Your favorite Prime Minister of the U.K.?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I've seen a lot of U.S. President threads, and I thought, "Hey, there are other countries out there. Why not see what leaders that one has produced worth praise?" So, who is your favorite Prime Minister of the United Kingdom?
EDIT: Hmm, lotta people like Churchill.

Yay for not having a clue!!! woooo yeah, i like wasting the first post. America fuck yeah! lol. I jest, i jest...

Winston Churchill for being funny.

Hugh Grant

ottenni:

Agreed.

And he knew how to shoot a gun too.

Good 'ol Winston Churchill... The Bulldog of Britain.

James Bond

But seriously, probably Churchill (obvious reasons) or Thatcher (first woman and all).

My knowledge extends to Chuchill, Thatcher and Brown... so I'm definitely not going to pick Brown. Churchill because he was a drunk? Or because he was fantastic during the second world war? I'll go with the more sensible option...

Churchill- without question

ottenni:

This. And for pwning the Germans.

And we repaid him by flinging him on his arse out of office. Nice.

Blair, as he was the most skilled for the job.

Blair was pretty good, earlier on. And of course, the cliche, Churchill.

Churchill or Maggie.
Churchill was the one who practically stopped Britain from surrendering to the Nazi's during the blitz. And Maggie fought the unions (which looking at the news today I heartily agree with).

Neville Chamberlaine, for being a total pussy and bending over and taking it whenever Adolf Hitler asked.

Ok, maybe not.

Jeremy Clarkson.

Wait...

Boris Johnson. Dammit, I keep forgetting you're from the past...

Err, Churcill, yes... He was awesome.

As a member of the "The B-Team" i have an expert opinion.

John FRICKIN MAJOR

I'm only going to choose ones that I was alive to experience, so.... Thatcher? God no. Even though I wasn't even 1 year old when she resigned, everything I've heard about her seems kinda shit. John Major? lol who the fuck is he. Tony Blair? He fucked Labour up by moving to the centre. Gordon Brown? I just feel sorry for him.

now I'm depressed

Three people voting for Thatcher? Are you clinically insane?

When I have time I will provide a page full of reasons why not.

As for favourite, I think only Jim Hacker (Yes, Prime Minister) counts.

MusicalFreedom:
John Major? lol who the fuck is he.

THATS WHO

Ya gotta admit, Blair did make everything look very easy. Well, compared to Brown at least...

And Churchill was great in the war years, but I'm not so sure about him as a peacetime Prime Minister.

People also forget about David Lloyd George, our prime minister in (the second half of) the First World War. I dont really know much about him though...

So yeah, any of those guys probably.

The Infamous Scamola:
Neville Chamberlaine, for being a total pussy and bending over and taking it whenever Adolf Hitler asked.

Ok, maybe not.

Chamberlin gets a lot of bad press, but to be fair to the man he did try his best to pacify Europe and keep the peace, which was an admirable endeavour surely?

The Infamous Scamola:

Ok, maybe not.

Hugs for once I totally agree with Scamola. Chamberlain as bad as Petain.

Wadders:
Ya gotta admit, Blair did make everything look very easy. Well, compared to Brown at least...

So yeah, any of those guys probably.

Chamberlin gets a lot of bad press, but to be fair to the man he did try his best to pacify Europe and keep the peace, which was an admirable endeavour surely?

Yeah but Blair left a bit of a mess behind which Browns still clearing up. As to Chamberlain the only good thing he did was stand down. This is a man who married his relatives FFS. Oh yeah & he was the guy who created the Israel-Palestine problem.

Well since i dislike to tories, Blair.

I like Blair early on, but on the other hand Churchill was awesome.

Lady Nancy Astor: If I were your wife I would put poison in your coffee!
Churchill: And if I were your husband I would drink it!

Clement Attlee founder of the nhs and a man who maintained near full employment during one of our worst economic downturns.

I'll go with Major, he came up from impoverished circumstances and found his way into politics through banking. Imagine a politician like Thatcher but with more tact and diplomacy.

Disraeli was also pretty good, along with Churchill, Blair, and Thatcher.

The Master.

Godzilla or Optimus Prime for sure

LimaBravo:

The Infamous Scamola:

Ok, maybe not.

Hugs for once I totally agree with Scamola. Chamberlain as bad as Petain.

Indeed. Huzza for finding a common ground.

LimaBravo:
He was the guy who created the Israel-Palestine problem.

Wasn't that whole thing started way before his time though? With the Balfour Declaration back in 1917?

Wadders:

Yeah, yeah, good intentions. You don't stop world wars with good intentions, and you don't stop world wars by caving in to the incredibly ludicrous requests of the nazi-fascist war machine. Admirable goals, surely, but totally failed execution.

Harold 'Super Mac' Macmillan, and Tony Blair. The latter because of the huge changes he brought about to the Labour party, bringing it into the modern world.

And Winston Churchill? I know he is the only Prime Minister I would expect you non-brits to know but I really don't think he can be my favourite, he is a typical old fashioned tory, he represented everything wrong with Britain and the establishment.

I know I contradicted myself by liking Macmillan as well, but I feel the things he did were very good.

Hang on... more than one person said Margaret Thatcher? And not just for the sake of mockery? Yikes.

Speaking purely of those I've known in my lifetime: Thatcher was... argh. John Major was not particularly memorable. Gordon Brown is a pretender to the throne that nobody voted for, and now nobody would vote for him again (unless it's a 'lesser of two evils' sort of thing, because if the Conservatives come to power with David Cameron as PM, I'm moving to Canada), which is why he's too scared to call an election.

...I guess that means my vote goes to Tony Blair by default. Aside from being Bush's lapdog, I don't think he did a bad job in general.

William Gladstone. The only one who was ever even slightly nice to Ireland. Everyone else just sort of treated us like target practice.

Blair, Churchill and hopefully at some point Boris Johnson gets a turn because he is a hilarious blonde hobbit.

GodsAndFishes:
And Maggie fought the unions

...killing Northern England and Central Scotland's industry.

Brown hasn't actually done anything wrong, other than suck up to English sports that he doesn't care about? Love when people blame their leaders for global crisis...

From my narrow-minded 15 year old perspective, I don't want Cameron in. He's a slimy bastard whom all of his speeches include blaming Labour for things that the Tories have been incapable of doing in the past and making promises that no one in the world would be capable of keeping. And his voice annoys me to no end. Nothing like a news report with that bitch-face in it to get me fired up in the morning.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked