YouTube Picture-in-Picture Not Available Anymore on Android?

To explain, yesterday, I was able to open the YouTube app, play videos, and tap the home key to minimize the YouTube app to a small window of the screen allowing me use other apps while YT videos played. Today, it's not working. I tried looking it up, but there's no recent mention of any changes to the app and even the "Picture-in-Picture" toggle option within the app is gone. WTF? I lived by the feature! Anyone else experiencing this or know what's going on?

Xprimentyl:
To explain, yesterday, I was able to open the YouTube app, play videos, and tap the home key to minimize the YouTube app to a small window of the screen allowing me use other apps while YT videos played. Today, it?s not working. I tried looking it up, but there?s no recent mention of any changes to the app and even the ?Picture-in-Picture? toggle option within the app is gone. WTF? I lived by the feature! Anyone else experiencing this or know what?s going on?

I literally am doing it right now to test what you were saying. It's working fine for me.

I have not updated youtube, and my last phone update was two days ago.

I hate to sound like I'm from IT, but have you tried turning off youtube and turning it back on? And if that doesn't work, turning off your phone and then turning it back on?

Checking for you, my last update was october 29, 2019.

ObsidianJones:

Xprimentyl:
To explain, yesterday, I was able to open the YouTube app, play videos, and tap the home key to minimize the YouTube app to a small window of the screen allowing me use other apps while YT videos played. Today, it?s not working. I tried looking it up, but there?s no recent mention of any changes to the app and even the ?Picture-in-Picture? toggle option within the app is gone. WTF? I lived by the feature! Anyone else experiencing this or know what?s going on?

I literally am doing it right now to test what you were saying. It's working fine for me.

I have not updated youtube, and my last phone update was two days ago.

I hate to sound like I'm from IT, but have you tried turning off youtube and turning it back on? And if that doesn't work, turning off your phone and then turning it back on?

Checking for you, my last update was october 29, 2019.

Yes, I've done both, force stopped the app and restarted early today; might try again now. And like you, my most recent updated is October 29th, so we should have the same version. Weird...

It concerns me because my Google research shows the PIP option was initially intended to be a premium subscription option, and was only relatively recently made available for free users in the US; I feared they reneged, but you've given me hope it's an isolated issue with my [apparently] janky-ass phone.

Nope, still not working. >:{

Xprimentyl:
Yes, I?ve done both, force stopped the app and restarted early today; might try again now. And like you, my most recent updated is October 29th, so we should have the same version. Weird?

It concerns me because my Google research shows the PIP option was initially intended to be a premium subscription option, and was only relatively recently made available for free users in the US; I feared they reneged, but you?ve given me hope it?s an isolated issue with my [apparently] janky-ass phone.

Your last line made me think that I didn't add that info. I have a samsung s10 plus. That might factor in.

I was gonna say its working for me, but I am a premium subscriber (and not in your country) so I guess the rules are different? I will say though it could be a bug. I also updated on the 29th, and since then Youtube has been crashing on me at about a 40% rate when I use some of the premo options (play with screen off, use picture in picture, download). Its mildly frustrating to say the least - I'm fundamentally opposed to spending money on anything ever, so I can be fairly entitled the instant I commit a subscription dollar to anything.

ObsidianJones:

Xprimentyl:
Yes, I?ve done both, force stopped the app and restarted early today; might try again now. And like you, my most recent updated is October 29th, so we should have the same version. Weird?

It concerns me because my Google research shows the PIP option was initially intended to be a premium subscription option, and was only relatively recently made available for free users in the US; I feared they reneged, but you?ve given me hope it?s an isolated issue with my [apparently] janky-ass phone.

Your last line made me think that I didn't add that info. I have a samsung s10 plus. That might factor in.

"I have a samsung s10 plus." *In my snooty, mocking voice*

Well, I've but a lowly Samsung Note 9, m'lord; haven't evolved to the double digits and no fancy mathematical symbols for me. But seriously, my phone is less than a year old and works perfectly.

EvilRoy:
I was gonna say its working for me, but I am a premium subscriber (and not in your country) so I guess the rules are different? I will say though it could be a bug. I also updated on the 29th, and since then Youtube has been crashing on me at about a 40% rate when I use some of the premo options (play with screen off, use picture in picture, download). Its mildly frustrating to say the least - I'm fundamentally opposed to spending money on anything ever, so I can be fairly entitled the instant I commit a subscription dollar to anything.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's a bug, but it's weird the option is no longer in the app itself...

Xprimentyl:
?I have a samsung s10 plus.? *In my snooty, mocking voice*

Well, I?ve but a lowly Samsung Note 9, m?lord; haven?t evolved to the double digits and no fancy mathematical symbols for me. But seriously, my phone is less than a year old and works perfectly.

Sir, I may be a gentleman, but I certainly know how to Ball with the Big Dogs.

Hate time is over. But look, It's Celebrate O'Clock :-D

Xprimentyl:
Snip

Late to the party here, but could the video you were watching be categorized as "music" in any way? Because picture-in-picture is not available for music videos, song uploads, etc. on youtube unless you have the premium subscription. They know that's a key function people really want so they stashed it behind their paywall.

JUMBO PALACE:

Xprimentyl:
Snip

Late to the party here, but could the video you were watching be categorized as "music" in any way? Because picture-in-picture is not available for music videos, song uploads, etc. on youtube unless you have the premium subscription. They know that's a key function people really want so they stashed it behind their paywall.

Yeah, I knew about the music thing, but no, no videos at all are going into PIP anymore, and there's no mention anywhere on the internet of this recent development. Really frustrating...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here