How much revision can you manage a day?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Not sure about other countries, but it's exam season in the UK right now.

With my impending A2 exams in 1 week, I've kicked myself into revision mode. My first choice uni, Manchester, want me to get AAA, so to say I'm nervous would be an understatement.

I've been trying to get in 3-4 hours revision per day. Now to me, that seems like a reasonable amount. But according to the hordes of students on the internet, I'm either doing next to nothing or there is rampant lying on the internet (a shocker I know). According to the denizens of places such as 'The Student Room', the average amount of hours is between 6-7.

So now I create this thread to either reassure myself that I'm working a normal amount or convince myself that I need to work more.

How many hours of revision per day do you do Escapist? If you have finished your exams, how many hours did you do?

I can tell you that that average is a big load of BS. Either that, or I'm a lazy ass, but since I don't know anyone who does that much I'd definitely say it's BS.

I should have started by now but I haven't which is pretty bad, and when I do I've never done more than 3 or 4 hours in a day, and I still got BBB. I actually need ABB to get onto my course, so revision is probably something I should be doing intensively.

The most studying I ever did at a stretch was probably 2, MAYBE 3 hours. Of different subjects. One one thing, probably under 2 hours. I was never really one to study for anything.

There is a great deal of bullshit when it comes to revision, and people lie all the time just to make themselves feel better. No-one really revises 8 solid hours a day. You should wait until you get to university; the amount of mind games people play with one another is just silly. Staying in the library till 2am, swigging Red Bull to see who can stay there the longest, walking in circles on the lawn repeating notes to themselves (of course, in front of as many passers-by as possible)

Yeah, I wouldn't listen to other people on their revision tactics at all.

7 hours of revision a day? Bullshit. Taking up half the day when I'm not sleeping and devoting it to revision? I sincerely doubt I, or many other students out there, can devote that much time or even want to.

Then again I never revise anyway. Huh.

Melon Hunter:
There is a great deal of bullshit when it comes to revision, and people lie all the time just to make themselves feel better. No-one really revises 8 solid hours a day. You should wait until you get to university; the amount of mind games people play with one another is just silly. Staying in the library till 2am, swigging Red Bull to see who can stay there the longest, walking in circles on the lawn repeating notes to themselves (of course, in front of as many passers-by as possible)

Glad to hear this. I was worried that I had become so lazy that what other people consider normal, I consider impossible.

Well you can do as much as you like. After roughly an hour the amount that is retained drops off sharply and keeps declining until you're barely seeing words on the page.

Lethos:

Melon Hunter:

Glad to hear this. I was worried that I had become so lazy that what other people consider normal, I consider impossible.

I get the feeling everyone has those insecurities, and some deal with it by massively exaggerating how much revision they really do. Problem is, everyone hears that and try to ramp up their revision tales, leading to a positive feedback cycle of total bollocks. Once other people believe you're doing 8 hours a day, it's very easy to fool yourself into thinking that's what you're doing, when you're really doing an hour and a half, while watching stuff on YouTube. Which may or may not be what I'm currently doing.

So, I take it they're including their class and homework time in with their general "study" time? I don't really know how it is for most fields; I went with art in my undergraduate and spending six hours or more in addition to the hours-long classes such a major entails wasn't a problem for me because it was my life anyway. paintpaintdrawpaintpaintpaint skype, skype-while-paint, hang out in room where friends are gaming while working on person-sized drawing, etc.

I think thats a bit high to be the average - I did about 4 hours a day when I started (during Easter) for a couple of weeks and when it came to study leave, I kept at 4 hours a day for a little while longer. During the exams though, I kicked it up to 6-7 hours a day. A few days I did 8 hours and one day in particular I did 10 (I don't recommend that - I needed a break the next day so I may as well had done 5 each day).

If you're going for AAA then I might step it up a little if I were you - although it really depends on which A levels you're doing, how confident you feel for them, how much % you have already in terms of previous exams/coursework, and other stuff.

Try doing 6 hours tomorrow. Id usually start in the morning around 10 and revise til 12. Then take a break for an hour and go from 1-3, then again from 4-6 so by 6pm Id done 6 hours and could relax in the evening =)

Are you kidding me? You only do 3-4 hours a day? These are you A-LEVELS! That's such a tiny amount for such important exams! And all my friends do 6-9 hour days including me, and it is definitely manageable. What do you do for the rest of your day? I don't understand your madness. You should be doing more, people only pass long days of as BS to feel better about the lack of work they are doing!!

I've had a virus for 6 weeks. Even if I revise for my last few exams I'm already fucked.
My last exams happen to be the ones I thought I would fail anyway, since no one thought they would do well at them. I've missed my chance to do well at the easy exams.

Hopefully I can still make it into university. Although, it's not like ones I chose had high requirements -_-

6-7 is way too much. The amount you're doing is way too much for me though, but probably a safe idea. Make sure to have plenty of breaks though. So, um...

IGNORE ME!

A month ago when I was studying for my college exams, I did 4-6 hours a day. That was pretty crazy though, I couldn't imagine doing anymore.

Ehh, an hour? Sometimes?

We're talking university level entrance exams here right? I think by this point in your scholastic life you should know your study habits well enough.

In the end it comes down to the individual. I've got friends who can get away with a couple of hours of, albeit intense, studying. Others who work at a more leisurely pace of 8 easy-going hours, that sort of thing. Like I said, personal preference.

And given that you've only got another week to go? No point getting stressed and burnt out trying to match someone else's pace, especially not at this juncture in time. You've done most of the legwork already, so have some confidence in yourself! In for the final 100m sprint :D

Edit: Totally missed out the question. Oops.. I typically got away with say 4-5 hours? But like I said, I'm not you - so don't take that as an benchmark.
All the best for your upcoming exams!

I have my first A2 in a week and I'm averaging about an hour per day, unless I go into school and lock myself in the library, in which case I might manage 3. The problem is, I'm at the stage where I feel I know enough. Never a good sign...

I managed to do 12 hour days for my first two semesters of university, but decided it's just not worth the burnout that you inevitably get with that. An average day of revision for me now would be on a time period of 9-6, with a very generous lunch break, coffee breaks, and early finishes. You should aim to get a load done, and work on the assumption that you'll achieve 80% of it.

I'm slap bang in the middle of my GCSEs, and all I can ever manage is an hour or two. Any more and I start drifting into a Coma, my eyes start wandering off the page at the end of lines, my hands start to get restless again, and I start drawing all over the pages. My legs suddenly ache to stand, and eventually I just can't do it and I'm literally just staring at the page.

So, I've just made up for that by doing small amounts of revision constantly. Literally only 15 minutes a day, but spread out over the entire year. That's added up, I've breezed through all my exams and everyone's pissed at me because while they're cramming, I'm lounging in sunglasses complaining about how bright it is, and afterwards when they're fretting over questions, I'm estimating my percentages and complaining about how bright it is.

I'm like the most annoying person in school at the the minute.

WHOOPS, OFF TOPIC.

Our Principal says we should be doing Eight Hours of Revision a day. Suffice to say everyone hates her because that can mean we're giving up our entire waking day. And no one wants to do that, and no one IS doing it because it's a stupid idea and she obviously wants to turn us all into Robots. Our teachers on the other hand, all say to do just one or two hours a day, and switch subjects each day. Our teachers have a much better plan, but I think the plan I've used is better, and the reason I've taken it is actually because my Biology Teacher told us about it at the start of the year. She's a brilliant teacher, and because I've done everything she's said, all my exams are really easy now.

Lethos:
According to the denizens of places such as 'The Student Room', the average amount of hours is between 6-7.

If you believe everything on that forum everyone gets 5 A*s and they are all going to Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial.

Ignore them.

At the moment I am probably revising 10+ hours a day for my impending Uni exams, but that is purely because i procrastinated for so long and now have to make up for lost time.

Revision as in rewriting?

Not quite sure I understand. It depends entirely on the paper, I may spend only a couple hours rewriting a five page paper, and then spend three days rewriting a twenty page one.

I'm in the same position as you, although good fucking luck if you're seriously only starting with a week left. Been doing about 4 hours a day - it's been a struggle, to say the least.

Doing English Lit, History, and Politics. Applied to do English Lit at Glasgow or Goldsmiths (London).

The best thing, I've found, is to write up a list of revision tasks you want to get done, point a few out to get done each day, and then cross them off as you go. It beats the stagnating, "I'm not fucking doing anything!!!!" feeling that I always get from revising.

Negative amounts.
Every 4 or 5 days I might do an hour or so until I'm 3 days away from the exam at which point I'll do a bit more.

Woodsey:
I'm in the same position as you, although good fucking luck if you're seriously only starting with a week left. Been doing about 4 hours a day - it's been a struggle, to say the least.

Doing English Lit, History, and Politics. Applied to do English Lit at Glasgow or Goldsmiths (London).

The best thing, I've found, is to write up a list of revision tasks you want to get done, point a few out to get done each day, and then cross them off as you go. It beats the stagnating, "I'm not fucking doing anything!!!!" feeling that I always get from revising.

Replace lit with lit & lang and we're doing the exact same subjects. Are you doing International Relations in history?

I started revising (what I consider) intensely on Sunday, but I have been doing some revision for the last couple of weeks. Mostly I was learning key terms in English/Politics and dates in History.

Your revision technique is similar to mine too. I'll try and write down precise notes on a subject, then every 20-so minutes I'll test myself to make sure it's all gone in.

Matthew94:

Lethos:
According to the denizens of places such as 'The Student Room', the average amount of hours is between 6-7.

If you believe everything on that forum everyone gets 5 A*s and they are all going to Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial.

Ignore them.

Yeah the place does seem to be rampant with liars, I'm just surprised by the amount. Literally every single person saying they're doing 8+ hours a day. Some even saying they do 11 hours. I guess it's because of the reasons Melon Hunter outlined, but I would still expect there to be occasional people being realistic.

Lethos:

Woodsey:

Replace lit with lit & lang and we're doing the exact same subjects. Are you doing International Relations in history?

I started revising (what I consider) intensely on Sunday, but I have been doing some revision for the last couple of weeks. Mostly I was learning key terms in English/Politics and dates in History.

Your revision technique is similar to mine too. I'll try and write down precise notes on a subject, then every 20-so minutes I'll test myself to make sure it's all gone in.

Matthew94:

Lethos:

Ignore them.

Yeah the place does seem to be rampant with liars, I'm just surprised by the amount. Literally every single person saying they're doing 8+ hours a day. Some even saying they do 11 hours. I guess it's because of the reasons Melon Hunter outlined, but I would still expect there to be occasional people being realistic.

Nah, British History 1865-1915. S'alright, the exam is quite well structured. Answer two of three questions, one is on domestic polices, one is on problems in Ireland, one is on foreign policy. And since foreign policy is a fucking bitch, I can mostly just revise the other two.

none, i can't revise and i specifically enter courses where its all written work and practical with no tests and/or exams. i had to try a second time on both maths and english because of my dyslexia and ADHD so my attention span is very short unless i'm interested in it.

Woodsey:
Nah, British History 1865-1915. S'alright, the exam is quite well structured. Answer two of three questions, one is on domestic polices, one is on problems in Ireland, one is on foreign policy. And since foreign policy is a fucking bitch, I can mostly just revise the other two.

Same as mine then, except mines on the Cold War and the questions could be on anything in the syllabus.

Well back in my days (around the birth of broadband) I think I did somewhere 4-6 hours of revision during school days. I split it into two subjects revision when it was my GCSE. It also depend if any of my favourite shows are on as I used those as my break time.
If I had no school or it's teh weekend then I spend several hours revising while taking a few breaks.

Lethos:

Woodsey:

Same as mine then, except mines on the Cold War and the questions could be on anything in the syllabus.

Is it AQA or Edexcel? Mine's AQA. And yeah, it doesn't help too much - I could still get a bitch of a question on Ireland or domestic policy, but broad strokes, it helps focus you a little.

Haha, oh man; I could never revise. The only thing I really revised for was a Technology and Design GCSE (that was a wee while ago) for three hours in total.

When it was coming up to my ICT A2, I kept thinking to myself, 'I should probably flick through my text book'. Eventually, I opened it and it just so happened that the page I opened to had a screen grab of Dizzy, one of the yolkfolk from 'The Fantastic World of Dizzy' and I straight up thought, 'Hey! Wouldn't mind having a wee go!'

What? I intended to start revising for it then the text book itself got me distracted. Who would have guessed?

Anyway, I normally crammed (if even; depending on how confident I was/actually cared about the subject in question) a night or two before, then I'd do maybe <5 hours total. I can't help but snigger at the thought of me doing four or five hours in one sitting, even three most of the time.

I'd say those people are certainly 'bullshitting' you to make themselves feel better. I bet you're supposed to be revising right now too, huh? :P

marrrk:
Snip

Listen to this one; S/He speaks a lot of sense here.

Woodsey:

Lethos:

Woodsey:

Is it AQA or Edexcel? Mine's AQA. And yeah, it doesn't help too much - I could still get a bitch of a question on Ireland or domestic policy, but broad strokes, it helps focus you a little.

I'm pretty sure mines AQA.....although it could be Edexcel. We're given two 'depth' questions wish will focus on any 10 year period, and one 'breadth' question which focuses on the entire 1945-2004.

Did you have coursework as well? Ours was on the American Civil Rights movement.

I did next to nothing. About 2 hours a day at most, usually about an hour a day. Still got ABC, enough to get me in to study Chemistry. 7 hours a day is just bloody stupid, you'll have to force yourself to do it, you won't be able to concentrate and you won't remember any of it. Quality over quantity.

If you're including homework and such in revising, then I spend about 3-4 hours a day on that. When exams start getting closer, I generally add about 5-6 hours of actual studying as well, depending on how confident I am with the material.

As for if this is average or not, it depends on the student and the school. A lot of people get the material easily and don't need to spend as much time on it. As the courses get more and more difficult, however, the average studying time will increase. I go to a pretty high level engineering college, and I can tell you that students spending 6-7 hours a day studying is fairly common.

You should expect to put in 6-9 hours a day if you are revising and aiming for 3As. Study leave means you should replace the day at school with an effective bout of revision.

People who work full-time tend to work 8 hours, its a fair amount of work for a day!
Its your A-levels and they kinda count. Imagine the shitter uni you might end up in...

Whether its History or Physics, there's no shortage of things you can be doing. Can't see how 3 hours a day will get you in a zone where you won't feel pressured at the start of uni next term. It is not at all like A-levels. Ramp it up for a few weeks, enjoy your 9-12 week holidays and get those 3As.

I didn't revise. Well, not properly for any decent stretch of time.

Nothing worked. I had no self control. If I thought of something I wanted to do, I'd stop myself for as long as possible, then do it.

Still got into uni though. Aim low xD

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked