Do You Like Anime? Write for The Escapist!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

The Escapist is looking to widen its stable of talented writers to take on the latest anime titles to hit North America, and one of those writers could be you!

Have you been keeping track of our growing Anime Reviews section since it launched in June? Do you want to join the ranks of our five illustrious critics and get your writing featured on one of the most popular gaming culture sites on the internet? The Escapist is looking for two (2) anime fans within our community to join our team reviewing the latest and shiniest new series. If you're interested in applying for the position, here's what you need to do to make your case:

We're looking for two review samples - choose any of the following anime titles to review:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Ouran High School Host Club
Death Note
Princess Mononoke

Send us a long-form review (maximum wordcount: 750 words), and a short review (maximum wordcount: 200 words) - you can review the same anime for both, or choose to do a different one for each. Knowledge of the subject matter is as important as writing ability, so please only apply if you're fairly knowledgable about anime - we're looking for experts. Also keep in mind that you will be expected to meet assigned deadlines.

Please write the review samples in the word processing app of your choice - Microsoft Word preferred. Send them as attachments to john (at) escapistmag (dot) com . Be sure to include your Escapist forum username and real name in the body of the email, and the email subject must contain "Anime Review Position." Applications must be submitted no later than 6:00 PM EST on Friday, January 29th, 2010.

Submissions not meeting these requirements will not be considered.

This is an unpaid position - all of the anime will be provided for free, and is yours to keep! Review assignments will be decided at The Escapist's discretion.

Due to format differences and international (and overseas) shipping fees, this position is open to residents of the continental United States only. You must be 18 or older to apply.

If you have any questions about the position or the application, ask them here, or PM John Funk.

I would love to, but I fear I don't love it enough to be considered.

And I'm not American.

While this may be great news to someone, it is not to me since I don't even watch anime.
But I must say before I leave this post:

"...talented writers to take on the latest anime titles to hit North America...."
I thought that had said, anime titties the first time I read it....

Furburt:

And I'm not American.

Ditto, in regards to nationality. Otherwise would have participated for sure.

Ah well...

Good luck to the entries!

I was so psyched until I reached the end and it said "United States only", why do they always do that? Every contest, job offering, trial etc. Each and every time, they wait for the end to tell us that the majority of us can't apply. (Not only the Escapsit mind you) Meh, good luck to those who can though ^^

Blast, foiled by my Canadiana!

Aaaaw, US only? =(

Furburt:

And I'm not American.

Exactly this. My knowledge of anime extends as far reaching as Lucky Star and Rosario + Vampire (which is bordering on soft-core hentai, watch it and you'll see what I mean)

Arcanz:
I was so psyched until I reached the end and it said "United States only", why do they always do that? Every contest, job offering, trial etc. Each and every time, they wait for the end to tell us that the majority of us can't apply. (Not only the Escapsit mind you) Meh, good luck to those who can though ^^

We get sent NTSC stuff, so it wouldn't work in PAL territories - and also, shipping things overseas and internationally is a headache and a half. Apologies to all of our readers outside the US, but it's just not feasible :(

its not fair, its just not fair. Lousy UK
Ah well, i suck at meeting deadlines anyways.

Miki91:
Aaaaw, US only? =(

but we have to be 18 too :[

... and of course they have Evangelion as the pic next to the article, my favorite anime... Not fair, I am not qualified enough for it.

My friend's anime fetish just became profitable(in the material, non monetary sense).

Ohwell. That's what I get for being a casual observer of the art.

John Funk:

Death Note
Princess Mononoke

my favourites!

John Funk:
Due to format differences and international (and overseas) shipping fees, this position is open to residents of the continental United States only.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Damn it! And I was about to write a kick-ass Death Note review too!

In retrospect, I still might do it, even though I won't get the position.

Sounds interesting, although I have seen many more upset non-americans than giddy are-americans making replies so far. This might take you guys a while, but glad to see Princess Mononoke in the list.

Well shoot I'd love to but I'm leaving for a long time and don't expect to have any free time till sometime in the summer :|

good luck finding reviewers though.

TheNumber1Zero:
Sounds interesting, although I have seen many more upset non-americans than giddy are-americans making replies so far. This might take you guys a while, but glad to see Princess Mononoke in the list.

Again, like I said, if it were easy and feasible we'd totally include everyone in our community around the world - we're not doing it just to make Americans happy. It sucks, but it's just not in the cards right now :/

Skullkid4187:

Miki91:
Aaaaw, US only? =(

but we have to be 18 too :[

True =(. I am 18 tho^^

John Funk:

TheNumber1Zero:

Again, like I said, if it were easy and feasible we'd totally include everyone in our community around the world - we're not doing it just to make Americans happy. It sucks, but it's just not in the cards right now :/

Oh, I know that, I was just surprised that I had yet to see a happy American, although there might be one up there; I did see someone mentioning that 3 of the listed animes were there favorite.

Good luck.

Booo!!!!!! Hissss!!!! US only!! >=( Boooo!!! Well I don't think I could do the job anyway, I don't watch all that much anime, I'm mainly just a Dragon Ball fan. The only ones on that list that I've seen in their entirety are Death Note and Princess Mononoke. But still, BOO!! I mean come on guys, you could've at least made it US and Canada, we are similar enough; as much as it pains me to say that.

John Funk:

Death Note
Princess Mononoke

Too bad these are all relatively mainstream and/or not that good. The only potentially good dubbed of the listed could perhaps be DN, then again, a dub is a dub which is shit.

Good try, though. There are anime that aren't released in America (and probably never will be) that outdo all listed...except maybe TTGL. That was awesome.

If perhaps the selected anime were changed, I would consider it, but these are preliminaries, so it's really your game.

Tiut:

John Funk:

Death Note
Princess Mononoke

Too bad these are all relatively mainstream and/or not that good. The only potentially good dubbed of the listed could perhaps be DN, then again, a dub is a dub which is shit.

Good try, though. There are anime that aren't released in America (and probably never will be) that outdo all listed...except maybe TTGL. That was awesome.

Yes, of course they're all mainstream. The purpose of these is to establish a standard, and pick a series of titles where MOST anime fans will be familiar with at least two of the four. So they can't be very obscure things.

Free anime, as long as you complain with structure.

Cool.

US only

Trollface.jpg

18 or over.

ONE BLASTED YEAR OFF FFFFFFFFF

Tiut:

John Funk:

Death Note
Princess Mononoke

If perhaps the selected anime were changed, I would consider it, but these are preliminaries, so it's really your game.

>implying that TTGL is better than Princess Mononoke
BEST BE TROLLING!

And then, of course, work our way into more obscure titles so that the viewers don't feel like they're watching the same thing over and over again?

Oh wait, that's accredited to the dubbing, not the anime itself. >_>

ITT: People rage about how they can't participate in a contest because of where they live in the world when doing so has no affect on the decision of topic starter because he has countless reiterated the reason why their complaints won't be answered.

John Funk:

Tiut:

John Funk:

Death Note
Princess Mononoke

Yes, of course they're all mainstream. The purpose of these is to establish a standard, and pick a series of titles where MOST anime fans will be familiar with at least two of the four. So they can't be very obscure things.

Come to think of it, has there been a review of Baccano! yet? The boxset came out recently.

lordlee:

John Funk:

Tiut:

John Funk:

Death Note
Princess Mononoke

Come to think of it, has there been a review of Baccano! yet? The boxset came out recently.

Yep!

Tiut:
And then, of course, work our way into more obscure titles so that the viewers don't feel like they're watching the same thing over and over again?

Oh wait, that's accredited to the dubbing, not the anime itself. >_>

Again, we only do things with commercial releases in the States, since the Escapist maintains a very firm anti-piracy stance. But if you check out our Reviews Archive you'll find that we cover a lot of the lesser-known stuff (that's released over here), too.

Oh blah... Living in the wrong continent bites me in the arse once more.

Oh wells.

lordlee:

BEST BE TROLLING!

>Implying it isn't

I suppose you also saw all of the Miyazaki films and thought they were the best thing to grace the earth?

I meet all the requirements but my schedule is so damn full that I would be worried about missing deadlines. Damn previous commitments.

Tiut:

lordlee:

BEST BE TROLLING!

>Implying it isn't

I suppose you also saw all of the Miyazaki films and thought they were the best thing to grace the earth?

Of course not. That's Baccano!

I do like TTGL, and in fact put it above a number of Miyaki's titles. It's just not anywhere near Princess Mononoke.

MetaKnight19:

Furburt:

And I'm not American.

Exactly this. My knowledge of anime extends as far reaching as Lucky Star and Rosario + Vampire (which is bordering on soft-core hentai, watch it and you'll see what I mean)

Lucky Star is so fucking funny. I love that show. It along with Haruhi were shows I watched thinking they'd suck and I'd just watch them for a quick laugh but no, no. Both ended up being totally bad ass.

I think I will give this a shot. Doesn't hurt to try right?

Skizle:
I think I will give this a shot. Doesn't hurt to try right?

My thoughts as well. Might get some free anime (then again I watch it all online in Japanese anyway so that's not really changing much).

Tiut:

lordlee:

BEST BE TROLLING!

>Implying it isn't

maybe not best, top 5 probably.

OT; Ahh TTGL and Princess Mononoke I could've reviewed them. Knew should've arranged to born in America

Cool to see the Anime reviews are getting more investment form the escapist, not suggest a lack of interest before it'd just nice to see it getting improved.

lordlee:

Of course not. That's Baccano!

I do like TTGL, and in fact put it above a number of Miyaki's titles. It's just not anywhere near Princess Mononoke.

Baccano! was good, albeit, but not the best. It was much more creative than said GiantRobotAnime, but even Baccano! fell short towards the end, especially with the introduction of useless characters. The plot was very incoherent until the end where they tied it all together rather quickly, and it was just BORING how there were more immortals than people who could actually die. Immortal characters don't give the viewer the sense that he could ever lose that character, and so thus, the feeling for that character feels watered down. RailTracer and Ladd were influential characters by what they said and how they acted, but also because that the watcher felt that they could genuinely die at any moment's notice.

Baccano! was good but certainly not the best. My favorite happens to be not in America, and probably never will be.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked