Kids Shows Suck Today

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Anyone else notice this? I remember when I still watched kids shows, and they actually tried to teach kids stuff. What was cool was that these shows still appeal to me now, because they were designed to be shown to both kids and their parents, who would get little adult jokes thrown in.

But now, now kids shows just suck! I find that a lot of them are an insult to intelligence. They seem to not realize that kids can be smart. So you have absolute shit shows like Animal Mechanicals, or the show with the retarded talking dog doing utter bullshit that has no relevance or morals to speak of.

Anyone here remember Arthur? The show with the anthropomorphic animal children? Yeah, it was great back when I was a kid. But now, the newer episodes are just pathetic. I can't find anything appealing about this whatsoever.

Why do kids shows suck?

That might have something to do with the fact that you're not a kid any more and when you combine that with taking off your nostalgia glasses, stuff is going to be pretty lame.

I concur, boys' programs are nothing but overly macho cool-man 'Raarr I'm so badass' characters and girls' programs seem to give the impression that eight year olds should dress and act like they're seventeen year old whores. In short, I hate the disney channel.

Completely agree even Power Rangers and Arthur suck now.

LemonLife:
That might have something to do with the fact that you're not a kid any more and when you combine that with taking off your nostalgia glasses, stuff is going to be pretty lame.

I can still watch the older episodes of some of my favourite kids shows, and still be entertained by them. But when I watch the newer ones, they are terrible in comparison.

LemonLife:

Exactly this.

I've heard a lot of people complain about the same thing and I always tell them the same thing.

"If you were a kid now, you would enjoy it just as much. And when you grew up, you would complain about the exact same thing."

90's>00's, and now you're older, so OFC kid's shows won't be relevant to your interests

even spongebob has gone bad! and sesame street! the old episodes are legendary and are still entertaining, but newer ones are so stale and unfunny (especially spongebob, which seems, like the simpsons, to have run out of ideas)

and new kids shows are universally terrible

Soviet Heavy:

LemonLife:

I can still watch the older episodes of some of my favourite kids shows, and still be entertained by them. But when I watch the newer ones, they are terrible in comparison.

Read what LemonLife said a few more times, because I think you didn't quite get the "take off your nostalgia glasses" bit. Which is a shame, because that's absolutely right. Don't tell me your parents didn't say "your shows are shit, better watch some of the stuff I watched as a kid".

Gladion:

Soviet Heavy:

LemonLife:

Read what LemonLife said a few more times, because I think you didn't quite get the "take off your nostalgia glasses" bit. Which is a shame, because that's absolutely right. Don't tell me your parents didn't say "your shows are shit, better watch some of the stuff I watched as a kid".

No, what I meant is that I can still manage to enjoy the older episodes now, because they also had elements that appealed to older audiences as well. I can appreciate them for the nostalgia, but I can also enjoy them for the adult bonuses littered around. Its like returning to an old game you haven't played in years, and picked up on some stuff you missed the first time around.

Kids don't even really watch Cartoons anymore, it's all about their phones and fashion sense now (or video games, he he).
kids who watch cartoons nowadays are berated. The quality of cartoons nowadays is simply connected to the vast lack of viewership.
the internet is also to blame...

LemonLife:

You'd be surprised, take Animaniacs. I never watched it as a kid, I didn't even know about it, so there's no possibly way I could be nostalgic about it. When I watched it recently, I loved it, I absolutely loved it.

I think the reasons they were better in the old days were that they were aimed at adults as much as kids, and they weren't clearly being run by committee over what's 'acceptable' for the tykes.

You know what show is good? That Ben 10: Alien Force thing. It's not like an old cartoon, but it seems to try to have a plot. And am I the only one who thinks that new thing on Cartoon Network, Generator Rex, looks awesome? Adventure Time is another new thing coming out that looks good to me. Plus, it came from an animated short which was expanded, so it has to be well-animated and written. Indie stuff is awesome, is what I'm getting at.

Why kid's shows suck nowadays is because, well, why write these clever, funny shows when you can write something based off an LSD trip? Kids eat insanity up, so why give them anything else that takes actual work? Don't play an ace if a 2 will do.

Hey, remember when kids' shows referenced pop culture? You don't see that now. It's because kids today wouldn't get those jokes.

Furburt:

LemonLife:

You'd be surprised, take Animaniacs. I never watched it as a kid, I didn't even know about it, so there's no possibly way I could be nostalgic about it. When I watched it recently, I loved it, I absolutely loved it.

I think the reasons they were better in the old days were that they were aimed at adults as much as kids, and they weren't clearly being run by committee over what's 'acceptable' for the tykes.

See? This is what I mean. Stuff like Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and the classic Looney Tunes cartoons are great for kids, but they take on a great edge when you're older, because you get a lot more of the subversive jokes and dark humor littered around.

so true.

let's not forget Salute Your Shorts, Pete & Pete, Are you afraid of the dark?, hey arnold, Eerie Indiana, Goosebumps, Doug, Ren and Stimpy, etc.

Yes, kids shows have seen a rapid decline in quality over time. As more mature beings now we come to realize that a majority of those shows were total shit, and that's because all they ever did was play music, dance around and do the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, copypasta, copypasta, copypasta, copypasta, copypasta with Alfredo sauce.

I also kind of feel bad for some of the people who are on camera. You must really love your job if everyday you put on a stuffy, non-breathable, purple dinosaur suit and for fifteen minutes be the most hated person on television.

Sesamie Street on the other hand, having actually seen one in the last few days, I think is still somewhat good. It caters to both passive and active learning and is meant for the child to participate in a learning experience with their parents.

The only one I really like now is Spongebob, it can still make me laugh simply due to the nature of how things play out (seriously watch an episode of Spongebob called "Graveyard Shift".. its brilliant.) and I seriously think there are some undertones there that only adults are supposed to get.

That's the problem, older cartoons could appeal to both adults and children (obviously more-so children, as that's always been the general target audience.. but still..) and these days cartoons are made as strictly kids only shows, and they're just not funny to me.

There's nothing wrong with today's cartoons, they're just not lenient with their type of audience anymore.

Cartoon Network in the 90s was the time when cartoons were still brilliant, and watching them now is still very entertaining.

Did anyone here watch Thomas the Tank Engine as a kid? Remember that show, how awesome the trains were? How cool it was with all the little miniature electric trains running around on awesome sets?

That was 90's Thomas.

This is the abomination it has become.

CGI ruins it completely.

Soviet Heavy:

See? This is what I mean. Stuff like Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and the classic Looney Tunes cartoons are great for kids, but they take on a great edge when you're older, because you get a lot more of the subversive jokes and dark humor littered around.

The beethoven episode of Animaniacs

Beethoven: "I am the worlds greatest pianist"
Wacko: "Greatest what?"
B: "PIANIST!"
Wacko: "...Goodnight everybody!"

Hobo Joe:
I concur, boys' programs are nothing but overly macho cool-man 'Raarr I'm so badass' characters and girls' programs seem to give the impression that eight year olds should dress and act like they're seventeen year old whores. In short, I hate the disney channel.

Yeah you cant get any more right there. You should see the dipshits walking around today after they flipped to the Disney Channell. I'm going to go have a pie now.

It's because parents don't watch television with their children anymore, or at least that's what they tell the robot who writes the scripts.

Agreed. I miss the good old days, back when cartoons could have refrences you wouldn't get until you were much older. Not like now when cartoons are a load of crap, and TV stations meant for cartoon keep focusing on real-life/tweenie-based bullshit!

Granted, some of the shows that are still on are okay, but for the most part, there's just crap!

(Okay, maybe I shouldn't complain, since I'm not a kid anymore, but I still watch cartoons when I get the chance, and feel dismayed to see the way things are going...)

The only kids show I can get into today is The Clone Wars. Mostly because it is a lot more violent than most kids shows. Burning people alive? Buzz sawing with lightsabers? Zombies? Hell Yeah!

Furburt:

LemonLife:

Completely and utterly this.

Take another one, Courage the Cowardly Dog:

You could never, ever, EVER show this today.

The mixture of pedophilia/psychotic undertones today would make parents break out in a cold sweat.

Back in the 90's? They showed this shit all the time.

Because we're not in the 90's anymore and we have to always 'think of the childrens'.

Last summer, one channel had a 10th anniversary of SpongeBob celebration, showing almost every episode over a month, old ones and new ones. The new ones were largely shit, while the old ones still made me laugh all these years later. It's not just nostalgia: the quality have cartoons has gone down the tubes over the years.

Also, don't get me started on what the Disney Channel is doing to kids these days...

lwm3398:
Why kid's shows suck nowadays is because, well, why write these clever, funny shows when you can write something based off an LSD trip?

If LSD didn't inspired this, THEN WHAT THE HELL DID?!!!:

Yo Gabba Gabba: The Most Annoying and Creepy Show Ever in the History of Child TV

I agree, a majority of the shows today for Kids suck major. No wonder why children turn to adult cartoons. The only good Kid cartoons now and days are Flapjack, Spongebob, and Adventure Time (Which Looks okay), and Chowder in certain areas.

D Bones:
Ren and Stimpy

Ren and Stimpy has never been a kid's show. Ever.

AverageJoe:
The only one I really like now is Spongebob, it can still make me laugh simply due to the nature of how things play out (seriously watch an episode of Spongebob called "Graveyard Shift".. its brilliant.) and I seriously think there are some undertones there that only adults are supposed to get.

That's the problem, older cartoons could appeal to both adults and children (obviously more-so children, as that's always been the general target audience.. but still..) and these days cartoons are made as strictly kids only shows, and they're just not funny to me.

There's nothing wrong with today's cartoons, they're just not lenient with their type of audience anymore.

Cartoon Network in the 90s was the time when cartoons were still brilliant, and watching them now is still very entertaining.

My favourite Spongebob episode is the one when they try to sell chocolate.

Also anyone remeber Beast Wars and how awesome that was.

Airrazor (When seeing beaten up predacons) - Looks like the grunge look is making a return.

EDIT - Beast Wars was full of sexual innuendo, especialy the scenes with silvabolt, rattrap and blackarachnia.

Hazy:
-le SNIP-

Reminds me of the days when Cartoon Network was still worth a damn. Cow & Chicken, I Am Weasel, Invader Zim, Ren & Stimpy, Dexter's Laboratory, ... there was so much freaky shit going down in those shows, always merrily skipping along the edge of a razor balanced on a white shark's nose, and yet they constantly used material that was designed to at least get kids to ask their parents about, like how to make cheese, the Fountain of Youth, the law of gravity and so on.

Nowadays we get braindead shows about drug-addled ferrets.

aruseusx:
Also anyone remeber Beast Wars and how awesome that was.

Airrazor (When seeing beaten up predacons) - Looks like the grunge look is making a return.

Sorry for the double post, but I need to high-five this man right now.

What I really miss is Ed Edd n Eddy. That was the best cartoon of my childhood. It was like a modern 3 Stooges. And all the characters were believable and the show showed a lot of points you probably had in your child hood. But now they still own the show but never air it. The worse crime of all.

Hazy:
Completely and utterly this.

Take another one, Courage the Cowardly Dog:

You could never, ever, EVER show this today.

The mixture of pedophilia/psychotic undertones today would make parents break out in a cold sweat.

Back in the 90's? They showed this shit all the time.

Dear god, I remember that episode! Freaky as hell now, but back then, I laughed my ass off.

I remember Muppets. Oh god how much I loved Muppets. Cookie Monster FTW.

Sonicron:

Hazy:
-le SNIP-

Reminds me of the days when Cartoon Network was still worth a damn. Cow & Chicken, I Am Weasel, Invader Zim, Ren & Stimpy, Dexter's Laboratory, ... there was so much freaky shit going down in those shows, always merrily skipping along the edge of a razor balanced on a white shark's nose, and yet they constantly used material that was designed to at least get kids to ask their parents about, like how to make cheese, the Fountain of Youth, the law of gravity and so on.

Nowadays we get braindead shows about drug-addled ferrets.

I totally agree with you.Nowadays the shows are themed too child like,no more adult-themes.Oh the good old days of dexter,edd ed n eddy,johny bravo and so on.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked