Movies. No, good movies. That are also unknown

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Good day peoples of the Escapist. So today, I just finished re-watching, for the 4th time, Requiem For a Dream. After I finished it, I went to talk to a few friends about it. Turns out none of them have heard of it =/. I didn't just ask 1 or 2 people either, I asked 53 people. This disappointed me very much because this film is pretty amazing.

So Escapee's, my question for you is why haven't people watched movies that are as good as Requiem for a Dream?
For bonus points put in your favourite "unknown" movie, or "unknown" movie you want to watch.
For me, it's Black Swan xD same director as RFOD.

I'm guessing they haven't watched them because they only pay attention to movies that go heavily advertised.

Speaking of advertising, the movie I pick as my "unknown" movie is Snow Angels. Great film!

There are people out there who haven't heard of Requiem for a Dream? Make them suffer! Or watch it. Either works.

OT: Most of Park Chan Wooks filmography. I'm sure some of you have heard of them, but those who haven't you need to go out and watch Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, and you need to do it now. Also, everyone needs to see Let the Right One In before the remake comes out in 5 days.

Metropolis! it's well know among film nerds and critics, but everyone else probably hasn't heard of it... a shame too... the movie is a classic...

FargoDog:
There are people out there who haven't heard of Requiem for a Dream? Make them suffer! Or watch it. Either works.

OT: Most of Park Chan Wooks filmography. I'm sure some of you have heard of them, but those who haven't you need to go out and watch Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, and you need to do it now. Also, everyone needs to see Let the Right One In before the remake comes out in 5 days.

I heard Let Me In was actually getting really good reviews. I still don't think it would be as epic as Let the Right One In.

I've heard of it but never watched it. I'm intrigued by it now though. I can't explain individual reason as to why someone would not have heard of it.

For me that would be Franklyn, District B13, The Returner, Pontypool, La Horde, Dogsoldiers (so many people haven't seen this film), Last Of The Living, and finally Colin.

Alot of people I know have no idea what im on about when I mention Pans Labyrinth or Old Boy and when I mention that they are foreign films they dismiss them because the are close minded and I quote "I hate subtitles, I dont see a movie to read.".

Im really glad they failed the course I was on. People my age (18-25) just dont appreciate good cinema, they would rather watch Transformers 2 instead of Fight Club.

D0WNT0WN:
Alot of people I know have no idea what im on about when I mention Pans Labyrinth or Old Boy and when I mention that they are foreign films they dismiss them because the are close minded and I quote "I hate subtitles, I dont see a movie to read.".

Im really glad they failed the course I was on. People my age (18-25) just dont appreciate good cinema, they would rather watch Transformers 2 instead of Fight Club.

I love Pans Labyrinth, it felt very Neil Gaiman-ish, and I've not seen Old Boy yet but I have been recommended it.
I know the feeling though, quite a few of my friends won't watch a film if its subtitled, shame really as some of the best I've seen are.
Hang on... how can you not want to watch Fight Club? That film is well written, clever and brilliantly shot! As opposed to Transformers 2.

D0WNT0WN:

My sentiment exactly. People I know say, " I don't want to watch a movie to think. I want to see titties and explosion. If I want to see art I'd go to a museum" or some bullshit excuse like that. I just try to reason with them, and in the end I usually end up just calling them retarded and walking away. But I guess my 15-17 year old peers haven't developed a good sense of movies yet =/

Also, sorry about mentioning this, but don't miss apostrophes please. It really annoys me. It doesn't really matter though.

I would suggest movies like Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door (very hard to sit through, but very good), Eraserhead (short description: "uhh...") and Taxidermia (beautifully disgusting in a thoughtful way). These movies are not unknown in the right circles, but I would not call them mainstream.

Come to think of it, watch all of these too:
Tetsuo: The Iron Man
Hellraiser V (seriously)
Cube
May
Bubba HoTep

On the topic of good and fairly obscure movies, I need some help here.
I was going to add a Japanese movie to the list, but I can't for the life of me think of the title. It's about a guy in a wheel chair who gets tormented by his grandmother and her granddaughter. Very, very over-the-top. Does anyone know what movie I am talking about?

EDIT: Also, watch Dead Snow! Nazi Zombies in the Norwegian mountains!

7 Samurai.
Its seriously an amazing movie yet, so few people have seen it.
Its not that surprising though, considering how old it is.

Machete is relatively unheard of here even though it's on my top 4 best B movies of all time list.

AndyFromMonday:
Machete is relatively unheard of here even though it's on my top 4 best B movies list of all time.

Really? I've been hearing of it a lot after I've watched it. It's a really good B movie too.

PhoenixKing:

AndyFromMonday:
Machete is relatively unheard of here even though it's on my top 4 best B movies list of all time.

Really? I've been hearing of it a lot after I've watched it. It's a really good B movie too.

I haven't seen a lot of people talk about it. I guess I was looking in the wrong places.

Daisies (Sedmikrasky), by a Czech filmmaker called Vera Chytilova just before the Prague Spring, is one of my favourite movies.

In terms of something a bit more accessible, I'd go for Black Cat, White Cat. Multi-lingual Eastern European film with a fantastic soundtrack largley orchestrated by Goran Bregovic.

Moving West, La Haine and City of God were both magnificent.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God

its really good and not too well known

BRICKBRICKBRICKBRICKBRICKBRICKBRICK

Ahem...Brick. Think of a noir movie from the 40's set around a modern day high school.

AndyFromMonday:

PhoenixKing:

AndyFromMonday:

I haven't seen a lot of people talk about it. I guess I was looking in the wrong places.

Eh, I guess it depends on where you live.

Old Boy
The Professional <- Best movie of all time, Fuck what anyone else says.
Caligula
Love these movies.

Echer123:

Ahem...Brick. Think of a noir movie from the 40's set around a modern day high school.

I just watched that film today, I wasn't expecting a lot but it delievered :) So glad I did watch it.

soilent:
Old Boy
Caligula
Love these movies.

I'm sorry that spot is already filled by The Shawshank Redemption =P

Fridge:
Pontypool

Dammit, someone stole mine, Pontypool is awesome.

I'll go with another Canadian film, Last Night. It's about the last few hours before the world is destroyed, and has a great cast: Sandra Oh, David Cronenberg, the guy who played Two on Battlestar Galactica (can't remember the name, it's Callum Keith Renee or something).

Also, just cause it's this generation, Videodrome. I can talk to thirty year old geeks about this, but for some reason a lot of people under the age of 20 have never heard of it.

soilent:

Caligula

The unrated and unedited version is amazingly gross, and I thought that Malcolm McDowell dancing in the rain naked was bad enough.

Hard Candy was a great film, best I've seen in a long time. Ellen Page is in it too! I made my friends watch it.

Edit: I wonder if anyone here's heard of The Long, Long Trailer? It's an old one, but hands down one of my favorite films of all time. It's HILARIOUS.

Ink.
Seriously. My favorite movie ever, but NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT IT.

And even more shockingly, Pan's Labyrinth. Which I find pretty sad considering it won an Academy Award.

Also, nearly every single movie created before 1980.

Blind Sight:

Also, just cause it's this generation, Videodrome. I can talk to thirty year old geeks about this, but for some reason a lot of people under the age of 20 have never heard of it.

It was oddly prophetic too. Lots of parallels can be drawn between it and the internet (especially the seedier sites that show murder victims and such).

Fridge:
I've heard of it but never watched it. I'm intrigued by it now though. I can't explain individual reason as to why someone would not have heard of it.

For me that would be Franklyn, District B13, The Returner, Pontypool, La Horde, Dogsoldiers (so many people haven't seen this film), Last Of The Living, and finally Colin.

District B13... The district next to 9 that played a LOT of Bingo.

OT: I dunno... I know some unknown movies, but they were the kind thats "so bad, it's almost funny, now I want to cry because it isn't"... I'd have to say: Lock, Stock and two smoking Barrels, it's and old Jason Statham movie that is kind of a (what I call) "Murphy's Law" movie, meaning if something can go wrong, it does.

Klumpfot:

Blind Sight:

It was oddly prophetic too. Lots of parallels can be drawn between it and the internet (especially the seedier sites that show murder victims and such).

Indeed, even the reason why Cronenberg made it is important. The whole tumour concept primarily came from the fear that tv radiation caused cancer. It's not like we're dealing with a similar urban legend today, like with cellphones...oh wait.

Blind Sight:

Fridge:
Pontypool

I'll go with another Canadian film, Last Night. It's about the last few hours before the world is destroyed, and has a great cast: Sandra Oh, David Cronenberg, the guy who played Two on Battlestar Galactica (can't remember the name, it's Callum Keith Renee or something).

soilent:

Caligula

The unrated and unedited version is amazingly gross, and I thought that Malcolm McDowell dancing in the rain naked was bad enough.

You know, I would never have seen Pontypool if I hadn't gone to this zombie festival thing my gf invited me to. Quite a few people didn't like it since it depends upon the feeling of suspense rather than gore and effects.

dfcrackhead:

Fridge:

District B13... The district next to 9 that played a LOT of Bingo.

OT: I dunno... I know some unknown movies, but they were the kind thats "so bad, it's almost funny, now I want to cry because it isn't"... I'd have to say: Lock, Stock and two smoking Barrels, it's and old Jason Statham movie that is kind of a (what I call) "Murphy's Law" movie, meaning if something can go wrong, it does.

I'm going to guess you've not seen District B13, its French and involves a lot of parkour.

Lock, stock and Two Smoking Barrels is quite well known because of being a Guy Richey film I find.. But maybe its the area I live in.

When's the last time you saw "Chariots of Fire"?

Fridge:

Blind Sight:

Fridge:
Pontypool

soilent:

Caligula

You know, I would never have seen Pontypool if I hadn't gone to this zombie festival thing my gf invited me to. Quite a few people didn't like it since it depends upon the feeling of suspense rather than gore and effects.

Yeah that's kind of a thing with Canadian horror films, we're all about the suspense and less about the jump scares. Ginger Snaps, a Canadian werewolf movie, is a little more in-your-face but it still goes nowhere near as far as most American films. I actually really like that, I find most modern mainstream horror films are horribly paced and lack any kind of real suspense.

soilent:
Old Boy
Caligula
Love these movies.

I agree, but this site loves Old Boy and who doesn't know The Professional?

OT: I can't think of any :(

BRICK. BRICK a million times.
This movie is amazing and I'm the only person in my social circle whos ever heard of it.
Its the reason I will now watch ANY Joseph Gorden Levitt movie ever.

Its a 30's style detective movie based in modern day highschool, with old school english.
"call me in sick, I've got knives in my eyes"

In my top five all time favourite movies

Edit---

Echer123:

I didn't read the whole thread before I posted or I just would have quoted you originally.
Obviously we are just awesome people. And its worrying that this movie gets people to react in such similar ways...

Blind Sight:

Fridge:

Blind Sight:

Fridge:
Pontypool

soilent:

Caligula

Yeah that's kind of a thing with Canadian horror films, we're all about the suspense and less about the jump scares. Ginger Snaps, a Canadian werewolf movie, is a little more in-your-face but it still goes nowhere near as far as most American films. I actually really like that, I find most modern mainstream horror films are horribly paced and lack any kind of real suspense.

I saw Ginger Snaps, pretty good. I need to see the sequel and prequel apparently their pretty good (or so says moviebob)

isawdrones:
Hard Candy was a great film, best I've seen in a long time. Ellen Page is in it too! I made my friends watch it.

Edit: I wonder if anyone here's heard of The Long, Long Trailer? It's an old one, but hands down one of my favorite films of all time. It's HILARIOUS.

Haha I watched The Long Long Trailer with my mom a couple years back. She loves that movie! It actually was pretty fun to watch.

And I've also seen Hard Candy. That's one helluva a movie right there.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked