Poll: How many active users are left on the Escapist? (Mod Edit: V2 forums are coming in 2-3 weeks)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Please keep in mind you're referring to a current content contributor of the site. Constructive criticism is fine, insulting and derogatory labels are not.

Steer this thread back on topic, please.

Silentpony:

Martintox:

Silentpony:
Not us, the site. Remember you had to pay to get into the WW. It was behind a subscription wall

Oh, you mean the fact that you needed a Publisher's Club membership? Everyone on the website got a membership for free, dude. What, are you telling me you didn't get one or something?

No I didn't get one. I only got one years later when the site was going to new owners and I just asked for it

So you just jelly you never got into the WW then?

bluegate:
SNIP

No I legitimately didn't know the WW was a thing until after I got access to it - it never showed up on the dropdown list and no one was allowed to mention it outside of the WW. To average users they had no knowledge of it. And I couldn't believe baby's first 4chan was behind a subscription wall.

bluegate:

Looks like a hedgehog crossed with Ron Pearlman.

Silentpony:

bluegate:
SNIP

No I legitimately didn't know the WW was a thing until after I got access to it - it never showed up on the dropdown list and no one was allowed to mention it outside of the WW. To average users they had no knowledge of it. And I couldn't believe baby's first 4chan was behind a subscription wall.

Makes you wonder how it was supposed to be a "money-grabbing" then, eh? 🤷‍♂️

bluegate:

Silentpony:

bluegate:
SNIP

Because it was behind a paywall. You paid to not have the rules apply

I wouldn't call me active but I'm around sometimes. Lurking and such.

Silentpony:

bluegate:

Silentpony:

How were you supposed to know to pay up if you weren't already in?

Sounds like the worst money grabbing scheme ever.

IceForce:
*Well, not quite everyone. That persistent banjumper we had at the time didn't get it (remember him?). And therefore he was locked out of the WW, which ended up being the only 'safe' place on the site where you could get away from him.
He left shortly after. (Was the real purpose of the Wild West to make the banjumper go away, all along?)

It took that long to get rid of him?! I remember him being a massive issue when I first left in like 2016. WW was like 2018 right?

Elfgore:

IceForce:
*Well, not quite everyone. That persistent banjumper we had at the time didn't get it (remember him?). And therefore he was locked out of the WW, which ended up being the only 'safe' place on the site where you could get away from him.
He left shortly after. (Was the real purpose of the Wild West to make the banjumper go away, all along?)

It took that long to get rid of him?! I remember him being a massive issue when I first left in like 2016. WW was like 2018 right?

WW was 2016 since that was when the election and people were making political threads on WW.

SupahEwok:

Silentpony:

bluegate:

Took the words out of my mouth, furry critter.

How does one sell a product people don't know about and aren't allowed to talk about 🧐🤔

Although I personally can't remember a rule or directive about not talking about it.

bluegate:

SupahEwok:

Silentpony:

Took the words out of my mouth, furry critter.

Excuse you, sir.

We prefer "hirsute gentlemen of compact stature."

With the "Money Grab" of Wild West, that happened right around when the huge ownership shake up was happening. Presumably it would have been a money grab and advertised and whatnot but basically WW was implemented RIGHT as everything crumbled and fell apart. Then Kross basically just gifted everyone PubClub but no one in management was either around at the time (or maybe at that time they were just abandoning the ship so couldn't be bothered to do anything about it).

bluegate:

Although I personally can't remember a rule or directive about not talking about it.

There definitely wasn't. I brought the forum up on a number of occasions in Off-Topic.

Hi. I'm checking in for the first time in a while. Not much has changed, though.

CrazyGirl17:
Hi. I'm checking in for the first time in a while. Not much has changed, though.

I mean I assume you're on lockdown like the rest of the world right?

Lurk, lurk, lurk lurk.

*lights come on*

"Crap! I've been spotted! Cheese it!"

Hey all,

Since this thread is pretty active, figured I'd post this update here. After a very long wait, much longer than I had anticipated, the new forums are finally coming together and we we expect to launch them in the next two to three weeks.

This isn't a wishful date either, I'm working on the new forums with tech as we speak to get them ready. They're already up and running, we just gotta get everything prepped on the tech side and we're good.

It's all on modern software and I'm really excited to get them going, but there is a few caveats to getting those new forums started.

1. We ARE going to attempt to migrate things from here over to the new forums, but it will not happen at launch. The software these were built on is very old at this point, and we also have to be VERY careful with the transition to not affect Google rankings. When the site was moved from V1 (this site) to V2, we took a huge hit from that, so this isn't something we can rush.

2. This forum will stay ONLINE and it won't be nuked or anything like that. It will act as an archive until we figure out how we can safely migrate everything over.

3. When you create an account on the new forums, users from this forum will receive a "Legacy" badge. I know it's not the same as having your whole history come with you, but for now it's something.

I personally apologize for how long it has taken to get this done, just lots of projects going on at Enthusiast Gaming (our parent company). My lack of communication is also down to just how busy we've been on the site! We're actually doing quite well and growing, and are even introducing a couple new shows very soon along with our feature-length Darkest Dungeon documentary.

I noticed quite a few comments indicating that we "look down" on this community, but that really isn't the case. I've had my hands tied on getting these forums ready and have been pushing for months to get it done cause I wanna get you all over there and have an active community again.

Anyways, they're finally just about here and I'm looking forward to interacting with you guys more regularly on the updated forums.

I'll look into starting to invite longtime users from here in the next week or so to start testing the forums and providing feedback on things we can add / improve.

Look for that update in the Site Announcements thread on the main forum page.

Thanks all,

Nick
Editor-in-Chief

Ooh. A little anxious about change, but. A...clean history? A new life? A different name?? Without having to testify against the mafia??? I'll take it!

Nick Calandra:
Since this thread is pretty active, figured I'd post this update here. After a very long wait, much longer than I had anticipated, the new forums are finally coming together and we we expect to launch them in the next two to three weeks.

3. When you create an account on the new forums, users from this forum will receive a "Legacy" badge. I know it's not the same as having your whole history come with you, but for now it's something.

Shiny new toys incoming? Yay!

Nick Calandra:
the new forums are finally coming together and we we expect to launch them in the next two to three weeks.

Is coronavirus going to be delaying this at all? It seems to be delaying everything else...

IceForce:

Nick Calandra:
the new forums are finally coming together and we we expect to launch them in the next two to three weeks.

Is coronavirus going to be delaying this at all? It seems to be delaying everything else...

No, it's actually helped to get this done quicker ironically because other things have been delayed. I wouldn't have posted about it if I didn't have a timeline for getting it live.

Neurotic Void Melody:
Ooh. A little anxious about change, but. A...clean history? A new life? A different name?? Without having to testify against the mafia??? I'll take it!

Really won't be much change. We're keeping the same structure from here, same mods, same rules etc, just a fresh coat of paint and modern software that doesn't suck on mobile. We're testing it now and it's buttery smooth.

It's still one of my auto opening tabs when I open Chrome, though I don't really use it even 1/4 as often as I open Chrome anyway. It's just kind of a tab that's there. I just don't have a whole lot to add to most discussions that either hasn't already been said, or is just more of my bland, sometimes pointlessly stupid additions.

Not really. I've moved on to Space Battles. Sometimes I see Zhukov there. Things actually happen there.

I've recently started posting more on Reddit, but I still come here pretty often. The discussions tend to be better here. Mostly, I just like the people who upload photos there, r/itookapicture and etc.

If there is something interesting, I'll barge in.

Nick Calandra:

Really won't be much change. We're keeping the same structure from here, same mods, same rules etc, just a fresh coat of paint and modern software that doesn't suck on mobile. We're testing it now and it's buttery smooth.

A piece of good news in these forsaken times.

Looking forward to escapist 2.0

Marik2:
Looking forward to escapist 2.0

+1

erttheking:
Not really. I?ve moved on to Space Battles. Sometimes I see Zhukov there. Things actually happen there.

Missed you man. If I'm not on here, than I am usually on the DMC forums or Easy Allies Forums (under different user names). I thought about Space Battles, but I lost interests. I might reconsider, just to talk to you. You've been okay?

Oh Im still poking my head in the forums ocassionally if anybody remembers me lol.

Nick Calandra:
Look for that update in the Site Announcements thread on the main forum page.

Thanks all,

Nick
Editor-in-Chief

Cheers dude, thanks for the heads up.

I'm in lock down! Of course I'd come by.

I'll try Gab thanks for the referral. There's Minds.com too.

http://politicalforum.com/index.php is pretty good for politics.

Hard to spend too much time here as notice that someone replied is not working here. Or works very sporadically.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here