So... is Baby Yoda a M/Gary Sue

Pages PREV 1 2

Well, Mary/Gary Sue/Stue isn't simply about power levels, although it can be an indicator.
Another big indicator is they have a tendency to undercut canon characters, that is be better, faster, stronger, etc (queue Daft Punk), prettier than the OG characters. Maybe a love interest to one of the canon characters, maybe not (wish fulfillment department). But another major part is that the M/Gary is always right/ everyone except the Malfoys of the world agree with said character. And then the Malfoys are put in their place, obviously. There is more and not every M/Gary will have every characteristic, but lil Yoda's lack of dialogue makes it harder to have the fawning aspect surrounding most M/Garys. Lil Yoda can come to wrong conclusions (choking out the strike trooper during a friendly arm wrestle) which makes me lean towards not M/Gary.

However, I'm not super psyched out all the force powers lil Yoda is exhibiting so soon, but it's very hard to quibble because he's so darn cute. If this was a six-year old kid running around and spouting off, he wouldn't be nearly so adorable and would probably be roundly hated. I see what Disney is doing- their dark magic of making cute and cuddly animals has been concentrated and perfected- lil Yoda is their final form. I know what they doing, but I cannot resist, I... must.... submit. I accept. You win Disney. Baby Yoda is adorable and my mind thinks no longer.

trunkage:
Actual serious question. Why is everyone so worried about terms being used so much they are useless? (As some other example of terms wearing out their use {apparently} sexist and racist)

That's sort of a secondary concern: languages change all the time. My main one is the use of terms in a manner sufficiently loose that other people don't readily understand.

Part of my objection is that we seem to have an incredibly rapid turnover of terms these days. They exist, morph vastly in a few years and die. But the point of semantics is for communication: what does it do for communication when terms get abruptly created, evolve at breakneck pace with insecure and variable meaning (often among only limited demographic groups), and disappear?

To me, it's just a recipe to dimish our ability to communicate with each other, to end up bogged down in semantic confusion and even linguistic segregation. Sometimes we have simply decreased ability to impart meaning, because we've blown up a perfectly good term to define a specific concept.

I think also there can be an element of laziness to it: we know a term is a pejorative, so we throw that prejudicial pejorative at something we don't like to poison the well before the discussion even starts: "nazi", "SJW", etc.

I'm just saddened by the Force being overplayed in Star Wars in general. The Mandalorian was initially interesting to me because it promised a series focused away from the CONSTANT Jedi drama and dealing with people who can't macguffin their way out of every situation. And then it immediately pivots to exactly that, except worse because it doesn't seem intent on examining the effects surrounding the circumstances of having a young force user buddying around with a bounty hunter from a war-like people.

irishda:
I'm just saddened by the Force being overplayed in Star Wars in general. The Mandalorian was initially interesting to me because it promised a series focused away from the CONSTANT Jedi drama and dealing with people who can't macguffin their way out of every situation. And then it immediately pivots to exactly that, except worse because it doesn't seem intent on examining the effects surrounding the circumstances of having a young force user buddying around with a bounty hunter from a war-like people.

That reminds me how the first Star Wars: Dark Forces game had nothing to do with the Force (it was simply a cool Doom-clone Star Wars FPS); but in the sequel the protagonist awakens his Jedi powers.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here