Great movies that don't get the attention they deserve

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So I was just wondering what are some movies that you wished received more praise/admiration/popularity.

Some movies get brought up time and time again, being held up and praised non-stop.
E.G.: The Godfather, Aliens, 2001, etc...

While I'm not saying these movies don't deserve the attention they get; I'm asking what movie do you think should be held up there with these movies.

For me, it's Children of Men.
I know it received a lot of praise upon it's release, but it seems like the movie has been forgotten about. Literally no one I know seems to have heard of it.

I have a ton, but...

The Trial (1993) with Anthony Hopkins

Yeah, it's based on Kafka's book by the same name, and one could argue that book has had its share of attention, but if you haven't read the book, the movie gets the point across quite well. Everyone should see it at some point.

I thought Children of Men was fairly well-known.

OT: The Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption, Snow Angels, The Poker House, Thirteen, Awake, Creep, I Heart Huckabees, Just Peck, The Painted Veil, The Tracey Fragments, Transsiberian, and the Three Colors trilogy.

That's enough, yes?

spooky57571:

For me, it's Children of Men.

I watched that once because critics loved it.. Wern't my cup of tea at all. :)

Errmm, I have no memory worth a damn, so I'll have to pick a recent film.

Hanna was an AMAZING film, and if it wern't for Movie Bob I would hasve never of even heard about it.

Law Abiding Citizen

I enjoy that movie so damn much, and couldn't recommend it highly enough. It got an unfairly low metacritic score in my opinion, especially seeing as every person I've seen it with has enjoyed it immensely as well. Seriously, give this movie a go.
(It's got Gerard Butler in it. And Jamie Foxx.)

Brazil:

Dark Angel (psst... the full movie is in the suggestions bar for the trailer... but I don't know anything about that):

In the Mouth of Madness (one of Carpenter's best):

Big Trouble in Little China (another one of Carpenter's best):

Into the Wild was truly fantastic. The story, the acting, the soundtrack; gorgeous.

Attack the Block, I mean we know about it thanks to MovieBob but it def deserved more media attention(at least here in the States)

For me, the film version of Let The Right One In doesn't get enough attention. But i'm just saying that because i'm a major fanboy when it comes to it...

Oldboy could be said to get a lot of attention I guess, although perhaps not enough.

TheBobmus:
Law Abiding Citizen

I enjoy that movie so damn much, and couldn't recommend it highly enough. It got an unfairly low metacritic score in my opinion, especially seeing as every person I've seen it with has enjoyed it immensely as well. Seriously, give this movie a go.
(It's got Gerard Butler in it. And Jamie Foxx.)

I love that film, until the ending. Another great film wrecked by it's ending =/

For me it would have to be A Very Long Engagement. Look it up, it's by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, and by the trailer and the name it does sound like a boring romance film, but it really isn't. I highly recommend it!

Titan AE

I haven't watched it in years, but it was this really cool Sci Fi animated movie... :D

Interstate 60

Though the trailer really doesn't do it any justice, here it is anyway

Equilibrium, it's a fantastic movie.

Going back a few years i'd have to say Young Guns is a classic and should get more recognition.

Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil. Probably the best comedy horror I've seen, hell one of the best films I've seen. It's got Alan Tudyk(Wash) from Firefly in it and Tyler Labine from Reaper.

Repo: The Genetic Opera this is one of my favorite movies ever and I love all the music in it.

Let's see:

I'm a Cyborg But That's OK - A quirky movie with a good sense of humour but is dark in places.

Confessions - A dark thriller with some really good cinematography and good story.

Both need to be watched at least once. 'Tis an experience.

Total LOLige:
Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil. Probably the best comedy horror I've seen, hell one of the best films I've seen. It's got Alan Tudyk(Wash) from Firefly in it and Tyler Labine from Reaper.

I second that. The chemistry between the two of them is just brilliant.

I wish to add Suicide Club http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312843/. I know I know, the name is not exactly interesting, but trust me, the movie is really good.

The Prestige :)

I know it's a movie by Christopher Nolan (who's a pretty "mainstream" director) but it certainly isn't given as much credit as his other work is, which I think it certainly deserves.

Brazil: one of the best Sci-fi films I have ever seen and one of the best endings to any film. Period.

The Iron Giant: My favourite animated film, love the setting and the entire cold war back drop that changed a good film into a fantastic film. The ending still makes me tear up.

Both Moon and Source Code: I put these both together as they are both directed Duncan Jones (who is David Bowie's son, random fact of the day) and are both in my top 10 films. Both are very emotional and show that you can still do an amazing modern Sci-fi film on a low budget.

I would have to say 13th Warrior. I'd never heard of it up until a few weeks ago but I love it.

Way of the Gun is one of my favorites. Some of the best gunfights you can see in a movie, and the main characters are particularly interesting. I guess some people thought the plot was complicated, but that doesn't seem like a justification for a bad movie.

Rawne1980:

Going back a few years i'd have to say Young Guns is a classic and should get more recognition.

Oh, hell yes. I haven't seen that in ages, but I remember it was great. The sequel wasn't AS good, but it was still a decent movie.

xplosive59:

The Iron Giant: My favourite animated film, love the setting and the entire cold war back drop that changed a good film into a fantastic film. The ending still makes me tear up.

The Iron Giant has gotten a ton praise and attention. For the first few years in the 21st century, Cartoon Network played The Iron Giant for 24 hours straight on thanksgiving.

The Machinist: Got great reviews but no one I know has seen it. It's mind-bending plot keeps you really interested to its great ending.

STALKER: 4 hour long Soviet art film from the 1970s. This is where the game STALKER got its inspiration. Note the movie was made before Chernobyl. Granted it was widely loved in the USSR, it never got a large western audience.

The Road: If The Book of Eli had a little more refined brother, it's The Road. I like The Road much better though because it had some really heart pounding moments and really got into the psychology of a human loosing everything dear to it.

A Satanic Panda:

xplosive59:

The Iron Giant has gotten a ton praise and attention. For the first few years in the 21st century, Cartoon Network played The Iron Giant for 24 hours straight on thanksgiving.

I know it got critical praise and was a hit, but everyone I talk to seems to have gorgotten it when I bring it up in a conversation.

1. Shutter Island: Most people understood and praised Inception. But not this one. It's a sad and stupid world we live in.
2. Thin Red Line: because Saving Private Ryan beat it to the finish line, that stupid piece of american-flag-waiving-self-ass-licking crap got the cake and ate it too. Thin Red Line is not only the best war movie ever made, it's also one of the best movies ever made.
3. Final Fantasy The Spirits Within: Shrek.... Everybody went to see that piece of trash... But not FF. Good job world! Let me put it this way. All 3d movies made so far are for kids. All are comedies. All are stylized. FF is still the only realistic 3d drama ever made. Guess why.
4. Sweeney Todd (2006), the BBC version with Ray Winstone: everybody saw that Tim Burton puke of a movie. But they missed out the superb BBC version. But "superb" is such an underwhelming term... anyway, since Tom Hardy is about to become a superstar with his Bane role, maybe fans will eventually pick this little gem up.
5. The Front Line (2011): a splendid Korean war movie which didn't even make the Oscars. One of the reasons I don't give a shit about the Oscars anymore.

Definitely agree with Shutter Island and The Prestige (both already mentioned).
But I would also have to include Serenity.

Other than some already mentioned (Stalker, Shutter Island and Brazil are all great shouts):

Galaxy Quest-A parody of Star Trek in which a bunch of actors from a cancelled 60s sci-fi show get recruited by aliens. It's got a great cast and is one of the funniest films I've ever seen.

Ivan's Childhood-A film about a Russian boy during World War 2 who's recruited for the army. It's a really harrowing look at war without needing a single battle scene, and has one of the best child performances ever.

The Mist-Stephen King adaptation in which a mist engulfs a town resulting in monsters besieging a supermarket. It's a great horror film both because the monsters look amazing and because the factions and divisions that form in the supermarket are arguably just as dangerous.

Eight Legged Freaks-It features a guy on a dirt bike kicking a giant spider in the face while mid-air. What more could you possibly ask for?

Tropic Thunder is a comedy masterpiece, and yet I've rarely seen it mentioned anywhere.

HardkorSB:
Brazil:

I would say almost every Terry Gilliam movie should get more attention.

I'm also going to get really unpopular by saying Alien Resurrection. Now I'll admit I don't know how it fucks with the overall saga and I don't care. I think that one is the most visually interesting movie in the series.
Then again anything by Jean Pierre Jeunet (especially Delicatessen) deserves more attention too.

But my favorite underrated movie of all time is probably Tom Waits' Big Time. Check it out on Netflix. It's the kind of movie that chokes your little bad days down to nothin.

TWRule:
I have a ton, but...

The Trial (1993) with Anthony Hopkins

Yeah, it's based on Kafka's book by the same name, and one could argue that book has had its share of attention, but if you haven't read the book, the movie gets the point across quite well. Everyone should see it at some point.

Bro, the Orson Welles version is way better. You should totally watch it, it's amazing.

Look as usual this is going to be ignored. But if you love movies, especially ones like "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" please, please, please ,please... Check this one out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzXH-MIPzZQ
It's called Mr nobody and some of the people I recommended it too thought it was the best film ever made.

the only reason Battle Royall seems to be getting attention is thanks to it,s comparison to THG

The Princess Bride.

That film knows what its wants to do and does it perfectly. I will always love it.

Edit:

karamazovnew:
Final Fantasy The Spirits Within

Ok I don't normal criticise someone's film tastes (hell look at mine) but did you really like that film? I saw it with a few friends and frankly I found it awful, it looked great but aside from that I really didn't like it, be interesting to know what you liked about it.

Bunraku is one of my favorite movies. Speed Racer is pretty damn awesome too. I think both of these didn't get enough attention for how pretty and fun they are to watch.

MoD1212:
Attack the Block, I mean we know about it thanks to MovieBob but it def deserved more media attention(at least here in the States)

I was going to choose this as well. Great little movie.
My other choices would be In The Loop (one of the best comedies I've seen in recent years) and a French prison drama called A Prophet, or Un Prophete.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked