of historic reflexes are no longer really a concern considering Japan's status as a geriatric country now.

The OST is also phenomenally chosen at just the right story moments with it's classical orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHn-EJtYwd8

Fieldy409:
You should probably read Berserk instead of watching one of its cheap anime adaptions.

What's wrong with the 97 adaption?

stroopwafel:

Samtemdo8:

Smithnikov:

Ehmm..not really it mostly points at the flaws of a democratic system that gives weak and incompetent leaders executive control over the military leading not to tactical but rather self-serving political decision making with all of it's pointless sacrifice and disastrous consequences.

The empire on the other hand has the military serve the autocratic nobles but they are so decadent and weak that they are slowly usurped by tactical genius Reinhard von Lohengramm. In strategy however the military has always set the course and so enabled Reinhard his successes unlike the genius on the other side, Yang Wenli, of the democratic alliance whose civilian leaders always maneuvered him in impossible positions.

It's an absolutely brilliant show that goes extremely in-depth about both political systems. Some say in light of Japan's problematic past the glorification of the military is somewhat, ehm 'problematic' but I'd say there is plenty of nuance. But ofcourse the show is from decades and decades ago and these kind of historic reflexes are no longer really a concern considering Japan's status as a geriatric country now.

The OST is also phenomenally chosen at just the right story moments with it's classical orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHn-EJtYwd8

I am actually more interested in reading the novels that the anime is adapted on since I think the Anime isn't too faithful to the source material. And I feel the story lends itself well in a novel format.

All the novels are about to be released in translated English by the end of the year. So I am planning on getting all of them.

Samtemdo8:

Fieldy409:

The adaptation is excellent but it skips a story arc and removes a core point from one of the biggest events (which to me made it not make sense but then I read the manga and it all made sense) which was probably too hardcore for tv at the time haha.

Basically the anime is amazing but the manga is contended for best manga ever, can't go wrong with either but if you wanna start somewhere the manga is the place to go.

Samtemdo8:

/pol/ rules the internet's cultural norms and are pretty close to taking root IRL. Don't give me that.

Smithnikov:

Samtemdo8:

/pol/ rules the internet's cultural norms and are pretty close to taking root IRL. Don't give me that.

Well I doubt people like my mother knows anything about 4chan when they use the internet.

And try to give Legends a chance if anything read the original novels that are coming out in english for the first time. I listened to an audiobook once and it was compelling.

My first exposure to this franchise was from here by Ezekiel.

Can wholly recommend Legend of the Galactic Heroes, it's definitely the smartest series on that list and absolutely worth it. But you'll definitely appreciate the subs that say a character's name whenever they appear for a while, because there are too many damn characters.

Samtemdo8:

Fieldy409:

Even the 97 one uses a lot of stills. It's pretty beloved so take what I say with a grain of salt but it still seems pretty cheap to me.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here