Suggest an underrated movie

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I'm looking for movies to watch that are underrated or under seen. I've seen thousands of movies, and most of the widely popular or mainstream films. Are there any films you consider to be very good that have gone under the radar?

Update: So far I've watched Chopper, The Sunset Limited, and Italian Spiderman, and Frailty based on your suggestions. Thank you so much as these films really hit the spot. I will posting reviews for each of these films over the next few days so check them out(i will post links here).

Snow Angels
Just Peck

Take your pick.

Nothing to go on, huh?

Well, Start off with this I guess.

Allmovie.com Description:
This satirical murder mystery pits a woman who is the epitome of glamour (played by Haruko Wanibuchi) against a clever murderer during a holiday stay at a strange ghostly mansion. Seven young women, who have chosen as nicknames the brand names of much-advertised consumer products, begin to disappear in a decidedly suspicious manner. Are they fashion victims? How else can one explain the eerie coordination between their pastel outfits and the pastels of the rooms in which they appear? It is up to the heroine -- whose every screen appearance is heralded by special lighting, gentle breezes, and a soft camera focus -- to find out what is going on.

Tokyo Sonata is a film I watched recently that I thought was very good...

It's a Japanese live action film, I guess you'd call it a slice of life drama... Brilliant though, I draw parallels to American Beauty.

Chopper. I don't hear it talked about much, but it's a great film, bloody hilarious. Not sure if you will have seen it or not, but I dont know too many people who have. I wouldnt say it was exactly an unknown film either though, but I dont really watch many indie films or whatever.

elizabethtown

Speaking of Aussie gangster films, a new one came out recently called "Animal Kingdom". It was really pretty good, you should check it out. =)

Strange Brew

One of the greatest comedies that no one's ever heard of.

Revolver
Kind Hearts And Coronets

and especially:

Le Comte de Monte-CristoiMDB

It's actually a mini-series for 400 minutes total, but it's one of the best movies or series I've watched, and watched again. And again

The Fall, directed by Tarsem. Just don't watch the trailer. It completely spoils the movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/

Starship Troopers.

Not because its unknown, but because the critical ratings for this film vary wildly.

Some critics give it an about 1/5, stating that it doesn't hold true to the books, and is a terrible recruitment film with space marines.

Some critics on the other hand know that Starship Troopers is a parody of Alien, Predator, other alien films and gung ho army and marine films. They give the movie 4/5 or higher.

The best thing about this movie is that only the director and most of the main actors were in on the joke. There are some pretty terrible clichés in this movie and lots of forced references to army recruitment. The thing that got me the most was when the main dude found out that his family had been killed by the bugs at the start, he then was incensed to join the troopers out of revenge. This is possibly a reason that some people join the armed forces in real life (this still holds true especially after 9/11).

Marter:
Snow Angels
Just Peck

Take your pick.

I remember seeing the trailer to Snow angels a long time ago and being interested. Thanks for reminding me of it, looks to be powerful. and is that girl in Just Peck Scotts Pilgrims ex?

Tremors

Dark Angel (with Dolph Lundgren)

No Escape (with Ray Liotta)

Fortress (with Christopher Lambert)

eh

Flashback (with Dennis Hopper & Kiefer Sutherland)

Shallow Grave (by Danny Boyle)

just, eh, don't spend any real money watching these they are all older "B" movie fair.

The Rocketeer

A really fun and well-made movie from the early 90's based on a comic book about a pilot who discovers a government-made jetpack. Tanked in the box office.
Personally, I liked it because it reminds me of a time when not all movie characters needed to be angsty, cynical or ironic to be compelling.

Kinda reminds me of Raiders

I'd suggest a couple of Bill Murray movies that didn't get much attention: "Lost In Translation" and "Broken Flowers". Excellent films both.

"10 items or less" for a taste of Morgan Freeman playing himself and sharing the screen with Paz Vega. Try "Under Suspicion" for a second helping of Freeman with Gene Hackman opposite.

"Brazil" and "Kafka" for a couple mouthfuls of dystopian black and whiteness, one running to frothy and funny while the other stands bitter and cynical. "The Adventures of Baron Munschausen" for a little more Gilliam.

If you'd like a little humourous action, look to "The Matador" or "La Femme Nikita" if you don't mind French with your gunfire. Follow with "3 A.M." for several slices of life and casual crime.

Oh, and just because I know of so few people who've actually seen it, "Wings of Desire".

ThatDaveDude1:
Nothing to go on, huh?

Well, Start off with this I guess.

Allmovie.com Description:
This satirical murder mystery pits a woman who is the epitome of glamour (played by Haruko Wanibuchi) against a clever murderer during a holiday stay at a strange ghostly mansion. Seven young women, who have chosen as nicknames the brand names of much-advertised consumer products, begin to disappear in a decidedly suspicious manner. Are they fashion victims? How else can one explain the eerie coordination between their pastel outfits and the pastels of the rooms in which they appear? It is up to the heroine -- whose every screen appearance is heralded by special lighting, gentle breezes, and a soft camera focus -- to find out what is going on.

Wow looks like one to watch drunk with a bunch of friends.

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
Why did that movie get such awful reviews? It was GREAT.

Wow the trailer for this was breathtaking. Looks like an emotional roller coaster.

Wadders:
Chopper. I don't hear it talked about much, but it's a great film, bloody hilarious. Not sure if you will have seen it or not, but I dont know too many people who have. I wouldnt say it was exactly an unknown film either though, but I dont really watch many indie films or whatever.

ERIC BANA!?

Moon; it's a tight, well-paced psychologically powerful movie that'll make you go 'What the hell is going on here?' before dropping a metaphorical train on you. Incidentally, it's also one of those movies where saying any more than the barest framing would constitute varying degrees of spoiler, so I'll shut my mouth now.

Mandalore_15:
Speaking of Aussie gangster films, a new one came out recently called "Animal Kingdom". It was really pretty good, you should check it out. =)

Saw it and loved it, one of my top 20 from last year.

Dog Soldiers.

A werewolf movie done on a budget small enough to fit in your pocket, but turns out to be one of the cleverest, scariest, and most entertaining horror movies ever.

mikeli4194:
The Rocketeer

A really fun and well-made movie from the early 90's based on a comic book about a pilot who discovers a government-made jetpack. Tanked in the box office.
Personally, I liked it because it reminds me of a time when not all movie characters needed to be angsty, cynical or ironic to be compelling.

Kinda reminds me of Raiders

good call.

bl4ckh4wk64:
Strange Brew

One of the greatest comedies that no one's ever heard of.

DUDE the moose from brother bear!

I don't know if it's underrated or under-seen, but the movie Moon Child is amazing and should be seen at least once, though be warned that it's a foreign languages movie (two or three besides a small bit of English) with subtitles.
And, though I've yet to actually finish it, Repo! The Genetic Opera is another movie that must been seen.

LoFr3Eq:
Starship Troopers.

Not because its unknown, but because the critical ratings for this film vary wildly.

Some critics give it an about 1/5, stating that it doesn't hold true to the books, and is a terrible recruitment film with space marines.

Some critics on the other hand know that Starship Troopers is a parody of Alien, Predator, other alien films and gung ho army and marine films. They give the movie 4/5 or higher.

The best thing about this movie is that only the director and most of the main actors were in on the joke. There are some pretty terrible clichés in this movie and lots of forced references to army recruitment. The thing that got me the most was when the main dude found out that his family had been killed by the bugs at the start, he then was incensed to join the troopers out of revenge. This is possibly a reason that some people join the armed forces in real life (this still holds true especially after 9/11).

I loved this movie, thought it was highly underrated, better than the star wars prequels for sure. You bring up some interesting points. I got a strong nazi vibe from the "good guys" in the movie. interesting and fun flick.

jjboat:
I remember seeing the trailer to Snow angels a long time ago and being interested. Thanks for reminding me of it, looks to be powerful. and is that girl in Just Peck Scotts Pilgrims ex?

Yes, Brie Larson plays both characters.

Breaker deGodot:
The Fall, directed by Tarsem. Just don't watch the trailer. It completely spoils the movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/

wow you have me intrigued my friend, now i have to watch it.

The Mission.
It's almost criminal how unknown it is, and yet it has an awesome story, phenomenal acting and one of the best soundtracks ever written (according to AFI, #23 out of 100). It stars Robert DeNiro, Jeremy Irons and a much younger Liam Neeson.

CarlMinez:
Attention-grabbing quote is attention-grabbing.

I think this fine fellow will agree with me when I say...

How about Bolt? Despite the fact that Miley Cyrus is in the film and plays a rather important role to the plot overall, I still rank it up there with my top animated films. John Travolta is great as Bolt in addition to Rhino being an incredibly funny character.

The story is interesting, the animation is great, and the movie itself is just a pleasure to watch.

Give it chance. You might like it. I sure did.

Raven's Nest:
Tokyo Sonata is a film I watched recently that I thought was very good...

It's a Japanese live action film, I guess you'd call it a slice of life drama... Brilliant though, I draw parallels to American Beauty.

Wow the trailer for this was breathtaking. Looks like an emotional roller coaster.

twistedmic:
I don't know if it's underrated or under-seen, but the movie Moon Child is amazing and should be seen at least once, though be warned that it's a foreign languages movie (two or three besides a small bit of English) with subtitles.
And, though I've yet to actually finish it, Repo! The Genetic Opera is another movie that must been seen.

I watch a lot of foreign language films lately so i dont mind subtitles. I'll give it a look.

I will always suggest Boondock Saints I&II and Lucky Number Slevin. For a random, completely unknown film that's really great: Primer. Look it up on Google.

Dune, The original film from the 80's. seriously underrated for such an amazing Sci-Fi. Only reason why it didn't do well on release was because it came out the same year as one of the original star wars movies, which dwarfed it by comparison. But it is a very Epic film.

Also the first 2 movies that MintyNinja recommended. Those flicks are Awesome too.

Z of the Na'vi:
How about Bolt? Despite the fact that Miley Cyrus is in the film and plays a rather important role to the plot overall, I still rank it up there with my top animated films. John Travolta is great as Bolt in addition to Rhino being an incredibly funny character.

The story is interesting, the animation is great, and the movie itself is just a pleasure to watch.

Give it chance. You might like it. I sure did.

Kinda liked it, but not at a pixar or disney classic level. I should probably watch it again though.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked