Poll: Which is worse? "Grave digging"? Or ignoring the search bar?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Which is worse: Taking a topic that hasn't been touched in two-three years, or making a brand new topic to replace one that already exists?

Both are pretty bad lol, but i guess it really depends on how old the post is?

I assume taking a more recent post. Cause nobody remembers many posts from 2-3 years ago

Personally, I think that both are just as bad as each other. But I would prefer not to see the same thread idea started by 5 different people in the span of two days...

the thing with adding to old threads is sometimes you want to get your opinion across without having to start a new thread.

Both are bad, but grave digging isn't as bad unless the post is from like 2007 (which happened recently with the PS2 article).

GodsOneMistake:
I assume taking a more recent post. Cause nobody remembers many posts from 2-3 years ago

This. I put a limit of a month for threads before I feel the need for the search bar. Note that's a month from the last post on that thread, so if a thread is 2-3 years old but there's been a recent post then I'll post there rather than start a new topic. However, the search button is still important, but I get really pissed off at all the Search-Button Nazis that pop up on almost every thread that has even the slightest chance of being done before. There are only so many possible topics for discussion, people! How can you do all this without overlooking a few old topics, anyway?

considering that the search bar has got enough XP and it's taken a level in AWESOME, there is now very little excuse for repeat threads

necro is worst, why not make a new thread if the topic is old?. and i absolutely hate seeing 4 or 5 people all using the following equation in a thread:

'my favourite X is the search button, it is Y'

where X = the topic of the thread

and Y = 'witty' pun that is copy and pasted to every other thread

Grave digging is much worse in my opinion, let old threads die damn it xD

Depends on the topic....

If there's a thread that's months old but never really gets brought up.. then starting a new thread seems ok...

... but if it's a topic like "Teh Ultimate PS3 vs 360 thread"

or

"ROFL, What's your most favoritest Game evAr?!"

then use the search, these threads open all the time.

Honestly, I don't see an issue with reviving a dead thread. But that's just me.

megapenguinx:
Both are bad, but grave digging isn't as bad unless the post is from like 2007 (which happened recently with the PS2 article).

That article actually spawned this thread... >.<

I just figured I'd bump this for the irony. This should make you know my opinion.

I thought were actually comparing ignoring the search bar to real grave digging

Julianking93:

You too? I only just realised they were talking about necroing old threads.

Necroing a topic is preferrable here when making a thread that has been done before. But, to find that thread, you are going to have to use the search, so they work in tandem, really. Do both!

To me the search bar ignorance is annoying, i remember when Halo Wars came out and like a bajillion threads came out saying that ZOMG TEH NEW HALOZ IZ THA SHIZZLE(well maybe not like that) but i would rather see a decent thread necroed than one that is done to death

I get more irritated at topics that are from '08, mostly because I can't talk to the OP or anyone from the first load of thread.

Anything over a year, yes, new thread. The old one will not be relevant any more.

Any one who is ignoring the search bar needs to be crucified and set her on fire!!

AmrasCalmacil:

Julianking93:

You too? I only just realised they were talking about necroing old threads.

Me too!!

Honestly, who is going to remember a thread that was started over two weeks ago and nobody has commented on it since then? I think that grave digging is pretty pointless.

I'd rather see an old thread, no matter how old, necromanced than see a few threads on the same topic over the course of a few days.

It kind of depends. If you have a divergent thought from the old thread, I'm fully for starting a new thread even if it's tangentially related to the old one. So, if there's a thread about healthcare reform, and you specifically want to talk about tort reform, I would see the grave-digging as counter-intuitive.

The issue I have is that grave digging is only useful if you want to increase responses to the OP of the old thread, since people will see the thread and (if they even read it) likely respond to the first post, rather than the last one. Grave digging means that whatever your thought is, it's not going to be heard.

I don't have a problem with either. I don't see how anyone could.

It's not grave digging, it's THREAD NECROMANCY!

I would say that as long as the thread topic isn't completely out of date (for instance, an article on the "recent announcement" of the Nintendo Revolution), I don't really see that much of a problem with necromancy.

It depends, if youre going to necro to add absolutely nothing to that old discussion then that would be worse in my eyes than ignoring the search bar. Although recently weve had a string of repeat or copy threads on a daily basis. Im not really sure, i guess it depends on the context.

The first amidment of the Escapist posting guidelines...

Thread Necroing and Thread Duping: We know that our forums have a very high volume of traffic and sometimes you will end up wanting to talk about subjects that are being discussed elsewhere on the forums. To keep thread spam to a minimum, we ask that you try not to start threads in the same board on exactly the same topic as another thread that's already active that day. We reserve the right to combine, merge, or delete redundant threads where we see this happen. We will ban for thread spamming in a persistent, abusive, or exploitative manner.
If you want to have a discussion on a topic that's been the subject of a past thread, you should generally join in that thread if it's a live discussion. If that thread has been inactive for a month or more, its good etiquette to start a new thread and link to the old thread if you want to provide it as background information, and we discourage arbitrary bumping. We will ban for thread bumping if and when it is conducted in a persistent, abusive, or exploitative manner."

I think it's acceptable if a thread is more than a month old and has over 8 pages of posts. Because let's face it, we're all a bunch of pretentious opinionated internet users who need to get our opinion across, and the chances are no one is going to read it.

I also think that some threads that are locked due to people flaming have a right to be remade, it's not the OP's fault that people sometimes flame over irrelevant issues.

Sometimes it's okay to ignore the search bar if you want to talk about a similar topic but a different aspect of it. Because if you want to talk about it, and there are a few pages in, people may not discuss it as much as you wish.

As for which one is worse? Well let's see -

We'll make a thread similar to this, then a month later we'll re-post here. And compare the amount of Search Bar Nazi's and reports.

iron codpiece:
I just figured I'd bump this for the irony. This should make you know my opinion.

I appreciate your irony. I mostly prefer people necro myself. If only to avoid the 'we already did this' comments.

I've got nothing wrong with necro-ing so long as it's not ridiculous. 1 or 2 months sounds about right.

It's in the posting rules that you should search for and resurrect old threads instead of making a new one on the same topic, yet people are clicking thread necroing as worse.

Gaaahhhhh the humanity, why can't they just read the rules.

It's a good question though, I dislike multiple threads as they end up always being the same 50posts over and over. At least with resurections you get 200 posts all in the same discussion, there's scope for something to be said then, or at least for nothing to be said in one convienient space.

Worr Monger:
but if it's a topic like "Teh Ultimate PS3 vs 360 thread"

or

"ROFL, What's your most favoritest Game evAr?!"

then use the search, these threads open all the time.

Your kidding me right? those threads are an explosion of epic opinions, arguements and consolidations...

...tosser

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked