Underrated movies.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

What are some of the films you think that, despite their awesomeness, might be underrated?

Personally one that comes to my mind is The Princess and the Cobbler or if you have the Mirramax version The Thief and The Cobbler. Seriously just how can nobody else have heard of this movie when it has a rhyming Vincent Price, a genuinely funny silent character and backgrounds that are so zany and wonderful you would have thought the Prince from Prince of Persia and M.C Escher shacked up and had an illegitimate child.

If you ever do find this get or rent it cause its certainly worth it.

Dead Silence is a fantastic movie, and is definetly underrated (in Ireland at least lol)
Also Clerks 2 is pretty underrated, and it's hilarious in my opinion :D

My god.
I thought I was the only one who'd heard of that movie! I loved it as a kid!
As for other movies that need more attention?
Two spring to mind. First of all, The Brave Little Toaster, featured to your left. Second is We're Back. It has dinosaurs, time travel, cereal, circuses and hypnosis. How can you not love it?

Gattaca, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, ExistenZ, Hero, Brotherhood of the Wolf and the Cowboy Bebop movie.

Actually, I could pretty much just say "Gattaca" and end the topic. An absolute masterpiece that nobody saw. And yeah, I'm aware a lot of the movies I mentioned were fairly well received, but I feel like they deserve even MORE recognition.

Almost every Troma movie, only because they're so bad they actually become good again.

Poultrygeist: Night of the chicken Death is my favourite.(here one of the songs)

I honestly liked the Clue movie, myself, as well as Hudson Hawk. I loved Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but being that it's a Kevin Smith movie, i'm sure it's already fairly more popular than those first two.

Boondock Saints, it's imo a hilarious movie, unfortunately almost noone agrees with me.

Samurai Goomba:
Actually, I could pretty much just say "Gattaca" and end the topic.

Totally agree with that. Gattaca is amazing but hardly anyone I meet has ever seen/heard of it.

i think the movie "Walk Hard" which is the spoof of the jhonny cash story.
soo funny but the reason no one knew what i was talking about when i would mention it is because it sounds like "war card" when you say it.
lol but only a select few of my friends have seen it anyway.

Chronicles of Riddick. I thought it was a nice film, pretty Dunish and imaginitive, but the critics panned it. :(

Mr. Squirrel:
Boondock Saints, it's imo a hilarious movie, unfortunately almost noone agrees with me.

Yeah boondock saints is hilarious, and like no one knows about it -_- I heard they are trying to make a sequel here's hoping they do :)

CelticWarrior:

Mr. Squirrel:

Yeah boondock saints is hilarious, and like no one knows about it -_- I heard they are trying to make a sequel here's hoping they do :)

That'd be nice, in the first one, I don't know why, but I laughed my head off when Ron Jeremy entered the screen, or when it is really serious one part and then they suddenly splatter a cat against the wall. :)

Adam Jenson:
What are some of the films you think that, despite their awesomeness, might be underrated?

Personally one that comes to my mind is The Princess and the Cobbler or if you have the Mirramax version The Thief and The Cobbler. Seriously just how can nobody else have heard of this movie when it has a rhyming Vincent Price, a genuinely funny silent character and backgrounds that are so zany and wonderful you would have thought the Prince from Prince of Persia and M.C Escher shacked up and had an illegitimate child.

If you ever do find this get or rent it cause its certainly worth it.

From the people who brought you airplane the movie top secret. It's Val Kilmer's first movie and it is just so funny. It was a flop in the box office even though it was so funny and now people have forgotten about it

Boondock Saints was a fantastic movie, it's very popular in my circle of friends - it baffles me why it isn't more well-known, or wasn't better received by critics. Willem Dafoe is brilliant.

I think Serenity is underestimated by a lot of members of the Firefly fan community because of certain character deaths, but I can't really tell if it's the minority or majority that understands why Joss made the plot decisions he did. C'est la vie.

I have my own list in my head of movies I think are sorely overrated, but that's a soapbox for another day.

The butterfly effect. When it came out, I was like, Ashton Kutcher, ehhh. He's a baddie.

Then I watched it on T.V. years later and I thought it was amazing. Then I watched the DvD and thought it was even better.

Serenity. /thread

Lucky # Slevin and Fight Club are two really great movies imo.

Donny Darko is an genius film but no one i know has seen it.

Undercover Blues is one of my favorite underrated movies. Kathleen Turner and Dennis Quaid have an awesome chemistry and the humor is great. But, the character who moves the movie from "yeah, it's a good movie" to "definitely an underrated classic" is Muerte!

speed racer...

yeah sorry i liked it...

hard candy and dark city

Graustein: I had those on VHS! The world we grew up in is gone :.(

superpandaman: They're always playing that movie late whenever its on. Tell me how a 6 foot black man with a tommygun who drinks gasoline named Chocolate Mousse is NOT funny!

Heres one for all the aussies out here. Dot and the Whale. I wasn't much of a Dot fan but this was my favourite. The animation may have been subpar but live actionthe underwater scenes were great and some of the songs still get in my head.

Hot Rod. I say it's the funniest movie ever made. End of discussion.
The Transporter series. Good stories and amazing action.

Dark City
RotJ
The Phantasm series

Any move made before 1970. Saw a recent version of Hamlet made in the 1940's. It was grand...

PirateKing:

*falls down the hill for five minutes*

Arsen:

PirateKing:

*falls down the hill for five minutes*

Hardest I've ever laughed in my life.
Anyone who wants to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq2Yp4L_I3s

PirateKing:

Ok, Hot Rod was an OK movie at its very best. And Transporter (not 2 or 3) was a very good action flick. I don't think they should have ever made any sequel, or made it into a trilogy (hopefully not more). The second movie was ridiculous, and in the third movie, well lets just say the guy and girl talked for fifteen minutes about...salad. Yes, salad. And I counted a total of three action scenes, and one of them was a minute short flashback. The rest of the movie was a romance. All in all, Transporter shall only be recognized as the first movie in my mind, and I will forget the existence of the other, things.
Anyway I agree with

Graustein:
...The Brave Little Toaster...

as being underrated and almost completely forgotten in most people's minds. Those were my favourite movies in my childhood, and I still watch The Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars once in awhile.

AuntyEthel:

Samurai Goomba:
Actually, I could pretty much just say "Gattaca" and end the topic.

Totally agree with that. Gattaca is amazing but hardly anyone I meet has ever seen/heard of it.

That is strange while i have personally not seen it i know heaps of people who have and loved it. Year 12 at my old school do sometimes study the movie so that coulb be a reason. I need to see it.

As for Donnie Darko and The Butterfly Effect plenty of people have seen theese movies they just do not achieve mainstream success bnut have a HUGE cult following.

One of the movies i know no one who watched was The Presteige. You think a movie about magicians staring Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlet Johannson and David Bowie would be popular but it is not.

Also the movie which is one of the best things Brad Pitt has done and has the most long winded title i have ever see in a movie is The Assasination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford.

Children of Men.

Gattaca and Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. Also Donnie Darko, but that is a cult classic.

jezz8me:
As for Donnie Darko and The Butterfly Effect plenty of people have seen theese movies they just do not achieve mainstream success bnut have a HUGE cult following.

One of the movies i know no one who watched was The Presteige. You think a movie about magicians staring Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlet Johannson and David Bowie would be popular but it is not.

Also the movie which is one of the best things Brad Pitt has done and has the most long winded title i have ever see in a movie is The Assasination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford.

That's funny, because almost everybody I know loves those movies. Not so much Donnie Darko, but all the rest are well-known and very well liked amongst the people I know.

I really liked The Punisher with Thomas Jane. It had its problems, but I thought it was a pretty good movie regardless. I guess a lot of critics disagree.
And Kung Pow: Enter the Fist is pretty alright as well.

V for Vendetta or the Transporter series. It just doesn't take itself seriously.

Graustein:
My god.
I thought I was the only one who'd heard of that movie! I loved it as a kid!
As for other movies that need more attention?
Two spring to mind. First of all, The Brave Little Toaster, featured to your left. Second is We're Back. It has dinosaurs, time travel, cereal, circuses and hypnosis. How can you not love it?

We're Back was a favorite of mine as a kid. As was The Secret of NIMH and the second Ninja Turtles flick.

As for the most underrated film I've seen recently...hmmm...That'd have to be Mallrats. Yeah, it's not Kevin Smith's magnum-opus, but I still thought it was pretty funny despite it's shortcomings. It was a helluva lot better than Clerks II, at least in my humble opinion.

I would say Dark City(amaAAAaaazing, one of my personal faves), but I've yet to hear anything bad about it. It's reached cult status at least.

Delicatessen
The City of Lost Children
A Very Long Engagement

All awesome films by France's best director.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked