Poll: Students launch a poster campaign against racist costume

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

What about Irish people. We are not leprechauns. Feels to me like they are leaving out some serious cases of costumes that are in the same line as those ones and at the same time including some that are in no way racist. Like the Geisha one, it is not an exaggeration. The costume is actually spot on. It is an accurate representation of a Geisha, which is in no way representative of all Asians.

Goremocker:
I agree with these kids! Proud races are mocked every year by this.. "Halloween"

I feel that this "Halloween" MUST. BE. ASSIMILATED!!

Borg assimilate things. Daleks exterminate things. Not the same.

Also, those RTD things aren't proper Daleks. Blech...

Romblen:
First World Problems, when your biggest complaint is related to Halloween costumes.

I would actually like that kid to be dumbed into Africa and see if he can get anyone care about his problem.

Well whatever its free speech, let 'em bitch. Or if they want they can dress up as honkies and we all can have a laugh at ourselves.

999realthings:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2053134/Students-launch-poster-campaign-racist-Halloween-costumes.html
I gotta this have to one of the most pointless and trying to hard to be politically correct things I have seen in a while.
While the Arab suicide bomber costume is offensive and probably shouldn't be worn, everything else is quite tame. The geisha outfit, the Mexican outfit and maybe the ghetto outfit.
Personally, I'm Asian and I went to Halloween as a Viet Cong. So people need to get over and have laugh in life or am I being to racially insentive

Holy crap Kudos to you for going as viet cong!
but yeah, If I were to say something about it, I think that there is still a line between parody and racism. A very well defined line... With razor wire, and sniper towers...

OT: Try looking at "the four Lions" film
If humor can be misconstrued as racism, I'm a little fearful for the fate of comedy.

thaluikhain:

Goremocker:
*snip*

Borg assimilate things. Daleks exterminate things. Not the same.

Also, those RTD things aren't proper Daleks. Blech...

CURSES! You saw through my clever ruse... Guess I don't care about those kids after all...

chiggerwood:
This is stupidity on the grandest of scales. If you're that offended by a Halloween costume, please get your head out of your ass.
I have no idea why this got me so worked up.

I wonder why no Indians ever call racism on anything be it costumes, sports teams or even tv stereotypes.

Racism-

1.The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races

2.Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief

are these halloween costumes really racist?

Dam this dictionary is useful

OT NO I don't agree with their campaign since nowhere does that guys costume say hes a muslim, people who think that themselves are racists(Kind of)

captcha: 1879-1924 must google

*sigh* And the sad thing is they're all dressed in Western clothing. Are you still your culture?

...It's the Daily Fail. What else do you expect to come from them? (apart from bigoted racist articles screaming about how England is going down the pan thanks to immigrants, black gang/knife crime and benefit frauds?)

So in a word, No. This campaign is a joke.

"Racism:

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races."

Nope, by definition those costumes are not racist.

Also, I don't understand why anyone would get worked up in the first place, if someone wanted to dress up in a knight/medieval warrior costume and speak in an English accent I wouldn't be offended ... oh wait ... nope, not offended.

There is a line somewhere, but its fuzzy until you've crossed it, once you've crossed it it becomes very clear indeed.

One of the hardest things with jokes and comedy is deciding where that line is, and if you are singling something out for extra mocking unfairly. Some cultures and the stereotypes about them provide more fertile grounds for jokes because so-incindentally the stereotype is close to something else funny. This cna lead to them being over mocked as its just easier to make the jokes up, conversely if theres less material sometimes to do it you have to delve into potentially mroe offensive areas.

I've often seen people say 'Allo 'Allo is racist against the French and Germans, an argument that works right up until you discuss the British charecters.

If someones not getting the joke then you have to find out why, and determine how reasonable someones reasons for it are, and indeed visa versa. If a topic cannot be joked over then theres a sign that somethings wrong, humor is an important coping mechanism amongst other things, those who work in occupations such as the military or hospitals often have quite shoking jokes, and where this is craked down on mental health of the workers has a tendancy to nose dive.

As somebody said in posts above, if you're offended by this then you obviously have too much free time, and not enough real problems to worry about. Also you kinda missed the point of Halloween. To dress up, pretend, be someone you can never be or openly mock something you consider stupid or pointless. I can somewhat understand if they protested against racial stereotypes in movies or music, but this just makes them such downers. Party poopers :P

Besides, I like my racial/national stereotypes to be voiced openly. Being Croatian I was often considered incapable narrow-minded communist with vodka-breath and shit smeared on my face by my first world country peers. It's always amusing to see surprise on their faces when they realize you actually understand insults they're throwing at you. Priceless.

so suicide bombing is thier culture?
then they certainly dont deserve any support

as for being dressed as a suicide bomber being recist? not really, unless the campaigners are trying to say all muslims are suicide bombers? which i myself think as a statement is far more racist

I know the stupidity of other people shouldn't annoy me, but gosh darn it, it does. This hyper-sensitive politically correct poster crap almost reads like parody.

This is just pathetic.

"Ooh, these Halloween costumes are stereotyping a race, let's be offended. We'll make posters to protest it" and wah wah wah.

The only thing that shows how little you care about something than a poster campaign is a Facebook status. What makes this worse is that the posters are basically Facebook statuses.

Who gives a flying fuck if you're offended. Grow up and sit down.

I am impressed tht they went through with it and they done it well but the whole campaign is a bad idea. If people can't have a bit of fun without others taking offense then something is wrong. I mean I'm Irish and I wouldn't care if someone dressed up in green and carried a beer keg around because I think my racial stereotype is hilarious. Although there is a difference between having a bit of fun and going up and saying "Go away you drunk Irish bastard".

I love freedom of speech. I can wear a turban if I felt like it and nobody can do anything about it lol. Let these guys have their campaign because at the end of the day, they won't be able to do anything about it anyway. (Unless they're NOT in America lol)

999realthings:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2053134/Students-launch-poster-campaign-racist-Halloween-costumes.html
I gotta this have to one of the most pointless and trying to hard to be politically correct things I have seen in a while.
While the Arab suicide bomber costume is offensive and probably shouldn't be worn, everything else is quite tame. The geisha outfit, the Mexican outfit and maybe the ghetto outfit.
Personally, I'm Asian and I went to Halloween as a Viet Cong. So people need to get over and have laugh in life or am I being to racially insentive

"As a Tranyslvanian I am incensed at the insinuation that all people from this region are blood sucking creatures of the night. I am a culture, not a costume..."

I don't know if that arab kid even exists or if he is just a model posing for this psy-ops campaign but the "This is NOT my culture" is weasel word claim ANYONE EVER THOUGH IT WAS REPRESENTATIVE OF HIS CULTURE!

He is making light of ONE ASPECT of a condemned practice in a region you happen to come from. And people have to make light of horrible things or else we go crazy.

Dressing up as Dracula is NOT stating in any kind of racist way that that all people of Eastern Europe are vampires!

I hope this starts a meme of parodies of this, like photoshop Bela Lugosi holding up a pic of the Muppet Count.

Blue Hero:
I'm dressing up as Hitler, my friend is Stalin. Can we have someone launch a post campaign against us?

Only if you shout SEIG HEIL and draw swastikas on your face.

And he plans on invading Poland and enslaving millions of Eastern Europeans for fifty years.

However, while suicide bomber in itself isn't that offensive, matching suicide bomber with the Arab headget kiiiinda is.

Don't care about the other costumes. Geisha costume offensive? Really? Because only the Chinese had their own working ladies...

All these costumes need a white stereotype costume.

Not because stereotype costumes are racist, but it would level the playing field, and be somewhat interesting

Edit: Whoops they do exist, I just didn't see the post. Lol.

No-one should be discriminated against, or be immune from being parodied by stereotypes. Grow a thicker skin, kiddies. In the grown up world, every one should be able to pull the piss out of each-other. That creates tolerance.

I have an abab friend who dressed up as a scuicide bomber back in 2008, everyone thought it was genius :P

It look like they are confusing sterotype with racist and even then it's not sterotype. I only agree with the Suicide Bomber but that is wrong for another reason.

I say these people need to lighten up. "This is not who I am." Then how is it offensive?

Sectan:
Obligatory youtube post

Like he says, Being offended is subjective. Being Minnesotan doesn't mean I get offended by Norwegian jokes, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bother someone else. It's impossible to make a sweeping "THAT X IS OFFENSIVE AND SHOULD BE REMOVED." statement about things.

That is fantastic.

I don't think I can really much more to the debate than what he's just said.

I think that native American costumes are pretty fucking lame at best and just horribly offensive in general at worst, but it really, really depends so much on context, I'm not going to freak out at people for choosing that costume.

The 'We want um peace' sign is the offensive thing, but if some lads want to go as that as part of a theme that's quite a significant part of older pop culture, then cool.
They're not going out to piss anyone off.

Of course, it would be different if I strode into a party with some Polish friends in attendance and I was dressed in the sharp black and peaked cap of the SS dress uniform, but that's a different story...

I haven't for the record, and if I ever was, I'd make sure I went as a Nazi zombie. Cos shooting those bastards is just great.

While I don't support this kind of narrow minded attack on halloween.
I have noticed that the people dressed up are all white, like white people are the only ethnicity that can be racist, that's some real racism right there.

Im not for or against this, which technically makes my answer no. I dont hold anything sacred. I dont give a shit. It angers me that too many Americans think that all Arabs are extremists. They dont have a clue how things work over there.

This costume, in and of itself does not make that statement. It doesnt make any statement. Its just a silly costume.

I agree with the students...Halloween has gone too far!!

Oh man, this is the 9th time I've posted this link, and you know what? I don't mind at all!
Why don't I mind? Because I find it fucking hilarious that people get offended by the smallest things.
I find people who get offended by things that are hardly even offensive, offensive.
Oh wait...

Oh for fuck's sake. Yes, stereotypes of Canadians (eh?) can get irritating but if someone were to dress up in a plaid jacket and toque and carry a hockey stick in one hand and a bottle of maple syrup in the other I'd just laugh. OMG!!1111 We are a culture not a costume!!!111

No shit, sherlock. You know what words mean. Fortunately, no one who dresses up as a geisha or a rapper or a Canadian hoser is saying your culture is a costume.

Blue Hero:
I'm dressing up as Hitler, my friend is Stalin. Can we have someone launch a post campaign against us?

I'll go as a holocaust denier.

Also:

I like to imagine this girl is offended because she sees the Edward Cullen costume as racist against real vampires. Could they seriously not have found a better picture?

Daily Mail. Discussion ends here.

Silverfox99:

Personally, I would find it hilarious if someone showed up to a party dressed up in white face and as a redneck.

my friend has you covered then, he is doing that this saturday, he has FULL GEAR:

john deere hat, toothpick in mouth, can of chew in his backpocket, scraggly jeans, cut off plaid shirt, beer spilled white shirt underneath, and motherfucking boots on.

OT:

chiggerwood:
This is stupidity on the grandest of scales. If you're that offended by a Halloween costume, please get your head out of your ass. There are real racist in the world that you could be protesting; there are actual injustices that you could stand up against. Sex slavery, starvation, AIDS and holocaust denial, human rights violations the list goes on and on. Why not put your time, money, and energy into something worthwhile!?
I have no idea why this got me so worked up.

annddd agreed.

my head is so full of fuck right now.

fuck this shit.

Treblaine:

999realthings:

"As a Tranyslvanian I am incensed at the insinuation that all people from this region are blood sucking creatures of the night. I am a culture, not a costume..."

I don't know if that arab kid even exists or if he is just a model posing for this psy-ops campaign but the "This is NOT my culture" is weasel word claim ANYONE EVER THOUGH IT WAS REPRESENTATIVE OF HIS CULTURE!

He is making light of ONE ASPECT of a condemned practice in a region you happen to come from. And people have to make light of horrible things or else we go crazy.

Dressing up as Dracula is NOT stating in any kind of racist way that that all people of Eastern Europe are vampires!

I hope this starts a meme of parodies of this, like photoshop Bela Lugosi holding up a pic of the Muppet Count.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/190/778/tumblr_lti0drGN5p1qz8bx8.png?1319496965

Wait no longer, it has already started.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked