Kids Shows Suck Today

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Sylocat:
You can't tell me that I only like Ghostwriter, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers, Duck Tales, Tale Spin, Square One TV, and The Joy of Painting because I'm looking at them through the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia. These were GOOD SHOWS, and you can't find anything like them in the homogenized landscape of modern-day American TV.

Sadly, now that the American studio system is so bloated and inefficient, everything has to be committee-run, and aimed squarely at the lowest common denominator, to the exclusion of all other demographics.

You sir, are win. Ghostwriter, Bill Nye, Carmen Sandiego, Joy of Painting are still among my favorite shows today. I would add to this list: Rocko's Modern Life, Arthur, Animaniacs, Doug and Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century (It's like Carmen Sandiego but about Sherlock Holmes. In the 22nd Century.) Oh and let's not forget Gargoyles. I'm pretty sure that's still the only animated kid's show to ever tackle gun violence as an issue.

I will say, the current generation is not entirely bereft of good kids shows, you just have to dig much deeper to get through the crap to find a gem. Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Emperor's New School, and Between the Lions are really good.

Hi 20 and can watch old classics my parents watch and f'ing LOL on the floor. My mom thought I lost my mind when I was laughing at wil E. Coyote failing to get dinner. It's not that we aren't kids it's that they aren't ment to do anything but crap.

TV nowadays scks in general, but kids telly is absolutely dire.

"Kids" shows were much better back when there wasn't all this BS about the shows' makers sheltering kids from "bad influences." THAT'S WHY THEY HAVE PARENTS, YOU FUCKTARDS (the developers, I mean).

We used to watch shit where a duck and a rabbit would try to convince a hunter that it was the other species' season, and the duck would always end up getting shot.
What do we have now? Shows where the most horrible thing to happen is a retarded fucking fox taking something from somebody, and he can be "stopped" by telling him "No swiping."

Tyler Halvorsen:
the line has to be drawn when we have the cookie monster becoming the vegimonster....its a crime against childhood.

That was the moment I lost all faith in Jim Henson's dream. If he were alive today, whoever thought of that utterly retarded idea would have been fired.

Its unnatural. Who will be next? Will Bert need to move out from his mentally handicapped brother Ernie because parents think that they are homosexuals?

-EDIT-
I'm surprised I forgot to mention Art Attack! That show was great for kids, they actually learned something!

Except, that talking bust always scared me....

GrizzlyCow:

Prove it. List all of the shows of the 90s, and list all of the shows of the 00s. Then create a summary of each item listed, judging objectively. Make a diagram. Now, if your diagram shows a clear correlation of time passing and kids shows' quality decreasing, then your point is proven and a fact. If your diagram does not prove it or you refuse to comply, you are counted as wrong.

Do not throw around the word objectively. Most things are subjective, and quality of Kids Shows are one of those things.

Actually, there's no such thing as true objectivity at all when it comes to any kind of entertainment. I was using it in the context of seeing many old shows now, which are much better than any show I've seen today. Of course it's entirely subjective, so obviously when I said objective I meant from a (relatively) neutral standpoint.

LemonLife:
That might have something to do with the fact that you're not a kid any more and when you combine that with taking off your nostalgia glasses, stuff is going to be pretty lame.

This, pretty much. You'll still be entertained by old shows because you used to love them.

Is there any Saturday morning TV shows any more? I remember SM:TV, then Ministry of Mayhem when I was still young enough to watch morning TV and CD:UK for the older audience when they woke up.

Maybe it's just that we've grown up and the shows on now only seem stupid because were now becoming adults...

Mackheath:
TV nowadays scks in general, but kids telly is absolutely dire.

True I try to watch Nick....yeah iCarly sucks, cartoon network...ruined (i missed when that station was about showing OLD CLASSICS although they over play tom and jerry to death) no funny shows that seems like they could be real but is still crazy (like ed edd and eddy I could see me as Edd and my friend as Ed or Eddy getting treated like a baby by his older bro (yeah that still happens)). But yeah you have a show chodder where...what the hell is that purple thing they only funny thing is the commercial where he is going PEPPER SPRAY THAT SOUNDS DELICIOUS and gets sprayed. And I'm not going oh I can't enjoy kids shows cause I'm not a kid and I see my show as only good. Although I do love that 6teen thing on cartoon network XD, and now I miss as told by ginger...

i do agree that there is a decline in childrens shows but then again i watched things like bill bye, ren & stimpy, loony toons, and a few others. Mostly its the quantity of shows that are available now. When i was like 5 it wasnt uncommen for people not to have cable and there were no satalites so there were very few channels that showed cartoons and childrens shows so their wasnt as many shows as today. Im sure the percentage of good shows that both children and their parents has gone down but its also much much more noticable because of the sheer volume and access to these shows that children have today.

There never was THAT many shows that both children and adults watched and were created for that purpose. Their is probably very close to the same number but the number of kids shows has simply increased about 100 times from when i was a child.

I miss Samurai Jack.

Am I the only one who likes Chowder and Flapjack?

RaNDM G:
I miss Samurai Jack.

Samurai Jack, and Clone Wars, were two of the best Genndy series ever made.

i agree with only two exemptions: avatar: the last airbender and flap jack. flap jack is the new ren and stimpy.

I agree with you completely, even now, if my brother is watching a show, and he gets up, i change the channel to watch some Tom & Jerry, Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, etc. I've seen every episode a billion times(hyperbole), but watching re-runs(again) is still better than the new stuff is. Kids shows just aren't made the same way they used to be...

LemonLife:
That might have something to do with the fact that you're not a kid any more and when you combine that with taking off your nostalgia glasses, stuff is going to be pretty lame.

For most of the entertainment stuff out there that may be true but if you compare something like Bill Nye the Science guy with any of the "educational" crap out there you don't have a lot of room for any sort of bias. What our young ones have today is impulsive drivel designed to captivate their tiny little minds but do little else to them since programing these days is always done to the lowest common demonenator in order to avoid alienating anyone.

Bring back the amazing Batman and Spiderman cartoons! They were a billion times better than the "cartoons" on TV today!

Gargoyles
Teen Titans
Last Airbender
and a few very select others.

These of course are completely overpowered by shows like spongebob and camp lazlow.

Outright Villainy:

GrizzlyCow:

Prove it. List all of the shows of the 90s, and list all of the shows of the 00s. Then create a summary of each item listed, judging objectively. Make a diagram. Now, if your diagram shows a clear correlation of time passing and kids shows' quality decreasing, then your point is proven and a fact. If your diagram does not prove it or you refuse to comply, you are counted as wrong.

Do not throw around the word objectively. Most things are subjective, and quality of Kids Shows are one of those things.

Actually, there's no such thing as true objectivity at all when it comes to any kind of entertainment. I was using it in the context of seeing many old shows now, which are much better than any show I've seen today. Of course it's entirely subjective, so obviously when I said objective I meant from a (relatively) neutral standpoint.

Relatively neutral my ass.

Okay. I'll give you that you can't be objective, so make the list and be unbiased. Use your "neutral" standpoint and judge them and compile that list. If you can't, admit that you are biased or don't use the words neutral or objective.

Grounogeos:
"Kids" shows were much better back when there wasn't all this BS about the shows' makers sheltering kids from "bad influences." THAT'S WHY THEY HAVE PARENTS, YOU FUCKTARDS (the developers, I mean).

We used to watch shit where a duck and a rabbit would try to convince a hunter that it was the other species' season, and the duck would always end up getting shot.
What do we have now? Shows where the most horrible thing to happen is a retarded fucking fox taking something from somebody, and he can be "stopped" by telling him "No swiping."

I posted something about this on page 3. You're comparing a show three years-old watch to Looney Toons and acting like you have a valid point. If you want to compare, choose shows that target the same demographic. Y'know, like Ben 10. Now you get a comparison as so:

What do we have now? A boy who can transform into about thirteen different aliens and battles against a big bag menace. The show always had copious amounts of violence....

Weird, when we compare them...

Matu Flp Krwfe:
if you compare something like Bill Nye the Science guy with any of the "educational" crap out there you don't have a lot of room for any sort of bias.

Bill Nye wasn't funny, and he never touched on the subject of evolution. I do admit he had a kick ass theme, though.

Sue me for posting three times in a row, but..

Was Looney Toons even a kid's show? I mean seriously!

They always sucked, you're just not a kid anymore.

GrizzlyCow:

You know there's a thing called an edit button, right?

GrizzlyCow:

Yes, it was. During WW2, it was used for propaganda, as a way to get kids to root for their soldiers with clever gags and cartoony behaviour. It has always been for kids as well as adults.

GrizzlyCow:

Okay. I'll give you that you can't be objective, so make the list and be unbiased. Use your "neutral" standpoint and judge them and compile that list. If you can't, admit that you are biased or don't use the words neutral or objective.

Oho, that's clever, because you know I'm not going to bother with such a silly request. Or would you? You're not seeming to grasp how words differ in different contexts either, in this case objective meaning I did not see these shows when I was younger, but liked them anwyay. I can't say the same about anything recent I've seen. Your pedanticism about language will not win you this argument, because language is flexible. I've stated my opinion about the topic with no sense of nostalgia, so I commented as such.

Remember kids, for every Gargoyles and Kim Possible there was a Butt Ugly Martians.

GrizzlyCow:

Matu Flp Krwfe:
if you compare something like Bill Nye the Science guy with any of the "educational" crap out there you don't have a lot of room for any sort of bias.

Bill Nye wasn't funny, and he never touched on the subject of evolution. I do admit he had a kick ass theme, though.

Maybe that's because there aren't a lot of "try it at home" experiments for natural selection that you can do with household items. Also, biology's not really his field. Dude's also a mechanical engineer, biology's not his main field of focus.

Anyway: http://digg.com/general_sciences/Bill_Nye_Angers_Some_Creationists_During_Lecture

I fondly remember

Batman the Animated Series
Superman the Animated series
Gargoyles
Ed, Edd and Eddy
Justice League
Spiderman
X-Men
Gundam Wing
Loony Tunes
Animaniacs
Static Shock
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Beast Wars
Swat Kats
the list of classics goes on and on...

You will be lucky to find one or two of those still airing on basic cable children's channels at a time when someone other than an insomniac will be watching.

kids show suck because they have to be as politically correct and non-offense as possible, so all the good bits had to be cut out to keep from offending someone.

on another note Thomas the tank engine used to star Ringo Star and comedian George Carlin(this one struck as odd)

bartman675:
kids show suck because they have to be as politically correct and non-offense as possible, so all the good bits had to be cut out to keep from offending someone.

on another note Thomas the tank engine used to star Ringo Star and comedian George Carlin(this one struck as odd)

After George Carlin and Ringo stopped narrating, the show became shit. Alec Baldwin was a terrible narrator!

Outright Villainy:

GrizzlyCow:

Oho, that's clever, because you know I'm not going to bother with such a silly request. Or would you? You're not seeming to grasp how words differ in different contexts either, in this case objective meaning I did not see these shows when I was younger, but liked them anwyay. I can't say the same about anything recent I've seen. Your pedanticism about language will not win you this argument, because language is flexible. I've stated my opinion about the topic with no sense of nostalgia, so I commented as such.

I didn't think I was being clever at all. I just thought since you (and everybody else going on about how today's Kids Shows suck) were making the statement, you should be the ones who are burdened by the proof. Actually, that's not true. I hated the fact that you used the word objective on this highly subjective issue. This is a matter of opinion and tastes. Because people's taste differ from person to person, there is no neutral ground. I would've explained this sooner, but I like messing with you.

P.S.
I would bother compiling a list and my opinion if I felt I was the one burdened by evidence.

ThrobbingEgo:
Remember kids, for every Gargoyles and Kim Possible there was a Butt Ugly Martians.

GrizzlyCow:

Matu Flp Krwfe:

Maybe that's because there aren't a lot of "try it at home" experiments for natural selection that you can do with household items. Also, biology's not really his field. Dude's also a mechanical engineer, biology's not his main field of focus.

Anyway: http://digg.com/general_sciences/Bill_Nye_Angers_Some_Creationists_During_Lecture

I was serious on the not funny part, but everything else was a joke. Maybe I should be more careful of what I type.

I like some older kids shows (kids shows that are old, not shows for older kids), they are fun to watch now because you think "Whoever made this MUST have been on illegal drugs."
Catdog is a prime example.

Kim Possible, anyone? Grrrrr.

I think a lot of the content of the shows reflects the shortening attention span of today's youth. There are some that are based around learning (Dora the annoying Explorer, for example), but for the most part... it's like they're just on for the sake of killing time and keeping your kids out of the way while you make dinner or something.

But then there was crap like Ren and Stimpy, which I LOVED. Mind you, I don't think that was a kids show, per se...

Whatever. I miss Sesame Street.

I think its more of a lower quantity problem more than a quality one. there are just fewer good ones, I'm 21 and I still watch cartoons because i think they are still good. The problem is Saturday morning cartoons are more or less dead, nick and disney are trying to appeal to tweens, and cartoon network comes out with less stuff then they used to. heres a list of recent cartoons I enjoy.

El Tigre (completely over looked ended up being canceled after two awesome sessions)
The Spectacular Spiderman (best Spiderman cartoon ever but over looked because of 90's nostalgia)
Avatar Last Airbender (most watch show in cartoon network history, which is great)
Flapjack (Enjoyable off the wall comedy)
Phenios and Ferb (Very funny without ever trying to use cheep tricks like acting random or be edgy)
Total Drama Island (surprisingly funny despite being about teens in a reality show)
Batman Brave and the Bold (bringing back the silver age of comics is just awesome)
Star Wars Clone Wars (Good addition to the star wars francise)
Sponge Bob (Hugely popular among mulitple age groups)

Cartoons now a days have had an improvement from 5 years ago, so I think there back on the rise. It may not be quite as good as the 90s, but there still plenty of shows that kids today can watch that have quite a bit of quality.

bartman675:
George Carlin(this one struck as odd)

You haven't seen much Chowder or Flapjack, have you?

They can get very "offensive" at times, especially Flapjack.

internetzealot1:
Am I the only one who likes Chowder and Flapjack?

I like those shows. They are some of the few good shows left on TV.

Legendsmith:
I like some older kids shows (kids shows that are old, not shows for older kids), they are fun to watch now because you think "Whoever made this MUST have been on illegal drugs."
Catdog is a prime example.

I remember when their mouse friend ordered a killer extermination robot to rid their house of pests.

"Exterminate and Destroy!" in a bad Governator accent.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked