Would you still play a game if the main character was gay?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

It has no bearing on anything. If it does, it says a whole lot more about you than anything else.

I just quote Johnny Depp when he was asked if Jack Sparrow was gay by Disney executives "All characters I ever played are gay" I have several times played lesbian characters in Dragon Age not because I'm a guy, I do it because I don't see sexes I see characters and a character can't be define on his sexual preference because that irrelevant for the story.
Most of my characters are female because I think it's boring to play male characters and I like a lot of the voice acting some stronger female voice-acters can pull of when they are badass or snarky like in Mass Effect or Dragon Age 2 and I think a female leadrolls are far more interesting when male are but that just me.
But the basic is always the same, write the personality of the character first and then apply the persons sex and not the other way around, alot of female characters are written female first and personality second and that falls flat in the end and make the character more sexistic then want the writer might originally intended.

As long as the voice acting wasn't generic Hollywood Mexican camp, or bulldog butch. I couldn't listen to that for 20 to 40 hours....... and I've yet to meet anyone who does speak like that.

I think its a good idea but it shouldnt necessarily be a forced idea, in Bully you could choose to make out with guys, but you didnt need to. and i think it could work, especially games like GTA and even Fallout, where you can have "romantic excursions" shall we say, with other characters, who are generally the opposite sex, apart from taking a couple perks in fallout. so long as it wasnt brought to a forefront, then there is no real reason why it couldnt work.

I'm thinking of making my Hawke gay, so sure, why not.

Yes of course I would, what is so different about it?

I would definitely welcome the prospect of playing a game character who happens to have a different sexual orientation. Still, I wonder how far my open mind would go. I know this discussion points to a very common form of sexuality but would someone play a game with a protagonist who was into seedy or fetishistic sexuality? For example, beastiality, necrophelia, or even worse? Heck, would you wish to play a game with a character who is a criminal of sexual assault? Now that is a question that really ponders the limits of comfortableness when playing a character.

Well my original answer was always; Sure, what fucking difference does it make? But since I saw this thread I think the answer is now; NO.

Because I am at this point tired of seeing these threads and their cousin threads.

Played Enchanted arms only straight character is the little girl.

As long as NOTHING at all about his sexuality is brought up, and the only reason we know he's gay it's because of the manual... then maybe.

If it's a part of the plot, then I will find it revolting and will be too uneasy about that to play the game properly, then no.

Sexuality in games is stupid anyways

Yeah why not....Ricky Martin's Adventure Island

Hey, if the game is still fun to play, I don't care what my character's sexual orientation is. I mean, why should it matter?

Fear Effect 2

That is all. And don't give me that "I said Gay, not Lesbian" because that is both Homophobic AND Sexist not to mention ignorant, Gay is not a label exclusively for male Homosexuals.

More pertinent would you play a game where the character was Bisexual but just happened to be in a same sex-relationship. it certainly would be more representative as 10% of the population say they are bisexual (equal sexual affinity for both sexes) compared to only 1-2% who admit a complete preference for the same=sex and none for the opposite sex.

How about this, how about a character who was mostly straight but happened to have a crush on ONE person of the same sex. This would be EVEN MORE pertinent to same-sex relations as psychologists like Kinsey (and many others) have shown this is much more common,

Custard_Angel:
I wouldn't play Duke Nukem if he was gay. It defeats the purpose of a proudly misogynistic protagonist.

Why people would call a man who defines his life around loving women (in all senses of the word) as mysoginist = hates women... utterly boggles the mind.

I mean this is a guy who doesn't care about EVERY SINGLE MAN IN THE WORLD BEING KILLED but when they "take our women" THAT is when he responds. This sexual attitude may indicate the writers are juvenile and naive about women's true desires but Duke Nukem is the literal antithesis of misogyny.

And you can quote me on that.

But knowing how backward ass retarded the modern world is a man can have sex with a hundred women but if he has sex with one guy then "he's gay" and if he says he's Bi then "he's kidding himself"

I but this down to 2 VERY ANNOYING groups:

-Gay activists____ that would be 6 on the Kinsey scale, exclusively like the same sex as their own, yet there are far FAR fewer of them than Bisexuals. Their problem is they are living under the straight man's ideals that most heterosexuals are exclusively heterosexual, so they latch onto the insane ideal that sexuality should be exclusively towards one gender. I have no doubt that many many (usually the most vocal) gay men are 6 on the Kinsey Scale.

I've seen it way WAY too fucking often, they notice a man has interest in men and tell him to "stop living the lie" if he shows any interest in women. This is madness? How can people have such simplistic ideas about sexuality, that sexuality jsut flips like a switch between male and female affinity.

I mean there are gay bars/clubs, (straight) bars/clubs but where are the Bi-clubs?

-Conservative/fascist assholes____ they are so horrified by homosexuality that they can only comprehend it as a complete inversion, they cannot appreciate how human sexuality is far more complex and variable than the ideals oft written in scripture by celibate priests. They are so appalled by any man-on-man sexuality that they either:
(a) utterly ostracise the individual, label them "gay" and dismiss any interest they show in the opposite gender as dishonest and "deceptive"
(b) over-react and try to "cure the gayness" highly encouraging (conservative) opposite-gender relations and conditioning not just fear of sex with same sex but fear of ANY TYPE of intimacy with the same sex.

These conservative fucktards make great bones of "converting gays" all they really do is force Bisexuals to suppress their same-sex desire and emphasise their opposite-sex desire. No big deal at all. It's like if I liked both Pork and Beef then some crazy guy berated and brainwashed me till I hated Pork... then use that as proof that no one really likes pork and make a big fucking deal of me vowing to only eat beef.

The majority of people who find themselves attracted to the same gender are stuck in this dilemma, forced to choose the "straight life" or the "gay life". THIS is what leads to so many teen suicides, the GLBT is useless it should be called the GLT as the bisexual perspective is utterly crushed under the inane ideal of mono-sexuality

It long ago became unacceptable to make jokes about gays being gay (not about them merely being camp). but bisexuals are fair game, with allegations they are all just:
(1) Indecisive
(2) Delusional
(3) deceptive
(4) greedy
(5) Perverted

I blame this on still DEEPLY entrenched ideas of monogamy, you would have to chose to marry a man or a woman, a bisexual would have to at one point choose

Some of the greatest men and women of history were bisexual, most notably Julius Caesar and even greater legends like Freddy Mercury.

Rant: over... for now

I'm going to say yes but I'm also going to question if it really makes any difference unless there is a romance element to the game. Also may I ask how being gay/lesbian somehow makes a game character exempt from being a "generic space-marine"? Sexuality does not equal character.

I've already played games where that has been the case. I'm pretty anti- gay men, (if you want my thoughts on the subject of homosexuality some of the back messages are probably still around. The specifics have little to do with this discussion however) however) but that doesn't mean I get into some kind of frothing rage at the merest mention of gay men or whatever.

To be honest with most video games out there are set up, the only way the protaganist's sexual orientation is going to matter is if they go out of the way to bring it to the forefront. If this means that playing a game where the protaganist gets involved in numerous make out sessions with guys, or makes a big deal about being gay, is not going to appeal to me. After all that kind of thing is hardly a turn on for me, and since I don't like it, there is no real appeal to the situation, if they are going to put that much focus on it for the point of the game, my time would better be spent playing a game where this wasn't the case.

As far as games I've played with gay main characters or protaganists (that weren't me being a perv with a couple of girl characters) there have been a few. "Phantasmagoria II: A Puzzle Of The Flesh" involves an entire subplot about the character you control dealing with their homosexuality in their shrink's office. Then of course there is "Enchanted Arms" where the hero's main sidekick is a male homosexual with a crush on him. Then we have "Persona 4" where one of the party members being a gay man is actually the theme of a whole dungeon section. When it comes to antagonists, let's just say that if you have ever played a game about Conan that has featured characters from the books, a few of them were "boy lovers". Conan was before political correctness when it was written, and while it was never a focus, Conan has a major amount of contempt for gays and "boy lovers", and while never descriptive a number of his enemies were supposed to have been weakened by such "civilized decadence". Of course in the video games they rarely even go as far as the stories (both canon, and very old non-canon) did, which wasn't very far. Like most heroes a lot of his enemies "almost get him" in one way or another (a trap or spell, if not a straight fight) so you really can't call them impotent (so to speak) for their orientation irregardless of what Conan might think.

If you want to get technical, I think this entire "question" is a bit less profound than you might have intended. To be honest homosexuals have been fairly well represented as far as gaming goes, you just have to understand your dealing with a tiny percentage of the population. Fair representation does not mean "equal time with the majority" simply that a group is not totally neglected simply for being what it is. That's why I have such an issue with political correctness, and preferred Bioware's approach to romances in the first "Dragon Age" game to the "everyone is bi-sexual" approach of the second one. Granted you don't see much homosexuality in games in general, but that's pretty much in keeping with the number of homosexuals in society. Such things are there if you look for them, and have been for a long time.

That said, if you were doing a game like "Duke Nukem" but with the protaganist being an agressively flamboyant homosexual (of whatever style) instead of a manly flamboyant heterosexual, I don't think it would find much of an audience. Humor or not, it's meant to be slightly risque in it's own way, and someone without those tendencies wouldn't wind up appreciating the eye candy so to speak. I don't think there is enough of an audience to really sustain it.

That's a somewhat informed opinion as well, because it's been tried. They released those "Cho Aniki" games which are a series of tongue-in-cheek platformers featuring gay musclemen. We've actually seen ports of a couple of the titles to the US. From what I've heard the series has largely survived due to being relatively cheap to produce and a fan
base that is dedicated if not exactly numerous which does make it profitable. If it was tried on a fairly big-budget level like "Duke Nukem Forever" I don't think the audience would sustain it since there just wouldn't be enough gays with enough interest, and even if homosexuality doesn't offend someone they really aren't going to find a lot of gay innuendos aand cheesecake all that thrilling to want to dedicate hours upon hours expoising themselves to it, after dishing out a $60 price of admission.

Such are my thoughts. Due to being an admitted perv I'm intentionally staying away from the idea of lesbian characters because hey, like a lot of guys, I do find that fairly "hot" when presented the right way. Also I do believe that gays and lesbians are differant situations entirely, but that's not something I'm going to go into again. Again there are probably some back messages where I explain it (and the likely arguement would go nowhere) but simply put it has nothing to really do with it being "okay because it turns me on". The point being that I more or less agree with you excluding that aspect of the discussion. Especially seeing as I think that there are enough people out there like me in their "interests" irregardless of why that a hot lesbian heroine can find a niche among the male video gaming population and be sustained at a fairly high level, where I don't think gay men can be. You could probably do a Lesbian version of Duke Nukem and all the guys who bought Duke Nukem would also buy that game for largely the same reasons, and wind up appreciating the eye candy just as much. Whether it's fair or right or not is not something I'm going to argue, it just is, which is why (as I said) I agree with you there.

Sarge034:
Depends if it was a good game.

There will be no answer more perfect than this one.

Treblaine:
Fear Effect 2

That is all. And don't give me that "I said Gay, not Lesbian" because that is both Homophobic AND Sexist not to mention ignorant, Gay is not a label exclusively for male Homosexuals.

More pertinent would you play a game where the character was Bisexual but just happened to be in a same sex-relationship. it certainly would be more representative as 10% of the population say they are bisexual (equal sexual affinity for both sexes) compared to only 1-2% who admit a complete preference for the same=sex and none for the opposite sex.

How about this, how about a character who was mostly straight but happened to have a crush on ONE person of the same sex. This would be EVEN MORE pertinent to same-sex relations as psychologists like Kinsey (and many others) have shown this is much more common,

Custard_Angel:
I wouldn't play Duke Nukem if he was gay. It defeats the purpose of a proudly misogynistic protagonist.

Why people would call a man who defines his life around loving women (in all senses of the word) as mysoginist = hates women... utterly boggles the mind.

I mean this is a guy who doesn't care about EVERY SINGLE MAN IN THE WORLD BEING KILLED but when they "take our women" THAT is when he responds. This sexual attitude may indicate the writers are juvenile and naive about women's true desires but Duke Nukem is the literal antithesis of misogyny.

And you can quote me on that.

But knowing how backward ass retarded the modern world is a man can have sex with a hundred women but if he has sex with one guy then "he's gay" and if he says he's Bi then "he's kidding himself"

I but this down to 2 VERY ANNOYING groups:

-Gay activists____ that would be 6 on the Kinsey scale, exclusively like the same sex as their own, yet there are far FAR fewer of them than Bisexuals. Their problem is they are living under the straight man's ideals that most heterosexuals are exclusively heterosexual, so they latch onto the insane ideal that sexuality should be exclusively towards one gender. I have no doubt that many many (usually the most vocal) gay men are 6 on the Kinsey Scale.

I've seen it way WAY too fucking often, they notice a man has interest in men and tell him to "stop living the lie" if he shows any interest in women. This is madness? How can people have such simplistic ideas about sexuality, that sexuality jsut flips like a switch between male and female affinity.

I mean there are gay bars/clubs, (straight) bars/clubs but where are the Bi-clubs?

-Conservative/fascist assholes____ they are so horrified by homosexuality that they can only comprehend it as a complete inversion, they cannot appreciate how human sexuality is far more complex and variable than the ideals oft written in scripture by celibate priests. They are so appalled by any man-on-man sexuality that they either:
(a) utterly ostracise the individual, label them "gay" and dismiss any interest they show in the opposite gender as dishonest and "deceptive"
(b) over-react and try to "cure the gayness" highly encouraging (conservative) opposite-gender relations and conditioning not just fear of sex with same sex but fear of ANY TYPE of intimacy with the same sex.

These conservative fucktards make great bones of "converting gays" all they really do is force Bisexuals to suppress their same-sex desire and emphasise their opposite-sex desire. No big deal at all. It's like if I liked both Pork and Beef then some crazy guy berated and brainwashed me till I hated Pork... then use that as proof that no one really likes pork and make a big fucking deal of me vowing to only eat beef.

The majority of people who find themselves attracted to the same gender are stuck in this dilemma, forced to choose the "straight life" or the "gay life". THIS is what leads to so many teen suicides, the GLBT is useless it should be called the GLT as the bisexual perspective is utterly crushed under the inane ideal of mono-sexuality

It long ago became unacceptable to make jokes about gays being gay (not about them merely being camp). but bisexuals are fair game, with allegations they are all just:
(1) Indecisive
(2) Delusional
(3) deceptive
(4) greedy
(5) Perverted

I blame this on still DEEPLY entrenched ideas of monogamy, you would have to chose to marry a man or a woman, a bisexual would have to at one point choose

Some of the greatest men and women of history were bisexual, most notably Julius Caesar and even greater legends like Freddy Mercury.

Rant: over... for now

Well stated. One thing I would add is the objectification of bi women. As a result they're completely trivialized in the eyes of most everybody.

Also - "the college thing." Now there's a joke for you. "It was a college thing." Really? Either you did it for your boyfriend because you have absolutely no sense of yourself or you did it because you were ATTRACTED to another person of the same sex.

Discuss.

Bara_no_Hime:

sam42ification:
Would you still play a game if the protagonist, antagonist or favourite character in the game was gay?
For me yes infact it would maybe make it more reason to play the game because then atleast the character would be interesting instead of generic spacemarine.

Yes.

Actually, like you, I'd be more interested in playing a game with a gay main character.

Don't really have a game to name, other than Any RPG, and maybe Any Sandbox. Assuming, of course, that the rest of the game wasn't boring for some reason.

And I mean real gay here, not the silly "Cloud on the date with Barret" gay from FF7.

Thank you. You agree with me.

Double-post.

Escapist, fix your software!

Why wouldn't I? I wouldn't play a game specifically because the main character was gay but it certainly wouldn't stop me playing the game. Tho really since sexuality isn't mentioned all that much in most video games you never know...allot of characters could be gay or bi.
It would be fine just so long as it was handled maturely and wasn't thrown in there to add controversy. It can be more than just a side note that you are only aware of because it happens to be mentioned somewhere (tho I'm not saying that isn't fine, as I said it doesn't make that much of a difference and it doesn't need to be a big thing). You could have the protagonist in a relationship or developing a relationship with someone of the same gender for the whole game. It would only be an issue it if was thrown in the players face in a tacky way every 2 seconds.
"Hey... look guys! The main character is GAY! Aren't we edgy and different? And just in case you forget all our marketing will be centred around this fact, he will act like a stereotype and he will hit on guys every chance he gets!"

Dango:
Yes, in fact it might make me more likely to play a game.

Exactly my thoughts. It seems that it wouldn't matter to people but i think it would be a big positive.

How gay? Like flamingly annoyingly gay? Or like we find out at the end of the game the character was gay, but it didn't really matter to the overall plot? Or somewhere in between?

mireko:
Well, yeah. I'd probably be more likely to play a game with a gay protagonist, to be honest.

It's just more interesting, and it wouldn't give me any trouble with immersion. In video games I'm practically pansexual for reasons that continue to elude me.

Not to mention the fact that I'm also not a space marine or a witch with shotguns on her legs.

Exactly. It would be much more interesting to see a gay relationship displayed in a game. Rather than the hetrosexual relationship with bad voice acting and fake emotions.

If they're well written/otherwise entertaining, then why the fuck not.

As long as the fact that he/she is gay is not beaten over my head constantly yes.

yes.

Susan Arendt:

Sarge034:
Depends if it was a good game.

There will be no answer more perfect than this one.

i think critics may find themselves in an odd position on this one, though, since publicly criticizing a game with a LGBT character may get them some flak just on principle.

in that case i'd just see if the gameplay looks fun (homosexual alex mercer or commander shepherd wouldn't change my opinion one bit of how awesome those games are)

besides, can't a gay man or woman be badass (which is what i like to see in my games)? look at testiclees from Doraleus and Associates

sergnb:

sam42ification:
Would you still play a game if the protagonist, antagonist or favourite character in the game was gay?
State the game, the character and a yes or no.
The character could be lesbain also but don't say yes because you think it would be hot if the main character lesbain.

For me yes infact it would maybe make it more reason to play the game because then atleast the character would be interesting instead of generic spacemarine.

So you are saying that if a character is gay then it suddenly becomes interesting. Why? Explain this to me. Why being gay makes a character more interesting?

If the protagonist of a game was gay I wouldn't stop playing because I honestly wouldn't care. I mean, in my first playthrough of Dragon Age I hooked up with EVERYONE possible, even with that elvish guido, and I didn't stop playing, although I admit I did skip the sex scenes because, you know, I don't like seeing 2 men kissing and rubbing each other.

I mean, as long as the game isn't just trying to give a big "Fuck you" to the industry by yelling all over the place your character is gay, I would be ok with controlling said character. If there's something that is annoying as hell is homosexuals that NEED to tell everyone they are homosexuals. I just can't stand them. Make the protagonist of your adventure one of these persons and the game ruined for me.

And I don't say it's ruined because the protagonist is gay, it's ruined because I can't sympathize with the character I am controlling and thus the game stops being engaging. Imagine if in Oblivion, instead of playing as the voiceless hero, you played as that annoying fan that would follow you around. Nobody wants to play as someone they don't like.

Maybe it's because i'm bi and a hetrosexual relationship bores the hell out of me. Plus a character nervously exploring their sexuality is so much more interesting the the normal gritty protagonist. The gay character doesn't have to be annoying just gay

I played half life 2 didnt i.....

sam42ification:

Dango:
Yes, in fact it might make me more likely to play a game.

Exactly my thoughts. It seems that it wouldn't matter to people but i think it would be a big positive.

On the contrary, having a poorly done gay character as the protagonist would be much worse than having a poorly done straight character. There aren't many studios that would actually put the time into a game or take the risk of trying to sell a game with a gay main character.

One good example where I couldn't "handle this situation" is Dragon Age 2 where my first playthrough was a male Hawke warrior and I accidentally had a conversation with Anders where I had 2 flirt options and a end romance one and I choose the latter.

I don't wanna sound homofobic,but I'd rather play a female character and romance someone of the same gender than playing one on the opposite side(that is what I did on my second playthrough with my female Hawke rogue)

Guess that's just my view on it.

Yes, unless they exploit the fact he's gay for some homoerotic scenes.

So you mean, a game like Enchanted Arms? Or the entire Chou Aniki series? These games exist, no one really cares.

I'd be more inclined to play it to see how that aspect of the character affects the way they interact with their world as opposed to the typical straight characters that have been mapped quite extensively.

Wouldn't play only if he's a flaming Gaylord and overacts more than Bayonetta.

If he's like Da Vinci in AssCreed, then I won't pay attention to it.

funguy2121:

Well stated. One thing I would add is the objectification of bi women. As a result they're completely trivialized in the eyes of most everybody.

Also - "the college thing." Now there's a joke for you. "It was a college thing." Really? Either you did it for your boyfriend because you have absolutely no sense of yourself or you did it because you were ATTRACTED to another person of the same sex.

Discuss.

Is a man not entitled to love who he likes?

'No!' says the man in Gay Bar, 'You must love only men.'

'No!' says the man in the Church, 'You must love only women.'

'No!' says the man in Government, 'You must love no one.'

I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Bisexuality!

___

Seriously though, society is fucked by the path that gay activism chose, not true sexual openness but sexual "equivalence". They couldn't sell the idea that people could love either gender, but that their sexuality was inverted... it seemed to be the only way they could make people understand.

Bisexuals who say "it was just in college" are merely simplifying things, it should be no reason to doubt their love for their wife or husband. There is the insidious and horrible stereotype that bisexuality somehow "dilutes" sexual intimacy, as in how can you truly love your female wife if you are sexually attracted to both males and females.

Logically it shouldn't make any fucking difference but people don't think logically.

It's pretty clear that there are millions of people who would be very open and flexible about their sex lives for either gender but choose one sexuality just for simplicity, either gay of straight, people can't comprehend anything but 100% preference for one gender.

The WORST insult is the label "Closet homosexual" for those who have active and open heterosexual relations with women yet hidden/private homosexual interest.

The insinuation is devastating, not that their homosexuality is hidden, no. That all their sexual intimacy with the opposite gender is a charade, a deluded fantasy, lying not only to their partner but them self. That is HORRIBLE to label someone with, that destroys families, that leads to suicide over nothing but prejudice and ignorance.

Say a married man (to a woman) had an affair with a woman at work. There are chances the marriage could recover if they realise it was a weakness not in love but lust. But if he visited a gay-bar and went home with a guy? I can guaran-fucking-tee the woman on finding out would think he NEVER loved her, that he really loves men. Hell if a wife found her husband looking at gay porn, that would be enough.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked