Subvert a fantasy cliche/stereotype

Pages PREV 1 2

The female "badass" barbarian heroine gets killed by an arrow in the tit because her armor is pointless and tiny.

Plus, she's hairy, slow, and unpleasant looking.

Majinary:
The plucky young hero not actually being an orphan/product of neglect(coughAshKetchum)/raised by wizards or something, and constantly gets worried phone calls from mom, and occasionally has to go back to starting point for a quiet family dinner.

In Mother 2 the main character mus constantly call his mother at home or he will get homesick. Errr... but you never see his father. What is it with japan and parents? always the single parent family bull. or you just never meet one parent...

HeySeansOnline:
Nobody uses any goddamn swords, at the very least the hero is not allowed a sword, take It a step further and everybody is issued projectile weapon instead of some insane meelee weapon.

In Mother two there is only one sword in the game that only one character can use and it is barely possible to get. Also and some points all party members get weapons you can "Shoot"

The most badass character in the story has the highest kill count, but the smallest weapon of the group.

-or-

The guy with the huge sword gets killed by falling and the sword crushing both his lungs.

I am Omega:
Elves aren't completly one with nature. How about some steampunk elves?

I knooooow. Yahtzee even pointed it out: why are elves always these billowy effeminate tree gropers just because that's how Tolkien imagined them? Before that guy, elves were everything from ugly little gremlins to a subset of weird humans. I'd love to see elves with less nature going on; not because their hippy thing doesn't suit them, but because it doesn't have to be that way.

Kuranesno7:
have the hero be a bisexual hedonist who starts off on the quest with the intention of finding new things to screw and becoming noble afterward.

Captain Jack Harkness? Well, "noble" ain't the word. COE pushed the "antihero" a little far, I think.

Speaking of Torchwood, if anyone's familiar, it makes a habit out of subverting the typical tropes, particularly "everyone can and will die, and it might be a horribly unfulfilled death with no final moment of glory, because that's how life works, bitches." One of my favorite things about it, after "everyone is bi!"

Behold, the generic warrior character, exposed to realistic story timeline! (What do you think, some characters have to age over a series of 10 or so books!)

If you don't know, he's from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series

This entire thread is secretly an homage to Kurt Vonnegut.

JRPG protagonists are effeminate men.

Make a JRPG where the main character is a mixture of Clint Eastwood, Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, and Ash Williams. Give him a chainsaw and dual M60's.

Ahh, but then how would the "typical gamer" "project" their nerdy "personalities" onto the "humanistic lead?" Don't you know that nobody plays JRPGs but skinny pale teenage boys with secret hidden strength inside them??!?

A Black Elf

I'll use a story I made up for some examples. I hope they're good ones:

The female main character doesn't scream or go crazy if someone sees her naked. With one guy, however, she always hits him. Usually in animes, guys just have to see the strap of a bra and the girl screams and covers herself in panic.

I also have no main villain. The "antagonist" is just doing whatever she can to kidnap the main guy character. And it's not because he has "a secret power"; she just likes him for some unknown reason. And the true villain turns out to hate romance, so you just have to get it on in front of him and you win. Usually there has to be a big epic fight where the heroes might get hurt.

Also usually in anime's when there's five times more girls than guys, several of the girls are after him. Quite a few girls are after this guy, but the majority turn a blind eye to him. Plus only two are really fighting over him.

Half way through the fantasy story, Aliens invade.

Bonus points if the fantasy story has thus far only dealt with Orcs, Elves and whatnot, and the invaders are human! D=

For once I'd like to see a fantasy game that took place in real Medieval Europe. Instead of boring old Cyrodil or Middle Earth, what if there was magic and dragons and demons in the real Middle ages? Who cares about the dwarves and the elves when you could fight agains or alongside Vikings or Knights Templar? Imagine flinging fireballs at Frenchmen, or defending Notre Dame from a fire-breathing dragon. It would be awesome.

someone bringing a sword to a gunfight and actualy getting mown down, I mean realisticly when would a close range weapon be useful in that situation (mostly looking in the JRPG direction here) its a small complaint that i can look aside if a game/book/movie draws me in enough to suspend disbeleif long enough, but still...

Government subversion- The hero is from an aggressively expansionist and powerful empire fighting against nature-worshippers holding out in some of the last vestiges of independent nations outside the Empire.

Party subversion- Your party is filled to the brim with devil-may-care mercenaries, assassins, and just outright psychopaths. You have one character in your party who is a kindly warrior monk who is good-aligned and only fights in what he perceives to be defense, however he has a murderous streak brought out when he wants to take revenge and if a player has the right influence on him he can eventually turn him into a murderous psychopath.

yes I just subverted the token evil teammate.

The hero is an experienced soldier with a long service in the kingdom's army, one of his party members is a plucky farmboy with vastly growing skill, even if he doesn't become the big hero, he's still strong in his own right.

The prophecy of the hero who will defeat the darkness at the cost of his own life is total bullshit and the hero spits in the face of destiny and the weird old man who predicted it after he cuts off the head of the dark lord, he marries his love interest has fifteen kids and dies peacefully in old age as the ruler of one of the most powerful kingdoms in the world. Put that in your pipe and smoke it weird old guy who predicts crap.

The hero saves the kingdom and defeats an evil that will never rise again and brings about a century of stability to the world before it has to go to war again with conventional enemies (i.e. a rival kingdom or a civil war rather than Lord Evil and his orcish hordes), in other words, no sequel hook.

The villain is anything other than a baby-eating sociopath who is too evil to actually exist.

Elves are nowhere near smarter than humans and in history were in fact just as bad if not worse than humans when they were in power.

The setting is anything other than pseudo Middle Ages, or better yet, a Middle Ages kingdom other than England. How about a barely-cohesive gaggle of nation-states like the Holy Roman Empire? Or an exceptionally enlightened and educated kingdom like those of the Islamic Golden Age.

((not necessarily an atheist strawman, just a different take on things)) The gods the world worshipped, whether benevolent or malevolent all turn out to be false or simply uncaring about the world (like in Deism) so it turns out that everything that has been done in their name was simply people being people.

1)A game where you play a scheming bastard who secretly wants to overthrow his king. You need to betray everybody, rack up some money by beating up little kids, and summon a demon from hell to destroy the world. And no, overlord didn't succeed to do that.

2)A game where humans, with american voice actor, invade a desert full of orcs. The orcs are supposedly summoning demons, but the real goal of the invasion is to grab a lot of natural resources. You play as the orc warlord, a great tactician that manages to vaporise the entire invasion force, and then decides to take the war to the human kingdom.

Those would make for some pretty fun games.

doodger:
1)A game where you play a scheming bastard who secretly wants to overthrow his king. You need to betray everybody, rack up some money by beating up little kids, and summon a demon from hell to destroy the world. And no, overlord didn't succeed to do that.

2)A game where humans, with american voice actor, invade a desert full of orcs. The orcs are supposedly summoning demons, but the real goal of the invasion is to grab a lot of natural resources. You play as the orc warlord, a great tactician that manages to vaporise the entire invasion force, and then decides to take the war to the human kingdom.

Those would make for some pretty fun games.

As unintelligent as this will make me sound to say, I lol'd at number two.

The villain kills the hero immediately upon finding his identity rather than "waiting and see" or worse, trying to mold him into a successor, either way you fail: if you do succeed he'll learn your evil ways and promptly kill you and take your kingdom, if you fail he'll kill you out of some sense of idealism, so really just kill the asshole and don't run your kingdom like a cartoon villain (i.e. at least vague understanding of human rights) and your approval ratings will go up, I mean think about it. The bad guy always bitches about a constantly rebelling populace, have you considered the fact that constantly oppressing them and throwing lavish parties in the middle of a famine might POSSIBLY be the reason?

the antithesis:
gay dragons

how is that a cliché

Yeah, it's been brought up a few times now, but I would love to play a villain. Not so much the moral choice maybe villain whose badness holds little influence on the gameplay, but a truly amoral, very very bad guy. Bad enough to make even the people who always go the evil route uncomfortable. But not a cardboard cutout puppy-kicker, either, because the point of this game would be to show you how much you identify with this awful dude and make you feel weird about yourself. I love that kind of thing, yup.

Fenra:
someone bringing a sword to a gunfight and actualy getting mown down, I mean realisticly when would a close range weapon be useful in that situation (mostly looking in the JRPG direction here) its a small complaint that i can look aside if a game/book/movie draws me in enough to suspend disbeleif long enough, but still...

Oh gosh, I wrote a short Kenichi - The strongest disciple experiment-fic like that once - annoying martial artist main character got mowed down before he could reach his opponent, who used guns. It was...satisfying to say the least, but a friend of mine went apeshit over it.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked