Underated Movies that are Amazing

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Okay so towards the start of this year i watched The Next Three Days, which was a pretty damn good movie. Soon after that i watched Stone and although it had two of my favourite actors in it (Milla Jovovich and Ed Norton) i didn't enjoy it, although i knew it was a good movie (just not my cup of tea). Finally, i watched Super (2010) a week ago and holy fuck it was a good movie. I mean it was goddam amazing.
The point I'm trying to get at is that most movies we see in the cinema are good, with a few exceptions being either bad or great. Blockbusters seem to stay at this same level, above average, and don't change at all. On the other hand these movies that i've been watching that never hit the big screens were either really REALLY good, or really really bad.

So i want some people's opinions, out of curiosity yes but also because my list of animes and movies to watch is dwindling. What movies that haven't been big blockbusters have you watched and really enjoyed, that you think probably deserved to be on the big screen more than an expensive as hell movie like, say, avatar

P.S I'm not using Avatar as an example because i think its shit (IMO fern gulley was better). I'm using it as an example because it was a pretty average movie, and if i'd used something like Mission Impossible 4 as my example then you could pretty much say any non-blockbuster movie deserves a slot in cinemas more than it, because MI4 and MI in general is shit.

Batman Returns!
Best Gothic Action Film Ever

Four Lions, its a British film about home grown extremism/terrorism and it is hilarious. Definately recommend you try and get hold of that if you already havn't.

Les Awesome:
Batman Returns!

Best of the Batman movies, IMHO...or at least the serious ones.

spirited away

Hudson Hawk, seriously under-rated!

Stranger Than Fiction, Will Ferrell can act!

Oldboy - Best south Korean film ever made
District 13 - Awesome french parkour film

That's all i can think of at the moment

Edit: actually they are both quite highly rated, but no-one i know has heard of them.

The 5th Element.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang by far. Excellent story, acting, dialogue, humor, editing, etc., and no credit whatsoever. Shame.

Edit: Trailer embedded.

Scott Pilgrim. Everyone hates Michael Cera, so that gets in the way of all my friends enjoying - hell, even seeing - one of only two movies to give me an emotional reaction last year.

Undisputed - It's awesomely watchable like Rocky 2,3 and 4 but the final battle doesn't have any magic. Still, a great movie with excellent build up and sequences.

Fracture - One of the few great that I've seen in the last 5 years. Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling play off each other extremely well. The film admittedly tries to hard but the overall product is fantastic.

The first Highlander film is amazing which very few people I know have watched. Falling Down is also an amazing film which very few people I know have heard of.

Last Action Hero - Nothing like a genre film that loves to make fun of it's own genre.

Lake Placid,it showed up around the time when allot of the giant animal attack movies were hot, or at least the one with the giant snake and was actually a stupid movie. Lake Placid on the other hand was smart funny and just a really good movie.

wooty:
Three Lions, its a British film about home grown extremism/terrorism and it is hilarious. Definately recommend you try and get hold of that if you already havn't.

You need to recount those lions. It's Four Lions. Though I do whole heartedly agree that that film is absolutely awesome, and should be watched by many.

Soldier. A good scifi film next to no one has seen.

Bobic:

wooty:
Four Lions, its a British film about home grown extremism/terrorism and it is hilarious. Definately recommend you try and get hold of that if you already havn't.

You need to recount those lions. It's Four Lions. Though I do whole heartedly agree that that film is absolutely awesome, and should be watched by many.

Fixed, thanks for pointing that out. I must of got confused with watching the football build up at the same time.

The Fountain.

It was presented as an art house movie, I originally only went because Hugh Jackman was in it, but ended up loving the movie and its themes. It'll never be a successful million dollar movie, but I loved its themes and intertwining story lines. Plus, the hand drawn effects are so pretty!

Perfect Blue was pretty cool as well. It's an anime with a seriously haunting atmosphere.

Oh and yes, as mentioned before, Scott Pillgrim VS The World. Every gamer should watch that film at least once, it is fricking awesome!

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot this one. Amélie (or: Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain) is such a great feel good movie. It's in French, so imagine that'd keep a lot of people from watching it (it made me quite hesitant at first), but this is such an original, quirky and lovely movie that it's totally worth it!

Amelia.

About Amelia Earhart. With two of my favorite actors, Ewan McGregor, and Christopher Eccleston. Bit boring, but good overall.

Stone, The Next Three Days and Super all hit the big screen.

Stone peaked at 125 theaters, The Next Three Days actually got a wide release at over 2,500 theaters, while Super peaked at 39. From your question, you make it seem like you want indie films that were too poor to get a theatrical release, or just any direct-to-DVD film. Or just non-blockbusers, even though one of your examples (The Next Three Days) is one.

But your examples don't make sense, as they all made it to theaters, and they all had at least two well-known actors. Stone had three, with Jovovich, De Niro, and Norton. The Next Three Days had Russell Crowe and Liam Neeson (and Elizabeth Banks/Olivia Wilde, if they count as "big names"). Super had Ellen Page and Kevin Bacon (and Liv Tyler, Nathan Fillion, etc).

So, explain the criteria better, and I'll give you some of mine, from whatever criteria you actually want. I'm just confused by what you want, that's all.

The Prestige and The Illusionist.

I wish more people knew about these films in the circles I hang around.

Last Action Hero. That film was poorly rated, But so full of WIN

Proof and Instinct 2 of Anthony Hopkins best movies yet no one ever seems to have heard of them

Les Awesome:
Batman Returns!

Great freaking movie. I saw that in theaters as a 4 year old. I was spoiled.

The Imaginorium of Dr. Parnassus was generally under-rated but I thought Ledger was better in that than Dark Knight.

Scott Pilgrim was also grossly under-rated but that's been mentioned above.

NorthernStar:

Perfect Blue was pretty cool as well. It's an anime with a seriously haunting atmosphere.

The thing about Perfect Blue is that everyone loved it...when it was re-released as Black Swan

On a final note; JOE'S APARTMENT! MTV's first movie and one that's really hard to come by.

I just watched Southland Tales. Critics really tore it apart but i enjoyed it a lot. Sure, it kinda dragged at some points but it was clever, funny, had some great set pieces and a lot of original ideas. Way better than Donnie Darko, the directors previous, more popular movie.

Speed Racer is a blast! Sure, it's very much a family movie and has a lot of stuff that kids enjoy and adults... don't. But the visuals are absolutely amazing, the races are some of the most impressive things i have ever seen in a movie and while it was really silly it also had a lot of heart. You should definately give it a try!

Sucker Punch wasn't bad either. Sure, it wasn't great and suffered from bad characterisation, rather weak dialogue and some pacing issues but it's still a very fun action movia with a rather original story. Sure, it wasn't quite as deep as it obviously thought it was but neither was Inception and people still liked it.

Soulkiller3:
spirited away

Spirited away was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen.

Worgen:
Lake Placid,it showed up around the time when allot of the giant animal attack movies were hot, or at least the one with the giant snake and was actually a stupid movie. Lake Placid on the other hand was smart funny and just a really good movie.

I remember when it came out, the scene with the bear is my favorite part of that movie.

Winthrop:
Soldier. A good scifi film next to no one has seen.

I've seen it and your right it's a damn good movie

Daniel Ferguson:
Scott Pilgrim. Everyone hates Michael Cera, so that gets in the way of all my friends enjoying - hell, even seeing - one of only two movies to give me an emotional reaction last year.

I hate Micheal Cera too but I've seen Scott Pilgrim and honestly it baffles me as to how people think it's such a good movie. I wouldn't watch it again unless you paid me.

OT: Children of Men, Great movie, wonderful story and truly emotional. I tear up a bit every time near the end of the movie. If you haven't seen it i would suggest you get off your PC and watch it.

"Project A-Ko"

This is to 80's anime what "Last Action Hero" is to action movies. The remastered version just came out for a reasonable price, so if you get the chance: Get it!

Shoggoth2588:

The thing about Perfect Blue is that everyone loved it...when it was re-released as Black Swan

Oh My God... You're right. Weird. I never realized that until now. 0.o

Korill Venn:
The Prestige and The Illusionist.

I wish more people knew about these films in the circles I hang around.

Those are two of my favorite movies.

Repo! the Genetic Opera. Arguably the best weirdly sexual sci-fi/horror musical since the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

More seriously, the 1995 version of Richard III. The visual style of the film (Set in the 1930s instead of the 15th century) is just stunning. Starring Ian McKellen doesn't hurt either.

I really liked IP man 1 and 2. The main character definitely knew his kung fu, I loved the fight scenes!

I'd have to say two films:

The Prince of Egypt
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

I've seen it said before but definitely Last Action Hero, or The Rocketeer. Both these movies are undeservedly underated yet so awesome!

SangRahl:
Last Action Hero - Nothing like a genre film that loves to make fun of it's own genre.

A film that shows us Arnold scolding Arnold, hinting that he may have a real sense of humor.

And this scene

putowtin:

Stranger Than Fiction, Will Ferrell can act!

i was surprised with how much i liked this one.

OT:

babinro:
Undisputed - It's awesomely watchable like Rocky 2,3 and 4 but the final battle doesn't have any magic. Still, a great movie with excellent build up and sequences.

Fracture - One of the few great that I've seen in the last 5 years. Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling play off each other extremely well. The film admittedly tries to hard but the overall product is fantastic.

personally indisputed 2 and 3 are way better IMO, the third one i have watched at least 10 times with the sweet ass fight scenes.

but yeah i'll recommend indisputed 2 and 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked