Ipod Saves Girl's Life

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Was reading the paper this morning and found this story in an article:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090619/tuk-lightning-teenager-saved-by-ipod-6323e80.html
For all the naysayers out there who think teens spend too much time listening to their Ipods ;)

What was she doing outside in a lightning storm anyway?

Wow. That's pure luck, and maybe a bit of science.

I feel I have to be the wet blanket and point out that sheltering from a thunderstorm under a tree was phenomenally stupid.

orannis62:
I feel I have to be the wet blanket and point out that sheltering from a thunderstorm under a tree was phenomenally stupid.

yeah, its also kind of a cliché isnt it? XD

Let's see a Zune do THAT :)

orannis62:

I'm glad someone else was thinking it.

Maybe I misread it, but wasn't it the Ipod that almost kill her, her only lucky break being that it wasn't hooked up to her ears? And I have to agree with Orannis; hiding under a tree was stupid.

do you think that voids her warenty?

because they wouldnt give me a new one for dropping it. id be pissed if they give her a new one for being a compleate dumb ass.

RebelRising:
Maybe I misread it, but wasn't it the Ipod that almost kill her, her only lucky break being that it wasn't hooked up to her ears? And I have to agree with Orannis; hiding under a tree was stupid.

No, I can see how the Ipod (or, more likely, the rubber ear buds) saved her. Much the same as how a car is safe because of the rubber tires, even though most of the rest is metal.

orannis62:

RebelRising:

No, I can see how the Ipod (or, more likely, the rubber ear buds) saved her. Much the same as how a car is safe because of the rubber tires, even though most of the rest is metal.

Ah, well. I'm an idiot when it comes to science anyways.

HardRockSamurai:

a zune would have electrocuted her long before the lightning storm.

orannis62:

high school physics...yeah like I remember lesson one about lightning...

Darth Mobius:

MMMATT:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090619/tuk-lightning-teenager-saved-by-ipod-6323e80.html
For all the naysayers out there who think teens spend too much time listening to their Ipods ;)

Actually, if they had spent less time listening to her iPoo and MORE TIME PAYING ATTENTION, she wouldn't have been so dumb as to hide UNDER A TREE IN A LIGHTING STORM. She is so fucking Christian...

iPoo.. Thats a good one hur hur hurr

You can't really blame a couple of 14 year olds for having a lapse of judgement when they got scared. Also, her earphones were out, so I can only guess she wasn't actually listening to it.

I for one am really happy that she lived, I can't begin to imagine how much it would suck for her boyfriend if the worse happend.

orannis62:

RebelRising:

Hmm? That's not why a passenger in a car is safe from lightning strikes -- the rubber doesn't do much to insulate the car. The car acts as a Faraday cage, meaning the static charge travels along the outside of the car, safely diverting the lightning strike from the interior. In this case, the headphone wiring is a better conductor than human flesh, but it got extremely hot and probably melted the insulation, causing the burns.

zen5887:

Darth Mobius:

MMMATT:

Actually, if they had spent less time listening to her iPoo and MORE TIME PAYING ATTENTION, she wouldn't have been so dumb as to hide UNDER A TREE IN A LIGHTING STORM. She is so fucking Christian...

You can't really blame a couple of 14 year olds for having a lapse of judgement when they got scared. Also, her earphones were out, so I can only guess she wasn't actually listening to it.

I for one am really happy that she lived, I can't begin to imagine how much it would suck for her boyfriend if the worse happend.

god blames you, he blames you, then he hits you with lightning

zen5887:

Darth Mobius:

MMMATT:

Speaking of, even though he was just as stupid as her, I feel the boyfriend deserves some praise. Carrying his girlfriend after being partially hit (to the point his vision was messed up) himself is worth a couple brownie points.

RebelRising:

orannis62:

RebelRising:

Ah, well. I'm an idiot when it comes to science anyways.

Science is my specialty (more chemistry than Earth Science, but still) :)

I thought it was good that her boyfriend carried her to safety.

Though, how is it possible BOTH of them didn't know to not stand under a tree during a thunderstorm?

Wait, first their dating at 14, secondly they hid under a tree during a lightning storm?! Most logical people go for a building. People are getting dumber everyday

Gruthar:

orannis62:

RebelRising:

Hmm? That's not why a passenger in a car is safe from lightning strikes -- the rubber doesn't do much to insulate the car. The car acts as a Faraday cage, meaning the static charge travels along the outside of the car. In this case, the headphone wiring is a better conductor than human flesh, but it got extremely hot and probably melted the insulation, causing the burns.

Oh. I'd always thought it was because the rubber wheels grounded it. Oh well, can't be right all the time.

Wouldn't having an object with a metal plate be the icing on the cake for attracting lightning when added to the fact that they were standing under a tree?

Darth Mobius:

MMMATT:

I'm sorry, what does being Christian have to do with education regarding Lightning storms?

ishat myself, OK not really. But anyway that aside, Apple could really take advantage of this for publicity.

Buy an ipod, it will save your life...

OK that sucks, but they could give her a golden ipod or something like that.

Chesterfield Snapdragon McFisticuffs:

Darth Mobius:

MMMATT:

I'm sorry, what does being Christian have to do with education regarding Lightning storms?

It is a new insult I am trying to get started, to replace Retarded. Surely you noticed that the the word CHRISTIAN was a link... You wouldn't have had to ask me that if you had CLICKED IT...

orannis62:
Speaking of, even though he was just as stupid as her, I feel the boyfriend deserves some praise. Carrying his girlfriend after being partially hit (to the point his vision was messed up) himself is worth a couple brownie points.

Now THIS I have to agree with. I wouldn't say hero, but he definitely went above and beyond to save her.

Well. Anything can save you really.

Someone could try and stab me in the kidney, only for me to have mistaken my morning Weetabix for a copy of Juiced 2 and eaten it, which would travel infront of the path of the blade.

I need to get out more. I can't believe I actually just thought that bollocks up.

Sophie Frost, 14, and her boyfriend Mason Billington, also 14, sheltered under a tree in King George V Playing Field, in Rayleigh, Essex, during a thunder storm on Monday night.

STUPID MOTHERFUCKERS, you do not ever take shelter under a tree in a lightning storm for that very reason!!

HardRockSamurai:

A Zune is so awesome it wouldn't have even burned her, she would giggle and say "That tickled." Thats how badass a Zune is.

Darth Mobius:

MMMATT:

Ahhh. Cross-thread references. Love em!
And I hope this girl never gets pregnant. Hopefully her lack of common sense will not spread into the future.
I wonder if the iPod skipped?
From the article:
"Mind you, the only thing Sophie seemed worried about was that her new iPod was frazzled."
Oh dear christ...my hopes for our future are once again dashed.

Srkkl:

HardRockSamurai:

A Zune is so awesome it wouldn't have even burned her, she would giggle and say "That tickled." Thats how badass a Zune is.

OH MY GOD IT EXPLODED MY INTESTINES!!!
in all seriousness, not a bit of difference.

They hid under a tree.......smart.

Maybe, its possible that the song she was listening to was just So bad, that the lightning redirected it's path in an attempt to neutralize the sound, instead of taking lives.

So the lightning storm happened, and she dedcided to hide under a tree wearing copper wiring? And instead of examining where she got these ideas we are marvelling at the miracle she's still alive. She's lucky, and news sucks.

I smell a Mythbusters episode in the making. Not to debunk the theory, but to recreate the conditions and show it happening again.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked