Scott Pilgrim "hipster garbage"?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg:
Hipsters are best explained as conforming to anticonformity. Usually trust fund babies this means most hispters have money but have the hygiene of a filthy hippy. They pride themselves on "I liked [insert thing] before it was mainstream/cool/popular." or being "ironic" without actually knowing what irony is, it really just makes them sound like children. While on the subject of acting like children, hipsters act like they're in high school, even the thirty something acts like a overly dramatic kid. Did I mention they have horrible hygiene practices?

Now that you know how to identify the hipster, I wouldn't know I never watched Scott Pilgrim and I have no intention to. Maybe the hipsters view it as "edgy" or "underground".

I have the series. From what was said by O Malley, he added more hipster references because haters were gonna hate. Still a great series about needing to grow up and move on in life.

A hipster for me:
-Is pretentious
-Thinks everything is crap
-Doesn't like mainstream stuff or sell-outs
-Is usually an artist, maybe frustrated
-Makes up silly meanings and reasons for some movie, music, painting, whatevs that doesn't warrant it
-Has bad hygiene habits
-Usually smokes
-Has stupid bob cut hair, "V" neck line, square pattern shirts, tight pants, pointy shoes.

Not every hipster has all of these...qualities, though.

The Scott Pilgrim Movie and graphic novels aren't "hipster" by any means, I've come to figure out that it's really a comic by a geek for geeks starring hipsters with a lot of light hearted jabbing at hipsters.

Oh and in terms of definition? I got an analysis right here.

Probably because hipster-ism is a fad, and like all fads is generally flash-in-the-pan nonsense that disappears a few years from when it starts. Like "grunge" "raver" "emo" and all the other young-person's pop culture crap, its not a definition of "who-you-are" but a transitional phase between adolescent/teen to young adult to collegiate age adult. Much like how a lot of 1st/2nd/3rd year college students suddenly believe they have the world figured out and become politically active or rebel against "the man" (see the hippie/zombie episode of South Park for satirical reference).
As people get older and identity sorts itself out, most people look back at the fads they were a part of and think "damn, I was just some clueless kid who thought he/she had it all figured out". Its part of the growing process and not everyone goes through it.
Hell at one point I liked Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer.
Not denigrating these things though, just saying that subcultures like the "hipster" thing tend to fade out pretty quick... though I wish the whole "wigger" thing would go the same way... /crotchety old man

Am I the only one who finds people who constantly complain about and make fun of hipsters 100x as annoying, smug and obnoxious than what they claim hipsters to be?

From my experience hipsters are only really likely to...

Wear vintage/retro/second hand clothing
Buy vinyl records
Wear ironic t-shirts and skinny jeans
Have an interest in film photography
Have an interest in 'obscure' music
Spend far too much time on Tumblr following art and photography blogs

I literally have no idea where the stereotypes that hipsters...

Never wash
Have a smug sense of superiority over everyone else
Are total dicks about music they discovered before other people
Don't like ANYTHING mainstream
Hate to conform to anything

...come from. They only ever come from people who's only experience with hipsters is either from what people tell them on the internet and maybe having seen a few around if you live in a city. They're honestly just people, most of them are quite nice and it kind of annoys me when people on the internet are constantly calling my friends (and even me, I s'pose, depending on your definition of what qualifies a 'hipster') douchebags when, ironically, it's the people on the internet being the douches.

tl;dr hipsters aren't as bad as the internet tells you - stop being a dick, please (also this: http://tinyurl.com/6afukg9)

tippy2k2:
Now why are we so jumpy about it being called "hipster"? It's not really a derogatory term and I would agree with the hipster label for the movie (I absolutely adore this movie, so calm down and hear me out):

Now I'm going with Urban Dictionaries (with most definitions I can find being similar) definition of hipster for this:

"Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter "

Now, going off of this definition...

"Subculture designed for men/women in their 20's and 30's"? Sounds like the key demographic of this movie.

"Independent thinking, counter-culture, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter"? Well, considering most people's arguments for the greatest of the movie is how different and creative the movie is, I think this is a resounding yes. Also, it's not exactly mainstream, so I would even check the counter-culture option. It's the kind of movie you can see someone name dropping, knowing that the person they are talking to likely has not seen it.

"An appreciation of art and indie-rock"? I doubt I have to say anything about this if you've seen the movie.

Being "hipster" does not make you a bad person, just like a movie having hipster qualities does not make it a bad movie.. Being a douche-bag hipster on the other hand...

I came into this thread ready to defend the movie and the comics as in say they're not at all 'hipster'. But after reading your methodical breakdown of the definition of the term (Urban Dictionaries at-least) I cant help but agree that yes both incarnations of the material are indeed hipster and that that is by no means a bad thing

Recently, I realized that it is not worth it to hate hipsters. It doesn't mean anything, and it is getting to a point where it is time to cut back a little on the hate. You know whats okay to hate? Assholes. People who get their kicks from other people's misery. How about that?

OT: Scott Pilgrim is a hipster. The series is still good.

blakfayt:
- snip -

One the one hand, you have "hipsters," who are what "punks" used to be -- people who adhere to an intentionally contradictory identity. "I like it because you hate it," or "I like it because I'm not supposed to like it," or "I like it because no one else seems to remember it." In the end, it's "I like the attention I get for dressing in oddball ways, and the scorn I imagine people feel for me gives me a reason to continue being pretentious and unapproachable because I don't know any better."

When their "territory" is threatened, they'll retreat behind the fact that they liked it first. Further proof that it's not about the item itself, but about the illusion of individuality.

But then on the other hand, you've got the meta-hipsters. They're the ones convinced that they were hipsters before these other hipsters were hipsters.

And the off in left field, you've got the anti-hipsters. They specifically pick on or avoid things that were at one point attached to a perceived hipster. You'll probably hear them talk about hipsters more than you hear meta-hipsters do it, and that's saying something.

All three groups suffer from the same problem: They think that being individual has something to do with pushing against an existing identity. They take their sense of self from someone else, just by opposition rather than imitation. They're all fiercely dependent on each other, or they'd have to face just how little identity they've managed to cultivate.

Problem: Identity is not the same as individuality. People should just quit trying to be individual. It won't happen. No matter what, there are tons of other people out there just like you, even if you never meet them. While this might sound nihilistic, really it's quite liberating. Once you realize it's impossible to be completely individual, you can just do what you like, without having to worry about who agrees or disagrees.

So, keep on with your Scott Pilgrim, if you enjoy it.

Rawne1980:

funguy2121:

Saving Private Ryan. The Doors. Braveheart. Alexander. G.I. Jane. The Social Network. Star Wars (specifically, the Jedi - look it up). Charlie Wilson's War. Ali.

Yup. Real snooze-fest there.

At least you've admitted your bias - you watch movies to escape, and there isn't anything inherently wrong with that. However, people who insist a bit too sternly that movies should exist purely as escapism (now, that's irony) often end up disliking any realism in the any form in movies. All of the above movies are based on a true story. The Jedi of Star wars are based on ancient Egyptian warriors. A whole shit-ton of people love and appreciate these films. You are of course entitled to disagree.

I'll remove Star Wars because I was aiming at movies based on real life not a set of characters in a movie. I'm pretty sure Egyption warriors didn't swing around lightsabers so the basings are loose to start with.

The rest, and while it is opinion, are dull.

I know what happened in history, why oh why would I subject myself to movies about it?

Maybe excapism isn't the word I was looking for so i'll swing for enjoyment. I like to enjoy a movie and realism isn't what I want to watch a movie for.

I watch for a bit of fantasy, make believe call it what you will.

However I didn't say movies should exist purely for escapism I said thats what I watch them for. People have different reasons for watching a movie.

But we can sit here and argue semantics until we grow old and grey it will change neither of our minds. The films you mentioned, while viewed as good for others, were incredibly boring to me.

I don't share the same taste as a lot of people, I don't listen to the same music as a lot of people and I don't like the same movies as a lot of people.

You can tell me how fantastic those movies you mentioned are but thats only how they were to you, I didn't like them. No argument or debate will change my view on true life based movies just as none will change yours.

We shall just agree to disagree.

No, sir. You do not get to Fez me. It is I who Fed'd you!

(that's a joke for all to whom it may not be self-evident).

Just about all stories are based in some way on real life. As for Star Wars, I shall cede your point that blades made of light were not around, at least to our knowledge, in ancient Egypt. You may have noticed that I didn't mention the made-up weapons. The Jedi were still based on ancient Egyptian warriors. The rest of Star Wars, aside from the basic story Lucas wrote out at first, from the images to the plot points, comes from cultural archetypes ranging from Beowulf (the rancor battle) to the Bible (messiah thread) to Flash Gordon (scrolling story in lieu of opening credits).

It's hipster-ish, but it's not "garbage," not by a long shot.

If you don't like things because they're popular, wear glasses (preferably oversized ones) despite having perfect eyesight, have grown a moustache (or made some other fashion choice) not because you think it's cool or you like it, but because you want to look weird "ironically", brag about knowing about things before they went mainstream, and wear that bloody afghan-scarf without having done any research on the Palestine-Israel case or being interested in politics or world relations; yeah you're a hipster and a douche.

The attitudes and behaviours associated with hipsters are normally seen as annoying at best.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/hipster-kitty#.Tj2kyWH4KeI
http://hipsterhitler.com/

I wouldn't know if Scott Pilgrim or its target demographic fits this description though.

Squarez:

tl;dr hipsters aren't as bad as the internet tells you - stop being a dick, please (also this: http://tinyurl.com/6afukg9)

You had a good post, and thanks for that video! I hadn't seen it before. It weird, I feel like I've said that hundreds of times on forums, yet I suspect a simple video like that would convey it better than all the text in the world.

I would have seen the movie if Michael Cera hadn't been in it, god damn that guy isn't even an actor, he's just some guy muttering his lines like he's giving a speech somewhere and is terrified...or he's the male version of the low talker from Seinfeld.

I have no idea what a "hipster" is, all I know is that Scott Pilgrim was one of the two funniest movies I have ever seen in my life, and I couldn't tell you which one is actually funnier(it's Accepted if you're curious).

Rawne1980:

BaronUberstein:

I do hope you're joking, because real life is plenty exciting. During WWII there was a Norwegian who hand-launched torpedoes at German ships. People climb mountains and dive to the deepest depths of the ocean. If you don't find anything interesting or exciting about the real world, the thing on which all 'exciting' fantasy is based to some degree, then I would have to say YOU'RE the dull one because you can't find excitement unless it's handed to you on a plate with special effects.

As for the Scott Pilgrim movie, never saw it. I suggest to the OP that you simply watch what movies you want to watch. If your friends throw a fit because you like a movie, they're probably dicks.

I applaud you for completely missreading what I put and jumping to a terribly bad conclusion.

I in no way, shape or form said that real life was boring I said that MOVIES BASED on real life were boring.

I give you ...... Open Water ...... a film based off a real life event that was so dreary there was a chorus of snoring in theatres across the globe on it's release.

I live in real life i'm well aware of what goes on in real life I see it every day. I have quite a lot of fun in my life and would never claim life to be boring at all.

However when I watch a movie I do so to escape real life for a short period of time and have found that movies based on things I see everyday tend to be mind numbingly dull.

So, Enemy at the Gates was boring?

Charlie Wilson's War was boring?

Ever see North Face? I doubt that climbing the Eiger is based on things you see every day.

Heck, I even find many documentaries exciting, ever see Inside Job? That's a nice one that really gets the blood boiling in sheer anger at what happened.

Movies based off a true story can be just as or more exciting than fantasy movies. They can also be boring. It matters on the individual viewing them. I find it absurd that just because YOU find a type of movie boring, you can brand an entire group of people who enjoy them as boring.

I never really understood what a hipster is supposed to be. Every definition I see is either really general or doesn't fit at all what people say examples of hipsters are, so I've never been able to figure this out. Like I heard once that a hipster was someone who used circumaural headphones in public, but I don't see why you would hate people for doing that ... or that hipsters watch or listen to things `ironically', I mean what the hell does that even mean? Sometimes I watch bad movies and things because it's hilarious how stupid they are (like the transformers movies), is it like that? Because `ironic' obviously doesn't really mean `ironic' in this instance, because that would imply that they're watching it simply because it's something they wouldn't usually watch and for no other reason, and nobody is that stupid ... I guess part of it is I have never actually met any hipsters irl, I don't think ...

OT: Scott Pilgrim is awesome. He's kind of a douchebag and I hate him sometimes but that's what makes him interesting. I love the comics, I love the movie, I love the characters, it's all awesome. Does that make me hipster? I don't know the meaning of the word. As I've explained already :P

"Hipster" gets thrown around nearly as much as what "epic" does; to the point where it's starting to lose its original definition and just becomes meaningless.

Concerning Scott Pilgrim specifically, I've only ever watched the film and read the first comic book, and I think it's fun and clever and kinda cute, in its way. I like it. If anything, Scott Pilgrim doesn't necessarily attract hipsters, per se, but the kind of people (not the entire fan base, mind, but a portion) who cream themselves because "OMG IT'S SO NERDY GUIZ, LOLOLOL VIDYA GAEM REFERENCES!!!111!" which is just as freaking annoying as a hipster. I understand revelling in something that's so popular and critically-acclaimed after how much flak nerds have taken over the years and whatnot, but it's not some be-all and end-all of nerd culture and it doesn't need worshipping like it is. Goddamn.

So yes, I think it is somewhat overrated because of that vocal slice of fans who bask too much in what is at the end of the day a label, but they aren't necessarily hipsters. A hipster, by definition, would be someone who hates something just because it's popular and vice versa, meaning that, really, a hipster would probably get pissed off by Scott Pilgrim because it's "too mainstream" now.

EDIT:

DarthFennec:
I never really understood what a hipster is supposed to be. Every definition I see is either really general or doesn't fit at all what people say examples of hipsters are, so I've never been able to figure this out. Like I heard once that a hipster was someone who used circumaural headphones in public, but I don't see why you would hate people for doing that ... or that hipsters watch or listen to things `ironically', I mean what the hell does that even mean? Sometimes I watch bad movies and things because it's hilarious how stupid they are (like the transformers movies), is it like that? Because `ironic' obviously doesn't really mean `ironic' in this instance, because that would imply that they're watching it simply because it's something they wouldn't usually watch and for no other reason, and nobody is that stupid ... I guess part of it is I have never actually met any hipsters irl, I don't think ...

The most common definition of a hipster is somebody who hates things just because they are popular (or "mainstream"), and then love other things just because they are obscure, regardless of the quality in either case. That's why a lot of people think they're douchebags. (Watching crappy movies because they're hilariously bad isn't hipster, BTW. You're safe.) The "irony" thing is just a stupid thing hipsters are infamous for saying now, like, "My t-shirt is so ironic." 99.9% of the time, it doesn't ever fit the definition of ironic anyway. It's just kind of a trope now.

I think there's a difference between something being 'hipster garbage' and something being about people who could be considered a hipster (the jury's out really about whether I'd call Scott a hipster. We don't really have that concept in the UK, we'd probably call Scott a slacker indie rocker).

I love the film and I've read the first volume of the comics and found it really good and I wouldn't call myself a hipster.

If someone doesn't like something, it really annoys me that they have to decry it by associating it with people who they personally don't like. *sigh* Never mind, I thought Scott Pilgrim was great and it's one of my favourite films.

"Hipster" is simply the new catch word for describing something one doesn't like.

There really is nothing else to it.

DarthFennec:
... or that hipsters watch or listen to things `ironically', I mean what the hell does that even mean?

Nobody really does this. I think the idea came from "liking" something on facebook and then having to explain that you agreed with what the person was saying about something bad (such as genocide or apartheid) and weren't actually giving the horrible thing the thumbs up. The phenomenon of liking something ironically in real life is something I've never encountered, and I've been to/lived in the only 2 hipster/punk/hippie/hesher towns in Texas. People are regurgitating what they've seen on dumbed down, mass-market sitcoms - the exact kind of entertainment that hipsters either wouldn't pull their stick out of their ass and step down from their high horse long enough to watch or would watch, then decide it's not worth their time because it's actually not very funny and is insulting to its own target demographic. I don't recall the names of these shows but think 2 1/2 Men for twenty-/thirty-somethings.

And, in case any one's wondering, I don't wear skinny jeans. But let's be clear: there is a huge difference between someone who wears an unnatural hair color that is different from yours and mine, and is an interesting, engaging person to speak to who can evoke a thought or two, and a person who wants to revive the 80's and bring The Smiths back, and feels a quite objectively false sense of superiority towards all who do not wish we could go back thirty years and revive that homogenous, effite band. Also, let's not forget what happened to Family Guy. It was cancelled and then brought out of relative obscurity by hardcore fans, and returned to network television. Now it's basically a series of Maxim jokes for frat boys. So any phenomenon dynamic enough to attract the attention of a few can and in all likelihood will attract quite a few other people who pretend to get it.

DarthFennec:

Sometimes I watch bad movies and things because it's hilarious how stupid they are (like the transformers movies), is it like that? Because `ironic' obviously doesn't really mean `ironic' in this instance, because that would imply that they're watching it simply because it's something they wouldn't usually watch and for no other reason, and nobody is that stupid ... I guess part of it is I have never actually met any hipsters irl, I don't think ...

People have been doing that forever, and they don't do it to be seen doing it; they do it because it's amusing. If you haven't, I recommend you check out Mystery Science Theater 3000. It's just three dudes (OK, a dude and 2 robots) watching some of the worst b movies from the 80's and early 90's. Escape 2000, Time Chasers, and Kitten With a Whip are good places to start.

Wearing sunglasses(sometimes without lenses) indoors and unnecessarily ridiculous bits of clothes you could shred in seconds constitutes as hipster fashion and iconography.

Hipsters pollute fan bases of music that is neither heavy nor mainstream,(Or they at least act like they do) look up Squarepusher for an example, or think for a moment of how the bastards are moving in on the 8-bit and Chiptune places of the music world and annoying the fuck out of everyone else who just wants to listen to an otherwise good band or DJ!

And here's the other thing about Hipsters. They're prone to go with fads about as bad as tweens are, just with different, pretentious kinds of fads.
So, with this in mind I invite you to the list of 7 evil ex-boyfriends Ramona Flowers dated.
1. Matthew Patel, who dresses like a pirate, dances worse than someone without rhythm, and summons "demon hipster chicks" in his fight against Scott. Hipster
2. Lucas Lee, though at first was presented as a tough-as-nails actor/skateboarder, is instead revealed in the books to be a victim of obsessing over Hipster fashion(the way Ramona looks like a 'cool' girl because of unnaturally coloured hair), which in turn made him overcompensate into becoming a self-gratifying narcissist. Not a hipster, but affected by their wake and shrouds himself in another stereotype to feel good.
3. Todd Ingram is a self-righteous Vegan who plays upon impressing other people with his musical talent and vanity. Enough said. Hipster
4. Roxie Richter Stylised herself as a crazy lesbian 'half-ninja.' (only a dumb american could think that term up in a sad claim to western values of individuality) Besides that, she enjoys throwing abuse at Scott and tries to make him feel insecure about his manhood. Not a Hipster, but still a foul piece of work.
5%6. Kyle and Ken Katayanagi use their technical expertees in the film to impress a crowd with a 'techno-synth' two-headed dragon. In the books they build Robots and kidnap Kim. In both cases, if their dress sense doesn't label them as incestual homosexuals, then the only alternative is pretentious Hipsters.
7. Gideon Graves. I don't even have to explain him. Hipster.

If the Scott Pilgrim Series shows us anything, its that Hipsters are in fact the embodiment of evil in most cases and are the dark fallacy in pursuing one's individuality via personal tastes in music and mannerisms. That's what it showed me anyway, besides the stark difference between fictional relationships and real life ones, where miscommunication and disinterest are the rule.

Let's get it straight - what's a hipster? :D

People love to throw around the word hipster on the internet as an insult when someone doesn't like a popular film, book, album, video game, or show. Especially when that person puts a less popular thing in its place.

For Example:

First Poster: Wow I really love this new Staind album. What do you guys think about it?
Second Poster: Eh its not really my thing.
First Poster: You must like that hipster garbage if you don't like Staind stop trying to stomp all over the music I like.
Second Poster: I wasn't trying to do that all I said was I didn't like it.
First Poster: HIPSTER! Stop trying to hinder my enjoyment.

So basically you can replace Staind album with Transformers 3, Call Of Duty, Jersey Shore, or any other popular thing in whatever category you like and thats usually how the conversation will go if someone doesn't like it. Believe me I have had so many conversations like that over music its ridiculous.

EDIT: I guess you could call me a hipster in some cases, but I'm definately not a douchebag. People love to use the word hipster like its a synonym for douchebag and its not. I see as the name thats been put on the counter-culture movement just like the word hippy was in the 60s and 70s. Lots of people back then hated hippies and lots of people hate hipsters because they are the counter-culture.

EDIT #2:

Squarez:

Basically that is how I feel about this whole situation. You've put it so much more simply than I ever could.

funguy2121:

DarthFennec:

Sometimes I watch bad movies and things because it's hilarious how stupid they are (like the transformers movies), is it like that? Because `ironic' obviously doesn't really mean `ironic' in this instance, because that would imply that they're watching it simply because it's something they wouldn't usually watch and for no other reason, and nobody is that stupid ... I guess part of it is I have never actually met any hipsters irl, I don't think ...

People have been doing that forever, and they don't do it to be seen doing it; they do it because it's amusing. If you haven't, I recommend you check out Mystery Science Theater 3000. It's just three dudes (OK, a dude and 2 robots) watching some of the worst b movies from the 80's and early 90's. Escape 2000, Time Chasers, and Kitten With a Whip are good places to start.

I absolutely love MST3K and RiffTrax. And I did say I do that, watch bad movies because it's funny how bad they are. But to watch something ironically would be to watch bad movies simply because the act of doing so is ironic, and that doesn't make any sense. To have irony also implies that there's an audience, so if people do it just for the amusement it's not irony. It's just laughing at how stupid the movie is.

Tomasz Witowski:
Let's get it straight - what's a hipster? :D

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah I have the same question :P

ZeroMachine:

Grospoliner:
Anyone who can't read the subtext of a film, game, or story and then mocks it is an ignorant jackass who is incapable of appreciating the value of that media. We should pity them, not scorn them as it is their lives that are less rich for the lack of understanding.

Yes.

People that don't like what you like are ignorant jackasses. Way to hypocrite, bro.

That utter ridiculousness aside, the only reasons Scott Pilgrim is called "hipster garbage" is because it's very popular with hipsters. That's it.

I wouldn't say it's hipster garbage. I would say "I hate it, it's not my type of movie". But I want to check out the comic.

What I would say is that it's become a somewhat hipster symbol. But that's about it. It isn't inherently "hipster". Nothing is, save for certain clothing lines that specifically market to hipsters. Hipsters just tend to be drawn to certain things for a while, like every type of person, and Scott Pilgrim was (is?) one of those things.

I was mocking a film, book, or game in what way? Kindly remember I never stated at any point that I considered an individual was not open to being criticized, quite the opposite. So essentially you're criticizing me for my criticism of others who blindly deride something without first investigating its merits. You might want to brush up on the definition of hypocrisy.

Watching it right now. It IS hipster garbage, but it's decent hipster garbage.

I have a hipster friend that kind of reminds me of Scott Pilgrim. He'll never watch the movie though, no matter how often me and friends badger him to see it.

The main problem is that it has descended from being a sub-culture, into being a label. So if you meet any of the criteria that could classify you as a hipster, you automatically fit all of them.

It's just like back in 2007(?) when Emos where the newest punching bag and anyone who wore black was assumed to also cut their wrists.

I'm obviously exaggerating a bit, but don't deny that there's truth in there.

Grospoliner:

ZeroMachine:

Grospoliner:
Anyone who can't read the subtext of a film, game, or story and then mocks it is an ignorant jackass who is incapable of appreciating the value of that media. We should pity them, not scorn them as it is their lives that are less rich for the lack of understanding.

Yes.

People that don't like what you like are ignorant jackasses. Way to hypocrite, bro.

That utter ridiculousness aside, the only reasons Scott Pilgrim is called "hipster garbage" is because it's very popular with hipsters. That's it.

I wouldn't say it's hipster garbage. I would say "I hate it, it's not my type of movie". But I want to check out the comic.

What I would say is that it's become a somewhat hipster symbol. But that's about it. It isn't inherently "hipster". Nothing is, save for certain clothing lines that specifically market to hipsters. Hipsters just tend to be drawn to certain things for a while, like every type of person, and Scott Pilgrim was (is?) one of those things.

I was mocking a film, book, or game in what way? Kindly remember I never stated at any point that I considered an individual was not open to being criticized, quite the opposite. So essentially you're criticizing me for my criticism of others who blindly deride something without first investigating its merits. You might want to brush up on the definition of hypocrisy.

You were mocking someone for mocking something because they "didn't understand it" even though you probably don't fully understand why they're mocking it.

Not everyone mocks something because they don't understand it, something you didn't seem to understand.

That's why you were being hypocritical.

Pretty simple.

All I know is I liked Scott Pilgrim before it was cool. :-P

Hipster? Maybe.
Garbage? No.

Although my avatar makes it fairly obvious that I'm not really unbiased in this.

ZeroMachine:

Grospoliner:

ZeroMachine:

Yes.

You were mocking someone for mocking something because they "didn't understand it" even though you probably don't fully understand why they're mocking it.

Not everyone mocks something because they don't understand it, something you didn't seem to understand.

That's why you were being hypocritical.

Pretty simple.

Windmills do not work that way. Good night.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite

Scott Pilgrim isn't a hipster >.>. Character/comic/movie/song (There's a song by Plumtree) isn't hipster.

If you want a hipster character from Scott Pilgrim it would probably be between Mobile and Matthew Patel.

ZeroMachine:

Dense_Electric:

ZeroMachine:

You don't have to like something to be able to appreciate it. I don't care for Elvis Presley, but I damn well appreciate why some people did, and the fact that he laid the ground-work for the music I love.

He's right that they're ignorant jackasses, they're mocking something they don't understand because they don't understand it.

Or they're mocking it because they don't like it.

I don't think that's what he said.

Grospoliner:

I'm pretty sure he meant that people who don't like things, and aren't shy in opining on the matter, had better be informed on it at least, because otherwise they'll be behaving like a jackass.

Like your example, as you understood the Lost finale, you're not behaving like a jackass for not liking it. But if someone hates something for the sake of hating it rather than knowing what it is they hate and why, they're just being a disagreeable cunt.

Sorry if this has already been replied to, and I agree with your sentiment, I think you just misread a part of his statement (or I did :|).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked