Horror movies that are actually scary and not just gore/startles

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I've been thinking, and I haven't seen a decent horror movie for a while. It seems that most horror movies nowadays are either just buckets of blood (Saw) or just things popping out of doors like a middle school haunted house. I haven't seen any horror movies recently that build atmosphere and pace themselves and give you an actual feeling of unease (other than Noroi).

Any suggestions?

The Whisperer in Darkness springs to mind, a great atmospheric indipendant film. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1498878/

Jacob's ladder, another one of those psychological horror films.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099871/

And my favourite atmospheric horror story: Willard. It's got lots of cute rats in it, all trained to do awesome stuff. The atmosphere is very dark and brooding, and did I mention the cute rats?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310357/

the only new-ish one i can think of is Room 1408...the best opening 30-45mins of a horror i've seen in a loooong time without giving too much away. Some nice performances, and even a reasonable stab at a coherent character arc that tries to resolve itself meaningfully. Don't get me wrong it's far from perfect but i know where youre coming from, horrors are pretty horrifying these days for all the wrong reasons. Mostly gimmicky dross, boring teen slashers or limp supernatural guff.

There's a good Spanish 'handheld camera' type movie called Rec. Check it out.
SHAME THAT THEY NEVER MADE ANY SEQUELS. EVER

The Thing. It actually manages to have a great atmosphere and have tons of gore as well.

Event Horizon is a pretty decent film with good atmosphere.

The (original) Texas Chainsaw Massacre

It's a slasher flick with NO gore whatsoever, but tons of thick and heavy atmosphere.

And it has a dinner table scene you won't soon forget.

Casual Shinji:

It's a slasher flick with NO gore whatsoever, but tons of thick and heavy atmosphere.

What really scored it for me on the original was how rough the actual film it'self looked. That just slightly washed, over-heated feel the whole setting had. It was just the right icing for the cake.

GunsmithKitten:

Casual Shinji:

What really scored it for me on the original was how rough the actual film it'self looked. That just slightly washed, over-heated feel the whole setting had. It was just the right icing for the cake.

That's because it actually was really hot during filming. During the dinner table scene Gunner Hanson (Leatherface) apparently went crazy with heat stroke and seriously cut open Marilyn Burn's finger instead of pretending.

Session 9 jumps to mind.

Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch Project both know how to handle tension and release rather well, despite that hate they receive.

Session 9 - A fantastic film, very atmospheric.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0261983/

Rec - A bit of a zombieish movie but it is genuinely scary.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/

Strange Circus - This one has a bit of gore in it, but it is creepy as hell. It's very
disturbing but it is a good film.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492784/

Audition - it has some gore, but it has great acting and a great story.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235198/

Misery - I cannot praise this film enough. Fantastic acting. Fantastic everything. It gets the book spot on. It is the only film that made me curl up in a ball and grab my foot and think "oh holy hells" (those who have seen it may know what I am talking about) no gore at all.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100157/

The Shining - Another horror film I cannot praise enough.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/

Black Swan - A psychological horror film, everything about it is fantastic.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0947798/

I could go on and on, I have seen countless horror films, so I will stop there.

I'd recommend 'The Thing' (the 80's one, obviously). It does have a lot of gore in, but its main strength is how well it builds tension. Also, compared to most films with a lot of gore, the effects are incredible.

The scariest movie I´ve seen was called Noroi. I think it was also called The Curse, or something like that, and it was made in 2005 or so. It was a japanese horror movie, and good god, did i freak out a lot. Very creepy stuff indeed. Told a story about how some paranormal investogator-writer started poking around stuff that was way too heavy for him...

Padwolf:
Black Swan - A psychological horror film, everything about it is fantastic.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0947798/

Black Swan was trash if you ask me. First it appears a little arty because some things are not real, then they flood it with illusions, and at the end you realise that the scriptwriters and directors also didn't know what was supposed to be reality in their film anymore.

The Orphanage and The Devils Backbone are both fantastic horror films which don't use gore or shock tactics. Both are Spanish movies though, brought to you by Guillermo Del Toro of Pan's Labyrinth fame.

IT by Stephen King is a movie and a book. Which I still have to say, that both of them cause chills, since I was a child. I'd say that you may like either of them, even if you did just say movie. I would go on and say more, though most of my 'favorites' are splatters.

The Strangers

Halloween (original)

The scariest movie I've ever seen was one you don't want to watch with a group of smart asses or they will totally ruin the effect.

I'm talking about The Blair Witch Project. It's all about atmosphere and getting into your head. No gore--there's only one bit with just a tiny bit of blood. It also set the precedent and standard for hand held camera filming that became so prevalent in the wake of its success.

I remember renting it and watching it alone in my house a while back. It's not a very long movie, but half way through it I needed to take a leak and by that time I was so caught up in the movie that I LITERALLY checked every door and window in the house to make sure they were locked...

AAAANNNNNDDDDD I checked behind the door in every room...

AAAANNNNNDDDDD I checked under the beds...

AAAANNNNNDDDDD I checked behind the shower curtains...

AAAANNNNNDDDDD I checked each closet...

AAAANNNNNDDDDD I even checked the cabinets under the bathroom sink!!!

This movie has so well earned a reputation for being scary that guys like to get together to watch it just to prove that it won't get to them--hence the warning about watching it with smart asses. It became one of those movies that was so overwhelmingly popular and successful that a lot of people later (much later--after the craze passed) started hating on it the way people do when anything or anyone gets too much attention and praise.

But it works....brrrr....it works.....

What Lies Beneath and The Thing (John Carpenter original, not the remake).
WLB has great atmosphere and the story will keep you guessing.

Martyrs. Just watch it seriously. I am not affected by horror films in the slightest but this deeply unsettled me.

Nouw:
The Thing. It actually manages to have a great atmosphere and have tons of gore as well.

I hope you're referring to the original and not the remake. Lord.

The Descent - there's a bit of blood, but by and large the scares come from the environment.

The Strangers - terrifying if you've ever spent any time in a resort town in the off season.

The Crazies - It's a remake (which I didn't know), but shockingly good.

hazabaza1:

I was going to say that movie.

And I don't even enjoy horror movies/games.

The Korean horror film Tale of Two Sisters. Ok it is abit startles but there is more to it than just that.

Nouw:

My all time favourite movie...

Susan Arendt:

Nouw:

The Descent - there's a bit of blood, but by and large the scares come from the environment.

The Strangers - terrifying if you've ever spent any time in a resort town in the off season.

...but I'm referring to the 1982 version. The original, titled 'The Thing From Another World', is the 1959 version, and it had some moments, but I couldn't relate as much to the cultural/social elements.

I thought the Ring and The Grudge both had really good ghost story vibes.

I personally really dig well done found footage movies, and although I know alot of people don't, I loved Blair Witch, Cloverfield and Paranormal Activity.

I also thought Rec was a good movie, and The Crazies had some real scares.

I also found The Mist to have a horror aspect that is missing in alot of horror movies, but I'll not get into that here.

hazabaza1:

they did... i belive it's called rec 2, but they threw religious supernatural shit in it

but if you are too lazy to read the subs, there is an americanised version Quarantine. the first one is scene for scene copy of Rec... haven't seen Quarantine 2, so can't comment on that one

speaking of camcorder horrors, i would say The Last Exorcism

EDIT: quarantine 2 has it's own story... guess the makers of quarantine were not expecting too much god related stuff to pour out from the sequal

Padwolf:

Audition - it has some gore, but it has great acting and a great story.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235198/

I was gonna recommend this one. But then I remembered that it's evil and ruins your brain.

I am ashamed of you all... how has The Others not been mentioned yet. Fantastic movie, it is one of the few PG-13 horror movies that is insanely tightly written as well as being scary. Also, the twist at the end is to die for.

Another one that is worth mentioning is Insidious. It looks crappy, but it actually is one of the best examples of modern horror that's been made in a few years.

Finally, Dead End is pretty obscure but worth checking out. It's a bizarre fusion of horror and comedy, but somehow it does both really well. The horror parts are extremely eerie, whereas the comedy is side-splitting and is keeps slingshotting back and forth between the two.

Edible Avatar:
What Lies Beneath and The Thing (John Carpenter original, not the remake).
WLB has great atmosphere and the story will keep you guessing.

Susan Arendt:

Nouw:

Wasn't the 1980s John Carpenter version also a remake?
Though I'm fairly sure nobody cares about the 1950s version...

Raven's Nest:
The Orphanage and The Devils Backbone are both fantastic horror films which don't use gore or shock tactics. Both are Spanish movies though, brought to you by Guillermo Del Toro of Pan's Labyrinth fame.

I second this, those movies are great.

You guys are absolutely right to correct me - the John Carpenter Thing is itself a remake. I always refer to it as "the original," but it isn't.

Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity. Popularity and a stream of loathsome sequels has made them popular to hate, but both were extremely effective horror movies made on a shoestring budget. Blair Witch in particular works well because they actually got the actors lost and terrorized them at night. That's real anxiety in their voices. Both films also obey one of the cardinal rules of horror, which is that viewer/readers imagination will do all the work for you if you let them. There's no need to show them rubbery monsters or gore.

Susan Arendt:

Nouw:

Which remake ;)? It's a rare instance of where a film is rebooted twice, even though one of them is technically a prequel.

EDIT: Cute avatar by the way :3.

hazabaza1:

They've made two sequels...or are you being sarcastic?

The Woman in black, that is the scariest film I've ever seen.

The others, not a drop of blood, but scary as hell, I lost it when a couple of the main characters started shouting "WE'RE NOT DEAD!!" D:!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked