Plans for the Covid 19 Lockdown

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

TopazFusion:
Not gonna lie, I'm actually pretty annoyed. I live in (what should be) probably the safest country in the world for this kinda thing (New Zealand). And yet, inaction and pussyfooting by our incompetent government has led to the virus being let in and taking a foothold.

Ah, just Ardern up. :P

Hawki:

TopazFusion:
Not gonna lie, I'm actually pretty annoyed. I live in (what should be) probably the safest country in the world for this kinda thing (New Zealand). And yet, inaction and pussyfooting by our incompetent government has led to the virus being let in and taking a foothold.

lol, okay that was terrible.

Speaking of, we're supposed to be having an election later this year. Dunno if that's going ahead now...

I work in a grocery store so my plans consist of going to work, bitching about stupid/rude customers and hoping I don't catch the virus .

Work from home which I prefer anyway so it's fine. Have to ofcourse also take trip to grocery store and plan optimal route to retrieve that last roll of toilet paper and reach extraction point before other people who can't wipe their ass start closing in on the two meter social distancing gap and accidentally sneeze. It's like.... xD

TopazFusion:

Hawki:

TopazFusion:

lol, okay that was terrible.

Speaking of, we're supposed to be having an election later this year. Dunno if that's going ahead now...

Why not? It's clear our current administration is incompetent in face of a crisis(and generally the rest of the time). If you can't eject such people now, when can you do it?

I'm honestly struggling to enjoy games and films at the moment because of everything going on. Just been playing the guitar really.

TopazFusion:

So now it feels like I'm stuck in a bad doomsday movie that never seems to end.

Similar pattern all over. Most countries got plenty of advance warning, but didn't/don't go hard in dealing with the problem until it's biting them in the face. Shutting China down worked in China, we are going to have to do that sort of thing all over, the later we leave it the worse it'll be, but there's not zombies running round or people with wheelbarrows crying "Bring out your dead" so it's business as usual with less toilet paper.

I bet those doomsday preppers are feeling pretty smug right about now. With their underground bunkers and their unperishables, and their stockpiles of loo roll.

So we've gone to mandatory work form home where I am, with only major retailers operating at reduced hours. Aaaaand I still have to do my job because the world of building shit never takes a day off. So now I commute 30 mins each way every time something needs to be looked at. Sometimes multiple times a day.

The silver lining is that I've never had an easier time with traffic accommodation. No joke, our productivity is off the hook since the public isn't constantly getting in the way. Which of course means more paperwork, which means that in addition to my inspection duties I'm now up to my ass in administrative duties. I can't complain, a lot of people are just without work right now, but it is the most perplexing feeling I've ever experienced to be driving down a completely empty street thinking to myself "ah jesus christ I left too late and now I'm gonna get there like a minute before go time", and rushing past streets sparsely populated by people with nothing to do.

It feels like the apocalypse happened, but for some reason taxes are still due and I'm the last accountant trying to get it all filed for the remaining populace.

Crushing it at Satisfactory though. I have truly destroyed the countryside of a once beautiful alien world. Banks of 10-20 coal plants powering my endless array of modular frame assemblers. Probably gonna get going on Watchdogs in the next few days too.

OK, well I was going to contribute to the thread, but OP seems only interested in what's happening in the U.S, so there goes that idea.

Thaluikhain:
Shutting China down worked in China

Sure did. Suddenly no one's sick anymore. It's a miracle! Back to eating raw infected bats and armadillo's with 103F fevers. Yummmmm. Don't forget the face mask though that wet piece of saliva stained cloth surely keeps the virus out.

EvilRoy:
it is the most perplexing feeling I've ever experienced to be driving down a completely empty street thinking to myself "ah jesus christ I left too late and now I'm gonna get there like a minute before go time", and rushing past streets sparsely populated by people with nothing to do.

The air is also cleaner than ever. :p Normally my stress level skyrockets from all the people and traffic but now nothing but tranquility and deserted streets. Death does not come with fanfare and bombast, it comes gentle like the night on a beautiful spring afternoon. xD

The people you do see you can almost sense their fear. It made me think though pestilence and death has been mankind's eternal companion. In the past people turned to the Gods and prayer and when those weren't heard people turned to science pretending to be above nature and when they had no answers people turned to toilet paper and when that ran out people would eagerly let themselves be locked in their homes by authoritarian leadership and let police patrol the streets for their own good instead of maintaining one's own responsibility to keep proper distance and prioritize hygiene and not relinquish all autonomy to the ruler.

They say plague exposes the truth of society that remains hidden under frivolity and pretense. Like that truck drivers and nurses are more important than bankers and stock brokers. But one can also conclude a thousand years of 'progress' have not changed one iota how submissive we are to the powers that be with freedom surrendered at the first sign of trouble.

I wonder what will happen when the Corona virus mutates or when antibiotic resistant bacteria start to wreak havoc on public health. Another time bomb scientists have been warning about for years. Society is a house of cards. Kept intact by the false promise of safety and undone by the ingrained human rejection of insecurity.

IceForce:
I bet those doomsday preppers are feeling pretty smug right about now. With their underground bunkers and their unperishables, and their stockpiles of loo roll.

ha ha the Joe rogan podcast had on today a navy seal that said eating mres gives you the worst stomach!

So today was my last day of work for at least three weeks. In the next 48 hours, all of NSW is going to be placed under lockdown, which means that all non-essential services are to remain shut until further notice.

...yikes. :(

Hawki:
So today was my last day of work for at least three weeks. In the next 48 hours, all of NSW is going to be placed under lockdown, which means that all non-essential services are to remain shut until further notice.

...yikes. :(

I wonder if QLD will get the same treatment. Also wondering about schools, because if they close, my work will close. But otherwise we'll stay open.

I'll find out Mon or Tues whether my job counts as essential in NSW and won't be shut down. I'm guessing it does, but don't know for sure.

Day 3 of obligatory quarantine. Playing Far Cry 5, watching Fleabag on Amazon, reading Timequake. Baked muffins yesterday, did the laundry, cleaned the house. Miss my girlfriend.

twistedmic:
I work in a grocery store so my plans consist of going to work, bitching about stupid/rude customers and hoping I don't catch the virus .

You on mass sanitizing duty? My fingers are screaming for mercy at the end of every shift for me, even with gloves.

It feels like the apocalypse happened, but for some reason taxes are still due and I'm the last accountant trying to get it all filed for the remaining populace.

Similar, just substitute "The display cases have some smudges on them, I better wipe them before someone sees!" for the taxes.

What plan?

I worked in retail that also sell foods so no work from home for me! Likewise, our store is the same as all of the other affected store (god danm panic buyers) althought we had a massive food delivery today! Needless to say I am very exhauted due to how hectic works has been especially now the kids are no longer in school!

When it come to my days off, my plan are only to go outside only if I or my parent need to buy something. With me having a justify reasons to outside most of the week does put me risk on possible catching the virus and the last thing I want is to get my parent infected cos of me! If that were to catch it, I will quratine myself in my bedroom (will still have to used the toliet and barthroom so I will tell my parent to bleach it or something) and make sure my parent stayed OUT for a week or two!

I've been watching a buncha animes

I've been staying at home, which would be fine except I'm kinda bored. I still have classes online, so there's that.

Despair. Not at all because of the virus itself (it's only epidemic in Helsinki and a couple of other cities, not where I live), but because my social life got annihilated. Play games, advance studies from home as much as possible, watch stuff online...

And despair because the situation getting bad in one part of the country will screw up my part too no matter what.

Just drinking Corona beer to pass the time.

Marik2:
Just drinking Corona beer to pass the time.

CrazyGirl17:
I've been staying at home, which would be fine except I'm kinda bored. I still have classes online, so there's that.

Boo hoo. I'd trade places with you and anyone else hiding in their house any day.

Smithnikov:

CrazyGirl17:

Boo hoo. I'd trade places with you and anyone else hiding in their house any day.

Frankly, I'd rather swap places with you and sanitize stores until my hands bled, rather than work on my grad school stuff.

SupahEwok:

Smithnikov:

CrazyGirl17:

Frankly, I'd rather swap places with you and sanitize stores until my hands bled, rather than work on my grad school stuff.

You'll miss academia after a few years of not doing it.

dscross:

SupahEwok:

Smithnikov:

You'll miss academia after a few years of not doing it.

No, not especially. I'm smart, but not a very good student. Classes bore me. Work invigorates me. My research assistantship has given me nothing to do for almost a year, and sitting around at work doing nothing has depressed the shit out of me. And then I found out that I didn't need this Master's degree as a shortcut to the job I wanted, like I thought I would. I have a friend with the same career goals that managed to get that job within half a year of graduating from our bachelor's degree program. Time to get the fuck out, do something worthwhile, and actually have some money on hand.

Or it was, until the economy crashed.

booze and weed tbh. pizza too. and a few biscuits.

SupahEwok:

If I could, I'd take that bet, especially since I'd become a segment of society deemed valuable enough to try and keep healthy. If you're a broom monkey, your ass is expendable.

Starting day #5 of quarantine. I stocked up survivalist style Thursday, enough to last 2-3 weeks I think. Maybe more. I'm on my own and I'm goot at rationing/distracting myself. I can go out for more groceries but I'm turning the situation into an experiment: how long can I go without going out?

Quarantine supposedly ends March 31 but now there's talk of extending it to April 12. Crazy!

I still don't understand why there is so little in the news about what started the virus, those 'wet markets' all over Asia. Wildlife that is never meant to be in close proximity to one another are stacked in tiny cages with animals high on stress and horribly abused before being slaughtered. It are absolute animal torture chambers. It makes you sick to your stomach.

Scientists now think the virus most likely jumped the species barrier from pengolin to human.It is the most traded wild animal whose only defense against the torture is to curl up in a ball. Most likely at one point it simply turned against itself.

The coronavirus is simply mother nature's revenge. Societies can quarantine all they want it is just waiting for a more dangerous mutation or second wave. This coronavirus should probably be seen as a second warning to treat animals better and immediately shut down all of the wildlife markets. First SARS now ncov-SARS2 what's next?

Looks now like Trump is going to push to get people back to work.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/23/21191289/trump-social-distancing-tweets-coronavirus

GOOD. Sick and tired of all the comfy Pepe's rubbing it in my face about catching up on Anime and playing Doom eternal while I'm knee deep in piss stained tiles.

Smithnikov:
Looks now like Trump is going to push to get people back to work.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/23/21191289/trump-social-distancing-tweets-coronavirus

GOOD. Sick and tired of all the comfy Pepe's rubbing it in my face about catching up on Anime and playing Doom eternal while I'm knee deep in piss stained tiles.

There is a point where the cure becomes worse than the problem but it's precise moment is difficult to determine. If you take the country which was struck the worst, Italy, then the average age of the people who died is 82 of which 98,8% already had serious health issues. Every corona death is suddenly one too many while ofcourse predominantly old, sick people would have died of other infections or health issues as well. It's also pretty obvious countries are now using the panic to withdraw democratic rights(Hungary and South America in particular though they were never democratic to begin with) and enforce the police surveillance state they always dreamed of.

Then there is the problem of debt and bail-outs. The U.S. is lucky that the dollar is the worldwide currency but the sudden increase of debt in E.U. countries is worrisome as well. Take Italy again as example. That country already has a debt of 134% on GDP of 2,5 billion which will now increase to 150 - 160%. ECB already bought 2,6 billions in state obligations of the poorer E.U. countries Italy and Spain but it's unlikely the printed money will ever be requisitioned. Hate to say it but Trump is not completely off the mark.

Panic leads to unpayable debt leads to depression leads to hyperinflation. Sounds familair? They already skipped the 'rule by decree' part.

As for the coronavirus it's really already so widespread that it's everywhere. From hospitals to prisons. Even Weinstein got it. Sooner or later it's inevitable pretty much everyone comes into contact with it.

stroopwafel:
I still don't understand why there is so little in the news about what started the virus, those 'wet markets' all over Asia. Wildlife that is never meant to be in close proximity to one another are stacked in tiny cages with animals high on stress and horribly abused before being slaughtered. It are absolute animal torture chambers. It makes you sick to your stomach.

Scientists now think the virus most likely jumped the species barrier from pengolin to human.It is the most traded wild animal whose only defense against the torture is to curl up in a ball. Most likely at one point it simply turned against itself.

The coronavirus is simply mother nature's revenge. Societies can quarantine all they want it is just waiting for a more dangerous mutation or second wave. This coronavirus should probably be seen as a second warning to treat animals better and immediately shut down all of the wildlife markets. First SARS now ncov-SARS2 what's next?

And the thing is, that once this is all over, Winnie the Pooh will just let the wet markets do what they want. No one is going to learn from this. If winnie the pooh wants to be part of the global economy, then he should completely shut down the wet markets.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.