Kids Shows Suck Today

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

For some reason it seems that the TV people are just trying to appeal to children's fascination with shiny objects and annoying sounds. Animaniacs was out there, but it could still be enjoyed by adults. I still get a laugh out of it when someone brings it up.

Kids shows today are disgusting, flashy and provide no option for thought.

Anyone remember the original Batman cartoon? Now didn't that challenge you mentally and morally? That was a good show. The new Batman, tomorrow or whatever it's called is OK. My little cousin watches that and I approved when he showed it to me. All the other shows are just balls though.

Sylocat:
You can't tell me that I only like Ghostwriter, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers, Duck Tales, Tale Spin, Square One TV, and The Joy of Painting because I'm looking at them through the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia. These were GOOD SHOWS, and you can't find anything like them in the homogenized landscape of modern-day American TV.

Sadly, now that the American studio system is so bloated and inefficient, everything has to be committee-run, and aimed squarely at the lowest common denominator, to the exclusion of all other demographics.

Yes exactly, you are correct sir.

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack exists. Your argument is invalid.

I once spent an entire friggin' day just watching this show.

OMG YES everything from Arthur which was pretty great to like all the cartoon cartoons from cartoon network with dexters lab etc :D THEY WERE GREAT kids miss out these days really.

GrizzlyCow:

Matu Flp Krwfe:
if you compare something like Bill Nye the Science guy with any of the "educational" crap out there you don't have a lot of room for any sort of bias.

Bill Nye wasn't funny.

Did I say or every imply that he was? No, but he did run a pretty fine children's television show that actually tried to expand our young ones' horizons rather than cutting them off with some sort of focus tested hour of the PBS diversity bunch, teaching kids life lessons that they would be getting from their parents if they weren't so bloody apathetic about the raising of their children.

Klarinette:
Kim Possible, anyone? Grrrrr.

I think a lot of the content of the shows reflects the shortening attention span of today's youth. There are some that are based around learning (Dora the annoying Explorer, for example), but for the most part... it's like they're just on for the sake of killing time and keeping your kids out of the way while you make dinner or something.

I miss Sesame Street.

The main point of cartoons are to be entertaining. Like I mentioned on an above post, people have different tastes, so lets not get into much about that.

Cartoons aiming at kids (specifically children above five years-old) know that kids have more interests today than they did ten years ago. Y'know, video games? The reason it seems for killing time is that computers, cell phones, and video games are occupying their time. I mean Kids Shows are competing with video games and computers for children interest, so the educational value of the program goes down as their fun and interesting value goes up.

(Here's an interesting point about Dora the Explorer: It is for extremely young children who needs things repeated at them to hold their attention. To be exact, children around three years-old; it is a niche show like that. Unlike other Kids Shows, it is not trying to appeal to a larger demographic. No older kids or preteens. Heck, most children six and up are sick of it.)

Your opinion of the matter is actually the fact of the matter. Today Kids Shows, and by kids I mean over five years-old, are more aimed for senseless entertainment (like most video games, hmm) than actual intellectual pursuit. Odd right?

Matu Flp Krwfe:

GrizzlyCow:

Matu Flp Krwfe:
if you compare something like Bill Nye the Science guy with any of the "educational" crap out there you don't have a lot of room for any sort of bias.

Bill Nye wasn't funny.

Did I say or every imply that he was? No, but he did run a pretty fine children's television show that actually tried to expand our young ones' horizons than cutting them off with some sort of focus tested hour of the diversity bunch (AKA today's children's programing.)

Maybe if parent's weren't so bloody apathetic these days we wouldn't need the glowing rectangle in the TV room to teach children the social concepts that would normally be assimilated through effective parenting. Then we might just be able to empart just a sliver of the past few centuries of scientific knowledge to bring the unenlightened masses out of the dark-age stupor that their over-entitling parent's put them in a generation ago in appealing to emotion rather than reason through their social initiatives which have ultimately defined the do-nothing attitude of the modern world.

I misinterpreted the intent of your post then.

Also, I have to agree with your post, but your post have more to do with today's inept teachers and parents rather than today's television for children.

senorcromas:

His complaints are Six Hundred Times MORE valid because of that damn show!

OT: Digimon was the perfect kids Anime, and Medabots probably was as well. I don't remember it too well, or last night. Who's house is this anyway?

Calumon: I was on TV! Then Jack told me to get off it.

drisky:

Batman Brave and the Bold (bringing back the silver age of comics is just awesome)

I have seen two episodes of that show. One was highly disappointing except for the presence of a near suicidal aquaman but the other was amazing because of the most hilariously over the top set up for a batman one liner ever. You have not lived until you have seen Batman spout the one liner "The hammer of Justice is unisex" while piloting a giant transforming mechsuit.

Kids shows do suck these days. Especially the ones on playhouse disney.... or Pop.... especially pop.
I think its because people are trying to be more educational and not weird with anything to do with kids because they think its good for them. This of course is wrong, school is for education, thats why its there. To teach you the things you dont want to learn but should. TV is a form of entertainment. It should be entertaining and teach you interesting things if anything..... and have lots of explosions and spandex (in that order)

Tommy T.:
If I had kids, I'd never allow them to watch that shit. TBH I don't think a child would even want to watch that.

They'll watch for the funny dog doing charades to save his family. it's also funny in a twisted kind of way. Plus, kids like to be scared and this cartoon's scary moments are pretty tame.

Catkid906:

senorcromas:

OT: Digimon was the perfect kids Anime, and Medabots probably was as well. I don't remember it too well, or last night. Who's house is this anyway?

Them's fightin' words!

also, I thought Digimon was lame.

It's not all bad. Not all kids' shows suck.

Give it a chance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23oH1Gie11I

I agree, those shows have just been degraded but good shows on cartoon network for example such as Johnny Test or 6teen or whatever are actually good. I dont watch much tv anymore but those shows were actually good

reading rainbow was good. but don't take my word for it...

LemonLife:
That might have something to do with the fact that you're not a kid any more and when you combine that with taking off your nostalgia glasses, stuff is going to be pretty lame.

Thats deep man. Real deep.

Annddd somewhat based on Lemons idea I still find the good in the new things...Except disney.

AWDMANOUT:
It's not all bad. Not all kids' shows suck.

Give it a chance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23oH1Gie11I

I admit, that is one kids show I do watch. It is incredibly violent for a children's show, which is probably why I enjoy it. Cad Bane is a fucking killer.

Clone Wars FTW

TempestZ:
I remember Muppets. Oh god how much I loved Muppets. Cookie Monster FTW.

I think 'they' are trying to change cookie monster to eathier carrot monster or vegi monster.

OT: The only thing i like is the old Spongebob episodes, I use to watch Camp Lazlo, Ren & Stimpy, and Roco's Modern Life. Every thing now a day kind of suck ass *cough cough* Disney channel.

EDIT: Okay I forgot about Chowder and The Marvoulus(spelling) Misadventures of Flapjack.

senorcromas:

Catkid906:

senorcromas:

Them's fightin' words!

Calumon: I'll fight you! Put 'em up!

Soviet Heavy:

Legendsmith:
I like some older kids shows (kids shows that are old, not shows for older kids), they are fun to watch now because you think "Whoever made this MUST have been on illegal drugs."
Catdog is a prime example.

I remember when their mouse friend ordered a killer extermination robot to rid their house of pests.

"Exterminate and Destroy!" in a bad Governator accent.

Ah yes! I remember that episode. It was great.

I personally like Flapjack and Chowder.

You're just not a kid anymore. They aren't trying to please you.

GrizzlyCow:

Klarinette:
Kim Possible, anyone? Grrrrr.

I think a lot of the content of the shows reflects the shortening attention span of today's youth. There are some that are based around learning (Dora the annoying Explorer, for example), but for the most part... it's like they're just on for the sake of killing time and keeping your kids out of the way while you make dinner or something.

I miss Sesame Street.

The main point of cartoons are to be entertaining. Like I mentioned on an above post, people have different tastes, so lets not get into much about that.

Cartoons aiming at kids (specifically children above five years-old) know that kids have more interests today than they did ten years ago. Y'know, video games? The reason it seems for killing time is that computers, cell phones, and video games are occupying their time. I mean Kids Shows are competing with video games and computers for children interest, so the educational value of the program goes down as their fun and interesting value goes up.

(Here's an interesting point about Dora the Explorer: It is for extremely young children who needs things repeated at them to hold their attention. To be exact, children around three years-old; it is a niche show like that. Unlike other Kids Shows, it is not trying to appeal to a larger demographic. No older kids or preteens. Heck, most children six and up are sick of it.)

Your opinion of the matter is actually the fact of the matter. Today Kids Shows, and by kids I mean over five years-old, are more aimed for senseless entertainment (like most video games, hmm) than actual intellectual pursuit. Odd right?

That's... kind of a downer, actually. *shrug* Oh well. I'll just take solace in the fact that I actually learned stuff while watching TV as a kid. I really miss Sesame Street now.

And as for Dora, I'm all for teaching little kids different languages and I don't mind the repetition, but does she have to yell? I mean, really. Indoor voice.

Catkid906:

senorcromas:

Catkid906:

Them's fightin' words!

Calumon: I'll fight you! Put 'em up!

Must... resist... urge... to troll...

GRAH!
I WILL KICK YOUR NIPPLES OFF, CALUMON!

LemonLife:
That might have something to do with the fact that you're not a kid any more and when you combine that with taking off your nostalgia glasses, stuff is going to be pretty lame.

This. Kid shows always sucked. They seemed better when we were kids because we were kids.

Soviet Heavy:
the show with the retarded talking dog doing utter bullshit that has no relevance or morals to speak of.

I personally hate it when shows attempt to have morals. I hated it when I was a kid, and I still hate it today. I just want something fun to watch, simple as that.

I do however, agree that modern Kids shows are crap with only a very few exceptions.

What the hell happened to shows like Dexter, Johny Bravo, that cartoon with the Samurai, Batman the animated series, Invader Zim, Gargoyles, Tiny Toon adventures, Animaniacs, and all of those great shows that use to be on Cartoon network?

Fuck whoever decided that all of those old shows were "to violent" or whatever.

mjc0961:

LemonLife:

This. Kid shows always sucked. They seemed better when we were kids because we were kids.

I don't think so, every now and then I watch a few episodes (or in some cases, buy whole seasons) of the shows I use to watch as a kid and they are a million times better then the crap they show today. The jokes are better, the characters are more complex (most of the time) and more interesting, the stories were better overall (because the writers actually cared at the time), they were simply much, much better shows in almost every single way.

Arkhangelsk:
I remember there being a gerbil song. But I can't remember the words. >.<

Unless you were being sarcastic:

It's Doc Gerbil's world, it's Doc Gerbil's world, it's Doc Gerbil's world... :D

The incredibly infectious song is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am3i4tzURGY

Soviet Heavy:
Anyone else notice this? I remember when I still watched kids shows, and they actually tried to teach kids stuff. What was cool was that these shows still appeal to me now, because they were designed to be shown to both kids and their parents, who would get little adult jokes thrown in.

But now, now kids shows just suck! I find that a lot of them are an insult to intelligence. They seem to not realize that kids can be smart. So you have absolute shit shows like Animal Mechanicals, or the show with the retarded talking dog doing utter bullshit that has no relevance or morals to speak of.

Anyone here remember Arthur? The show with the anthropomorphic animal children? Yeah, it was great back when I was a kid. But now, the newer episodes are just pathetic. I can't find anything appealing about this whatsoever.

Why do kids shows suck?

its because they were not "kid shows" they were family shows as in to be watched by different age groups.
Animanics did it better than anyone.

GrizzlyCow:
I was serious on the not funny part, but everything else was a joke. Maybe I should be more careful of what I type.

If that's your only problem, well, your millage may vary. I found (and still find) Bill Nye to be very entertaining, if not laugh out loud funny. If you're interested in "do it at home" science and maybe a little education, you could do a lot worse than Bill Nye.

Hazy:

Furburt:

LemonLife:

You'd be surprised, take Animaniacs. I never watched it as a kid, I didn't even know about it, so there's no possibly way I could be nostalgic about it. When I watched it recently, I loved it, I absolutely loved it.

I think the reasons they were better in the old days were that they were aimed at adults as much as kids, and they weren't clearly being run by committee over what's 'acceptable' for the tykes.

Completely and utterly this.

Take another one, Courage the Cowardly Dog:

You could never, ever, EVER show this today.

The mixture of pedophilia/psychotic undertones today would make parents break out in a cold sweat.

Back in the 90's? They showed this shit all the time.

pedophillia? i thought it had more of a beastiality feel since he did mostly animals.

All i have to say is Super Hero Squad. Best hidden adult jokes i have ever seen in a kids show.

That and Cat Dog. I miss Cat Dog.

you know what's a good show, Venture Bros. let's just have our kids watch that. There, now we're all happy.

i think me still watching cartoons has kept me in the loop longer.
i have to say thanks to cartoon network for showing the old cartoons on tv while i was a kid, and watching things in chronological order- the 1st mickey mouse b&w cartoons on tv, then the disney movies, then old hanna barbera cartoons, then the newer cartoon cartoons and the 90s ones, then 90s-00 anime.

it kind of gave me the feeling of the animation "flow" and i formed a less biased opinion about these cartoons.

yes, i tend to find cartoons these days kind of moronic, though i'm not cutting the old ones any slack either.
some were indeed terrible and sometimes i asked myself why i even liked them (like captain planet), while some were obvious rip-offs i let slide when i was a kid (biker mice from mars, anyone?)

anyway, i do understand why kids these days like what they see,kids like EVERYTHING that's on tv. what upsets me is that they don't show the old cartoons anymore.
kids have no actual selection of cartoons to watch from and choose a serious favorite.

it's like letting your child listen to only 3 songs all his life then ask him to say which song is the best out of 3000 picks, 2997 of which he's never heard of.

Ultratwinkie:

Hazy:

Furburt:

LemonLife:

You'd be surprised, take Animaniacs. I never watched it as a kid, I didn't even know about it, so there's no possibly way I could be nostalgic about it. When I watched it recently, I loved it, I absolutely loved it.

I think the reasons they were better in the old days were that they were aimed at adults as much as kids, and they weren't clearly being run by committee over what's 'acceptable' for the tykes.

Completely and utterly this.

Take another one, Courage the Cowardly Dog:

You could never, ever, EVER show this today.

The mixture of pedophilia/psychotic undertones today would make parents break out in a cold sweat.

Back in the 90's? They showed this shit all the time.

pedophillia? i thought it had more of a beastiality feel since he did mostly animals.

I always interpreted the very petite and innocent look of Fred's lover to symbolize the youthful innocence of a child, and in turn, to that of a pedophile's love of a minor.

But to each their own.

I don't like how they are censoring everything know, the cookie monster can't eat as much cookies anymore because of the child obesity, Yosemite Sam can't shoot guns, Speedy Gonzales is a "stereo type" I want good cartoons back on!
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ej1mn2CyaOYV9M:http://www.pixelbath.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/cookie-monster-wtf.jpg

Fightgarr:
Hey! Guess what? Kids shows have always sucked. Why? Because they're made for kids. If kids like them, who the hell are you to say they shouldn't because shows were better 'back in the day' when you would watch X-Men. As someone who was obsessed with feeling nostalgic for several years, I went back and watched pretty much every show I loved as a kid. And you know what? They were all fucking. Terrible. The 90s did not have really good cartoons just because you grew up then.

Dyme:
Honestly, Kids Shows also sucked when we were young. We just didn't realize.

Batman says you're wrong. Who are you to disagree with the Goddamn Batman?

Tyler Halvorsen:
the line has to be drawn when we have the cookie monster becoming the vegimonster....its a crime against childhood.

...No. I refuse to believe this. No. No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO! You are lying! Lying! No matter how stupid moral guardians are, they could not have possibly decided to do... that to Cookie Monster. It's... just...

I think that kids shows these days suck because we are not kids. The ones that don't suck are family shows (i.e. animaniacs).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked