"Feeding Kids Meat is Child Abuse"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 20 NEXT

I love how they claim they're doing it to combat childhood obesity. Because, you know, meat is totally the cause. Not the sugary cereals, cookies, chips, sodas, fast food, deep fried, fat filled foods people feed their kids.

I actually am a Ovo-lacto vegetarian; I eat things like milk and eggs and honey, but nothing that is meat. I'll be honest, I'm so squeamish about mat that I won't even touch it or let it get close to my food. But I've learned from my previous PETA-like arguments (when I was younger) to my family that I technically am eating living things, and so my reason for not eating it is because it looks gross to me.

I have no problem with other people eating meat, but I don't like when they rub it in my face, figuratively or literally. I just hope that the animals that are killed are at least of a good age (so yes, I have a problem with veal, but I'm not a hippie, so I don't protest).

So now that I've bored you with two paragraphs, I'll just get to my point. It's perfectly fine for children to eat meat, as I know that it's a good source of protein, and the substitute I('ve) know(n) is beans. Every few days. And that kind of sucks. Unless you like beans. Freedom of Speech is great, but when you have that, some people will make claims to the population without any evidence or facts to support it. And even if it isn't true, the U.S. has to let them say it on grounds of freedom of speech. You know, maybe there should be a rule about this. If you're going to make a claim about a product or company or anything really, you should not be allowed to release that claim without at least some evidence to back it up.

I will remind all of you of how many claims there are that videogame cause violent children, that they will turn gamers into rapists, that they are teaching kids bad moral values. And how many of those claims had one shred of evidence that made sense? Here's a fact: when a child is abused, it is very likely they will develop some mental problems. I'll bet there are a few kids in the U.S. who LOOOOVE meat, and they won't have any mental problems. Besides, if we're talking about obesity, meat is probably not the biggest source. Fast food in general, snack foods, sweets, and sodas are very good causes, but does PETA have a problem with those?

Phew, it's fun to rant once in a while. And now I leave you with a funny PETA picture:

Also, where did they get Quagmire Jr to pose for the shot...that human face isn't photoshopped at all.

PETA is just trying to get attention and probably don't really believe this (hopefully.) They're just making themselves look stupid, and therefore people don't take them seriously.

Hungry Donner:

The Apothecarry:
Meat is murder. Sweet, sweet, delicious murder.

We evolved to become carnivores, not herbivores. It's not an opinion: It's SCIENCE.

Carnivores and herbivores both have specialized digestive systems that we lack.

Humans are omnivores, we lack either's specialization but we can eat a fair bit from both.

Yup, we're omnivores.. Not that groups like PETA and others with their Soy/tofu eating lions will ever agree to that.

Also that kid in the billboard has a messed up face! Someone was being naughty with photoshop.

My favorite are the mildly offensive ones they have on the U.S. Mexico border urging Mexicans to stay in Mexico because...they might get fat!

milkkart:

suck it petards.

DELICIOUS MURDER!

Seriously. Our ancestors clawed their way to the position of supreme species by eating the competition.....or more often, whatever the competition was eating. In addition to driving the competition to extinction over limited food sources, but it increased the size of our brains. How can we not eat meat, both to keep ourselves healthy and to commemorate the thousands of hunts our ancestors went on?

PETA is an embarrassment to reasonable vegetarians such as myself.

The Apothecarry:

We evolved to become carnivores, not herbivores. It's not an opinion: It's SCIENCE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_fallacy

hecticpicnic:
FACTUAL FAIL.This is especail funny because kids need meat.And if you don't eat meat your more likely to eat instant and frozen crap.Talking from experience because im a vegetarian.

Speaking as a vegetarian, I haven't eaten frozen and instant meals (unless you count frozen vegetables being part of a meal, and the very occasional pastry offered) in... well, ever, in the two years I've been vegetarian.

Speaking as someone who knows of people who have been raised vegetarians for their whole life, I can confidently say that kids do not need meat to be healthy.

Rednog:
Dear PETA, this is what happens when you don't feed children meat.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371172/French-vegan-couple-face-jail-child-neglect-baby-died-vitamin-deficiency.html
Seriously are these guys brain dead or what?

It wasn't the lack of meat alone, it was the complete lack of food other than breast milk. The mother being vegan probably had something to do with the lack of vitamin B12, admittedly. All the woman had to do was go to the soy milk section of the supermarket and read a few labels until she found one that said "VITAMIN B12" on the label or buy supplements. And lack of vitamin A, WTF? You can get that from fruit juice or carrots.

spartan231490:

OT: There is nothing unhealthy about meat. Not eating meat almost always requires you to take a half-dozen vitamins and supplements just to get enough protein, amino acids, and essential minerals. Also, protein fills you up more and longer than carbs or fats so eating meat helps you to eat fewer calories and avoid obesity. Hence PETA, people for the eating of tasty animals.

1. What are these "half a dozen vitamins and supplements" that one can't obtain from non-meat sources?

2. Firstly, vegetarian diets are often richer in fibre, which has health benefits and fills you up more without the extra calories and saturated fat. Secondly, one can find rich vegetarian sources of protein including but not limited to eggs, lentils, broccoli, quinoa, tofu, milk, and soy milk.

Exposing children to uninformed, hypocritical and generally incompetent extremists is child abuse....

I think they should take it down, it's false information after all and im sure misinformation in advertising is very much against the law.

If they changed it to 'feeding your kids too much meat is child abuse' then sure, leave it, but they won't do that.

If I had the money I would totally rent that billboard and put up 'Forcing your children into an unhealthy and unnatural lifestyle is child abuse'.

This is true!

You know, if like, that meat is attached to your fist or something.

That's totally abuse.

Kuroneko97:

Well, where else would you think that you came from?

this reminds me of this artice i read about some vegans who killed there baby with there stupid diet here is a link to it
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8414195/French-vegans-charged-with-child-neglect-after-babys-death.html

p.s why is the captcha now using racist words? nigger, troina. wtf does that mean

If PETA get to use free speech to spread their bullshit then I demand that this be allowed on tv.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzB5PQiXwrk

lma0nade:
PETA kills more animals than most kennels and pet establishments, you know.

Hell they're death rates are more in line with puppy and kitty mills. If people really want to help animals donate to your humane society, not a bunch of environmental con artists.

OT: As a basic rule of thumb, if you have a full fridge don't tell others how to eat.

Oh I misread this....

Thought it was child abuse to feed children...children meat

The Apothecarry:

I'm not sure about you, but speaking for myself, not everything I eat is meat...

And some fact checking before you scream Science! at people would be nice.
Homo sapiens are in fact omnivores, not carnivores.
Humanity evolved to be able to process both meat based and plant based foods.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_humans_omnivores_or_herbivores

But back to the OP- I see what Peta are trying to do, I just think they're being incredibly militant and obnoxious about it.
Education, not moralising will change how animals are treated.

EDIT:

I see I was ninja'ed! Disregard my post then :P

I would like everyone at PETA to get electro shock then read the many scientific articles, dating back to the days when having a sharpest rock make you king, that says, "meat is good for you"

We developed our brains because we started sucking the marrow left in bones by predators.
There is also considerable evidence that children raised on a vegetarian diet have lower IQs.

TU4AR:

zehydra:
It is not the same. When people talk about what Child Abuse IS, they are talking about what people should consider Child Abuse to be. This billboard is being normative, not descriptive about child abuse.

Even then, if taken seriously, it would cause widespread panic, cripple many industries and ruin economies of entire sectors. The only reason we can let this go is because it's so utterly retarded that noone will take it seriously. And do they have evidence that feeding a child meat meat is in any way abuse? If not, then I say it is false and misleading, thus not protected by free speech.

Well by this logic, then anything unsupported by evidence is false?

ThatDaveDude1:
Evidence for:
*Crickets*

Evidence Against:
Humans are omnivores

*everyone facepalms at PETA's attempt at trolling.*

/Thread

Fixed it for you.

Why is it that extreme views require such an extreme reaction?

Once again, this community is a little disappointing. I wish these threads didn't crop up so often.

zehydra:

TU4AR:

zehydra:
free speech should take priority.

Free speech has limits. Putting out false or misleading information should always be stopped, the same way you can't stand up in a cinema and yell "Fire!"

but who's to say what's false? By what method is the government to determine the truth or falsity of a statement? Would every bit of false information have to go through something like a court process?

The reason you can't say "Fire!" in a cinema, is because it disrupts people from watching the movie, which is bad for business. The Cinema puts in that rule in order to prevent loss of business. However, this isn't a restriction of freedom of speech, because its the Cinema enforcing this rule, not the government.

You can't yell Fire! in a crowded cinema, because it'll start a panic and people will get hurt.

And that is an example of speech the U.S. government can ban.

Souplex:

lma0nade:
PETA kills more animals than most kennels and pet establishments, you know.

..Care to explain how?

they feed them tofu and beans and stuff when an animal wants to eat meat and they also just don't take very good care of the animals or give the animals what they need.

zehydra:

TU4AR:

zehydra:
It is not the same. When people talk about what Child Abuse IS, they are talking about what people should consider Child Abuse to be. This billboard is being normative, not descriptive about child abuse.

Even then, if taken seriously, it would cause widespread panic, cripple many industries and ruin economies of entire sectors. The only reason we can let this go is because it's so utterly retarded that noone will take it seriously. And do they have evidence that feeding a child meat meat is in any way abuse? If not, then I say it is false and misleading, thus not protected by free speech.

If it's unsupported by evidence then you can't claim it's true on an advert.

ThisIsSnake:

zehydra:

TU4AR:

If it's unsupported by evidence then you can't claim it's true on an advert.

Sure. But he's not talking just about adverts.

Obviously they are hiding behind childhood obesity to get their anti meat message out. If they really gave 2 shits about kids being too fat they would be attacking parents who excessively feed their kids refined sugars and stuff like pop... not the parents who want their kids to have a balanced diet. Calling it child abuse, jeez. They act like meat is nothing but lard laced with sludge from the BP oil spill and a spritz of Cthulhu ejaculate...

siahsargus:

natster43:
God I hate PETA. Why can't them and the Westboro Baptist Church go away forever.

Is it within my freedom of expression to follow Peta around, always interrupt them, and never be seen without a piece of meat?

Welcome to Britain :)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5767077.ece

ArcaneFyre:
As somebody who does not eat meat, even I think PETA are a bunch of idiots, mostly for their advertisements that portray sexism and incorrect information.

However, I do think that a parent who feeds their children meat are no more of a child abuser than somebody who doesn't. All the nutrition that you get from meat can also be obtained through other foods, and with the right dieting and nutritional planning, being vegetarian or vegan can be very beneficial for your health. I certainly do not look down upon anybody who eats meat, as it is their choice

However, I am apalled at some of the comments in this thread. I plan on becoming vegan very soon, and I have several friends who are vegan (including my girlfriend). To suggest that somebody who has chosen an alternative lifestyle is stupid for it (or making any sort of "derp" comment) is both ignorant and insensitive.

Some people don't want to eat meat, and they want to raise their children that way. Fucking deal with it.

ArcaneFyre:
As somebody who does not eat meat, even I think PETA are a bunch of idiots, mostly for their advertisements that portray sexism and incorrect information.

However, I do think that a parent who feeds their children meat are no more of a child abuser than somebody who doesn't. All the nutrition that you get from meat can also be obtained through other foods, and with the right dieting and nutritional planning, being vegetarian or vegan can be very beneficial for your health. I certainly do not look down upon anybody who eats meat, as it is their choice.

However, I am apalled at some of the comments in this thread. I plan on becoming vegan very soon, and I have several friends who are vegan (including my girlfriend). To suggest that somebody who has chosen an alternative lifestyle is stupid for it (or making any sort of "derp" comment) is both ignorant and insensitive.

Some people don't want to eat meat, and they want to raise their children that way. Fucking deal with it.

I treat this the same way I treat religion. I have no problem with you living the way you want but if you try to convert me and I ask you to stop all I ask is you leave me alone about it.

exposing children to PETA is child abuse ... Im not kidding

I was abused as a child... And now I love the abuse. Wait, I loved the abuse back then too. Give me more! Pass the ribs please. And the bacon, god I love the bacon. Wanna see how to make a salad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFB_vHVFM_8

Fuck salad! Give me cow lettuce.

..........i want to kill everyone in peta. Screw it who ever wants to help me make flash game let me know.

If people knew how much shit we get from animals, besides just food, they'd finally realize there is no such thing as a true vegan.

Simiathan:

The Gnome King:

MrFluffy-X:
snip.

Not feeding your child meat would be closer to child abuse? How so? Seems like most of the latest data available from top scientists and nutritionists would support what PETA is saying; though I will admit that I think PETA is a bit over the top.

Here's some "facts" to back it up:

http://www.eatright.org/About/Content.aspx?id=8357

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/veg_diets_for_children.html

I mean, the American Dietetic Association and the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine are pretty well respected organizations that tend to know more about nutrition than, say, the average family with obese children.

I see some of my friends with kids feed their children God-awful things, allow them to subsist on a diet of mainly candy, and then encourage already overweight children to "clean their plate" - maybe we need a little more common sense and vegetables and a bit less meat and candy.

Just sayin'

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine? HAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *choke*

http://www.cracked.com/article_18879_6-insane-conspiracies-hiding-behind-non-profit-groups.html

#5, FYI.

The PCRM is a biased group of idiots, the majority of which have no more actual knowledge on the subject of nutrition than either of us: case in point, they advocate militantly vegan diets for all children, even though only a tiny fraction of them are qualified in any way to do so. Also, the founder of the "organization" writes for PETA.

Just sayin'.

The ADA is more where I agree with you though. Parents who buy their kids happy meals and candy every day are flat-out not doing their children any favors, and should be teaching them how to maintain a healthy, balanced diet (like mine did). The extremes in either direction are bad, truly. Also, it sounds like you need some new friends.

Dr. Dean Ornish writes for the PCRM, actually, you know - the one who has the only diet ever proven to reverse heart disease in patients; to the point that some insurance companies now pay for his program? "Cracked" isn't exactly the best source for nutrition info either, my friend.

How is a vegan diet harmful in any way? You can have a healthy, balanced vegan diet quite easily, in fact. The only "extreme" thing I have from my vegan diet is a cholesterol level of 120; which most cardiologists agree provides virtual immunity to heart disease - the leading cause of death in the US. I have no nutritional deficiencies, none, zero, nada, zilch.

And the ADA is recommending more plant-based nutritional diets for kids, too. There's a serious lack of vegetables and fruit in peoples diets, not a serious lack of meat or dairy - neither of which are important for proper nutrition.

Books by Dean Ornish, MD and Joel Fuhrman, MD are out there; I recommend you read them.

For the record, I'm not a PETA member nor am I a vegan because I believe it's wrong to eat animals. I just believe it's *unhealthy* to eat them. Have you read the China Study?

http://www.thechinastudy.com/

It's quite illuminating; I recommend you read it as well.

I'm all for animal rights, but Jesus Christ these guys are morons. They need to wise up and learn that the best way to help animals is for them to personally just shut the hell up.

Or maybe they should start supporting the meat industry and make up an ad campaign titled "Vegetarians are rapists"
You can sure bet some people would refuse to eat meat just to refute that claim.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 20 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked