What is the best Rock/Metal band in history(so far)?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Iron Maiden. End of discussion.

Don't get me wrong, there are loads of great bands out there. I'm a huge fan of Judas Priest, Metallica, AC/DC, Disturbed, Motorhead, Avenged Sevenfold, to name but a few. But for me, the undisputed king of metal is Iron Maiden.

Could care less about Van Halen.

The question of "which is the best Rock-Metal band in history so far" is a pointless one because the question of "What is good in a rock band" is more or less subjective.

However, if you're talking about performance ability, then we can talk more objectively.

In which case I'd say Led Zeppelin, which had the best combination of performance talent in one band that I can think of.

Wyld Stallyns.

Their music saves the world; what more can you ask for.

If he counts, Bob Dylan.

ZZ Top is my all time favorite band

You can't go wrong with classic rock.

Well my favorites are Dinosaur Jr. And Nirvana...

I cannot think of a band more appropriate for this thread than...

Honestly, a few years ago my life consisted of roaming Azeroth and listening to Sonata Arctica (and other Power Metal bands). Power Metal is literally a fantasy novel and an RPG combined into something even more amazing than the sum of its parts.

Blind guardian !!!!!

best band to have walked this earth =p

The Offspring. I've just never heard another band quuuite like them. Well...to be fair, they're my favorite, idk if I could honestly say the best. The best to me is prooobably ACDC.

The Night Shade:
What no AC/DC? I'm dissapointed

THANK YOU. I was getting pretty mad no one had said it yet.

well i don't pit my favorites against each other
i use them as an allstar superstar tag team comboe which features
Queen The Beatles AcDc The Who The Rolling Stones Black Sabbath Aerosmith Led Zeppelin
and Marilyn Manson

King Crimson has to be my favorite band of all time, hands down.

Ulver! Enough content, creativity and diversity for three bands.

AC lightning bolt DC

Naa naaa naaaa naaaa naa naaa naaa naaaaa

IMO, Pink Floyd and AC/DC are the two greatest rock bands ever, probably in that order.

The beatles. You know, sometimes bands sell more albums than any other band in the world for a reason

For me it's Into Eternity.
They've gone through 4 nearly-completely-different lineups, and all of them have made flawless music. And the current lineup has who has to be one of the best vocalists out there.
This is where I'd link a song, but I don't want to go through the hour-long process of deciding which to link. I love all of 'em.

Im gonna go with Rise Against

I don't know if somebody has already named them, but I think The New Yarbirds are by far the best rock/metal/folk/is that guy playing guitar like it was a violin?/blues band in history.

Queens of the Stone Age, simple

Metallica. nuff said

Heaven Shall Burn, and nobody can convince me otherwise...

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Okay, Number 1, you're putting Rock and Metal in the same category. That's bad. That's like saying Final Fantasy VII and Oblivion are the same because you wander around an open world killing stuff.

Rock: Can't go wrong with The Who or The Rolling Stones
Hard Rock: Guns & Roses, AC/DC, or my personal pick for the category, Sonata Arctica
Metal: 4 Pillars of the Metal Temple: Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Metallica
Heavy Metal: Cradle of Filth or Nine Inch Nails would work fine.
Symphonic Metal: Nightwish, Within Temptation
Grunge Rock: Nirvana, Pearl Jam
Acid Metal: There is only one answer: Butthole Surfers.

This guy knows his stuff!!

Amazing band all of them, even if there are a couple i don't like and no rock list is complete without The Mars Volta.

nothing in this world can beat, Apocalyptica.

Metal WITH CHELLO'S!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf2aIVKp1OY

Faith No More cause you said the best and not the most popular.

Zebidizy:
Blind guardian !!!!!

best band to have walked this earth =p

Heh, I was just playing their Wheel of time song while reading the books, was awesome.
So they're in contention, but I might have to go with Kamelot.
(Dream Theater is in the running too)

I'd have to say Avenged Sevenfold, as is made obvious by my deathbat avatar. Close second is Green Day. Yes, I am the sort of heretic who listens to both metal and punk. Deal with it.

No one said it yet? Why am I always the first one to have too?...SABATON!!!

Chalacachaca:
I don't know if somebody has already named them, but I think The New Yarbirds are by far the best rock/metal/folk/is that guy playing guitar like it was a violin?/blues band in history.

I see what you did there. I like The Nobs too.

Gojira

Sooo much win.
Or if you want pure technical ability then...

listen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc

And the award for most subjective thread goes to...

Fuck it, it's gotta be Iron Maiden.

GWAR.

Anyone who has seen them live can vouch for me.

Rock: The Beatles.
Prog Rock: King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Can, Frank Zappa.
Punk Rock: Black Flag
Metal: Black Sabbath, Neurosis, Cynic.

All other opinions are invalid.

Deal with it. ;-)

Master_of_Oldskool:
I'd have to say Avenged Sevenfold, as is made obvious by my deathbat avatar. Close second is Green Day. Yes, I am the sort of heretic who listens to both metal and punk. Deal with it.

Well... I'd call Avenged more Hard rock nowadays anyway. So. Its not quite the same as listening to say, Daath or Meshuggah and Green Day.

Just sayin'

w9496:
Pretty self explanatory.

I think that Van Halen is the best metal band so far. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, knows who they are, and most people like a decent chunk of their songs.

So, what do y'all think?

I think you're very, very wrong but that's the thing with opinions, they can never be truly wrong.

As far as my favourites go (I try to avoid the word 'best') my all time favourite band is Bad Religion. As far as Metal goes it's difficult to say because of the (annoying and redundant) argument as to what qualifies as Metal. Maybe Avenged Sevenfold or Disturbed.

Cue someone with a bunch of (annoying and redundant) reasons why Avenged isn't Metal.

Edit: Also here is some Bad Religion for your listening pleasure.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked