Newest Trailer for RWBY Black

Pages PREV 1 2

DoPo:

Zhukov:
Am I looking at the trailers for an anime or a hack-and-slash game? Or something else?

Yes, I think you guessed correctly. Or to be more precise, it's going to be some sort of series that takes heavy hints from anime and from fighting games and...that's all I know about it. The creator's previous works include Haloid (Halo vs Metroid) and the Dead Fantasy series (Dead or Alive vs Final Fantasy). I think they aren't a huge deal different from RWBY (ok, trailers alone) it just leans more towards video games. RWBY, from what I know, is supposed to also have stuff like plot.

Ah, that would explain why I guess I didn't like it, I wasn't a fan of Haloid, and this just didn't click for me.

Desert Punk:
That was...kinda shit compared to the previous two.

The music was meh
The voice acting was just...bad...

and why was the guy taking the spotlight from black? The previous two could stand on their own but Black needed backup for some reason?

Because it's Beauty and the Beast.

To be totally honest, I expected Black to have an evil side and that would be beast, but even this duo wasn't wholly unexpected.

White is still my favorite trailer.

Black's voice actor was pretty good, but the mask guy's sounds like a bad abridged voice actor.

Dat Voice ACTING!

Meh, it's just like the other trailers. Very well animated for an amateur piece. But it's just the same as any other number of anime type things that have skinny, ludicrously dressed teenagers slicing through robots like they're made out of butter.

Not really all that interested.

To be honest, this whole thing just looks absolutely terrible.

Cringe inducing dialogue/voice acting, and animation that looks insanely cheesy. So, pretty much par for the course for Roosterteeth.

Although I will admit that the art style in general looks pretty neat.

I liked it, though...one thing stuck out in my head: "MAN he looked like that guy from Katanagatari...".

The voice acting for the guy was pretty rough. Definitely trying too hard. But I don't know if Adam will be a large fixture of the series or not (maybe a villain?), so it may or may not be a significant factor in the actual show. The rest of it was pretty good. Still want to see more.

My first impression was this is waaaay too red. If anything it's possibly even more red then the RED trailer. Like I know it can't be all black(that would make things hard to see) but it was definitely too red for a "Black" trailer/character. Like least in the RED trailer them showing a lot of red makes since since she was slicing up a bunch of living creatures that would obviously bleed, but here they're fighting all robots, where black would've actually been made more sense. Oh yeah I decided to watch the RED trailer again, and it's really white to give the red a chance to stand out, which I'm guessing they tried to do the same here but didn't work out nearly as well.

The voices was ok, not great but not too bad either. The talking however wasn't all that necessary. Really most of the lines didn't need to be said at all, they just needed them to say a reason to split the two up. (the whole one is willing to kill innocent bystanders and the other isn't thing) Which makes me wonder why have them as a pair to begin with.

Speaking of which not a big fan of the guy either since he took up too much of the spotlight, mainly by saving Blake like twice and getting the killing blow off the boss whom she wasn't all that useful against. Made her feel like the sidekick when it was supposed to be her trailer, especially since it felt like he was in charge of whatever mission they were doing.

The music was interesting, different from the other 2 which is good for variety sake.

And I have no idea how her weapon works, is it gun boomerang whip thing that she can use to cut things while somehow still pulling the trigger to shoot stuff? I guess it's a neat idea but hard to see since it's small and moves really fast.

Overall this is probably my least favorite trailer of the 3. Still great work but I don't think I'll be rewatching it nearly as many times as I did the other 2.

I thought the guy fought like kinda my fursona does...minus the gun sheathe, my fursona don't have that.

The trailer was really good in my opinion. The voice acting was meh, but it's nice the bring a little more 'plot' into it. I eagerly await Yellow.

The whole idea of this series is terrible. Honestly, they should not have let Monty be in charge of the writing. The second I heard that I thought "Wow this is going to be horrible, overly 'cool', insanely cliched, and will try to get by on it's anime style."

Turns out I was right on the money. Each trailer gets worse and uses more cliches. I couldn't believe how bad the dialogue was in this trailer. It seems like the only thing this series will do well is the design of the weapons for the characters. Which is purely superficial and can't salvage an entire webseries.

the whole thing looks like bad fanfic with a budget behind it.

THE_JOKE_KING33:
Is it just me or did this seem more like "Adam's Trailer" than "Black's Trailer"?

I swear it seemed as though Adam was taking most of the spotlight and out-classing Blake (I still think that's weird name for a woman btw).

As well he should.

As I understand this "Black" is Beauty from Beauty and The Beast, the defining element of that character is well... the beast, her boyfriend, not the girl herself. In this case the bottom line is that she's probably going to have him tied around her little finger.

Now honestly I *did* expect them to turn her into more of a Dominatrix and to wield more direct control given that they made "Beauty" into "Black", but I guess they weren't going the obvious route, and I guess they were aiming for a slightly differant sort of "girl power" this time around.

But yeah basically, if we make Beauty capable, The Beast has to be something really special, I mean he is after all The Beast if you catch my meaning. In this case Adam's "beastly" aspect seems to be a degree of amorality except where Black is concerned.

Personally I got into this one's symbolism a lot more than "White" which I didn't think resembled the character much at all.

That said, we'll see what happens when the animation is finished. It's nice that they are establishing some action girls and pretty, if surreal, artwork, but at the end of the day it all comes down to the storyline and writing more than anything. The Pedigree is good here, but when you see them leading almost entirely with visuals I am starting to have my doubts, I mean I seem to remember "Red Vs. Blue" got right to the point with what the series was about even from the very beginning... that is to say using Halo multiplayer as a backdrop to crack a bunch of jokes. :)

Damn,that was pretty cool,it could be a pretty good hack and slash game,too bad it's just an animation
Although the voice acting was pretty bad,and not in a good way,like DW4

Kopikatsu:

Desert Punk:

The music was meh

and why was the guy taking the spotlight from black? The previous two could stand on their own but Black needed backup for some reason?

To be totally honest, I expected Black to have an evil side and that would be beast, but even this duo wasn't wholly unexpected.

There were much better ways that they could have done it instead of adding a guy to take her spotlight.

Hell, he had to save her a couple of times in her own trailer, where as the previous two were self sufficient.

I stated in the previous 2 trailers that I was a bit worried that this series would have good action but terrible writing and this trailer is helping.

I'll still see the first episode but now I'm worried this will turn out bad.

Even though I love Monty and the guys over at Roosterteeth, I am losing interest in RWBY. I'm not an avid anime fan, so I'm probably missing out on a lot if tropes they included, but it seems like the combat in the series is going to be super over the top with completely insane and impractical weapons. I hope the actual plot will draw me back in, and the art style is great, but I just cannot get over the combat, it just bugs me.

Shocksplicer:
Still yet to see anything at all regarding RWBY (Worst title ever by the way) that interests me in the slightest. A standalone series made primarily by Monty Oum, the man who ruined Red Vs Blue? No thanks.

And how did Monty ruin RvB exactly? His involvement let the series evolve and most importantly, let Burnie and his fellow writers expand what they could show on screen other than walk, run, jump, and shoot.

Desert Punk:

Kopikatsu:

Desert Punk:

The music was meh

There were much better ways that they could have done it instead of adding a guy to take her spotlight.

Hell, he had to save her a couple of times in her own trailer, where as the previous two were self sufficient.

Not everything has to be a feminist's wet dream.

In any case, it seems intentional that Adam stole Beauty's spotlight. Throughout the trailer, she relied him on him guidance and to handle the majority of the combat. She used him as a crutch instead of making decisions for herself, even if he made choices that she vehemently opposed, she wasn't prepared to do or say anything when Beast essentially suggested that they kill everyone on the train even before the spider-cannon bot showed up.

Her cutting the train car connector is also symbolic as she was cutting her ties with Beast because he'd gone too far one too many times for her (It's fairly obvious from their interactions and comments that this isn't their first rodeo), and this was probably one of the few (if only) time she stood up for herself. Since she no longer has Adam as a crutch, she now has room to grow into being her own person.

Kopikatsu:

Desert Punk:

Kopikatsu:

Not everything has to be a feminist's wet dream.

Cute strawman you have built yourself there. I never mentioned feminism, and I am down right mocking of feminism most of the time.

The rest of your post makes sense though I will admit.

splitzi:
Even though I love Monty and the guys over at Roosterteeth, I am losing interest in RWBY. I'm not an avid anime fan, so I'm probably missing out on a lot if tropes they included, but it seems like the combat in the series is going to be super over the top with completely insane and impractical weapons. I hope the actual plot will draw me back in, and the art style is great, but I just cannot get over the combat, it just bugs me.

Shocksplicer:
Still yet to see anything at all regarding RWBY (Worst title ever by the way) that interests me in the slightest. A standalone series made primarily by Monty Oum, the man who ruined Red Vs Blue? No thanks.

And how did Monty ruin RvB exactly? His involvement let the series evolve and most importantly, let Burnie and his fellow writers expand what they could show on screen other than walk, run, jump, and shoot.

It was primarily his influence that changed the show from a goofball comedy into an overly action-heavy angst fest which focused too much on the shitty plot instead of the funny situations.

I get henchmen laws, but why when you ahve the numbers would you all turn your guns to swords. Yeah,t he one guy who didnt got owned by the rest of you stood there and did nothing about it. they cant deflect every bullet especially if you circle them and fire and especially especially if you do two circles that fire alternatingly if youre worried about all running dry at once.

... and she wants some red headed D.

First I've heard of RWBY. Just watched all the trailers.

splitzi:

No. Even a person who likes anime will criticize these trailers.

The problem is that if these trailers are anything to go by, they are using both some of the best and worst aspects of many modern anime/JRPG tropes.

The good:
1. color stylism (can be hit or miss)
2. character designs that aren't super creative but are at least cute.

The bad:
1. overdone fights with no meaning behind them
2. sorrowful music that sounds like it came 2001
3. faceless and boring opponents (hell I mean at least Stormtroopers had SOME character)

Monty is talented as an animator and fight choreographer, but I'm not sure that his over-stylization can make something be intriguing if it doesn't have good writing.

StereoMike:
The whole idea of this series is terrible. Honestly, they should not have let Monty be in charge of the writing. The second I heard that I thought "Wow this is going to be horrible, overly 'cool', insanely cliched, and will try to get by on it's anime style."

Turns out I was right on the money. Each trailer gets worse and uses more cliches. I couldn't believe how bad the dialogue was in this trailer. It seems like the only thing this series will do well is the design of the weapons for the characters. Which is purely superficial and can't salvage an entire webseries.

the whole thing looks like bad fanfic with a budget behind it.

Oh god, he's writing it? Well that explains it.

Shocksplicer:

splitzi:

Shocksplicer:

It was primarily his influence that changed the show from a goofball comedy into an overly action-heavy angst fest which focused too much on the shitty plot instead of the funny situations.

DO you have anything to confirm that it was his influence? because that removes any responsibility of the writers to make a good story.

After season two, RvB was never quite up to par.

Season 3 got too wacky when it was actually making a reasonable story
Season 4 got stupid
Season 5 tried to make it serious again and transitioned awfully

And at that point I didn't bother keeping up with the series.

Lovely Mixture:
After season two, RvB was never quite up to par.

Season 3 got too wacky when it was actually making a reasonable story
Season 4 got stupid
Season 5 tried to make it serious again and transitioned awfully

And at that point I didn't bother keeping up with the series.

Thats too bad. Season 6 and 10 are the two best seasons RvB has.

Just for people who have never heard of this series before to give a little insight
1. The characters aren't based around their Fairy Tale personas as mentioned by the Monty many times during podcast interviews. Yes the looks and names are obvious, but they don't follow the same ideas the stories had.

2. These are just trailers. No one has any idea what the over all story will be and it is harsh to judge an entire series from just these trailers alone. People made the mistake of overhyping Dead Island because the trailers looked good. Lets not have the reverse happen here.

3. Monty Oum did has worked on a few projects before such as Dead Fantasy, some sort of Metroid/Halo thing(which I have very little knowledge on so I can not speak for it.), and Red vs. Blue. Dead Fantasy was basically a cage match fight between a few characters from Final Fantasy and Dead or Alive. It was pretty good but didn't have much focus on story, just keeping to the fight scenes. He worked for Rooster Teeth on Red vs. Blue as their effects and animation guy and is responsible for most or all of their CGI fights in the series. As far as I know his only level of involvement with the story would have been "hey I think it would look more exciting if this happened".

4. With three being stated other then the Metroid/Halo thing which I have no knowledge on I am pretty sure we have never seen Monty actually write a show before. Calling something stupid just because he made it doesn't make sense. It is like seeing a picture and saying "Ha, that guy could never write a story". Unless you personally know Monty and can speak for his skills as an author or provide proof that just because he is working on it means the story will be shit then please don't flame a guy for providing a wonderful piece of animation on a budget that shows from the 80's would most likely laugh at.

As for the voice acting yeah it is kinda grating, but if you look past that this is still a great trailer displaying two characters for the price of one trailer. It was nice to see a sort of team up thing and proves that Monty can have more then one character on screen and still make things look great.

Oh the terrible voice acting!
Some of the worst I've ever been subject to.

I know they're going for anime style but if part of that stylistic choice is shitty English voice acting. I might just check out from RWBY entirely.
Or just wait for them to release a Japanese audio track.

Also, this is Rooster Teeth god dammit! They know voice actors! They can get better than that!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked