Most underrated movie?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I just finished looking at a bunch of threads about overrated movies, but didn't see any about underrated movies.

So are there any movies that you have seen that are severely underrated, but deserve better? Underrated could be critics (idiots) giving it a bad score, or just not enough people who actually saw it. I myself am contently looking for new movies to see, and anything that was halfway decent would probably make good watching so.

Personally I believe that the 1961 film of Lord of the Flies is severely underrated. I still have yet to meet anyone in my age group who has seen the movie before. True, I don't think it was as good as the novel, but I think that it stands right up there in great classics, mainly because it sort of conveyed the same message I got when I read the book.

Hey now no need to get mad at critics. We are all a critic on the inside.
But for me its going to From Russia with Love. So many people just don't know how awesome this movie really is.

The Fifth Element (from what I can recall) was critically slated, but, is a brilliant movie.

A Knights Tale is highly under-ratted in my opinion, good story, lots of parody with modern sports fans, excellent acting, well tied together, in short, it is a very good film!

Curtmiester:
Hey now no need to get mad at critics. We are all a critic on the inside.
But for me its going to From Russia with Love. So many people just don't know how awesome this movie really is.

James Bond=Win. That full collection I got for like 160 bucks was worth every penny spent for it. My personal favorite is Thunderball.

blade runner is one of my favorite movies i only know 2 other people like that movie

I could state a bunch of older movies that very few people seemd to like, ill just go with Terminator Salvation, just saw it a few days ago. Dont understand why people didnt like it.

Well, Equilibrium has a 33 on metacritic...

sms_117b:
The Fifth Element (from what I can recall) was critically slated, but, is a brilliant movie.

A Knights Tale is highly under-ratted in my opinion, good story, lots of parody with modern sports fans, excellent acting, well tied together, in short, it is a very good film!

I thought it got positive reviews? Well if not, another reason to call critics dumb. Seriously tho, Chris Tucker has GOT to star in more movies... he is comedic relief at it's very best.

eelel:
blade runner is one of my favorite movies i only know 2 other people like that movie

Blade Runner is so awesome, I haven't watched that in forever!

I would have to say either The Boondock Saints or Evil Dead 2

sms_117b:

I rate you for the first and my girlfiend would probably hump you for the second.....stay away...waves a large stick in sms's general direction

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist is one of my favorite comedies. However only one other person I know gets the references I make. It's like an inside joke when we talk about that movie.

Another movie that I really like that nobody seems to talk about is Grind. It is the best skateboard movie I'v seen (also Lords of Dogtown is an awesome movie too now that i recall).

Big Fish was good too.

Soylent Green was amazing

sentrosi:

eelel:

Blade Runner is so awesome, I haven't watched that in forever!

I would have to say either The Boondock Saints or Evil Dead 2

sadly i have not seen either of thoughs i will have to check them out

I'll probably say Kill Bill. I know people generally like it, but I think its far more amazing then given credit.

I can't say it's been underrated but because it's foreign(Korean to be exact) no one States side knows about an action film/ propaganda flick called Shiri. Really violent and surprising heres a link to it's netflix page:
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Shiri/60022610?lnkce=seBsLn&trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=308941418_0_0

For US films I would say The Doom Generation,sick and twisted and insanely funny.
Here's a link to it's netflix page, you can stream it if you want.
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Doom_Generation/454313?lnkce=seBsLn&trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=330044332_0_0

The Life Aquatic. Or any movie by Wes Anderson. Wes Anderson creates memorable characters that are so perfectly flawed that the ridiculous situations they find themselves in make perfect sense. Not to mention the unique ambiance idiosyncratic environments he creates. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you need to see one of these films.

The other one I can think of is Dr. Strangelove from Stanley Kubric. This move was made in 1964 and still one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

thepopeofatheism:
The Life Aquatic. Or any movie by Wes Anderson. Wes Anderson creates memorable characters that are so perfectly flawed that the ridiculous situations they find themselves in make perfect sense. Not to mention the unique ambiance idiosyncratic environments he creates. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you need to see one of these films.

The other one I can think of is Dr. Strangelove from Stanley Kubric. This move was made in 1964 and still one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

THANK YOU! I was about to put that movie down. (Life Aquatic I mean)

Logan's Run

Monty Python movies.

Or Snatch.

thepopeofatheism:

Dr. Strangelove is absolutely fantastic, but I'm not sure I'd call it underrated -- you're totally right about Wes Anderson, though. Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums are fairly well-known/acclaimed, but I think The Life Aquatic and The Darjeeling Limited are equally good.

Gran Torino. I <3 that film.

Eraserhead and Brazil.

eelel:

Blade Runner is a cult classic.

Lucky Number Slevin was really good, I love seeing Bruce Willis as a bad guy again. (Also great in The Jackal) And Memento is an amazing movie that didn't do very well and should have. It has a special place in my heart, as my brother suffers from similar head trauma, though he's not as far gone. He can make long term memories at least through routine, but no short term.

Insanum:

Eastwood did a great job in that, but the other actors dragged that movie down so badly.

blade runner is good and so is the life aqutic but my pick is Mortal Kombat the first one the second one is crap. also Monty Python's the meaning of life, Mel Brook's History of the World Part 1, or his movie Dracul Dead and Lovin' it funny as hell.

Hey! Critics are smarter than us in terms of film making. No, really they are as they studied literature and film making at college to get their jobs. Except for Kevin McCarthy, that kids a f*@king retard and Armond White is a sworn nemesis to all cinephiles every where.

My pick is the film No Country for Old Men. Simply because I'm tired of these whiny teenage nerds and dry wool anime fans complain about the ending saying that its; "abrupt" and "nothing is resolved". When really its supposed to reveal the symbolic theme of the entire movie, its one of the best and most poetic endings in a movie ever. Its not the cliche Hollywood/Michael Bayish endings we're used to watching when guy beats the bad guy, guy gets the girl, and Happily Ever After. No, its much more darker and realistic.

Then again we live in a society where kids think video games and animes like Metal Gear Solid and Elfen Lied {Overhyped piece of shit anime} have "really deep stories".

Jennacide:

Insanum:

Eastwood did a great job in that, but the other actors dragged that movie down so badly.

Agreed...too a point...

I just found it funny when everyone kept leaving him gifts. it was brilliant.

Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th Dimension.

One of the best old movies that isn't well known. A lot of good actors were in it, too.

I have to go with Hudson Hawk. I don't know if anyone thinks about it at all any more but at the time (1991, I think) it had this terrible reputation as a cinematic bomb. The thing is most of my friends who saw it and I thought it was a genuinely fun movie. It's silly and implausible, I won't even try to back away from that, but so what? I'm all for movies with substance but sometimes it's fun to sit down and watch a ludicrous series of events.

You know, I'm almost afraid to tell you guys. seeing as this is a gaming forum the movie I'm going to put down may get me shot, but here goes anyway.

Postal is an extremely underrated movie and actually rather enjoyable to watch.

The Monkey King, also known as The Lost Empire, was a fantastic mini-serie. Six episodes of half an hour, making for an amazing 3-hour movie.

sms_117b:

You're right, I love Knights Tale. What a fun movie.

Big Fish and A Knights Tale were both extremely under-rated movies.
Equilibrium is another that I don't think hardly anyone has really heard of let alone seen, and it is quite a damn good "what-if" sci-fi movie.

Then again Butterfly Effect was a truely remarkable movie that just seems to have faded into obscurity, followed by a truely horrible hollywood sequal that should never have seen the light of day.

eelel:

Blade Runner is critically acclaimed though is it not?

My pick is The Last Castle. One of my favourite films of all time.

That, and The Thomas Crown Affair.

Children of Men. It's not underrated, more unknown really.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked