The most annoying/hated instrument

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

The descant recorder in the hands of the average child.

See also: any loud instrument in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to play it.

I know someone with grade 8 treble recorder (she hates it and only does it because she's paid to mind) so they CAN be played well...just generally not.

asmidir:
We've all got one. That one instrument, whether through terrible sound, traumatizing experience or annoying repetition is the one instrument that you hate. For me it is the retarded cousin of the flute and whistle, THE RECORDER!!!. My hate for this ear drum shattereing excuse for an instrument was rekindled when my sister found one while cleaning her room and has been blowing on it for most of the afternoon (luckily she got bored of it). Anyone who did music in primary school know of the horrible nails on chalkboard sound it makes, any poor mother who had to drive her child home who now thinks they will be the next best musician knows of the pain.

Now with my small rant over. So fellow escapist what is your most hated instrument? Feel free to share your bad experiences with it.

I swear I dont think ANYONE could make a recorder sound good

Purple Shrimp:

has a rad recorder solo

just sayin

Sounds like an ocarina to me...

Ya I would have to go with the recorder also if not just because my little brother and sister had to do it for school and my god was it TERRIBLE to listen to.

Kinda not the same thing, but I do hate the way that EVERYONE plays the guitar. Or at least, everyone claims to - but what they mean is, they can play a few chords. Poorly.

Not sure why this annoys me so much, I even get angry at myself for playing the guitar.

Alucard 11189:
I would have to say the bagpipes. I don't see how the sound of cats dying could be classified as music. When I was a toddler my parents lived next door to a guy who played the bagpipes at stupid times. The guy was evicted after several people complained about him playing the bagpipes at 4 in the morning.

lol most epic story ever. Some guy (I'm assuming he was old) playing bag pipes at 4 in the morning is just awesome on so many levels.

Violin is pretty awful when someone is learning to play, just because it sounds literally rusty, but when mastery is achieved it is pretty good. I guess recorder is the worst, one time I found an old one my sister had and I played it, it sounded horrid, I thought I sucked because I was new to it but I guess at all levels of mastery it sounds like someone throttling a donkey who only has half a voice box.

Why the hate for the recorder? Is it just because people's only experience of them are those crappy plastic ones? Try listening to some baroque recorder music recorded using a wooden recorder.

An out-of-tune violin being played by someone really bad at it.

It's the most painful thing one can ever hear.

NeedAUserName:
Vuvuzela. I don't know why this hasn't been mentioned yet.

Because its not an instrument, it's a audio weapon created by the South Africans to attempt to destroy all who stand before them.

Alucard 11189:
I would have to say the bagpipes. I don't see how the sound of cats dying could be classified as music. When I was a toddler my parents lived next door to a guy who played the bagpipes at stupid times. The guy was evicted after several people complained about him playing the bagpipes at 4 in the morning.

I think you may have had bad luck with the bagpipes. A properly performed, well played piece can sound amazing.

The Flute. I can't stand that thing.

I'm also going with the general consensus of recorder. I had to learn when I was little, even though I didn't get a choice in the matter. I also remember this is where my fear of spiders came from, as one day my mum asked me to practise, I took the recorder out (in preparation of squeaky annoying sounds) and as I started playing a spider crawled out one of the holes and onto my face.

I didn't play recorder, or like spiders, after that point.

I just think, there's just better instruments. And at that age when we're young, it's soooo much more easy to get us involved into something which is quite complicated cos we're like sponges. We absorb information and can learn really easily.

I've never been able to tolerate the sound of flutes. Western Concert Flute(I believe... it has such an odd name in English) is the worst offender and unfortunetly my sister has played the instrument for 14 years or more. She doesn't live at home anymore though!

Bagpipes are awesome (when played properly).
Recorders aren't too bad - I'm guessing what a lot of people hate is when little kids with no talent play them; they just blow as hard as they can. Not using the right embrouchure is what makes them squeak horribly. Do you like flutes? Do you like Ocarinas? If so, there is no reason not to like recorder (when it's played properly).

Let's assume the vuvuzela is an instrument then that. Otherwise the popular choice of hate; the recorder.

Rhymer:

Alucard 11189:

Yes, if someone can't play them well, they are annoying as bollocks. However, in the hands of a skilled musician and in the right setting, they can be quite mervelous.

Case in point:

Dropkick Murphys's Fields of Athenry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10agPj0Vzu4

Completely agree. I think bagpipes are awesome, if played by someone skilled of course, though people tend to sound annoying with them... D:

OT: If you ask me there's no such thing as an annoying instrument really, because everything can sound good in the right hands. Still, I'll go for the one that annoys me most often... The human voice. What, that's (kinda) an instrument? xP

I couldn't stand the bagpipes until this just utterly made Christmas for me...

As for the vuvezuela, I just found people kept ruining the massive vuvuzuela concerts by letting overpaid idiots kick a ball around on a field all the way thru them, a complete disregard for art.

No, my personal choice for 'instrument' that needs to burn in the fires of hell would be the 'cellphone'.

Why on earth do people who claim to love, techno, hip hop, and drum and bass, ALL musical genres fairly reliant on bass to make them feel good, choose to only play them on busy buses and trains, thru a cellphone with a tinny speaker that would be outclassed in technology by the average singing greetings card?

I personally would like to see the figures of emergency worlds in the UK to see how many cellphones need to be surgically removed from the rectums of idiots each year.

I listen to satirical podcasts about world politics and podcasts about WoW, but I understand that the average bus traveller probably has zero interests in the current actions of Hugo Chavez or Sylvio Berlusconi, or how retribution paladins have been nerfed last patch, so, I use headphones, ones that don't hiss out an irritating version of what I'm listening to.

I don't choose to run it thru a shitty speaker to make everyone within 50 feet me fantasise about pulling my lungs out thru my nose.

Top tip: if you're one of these people and don't wish to submit to a cavity search to retrieve your phone, pull your damn pants up!

*old angry man mode off*

recorder. there is nothing else to say

Vuvuzela.

Not the BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

TestECull:

Novs:

TestECull:
Autotune. I'd rather hear a 25 minute recorder solo than hear anything autotuned.

Whats wrong with it, it makes for a nice effect...

If you have to use Autotune in order to sing well you have no business singing in the first place. It's that simple. It has enabled talentless hacks like Kanye to get immensely popular, something impossible before Autotune became popular.

So much ignorance in one post hurt my brain.

How can kanye get popular with just autotune, logically that is impossible, the best singers would make it to the top still, because if anyone can use autotune, then still logically the best singers would be at the top, because with or without the use of autotune they would still be better than the rest.

You cannot phisically popularise something with autotune. So basically he isnt a talentless hack, because clearly his music has something to get him to the top.

Tell me why kanye of all the talentless hacks would be diffrent and make it to the top? Clearly there is a diffrence with him to the rest.

Besides here he is using it for effect, no one said he was a brilliant/rapper singer, but he is using it just like another instrument, like a guitar effect, this is just a voice effect used in his own way.

Stop being so close-minded, and stop being a sheep.

Lol so much recorder hate. Im grade 8+ on recorder, and it does sound good. Like any other instrument, in the hands of beginners/misbehaving little oiks it doesnt sound good, but when played properly, it does :|

I personally dislike the saxophone, not a mellow enough timbre for my classical ears..

MurderousToaster:
An out-of-tune violin being played by someone really bad at it.

It's the most painful thing one can ever hear.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

NeedAUserName:
Vuvuzela. I don't know why this hasn't been mentioned yet.

Because its not an instrument, it's a audio weapon created by the South Africans to attempt to destroy all who stand before them.

Agreement with both these guys.

My most hated instrument is a violin when someone is JUST learning to play it. Squeaky, godawfullest sound since the invention of the Cat Silencer. The Cat Bagpipes is fun to play though...Though I digress. Violins being learnt to play is so high pitched and off key and there is NO justification for it. Practice on the Guitar, like I did, or the Cello, logical next step(It's deep bass sound counters out that god-awful squeak) and you won't get the goddawful sound and also learn to have transitional skills.

And the Vuvuzella, of course, for ruining the world cup. I would write more on this, but I shall let a video game do it for me: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/543374

I can't stand the obo.

The Deku Scrub Pipes. Those things scared the shit out of me when I first played MM.

Violin. Oh man, they annoy me. All they seem to make is really high, ear aching sounds.

Mine is also the recorder. I've been forced to play that instrument all the way through primary school and the first 2 years of secondary. I was bad at it, for one thing, not to mention it sounds awful and put me off trying to play music for the rest of my life. Sorry girls, i don't play guitar.

Alucard 11189:

Me too i never liked the sound of it

Plates.

Novs:

TestECull:

Novs:

Whats wrong with it, it makes for a nice effect...

If you have to use Autotune in order to sing well you have no business singing in the first place. It's that simple. It has enabled talentless hacks like Kanye to get immensely popular, something impossible before Autotune became popular.

So much ignorance in one post hurt my brain.

How can kanye get popular with just autotune, logically that is impossible, the best singers would make it to the top still, because if anyone can use autotune, then still logically the best singers would be at the top, because with or without the use of autotune they would still be better than the rest.

You cannot phisically popularise something with autotune. So basically he isnt a talentless hack, because clearly his music has something to get him to the top.

Tell me why kanye of all the talentless hacks would be diffrent and make it to the top? Clearly there is a diffrence with him to the rest.

Besides here he is using it for effect, no one said he was a brilliant/rapper singer, but he is using it just like another instrument, like a guitar effect, this is just a voice effect used in his own way.

Stop being so close-minded, and stop being a sheep.

Using autotune isnt the same as a guitar effect, a guitar effect will merely overlay a sound over the top (with the exception of a Wah pedal which you have to manage yourself), you still have to be cabable of playing the instrument. Kanye however, cannot sing. Given he uses it ALL the time in that song, he's not using it for effect, he's using it because he cant sing. If you can't sing, either invent/use a style that works for you (ala punk, death metal, rapping, scat, etc), Or don't sing. Autotune is the equivilent of a band that's incapable of playing just going in and editing their studio stuff to make it sound like they can play, or using Guitar Pro 5 sampling, which leads to them being incapable of playing it the same as the studio album live,(or at least to the degree you'd expect when seeing a live band) which everyone would call them out on.

Also in regards to him making it to the top: Marketing, and being a total dick. It's worked for many a bands over the years, controversy or a well marketed plan is a surefire way to get to the top, at least for a little while.

The only two instruments I was forced to learn. That is, I didn't choose to learn them.
The bloody recorder (what kind of instrument is it anyway?!) and the god damned claranet.

But considering I didn't go to any lessons whenever I could, I can see why They gave up on me.
Every year, however, my parents would go 'If you pass this grade we will talk about you quiting'
I would pass the grade.
'If you pass this next grade we will talk about you quiting'
I would pass that grade too.
'If you pass this next grade we will talk about you quiting'
'ENOUGH! I'm not playing your games anymore! Every god damn year you say that and every year you don't let be quit!' *dramatically break the infernal instrument*

After that They didn't make me do any more music ^-^

Vuvuzela.

Justin Bieber's vocal chords?

Electric/Bass Guitar other then Queen's music I don't think I like any songs with it. I'm not even really a huge fan of guitar in general.

I know this isn't technically an instrument but I fucking HATE beat-boxing!

The bagpipes hurt to listen to even when they're played well.

VUVUZALA!
MY EARS!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked