Academy Award/Oscar Nominations 2020

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Welp, that time of year again. The time for the awards shows that Hollywood loves. I'll leave each category in spoilers, for the sake of space, then give my thoughts overall. The parentheses next to each entry is to help keep track of how many awards each film is nominated for.

Well, after all that, I have just a few comments to make. First off, while I quite liked the movie personally, I'm shocked that Joker was the most nominated movie, with 11 potential awards. As for snubs, I was quite surprised that Taron Egerton was not nominated for Best Actor for his role in Rocketman. Hell, that movie went basically ignored, with 1 nomination for "Original Song".

On the positive side, it's nice to see Tarantino finally get recognition as a filmmaker from the Academy, and Joe Pesci chose the right movie to come out of retirement for.

Too White, Too Male.

McElroy:
Too White, Too Male.

That too. The only non-white nomination was Cynthia Arvo as Harriet Tubman. Says it all, really.

Very excited to see Joker get so many nominations. Good work getting properly rewarded is always a sight to behold.

It's not even a typical "oscar bait" type film either. It was just really good and surprisingly successful despite the efforts of vocal critics to brand it negative things. (I remember some ridiculous people trying to claim it'd cause mass shootings shortly before it premiered, I bet they're livid right now haha)

thebobmaster:

McElroy:
Too White, Too Male.

That too. The only non-white nomination was Cynthia Arvo as Harriet Tubman. Says it all, really.

Joker speaks to the plight of the downtrodden across races, it's no accident that people in Chile (who are not white) were inspired by this movie and went on protests in Joker facepaint while they fought for their civil rights and quality of life.

It's so unbelievably irrelevant to those people whether he himself is Hispanic or not, he still shows you how much people are suffering. The only one who'd actually mind that he's white and not bother focusing on what he's actually going through (and have what he's going through make his race insignificant in their eyes) is someone who can't empathize with the feelings of someone who is actually downtrodden like the people in Chile.

thebobmaster:
Welp, that time of year again. The time for the awards shows that Hollywood loves. I'll leave each category in spoilers, for the sake of space, then give my thoughts overall. The parentheses next to each entry is to help keep track of how many awards each film is nominated for.

Well, after all that, I have just a few comments to make. First off, while I quite liked the movie personally, I'm shocked that Joker was the most nominated movie, with 11 potential awards. As for snubs, I was quite surprised that Taron Egerton was not nominated for Best Actor for his role in Rocketman. Hell, that movie went basically ignored, with 1 nomination for "Original Song".

On the positive side, it's nice to see Tarantino finally get recognition as a filmmaker from the Academy, and Joe Pesci chose the right movie to come out of retirement for.

I'm not fully aware of the rules about submission for Academy consideration, but I think if Disney were gonna submit a song from Frozen II for it, it should have been "Show Yourself".

Dreiko:
Very excited to see Joker get so many nominations. Good work getting properly rewarded is always a sight to behold.

It's not even a typical "oscar bait" type film either. It was just really good and surprisingly successful despite the efforts of vocal critics to brand it negative things. (I remember some ridiculous people trying to claim it'd cause mass shootings shortly before it premiered, I bet they're livid right now haha)

thebobmaster:

McElroy:
Too White, Too Male.

Joker speaks to the plight of the downtrodden across races, it's no accident that people in Chile (who are not white) were inspired by this movie and went on protests in Joker facepaint while they fought for their civil rights and quality of life.

It's so unbelievably irrelevant to those people whether he himself is Hispanic or not, he still shows you how much people are suffering. The only one who'd actually mind that he's white and not bother focusing on what he's actually going through (and have what he's going through make his race insignificant in their eyes) is someone who can't empathize with the feelings of someone who is actually downtrodden like the people in Chile.

In so much that that is a very positive outcome, as icons to attach yourself to that seems like Joker is another in a long list of protagonists about whom the point was vastly missed. See also V, Tyler Durden, Walter White and the entire cast of Sons of Anarchy.

thebobmaster:

McElroy:
Too White, Too Male.

Did you both somehow miss Bong Joon-ho (Parasite) for Best Director/Best Picture, or does it not count?

Also I enjoyed Parasite more than any of the other nominees I've seen, so it would be my pick for Best Picture. It's not going to win tho, on account of not being the kind of movie the academy (aka old rich white men) can identify with.

It wasn't a great year for movies so the Best Picture nominations are what you'd expect. Joker, in my opinion, deserves the nomination about as much or as little as Black Panther did. I wasn't crazy for it, outside of Phoenix's genuinely amazing lead performance, but it didn't speak to me emotionally the way it seemed to a lot of other people. It had a lot of Pathos but the writing didn't really keep up with it. The dialogue went out of its way to spell out things the visuals communicated just fine. Again, to me it feels like Black Panther being nominated, an attempt to throw a bone to the general audience by nominating a comic book movie.

Anyway, my favourite is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's very much a "Hollywood celebrating itself" movie which the Academy generally seems to like so I think it has a decent chance.

Chimpzy:

thebobmaster:

McElroy:
Too White, Too Male.

Did you both somehow miss Bong Joon-ho (Parasite) for Best Director/Best Picture, or does it not count?

Also I enjoyed Parasite more than any of the other nominees I've seen, so it would be my pick for Best Picture. It's not going to win tho, on account of not being the kind of movie the academy (aka old rich white men) can identify with.

I meant as a whole. I also wanted that the first comment is just a few words of dry sarcasm. Success.

Also it's Mister Bong, not miss...

Chimpzy:

thebobmaster:

McElroy:
Too White, Too Male.

...I feel bad that I did indeed overlook Bong Joon-ho. It still doesn't detract from the overall point of how skewed the demographics are, but when I say someone was the ONLY non-white nomination, and I overlook the other non-white nomination, it kind of makes me look like an idiot.

I?ve seen people upset that Joker got any nominations and I?m laughing. I guarantee the controversy with people hoping there?d be a shooting and expecting it to be a call to arms for the dreaded white male incels to kill everyone who isn?t a white male gave the people at the Academy an excuse to shower it with noms cause outrage articles keep them relevant.

However, this is the best Animated category I?ve seen in awhile. Missing Link already won with the GG, Klaus got nominated and that?s a great new holiday classic.

McElroy:
Too White, Too Male.

Italian Americans ain't WASP.

Samtemdo8:

McElroy:
Too White, Too Male.

Still white tho. Or is someone who isn't Anglo-Saxon descended and protestant not white enough?

Chimpzy:

Samtemdo8:

McElroy:
Too White, Too Male.

Still white tho. Or is someone who isn't Anglo-Saxon descended and protestant not white enough?

By that standard I think yes.

Samtemdo8:

Chimpzy:

Samtemdo8:

By that standard I think yes.

Well, that certainly is super dumb. Who the fuck thought of that delineation of what constitutes "real" whiteness?

Was it white supremacists? Cuz it sounds like something those morons would conjure up to create even more of an "us vs them" mindset for themselves.

Chimpzy:
Well, that certainly is super dumb. Who the fuck thought of that delineation of what constitutes "real" whiteness?

Was it white supremacists? Cuz it sounds like something those morons would conjure up to create even more of an "us vs them" mindset for themselves.

White supremacists are particularly notable for their exacting definitions of whiteness. Usually it starts at North European (i.e. Scandinavia / Germany / British Isles), because Southern Europeans have darker skin which surely puts them one step closer to the untermensch, and the Slavs have pale skin but migrated into Europe from an Asia-type direction back in the day so they go down a rung too [1].

[1] Of course we all came out of Africa originally, but that gets conveniently overlooked

Agema:
White supremacists are particularly notable for their exacting definitions of whiteness. Usually it starts at North European (i.e. Scandinavia / Germany / British Isles), because Southern Europeans have darker skin which surely puts them one step closer to the untermensch, and the Slavs have pale skin but migrated into Europe from an Asia-type direction back in the day so they go down a rung too.

Yes, I know. Like I said, stupid.

You could tell that Joker was an Oscar bait from the very first trailer. I didn't love the movie, but I didn't hate it either. It's not bad, but it's not anything spectacular that most people make it out to be. I kinda agree with MovieBob's assessment, actually. I didn't buy the plot. If they'd set the time period forward to early 2000's, it would have made a lot more sense. And the Joker should have been younger. Otherwise, he's going to be fighting Batman in his 60's or something, which is one of my main gripes, believe it or not.

Other than that, that's a nice list. People are going on and on about the fact that it's mostly white men again, but have you considered the fact that the nominated movies really are the best movies of the year? Because they pretty much are.

Joker deserves all those categories. Masterpiece.

Adam Jensen:
You could tell that Joker was an Oscar bait from the very first trailer. I didn't love the movie, but I didn't hate it either. It's not bad, but it's not anything spectacular that most people make it out to be. I kinda agree with MovieBob's assessment, actually. I didn't buy the plot. If they'd set the time period forward to early 2000's, it would have made a lot more sense. And the Joker should have been younger. Otherwise, he's going to be fighting Batman in his 60's or something, which is one of my main gripes, believe it or not.

Other than that, that's a nice list. People are going on and on about the fact that it's mostly white men again, but have you considered the fact that the nominated movies really are the best movies of the year? Because they pretty much are.

Amazing that you could get anything out of the incoherent mess that's Bob's take on Joker.

Also, yeah, a lot of racist people here that seem to think that by being white you're less worthy of awards.

Specter Von Baren:

Also, yeah, a lot of racist people here that seem to think that by being white you're less worthy of awards.

Well, duh. White people giving awards to white people. Seen it already.

Just watch them overcompensate next year.

Adam Jensen:

Don't know if I'd call it Oscar bait, but it was certainly desperate in trying to appear profound and meaningful. It's up there with Sucker Punch, where the director is seriously punching above their weight. That dramatic bathroom dance scene was bordering on parody.

PsychedelicDiamond:
Anyway, my favourite is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's very much a "Hollywood celebrating itself" movie which the Academy generally seems to like so I think it has a decent chance.

Last night, I watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and posted thoughts on it today in the "Last Movie You Watched" thread. Do me a favor and read my post and tell me what I missed; I thought this film was awful. It had all the makings of and potential for a great film, but it failed across the board in my humble opinion, and while I couldn't care less about Oscars, I'm am absolutely astounded it's been nominated for as many as it has been. Best Actor/Supporting Actor, fine; DiCaprio and Pitt did a great job, but what they were asked to do and the context in which they were asked to do it was a bland, boring mess. Best Picture?? Get the hell out of here...

McElroy:

Specter Von Baren:

Imagine not focusing on the race and just seeing good movies getting awards cause they're just good movies and nothing more.

This is a very American perspective, too, since this is all still Hollywood films for the most part (outside of like, the foreign categories and that one random Korean film). Growing up in Europe I always saw the nation first, so whether you had black or white Hollywood actors, it was all the same cause it's all still American actors in American movies.

Should I just not care by this point cause it's just "Americans giving award to Americans"? Does that make sense to you? Cause this is basically what you're doing here lol.

Question.

Has anybody ever proposed with any seriousness the creation of a Best Black Actor/Actress category, if their absence is so aggravating? As it is they're already segregating the acting awards by gender. Why not race as well, if this is about a quota?

On another note, isn't it entirely possible that, clocking a little over 12% of the US population, every now and then we get a year where there aren't *that* many performances by black actors worth nominating in an industry that is predominantly owned and populated by white people?

And by the way as a Latino I don't give a shit that Banderas is nominated. Or that Roma won (last year?). I'm just here for the movies man. I don't care where they come from or what skin color are the nominees. Banderas was good in the Almodovar movie. Roma was pretentious tripe.

Johnny Novgorod:
Question.

Has anybody ever proposed with any seriousness the creation of a Best Black Actor/Actress category, if their absence is so aggravating? As it is they're already segregating the acting awards by gender. Why not race as well, if this is about a quota?

I haven't seen it, but I could certainly see that being a thing.

Johnny Novgorod:
Question.

On another note, isn't it entirely possible that, clocking a little over 12% of the US population, every now and then we get a year where there aren't *that* many performances by black actors worth nominating in an industry that is predominantly owned and populated by white people?

And by the way as a Latino I don't give a shit that Banderas is nominated. Or that Roma won (last year?). I'm just here for the movies man. I don't care where they come from or what skin color are the nominees. Banderas was good in the Almodovar movie. Roma was pretentious tripe.

It doesn't make sense to do that because while genders are actually different from eachother, races are equal so it'd be like saying black men are not the same as white men which is anti-equality if you had a specific black category.

And yeah if it's a movie I don't like I don't care if it wins something, even if it has a man or a greek dude in it, and there's way fewer winners of that group than there are black ones (never mind american ones) yet I somehow I don't mind it one bit lol.

Dreiko:

Johnny Novgorod:
Question.

It doesn't make sense to do that because while genders are actually different from eachother, races are equal so it'd be like saying black men are not the same as white men which is anti-equality if you had a specific black category.

And yeah if it's a movie I don't like I don't care if it wins something, even if it has a man or a greek dude in it, and there's way fewer winners of that group than there are black ones (never mind american ones) yet I somehow I don't mind it one bit lol.

This really is just an American qualm, but then the ceremony is also American, meant to reward American movies (foreign category nods aside). I'm pretty sure nobody else around the globe cares about the racial bouquet of the nominees.

I wish they'd just accept the odds that they're probably not going to have a perfectly multiracial ballot in EVERY category EVERY year in a country that is three-quarters WASP, and reward people for their technical and artistic proficiency without giving two shits about their skin color.

Johnny Novgorod:

Dreiko:

Johnny Novgorod:
Question.

This really is just an American qualm, but then the ceremony is also American, meant to reward American movies (foreign category nods aside). I'm pretty sure nobody else around the globe cares about the racial bouquet of the nominees.

I wish they'd just accept the odds that they're probably not going to have a perfectly multiracial ballot in EVERY category EVERY year in a country that is three-quarters WASP, and reward people for their technical and artistic proficiency without giving two shits about their skin color.

Yeah but you have easily enough dual citizens or foreign national residents in America that you could theoretically apply to them the same consideration you'd give other groups. There's definitely more of em than there are trans people for one.

It's just this huge blind-spot with the intersectional approach where it arbitrarily deems equally insignificant arbitrary personal characteristics people can have as being of differing significance for the benefit of the speaker and due to no actual merit therein. I say just ignore all that noise in its totality.

I'm happy Scarlett Johansson is nominated in both acting categories. I wouldn't call myself a fan of her but I feel like people have been shitting on her for ages when I always thought she was a pretty decent actress.

Also, I hope Joker gets all 654 oscars. I haven't seen it, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine to watch disproportionate reactions online.

Johnny Novgorod:
Question.

They should just expand the number of nominees from 5 to 10. I'm pretty sure the "best movie" category used to be limited to 5 movies in the past.

Dreiko:

McElroy:

Specter Von Baren:

Imagine not focusing on the race and just seeing good movies getting awards cause they're just good movies and nothing more.

This is a very American perspective, too, since this is all still Hollywood films for the most part (outside of like, the foreign categories and that one random Korean film). Growing up in Europe I always saw the nation first, so whether you had black or white Hollywood actors, it was all the same cause it's all still American actors in American movies.

Should I just not care by this point cause it's just "Americans giving award to Americans"? Does that make sense to you? Cause this is basically what you're doing here lol.

The political fucking about is the most entertaining part of the Oscars. Of almost any award show when you think about it.

Johnny Novgorod:

The answer is racism. You see, the movies must have diverse casts and production teams so when the diverse audience watches them they feel they are included.

Wintermute:
Also, I hope Joker gets all 654 oscars. I haven't seen it, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine to watch disproportionate reactions online.

Exactly. The more you shake up those old sponges the better. The louder the groaning of the media the better. Controversy for the win.

No surprise about Joker. Not that its good in the least, just that the usual suspects would cry 'HOLLYWOOD CUCKS SOY LIBERAL BETAS HATE REAL MEN STORIES ABOUT REAL MEN' all over the place if Joker didn't get the most nominations.
And guaranteed if it doesn't win ALL its nominations, 'HOLLYWOOD CUCKS SOY LIBERAL BETAS HATE REAL MEN STORIES ABOUT REAL MEN'

Wintermute:
I'm happy Scarlett Johansson is nominated in both acting categories. I wouldn't call myself a fan of her but I feel like people have been shitting on her for ages when I always thought she was a pretty decent actress.

Johnny Novgorod:
Question.

They should just expand the number of nominees from 5 to 10. I'm pretty sure the "best movie" category used to be limited to 5 movies in the past.

Not a bad idea.

Johnny Novgorod:
Question.

The Academy Awards is the ceremony where the US film industry celebrates itself so it's good for it's own image if it actually promotes the work of minority actors. (As for the demographics, the US is about 75% white, so your chances of picking ten white Americans at random from the whole population are 0.75?⁰, which is about 5.6%, so a highly unlikely but not negligibly unlikely outcome)

Banderas is from Andalusia so he doesn't really count as a Latino.

09philj:

Johnny Novgorod:
Question.

The Academy Awards is the ceremony where the US film industry celebrates itself so it's good for it's own image if it actually promotes the work of minority actors. (As for the demographics, the US is about 75% white, so your chances of picking ten white Americans at random from the whole population are 0.75?⁰, which is about 5.6%, so a highly unlikely but not negligibly unlikely outcome)

Banderas is from Andalusia so he doesn't really count as a Latino.

"Hispanic" is the word I was going for.

Silentpony:
No surprise about Joker. Not that its good in the least, just that the usual suspects would cry 'HOLLYWOOD CUCKS SOY LIBERAL BETAS HATE REAL MEN STORIES ABOUT REAL MEN' all over the place if Joker didn't get the most nominations.
And guaranteed if it doesn't win ALL its nominations, 'HOLLYWOOD CUCKS SOY LIBERAL BETAS HATE REAL MEN STORIES ABOUT REAL MEN'

An argument you could probably silence in about three seconds by pointing to both 1917 and Ford vs. Ferrari. I mean, I get that there are things in life that blow chunks and I don't mind a movie being made about it, even a bad one. But having the fucking Joker as your mouthpiece of societal ills just seems....self-defeating.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.