Love For the Underappreciated.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This thread was formerly known as: "Unsung songs (or whatever) That Everyone Should know."

Before you berate me, yes, I know threads like this have been done time and time again. But 100 percent originality, 100 percent of the time, is tiring. For now, let's all just bask in the safety and familiarity of an Off-Topic cliche.

And here we go.

Have you a favorite song, band, artist, movie, television show, game, etc., that you love, but that no one, so far as you're aware, has heard of?

Antje Duvekot (Aunt-ya Doo-va-kot) is mine. I'm actually kind of torn by this post. I want everyone to appreciate this fantastic artist, but conversely, I kind of want to keep the secret all to myself. As far as I'm aware, not many people know of her.

This song, "Diana's Song", is my personal favorite. Of her musical repertoire, and all music in general. It's beauty in simplicity, which is a mantra of mine. The lyrics deliver a simple, heartfelt, but well-written message. Her vocals convey the most emotion of any musical artist I've ever heard, and her songs never fail to move me. "Diana's Song" is my favorite due to, well, because it's fu**ing awesome, and it has a great deal of sentimental value to me.

So there you go. That's my contribution. Hows about y'all? (go ahead, post, I dare you)

--EDIT: Here are two more artists everyone should know and appreciate. If you couldn't tell by the first two videos, I have a thing for soft acoustics and girls with pretty voices. And I'm reasonably sure most people in the UK are familiar with Glasvegas, but here in America I think they're relatively unknown. Which is a shame, because they're great.

Polly Paulusma

Glasvegas--

--EDIT 2: I've been doing a lot of posting in my own thread (it's sad, I know). Mostly of music I like. One of my intentions for posting this, was to let people know about some obscure artists. Let me know what you think of some of them. I'm curious. And I make a serious effort to respond to everyone who posts here. So have at it!--

Here's a game I remembered recently and have been waiting to talk about it in a thread. Its called Scrpayard Dog and I love it.

khaimera:
Here's a game I remembered recently and have been waiting to talk about it in a thread. Its called Scrpayard Dog and I love it.

Neat. I think you win the obscurity contest, though. Is it available to play online somewhere? If not, (and this isn't surprising) I don't own an Atari 7800 or a Lynx, but I kind of feel like giving it a try.

Astro Boy: Omega Factor

Now THIS is how you use a license.

Well... there are a few games I have played, but others do not seem to have heard of.
Such as Shadow Gunner. (I'll get a pic in a min).

And also, there is this song, that not enough people know about

I've never seen anyone else post it, as far as I can remember.
Apart from one person on IRC.

J. Reed:

khaimera:

Neat. I think you win the obscurity contest, though. Is it available to play online somewhere? If not, (and this isn't surprising) I don't own an Atari 7800 or a Lynx, but I kind of feel like giving it a try.

Thanks. Its a fun platformer where you throw an infinite amount of cans at woodland creatures and gang members. I dont know if its on line though. Amazingly I still have my original LYNX. Right after I bought it, it was discontinued.

Thanks to you for giving me a context to share it.

Benefit, for sure. He's one of, if not the greatest MC I've ever heard.

Onyx Oblivion:

I've played a bit of that - I want the full game but can't find it anywhere because all the games shops near me prefer to focus on newer games where they can make more profit...

OT: My game collection is full of things I love but no-one else does.
Best example:
Cultures 2: The Gates of Asgard
-still yet to find ANYONE who has ever played this.

Greyfox105:
Well... there are a few games I have played, but others do not seem to have heard of.
Such as Shadow Gunner. (I'll get a pic in a min).
And also, there is this song, that not enough people know about

I've never seen anyone else post it, as far as I can remember.
Apart from one person on IRC.

Oh my Jesus! It's in my brain! I'll be hearing that for a month.

And I entered "Favorite Songs" in the Forum search bar, and got quite a few returns. But I guess it's a plus that I'm being less annoying than I originally assumed

Not exactly no-one's ever heard of them, but they're fairly unknown. Sadly they're now splitting up.
Death metal with an ambient edge.

And these guys. Sounds like Corrosion of Conformity meets Zeppelin meets 90's Metallica.

UnityRiot:
Benefit, for sure. He's one of, if not the greatest MC I've ever heard.

Huh. I'm not generally into this kind of thing, but I have to admit, this I like. I always have respect for talented lyricists, and this guy definitely fits into that category.

UnableToThinkOfName:
Not exactly no-one's ever heard of them, but they're fairly unknown. Sadly they're now splitting up.
Death metal with an ambient edge.

And these guys. Sounds like Corrosion of Conformity meets Zeppelin meets 90's Metallica.

I think I'm pretty open-minded with my musical interests, but Metal's just never done it for me. I mean, I listened to both those songs, and the music and vocals are both well-executed and I can see they're good at their craft... but it's just not my genre. Although Godsized is closer to a band I could like. I'd have to hear more tracks to make a decision, though

Cosplay Horatio:

I like Proto Culture a lot. I think there might be some "Del Tha Funkee Homo Sapien" in my iTunes library's future.

Onyx Oblivion:

Now THIS is how you use a license.

*sigh* I haven't owned a handheld since my Game Boy Color way back when... holy shittles! That was TWELVE years ago!? God, and I think it's still sitting in my dresser drawer.

khaimera:
Thanks. Its a fun platformer where you throw an infinite amount of cans at woodland creatures and gang members. I dont know if its on line though. Amazingly I still have my original LYNX. Right after I bought it, it was discontinued.

Thanks to you for giving me a context to share it.

No problem! I aim to please.

And if only we could solve gang problems by throwing cans at members. Somehow I don't think that would translate well into reality.

Probably THD For me :

Kyuss definitely. I know a few people might have heard them, but not nearly enough to justify their awesomeness.

I don't seem to remember giving The Orb permission to vanish off the face of the earth.

Mr.Wiggles:
Probably THD For me :

That first one will be known by all the 2,000,000-odd people who bought Rock Band 2, me included.

But OT:

Probably this, although not my favourite song, it's still a rockin' tune.

EDIT: Pretty much the entire album Burn by Deep Purple, actually.

Weeping Birth

Syon:
Weeping Birth

Damn! That midget is HARDCORE!!!

Small Waves:

I don't seem to remember giving The Orb permission to vanish off the face of the earth.

Ha. I think this is probably the most innocuous theme for a song I've ever heard. And I'm not bashing them or anything, just in case my meaning is unclear. I just mean... well, it's a song about looking at clouds! I like it though.

Mr.Wiggles:

Syon:
Weeping Birth

Damn! That midget is HARDCORE!!!

I lol'd. Well done, sir. :)

Syon:
Weeping Birth

If only I enjoyed Metal... I think I'd better fit in at the Escapist if I did. But it's just not my thing.

J. Reed:

Syon:
Weeping Birth

If only I enjoyed Metal... I think I'd better fit in at the Escapist if I did. But it's just not my thing.

Fair enough. I won't hold it against you. :)

Here's a song I've been listening to a lot recently from a band that really should be so obscure!

One Without - Your Game

And here's a forgotten favourite from 40 years ago that I had never heard until a little over a week ago:

Melanie Safka - Brand New Key.

And I haven't yet gotten a positive response to this question: Has anyone heard of the game Crush, Kill, Destroy? I want to make sure that it wasn't an awesome dream or hallucination!

Syon:

J. Reed:

Fair enough. I won't hold it against you. :)

Yeah, I've tried to like it, but it's not for me. And I appreciate not being immediately condemned, even though I'm a heathen non-metalhead. Your benevolence will not be forgotten, kind sir.

And you can't really argue with that cover art. Mr. Wiggles was correct in his evaluation. That IS the most hardcore midget ever. Well, at least that I've seen.

AvsJoe:

And I haven't yet gotten a positive response to this question: Has anyone heard of the game Crush, Kill, Destroy? I want to make sure that it wasn't an awesome dream or hallucination!

Sorry, I haven't heard of it. But I did just type "Crush, Kill, Destroy" into Google, and got a flash video of a sadistic robot-cat-thing killing everyone. And pelvic-thrusting.

J. Reed:

And you can't really argue with that cover art. Mr. Wiggles was correct in his evaluation. That IS the most hardcore midget ever. Well, at least that I've seen.

It certainly is. XD

J. Reed:

AvsJoe:

Sorry, I haven't heard of it. But I did just type "Crush, Kill, Destroy" into Google, and got a flash video of a sadistic robot-cat-thing killing everyone. And pelvic-thrusting.

Yeah that's what I get too. Plus plenty of dumb videos on YouTube and a dissertation on violence and youth today for some reason.

Mr.Wiggles:
Probably THD For me :

It might take a bit of time to acclimate, but I can see myself liking this. It's just so odd! But in an original, and good way.

Isn't she adorable!? And so very talented. Personally, I prefer her live performances to studio. Just give her a guitar and a microphone and you're in for a fantastic treat.

God... I'm the only one still posting in my own thread.

This song was made known to me by my HISTORY professor. Go figure.

And... NO!!! My thread is getting pushed way far down the list!

This song is probably in my top 5, but the rest of their music kind of sucks. In my opinion.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked