Poll: How do YOU say "Melee"?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Ever since Super Smash Bro Melee (the intro) I jut say it as "May-Lay".

It's a French word I believe, spelt "mêlée", so it is pronounced "meh-lay".

EDIT: a source - http://french.about.com/od/pronunciation/a/e.htm

Well, since the correct spelling with accents is Mêlée, I'm gonna go with Meh-Lay. Used to say Mee-Lee for ages until I learnt how to spell/ pronounce it properly, then I changed how I said it. Now I get annoyed by people who say Mee-Lee.

Hosker:
It's a French word I believe, spelt "mêlée", so it is pronounced "meh-lay".

Christ, ninja'd by the person above me. How unfortunate.

I tend to switch between Meh-Lay and Meh-Lee

My friends say Mee-lee, but I say it Meh-lay.

I alternate between Meh-lay and mee-lay. It's one of those words, like shaman (shar-mun and Shay-mun).

and yet another thread full of people that think they could write english phonetically without using the phonetical alphabet.
Sorry guys you can write
"May-Lay"
"Meh-Lay"
"Mee-Lay"
"Mee-Lee"
"Meh-Lee"
as much as you want but guess what, that's not phonetical each of this options can be pronounced in several ways so the value of this thread= 0. One of the features of english language (as someone else stated before in this thread) is that writing and pronounciation doesnt have to do very much with each other.
You can pronoune "ghoti" as "fish" if you want. (see "enough" "women" "nation" gh-o-ti = fish)
So if you want to transcribe something phonetically , use the international phonetical alphabet (IPA)

I say me-lee or may-lay. Which one is correct, I don't care

I say either Mel-ee or May-lay. Generally Mel-ee since that's what it looks like.

melee as in Melee island tm. :D

i wonder if somebody pronounces it "meal-eh"

I accidentally voted may-lay, but I normally pronounce it meh-lay.

Fetzenfisch:
and yet another thread full of people that think they could write english phonetically without using the phonetical alphabet.
Sorry guys you can write
"May-Lay"
"Meh-Lay"
"Mee-Lay"
"Mee-Lee"
"Meh-Lee"
as much as you want but guess what, that's not phonetical each of this options can be pronounced in several ways so the value of this thread= 0. One of the features of english language (as someone else stated before in this thread) is that writing and pronounciation doesnt have to do very much with each other.
You can pronoune "ghoti" as "fish" if you want. (see "enough" "women" "nation" gh-o-ti = fish)
So if you want to transcribe something phonetically , use the international phonetical alphabet (IPA)

You may be correct, but I doubt many people here can read IPA. How many people would be able to understand mɛleɪ?

Meh, I think native english speakers (at least) will be able to understand all of those options.

samwd1:
im the only one who says mee-lee?

if it sounds like may lay, I TOWULD BE SPEALT MAY LAY! BUT ITS NOT ITS SPEALT ME! AND ITS SPEALT LEE! MELEE! YOU PEOPLE CANT SPEAK MY LANGUAGE SO IM LEAVING!

How do you pronounce "through".
How do you pronounce "trough".

Are you going to rage at those, since they're only one letter away from each other and are pronounced completely differently.

English doesn't make sense. Deal with it.

Meh-Lay
Because thats the way the guildmaster in Fable 1 said it, and that was the first time I heard it spoken.
Before that I called it Mee-Lee

I actually pronounce it Mel-ey. The closest to that in your Poll was Mee-Lay. Go figure.

Muh-Lay, which may or may not be simmilar to "meh-lay," but I chose other. Sorry if that screws things up.

I had friends in high school who used to pronounce it like the name "milly" or the "milli" in "millimeter."

It does not "switch." It's never "Mee-Lee."

The correct pronunciation is "May-Lay."

Given that it is derived from the French, mêlée, I pronounce the word as it is pronounced in its original language, this being "meh-lay". As poor as my grasp of foreign languages is, I like to give them proper deference when necessary.

I say meh-lay.

"May-loy" is how we pronounce it where I come from!

James Joseph Emerald:

SL33TBL1ND:

samwd1:
im the only one who says mee-lee?

if it sounds like may lay, I TOWULD BE SPEALT MAY LAY! BUT ITS NOT ITS SPEALT ME! AND ITS SPEALT LEE! MELEE! YOU PEOPLE CANT SPEAK MY LANGUAGE SO IM LEAVING!

The actual word has accents. So...

Nobody every uses the accents though, so I think if you're not going to bother with them, it should be pronounced the way it's spelled.

Then you're spelling it wrong?

SL33TBL1ND:

James Joseph Emerald:

SL33TBL1ND:

The actual word has accents. So...

Nobody every uses the accents though, so I think if you're not going to bother with them, it should be pronounced the way it's spelled.

Then you're spelling it wrong?

I loled

I say meh-lay most of the time.
It's one of those unusual words that no one's ever quite sure how to pronounce (although saying meh-leh would be quite amusing).

Uber Evil:

TheYellowCellPhone:
It switches. It's may-lay or mee-lee. Usually may-lay.

Hit the nail on the head. I do that same thing. I used to always say it mee-lee, then I heard it was may-lay, and now I switch between the two if I'm not paying attention.

I say a hyrbid. I say mee-lay, and only say may-lay if I'm using it more than once (the first time I say it, then I notice I should've said it as may-lay, so subsequent times I say may-lay as a self-correction).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked