What is the best Guitar solo ever?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So escapists i have been getting into a lot more instrumental music recently and i was wondering in your opinion what is the best guitar solo.

It doesn't have to be based on pure skill of performing, but can just be based on how it sounds also. A personal favorite of mine is Guthrie Govan's Fives

That. Seriously. If I can learn that, and master it, I'll die a happy man.

Clearly it is the second (and final) guitar solo of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb. There can be no contest.

The sphinx has spoken.

Well I consider the song "Rude Mood" by Stevie Ray Vaughan to just be one huge, awesome guitar solo.

My favourites are the solos in Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd and One by Metallica probably.

Sultans of Swing.

Any questions?

The Psychosocial solo is very nice, imo.

This. I don't know why. I just find it awesome.

The Shade:
Clearly it is the second (and final) guitar solo of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb. There can be no contest.

The sphinx has spoken.

But what about the epically long mournful guitar solo of Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt. 1-6? Granted it's less a solo and more an instrumental, but still, it's on par.

Other than that, agreed.

darth gditch:

The Shade:

The sphinx has spoken.

But what about the epically long mournful guitar solo of Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt. 1-6? Granted it's less a solo and more an instrumental, but still, it's on par.

Other than that, agreed.

Much as I love Shine On, and every single mournful note it has to offer, I have the most emotional connection with Comfortably Numb's final solo. It is just so POWERFUL. I always just sit with my eyes shut, holding my breath, when it comes on. Amazing.

Kirisute Gomen by Trivium. The best guitar part starts around 4:20. And the druming sweet. And the name of the song means "I appologize for killing you in advance" in Japanese

The Shade:

darth gditch:

The Shade:

The sphinx has spoken.

Other than that, agreed.

Much as I love Shine On, and every single mournful note it has to offer, I have the most emotional connection with Comfortably Numb's final solo. It is just so POWERFUL. I always just sit with my eyes shut, holding my breath, when it comes on. Amazing.

This too. Im goin to see Roger Waters Tomorrow! Hell Yeah! Hes doing The Wall though so no Shine on but Comfortably Numb! Im so pumped

aLivingPheonix:

Bellamy is so awesome. And I'm seeing Muse live in December! :D

Definitely the solo from Lift by Poets of the fall

aLivingPheonix:

I think that looks pretty easy. He is tapping it so it sounds way faster than it is.

That doesn't mean it doesn't sound great though.

Unforgiven - Metallica

Icarion:
This too. Im goin to see Roger Waters Tomorrow! Hell Yeah! Hes doing The Wall though so no Shine on but Comfortably Numb! Im so pumped

Lucky you! He was here in Toronto a few weeks ago, but I didn't even know about the show until the night prior. Friend o' mine went, and he said it was pretty crazy. Saw a bunch of his pictures from it. They've got the giant schoolmaster puppet back, which is good to see.

Who knows... Maybe he'll do another tour in a couple years for Wish You Were Here. He did Dark Side of the Moon in 2007, and now The Wall in 2010.

2013, anyone?

Stairway To Heaven has a nice solo

Honestly? After all the music I've listened to, there are still a couple of solos that are on top. 1: Wintersun- Winter Madness. Please, for the love of God, listen to it. And second: Machine Head- Halo. It's the best solo I've managed to learn.

The Shade:

darth gditch:

The Shade:

The sphinx has spoken.

Other than that, agreed.

Fair enough because I say the same about Shine On, though instead of powerful I say soulful and thus we can agree: Pink Floyd = Win.

darth gditch:
Fair enough because I say the same about Shine On, though instead of powerful I say soulful and thus we can agree: Pink Floyd = Win.

Indubitably, my good chum! Mm. Yes, quite.

*top hat*

The intro solo for Boston's "Long Time."

Since Comfortably Numb's outro solo's already been mentioned, I guess I'll go with this one. I swear, I'm always terrified when I find out that the guy I'm dating likes Lynyrd Skynyrd, because I maintain that you cannot listen to this song and still want to stay with your girlfriend.

Under a Glass Moon. John Petrucci at his finest.

MaxerJ:
Under a Glass Moon. John Petrucci at his finest.

Yes. This.

On a similar note.

At about 1:48, my favourite part of the song.

Also, Damage Control.

For all the Blue Oyster Cult Fans out there, I think you guys will like this one. And for everyone else, listen to it too, its deffinitely up there for "best guitar solo" category.

The Song is "Veteran of the Pyschic Wars", in case you wondering. If you're lazy and just want to skip to the solo, go to 2:30, although the intro really kinda sets the mood of the song, and if you skip the intro the solo kinda looses its meaning.

This war is ours - Escape the fate
or
Carolyn - black veil brides
or
goodbye my love - LoveHateHero

SimuLord:
Any questions?

Yeah. I'm not the biggest southern rock fan, but there's a reason people still yell "Free Bird!!" at concerts (a reason besides alcohol and a lack of creativity in one's sense of humor).

As far as guitar solos go for just fitting the mood of a song, I lean more towards the one in "Rock & Roll" at about 3:30. It's extremely short, but it makes me smile every time.

A runner up for me is Wilco's live version of "Handshake Drugs". There's fills scattered all about in the song (my favorite is at 3:04), and then it ends with Jeff Tweedy and Nels Cline (my personal favorite guitarist) combining forces for this wall of sound (starting at about 3:40)

Thank god for Navarro.

You are a genius. I don't know ANY Dire Straits fans outside of my family...

why has no one mentioned Kirk Hammet yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7N4P7ejddw

I always go to Hand of Blood by Bullet for my Valentine when I think of good solos. They get a lot of hate, but they guy can play a hell of a solo. And it just fits with the rest of the song perfectly

Have to go with the solo from Jethro Tull's Aqualung.

Holy Wars by Megadeth. All of the solos are awesome.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked