People are still confusing Adult Swim for Cartoon Network?

One thing I often see news reports and some form dwellers do is consider Cartoon Network & Adult Swim the same network. The thing is.... they're not, at least, not anymore.

While it's true that Adult Swim began as a block on Cartoon Network, and in a way, kind of still is, it has become a completely separate entity from CN dispite them being under the Cartoon Network umbrella like Boomerang. Adult Swim has their own website, their own ratings reports, their own web pressence, staff, programming management, scheduling practices, etc. If you still need more proof, Turner THEMSELVES categorizes [as] as a separate network. Hell, go to any video streaming/download service, and you'll see Adult Swim listed separately, as its own network.

For those saying that they're the same network because they're on the same channel, let me explain something. The current Adult Swim and Cartoon Network operate in the same way Noggin and The N operated before they were split into 2 channels, they were on the same channel, they were part of Nickelodeon. But each had separate management, staff, scheduling, ratings reports.

Just thought I'd clear up the confusion. It annoys me how some think reviving Toonami was Cartoon Networks idea, when CN has almost no say in Adult Swim's management as they're run by completely different people.

Unless it's a media article or if it involved any further need for discussion, it's likely someone will just say it's part of Cartoon Network because it's simpler to say while still being technically true.

O hai thar fellow Gamefaqs member. Fancy meeting you here?

I think most of it really is down to it being on one shared channel. Doesn't help that, whoever the people in charge of the programming are, it's all one company, part of the Turner/Time Warner set of channels. It's like saying, I don't know, the Taco Bell and the Pizza Hut at one of those combined Taco Bell/Pizza Hutt places are really separate restaurants. It's only true on an abstract level.

Agreed. Its due to them being one channel. I had no idea they were separate things as I don't watch them online. Should I want to watch one of their shows I have dvr.

Wait... People STILL do that??? Is it like how people confuse [email protected] with Nickelodeon or NickMom with Nick Jr.? Either way, it doesn't sound that surprising to me...

Then again, when you have two separate programming blocks using the same channel number, unless your cable and/or satellite provider shows you the difference when it pops up on your DVR scheduling (like what DirecTV kinda does with Nickelodeon/[email protected]), small confusions like that do pop up from time to time...

OTOH, people can be too lazy to just look up the differences themselves so that they don't get confused for a second, third, or just multiple times... (Just an idea, that's all...)

Owyn_Merrilin:

I think most of it really is down to it being on one shared channel. Doesn't help that, whoever the people in charge of the programming are, it's all one company, part of the Turner/Time Warner set of channels. It's like saying, I don't know, the Taco Bell and the Pizza Hut at one of those combined Taco Bell/Pizza Hutt places are really separate restaurants. It's only true on an abstract level.

Actually, no. Cartoon Network and Adult Swim are two different networks that share the same channel. Cartoon Network literally goes off the air every day and just ends operations at the same time Adult Swim starts for the night.

They're owned by the same company, but they're actually totally separate things programmed by different divisions.

Different "divisions" of the same network, have, until VERY recently, been considered part of the same network. For example, networks used to have different "divisions" devoted to sports, entertainment, and news. But they were all still a part of, say, "CBS", which aired on CBS affiliate "channels".

While Adult Swim and the Cartoon Network are operated "independently" of each other, they are still owned by (and answer to) the same parent company, operate within (admittedly, different floors of) the same building, and air on the same channel. By pretty much everyone over the age of 30's definition of "network", this would make them the same network.

They wish to be referred to as truly separate "networks", and that's fine. My son wants to pretend he's a puppy sometimes. They do this so that teenage cool people can technically claim they don't watch Cartoon Network. People refusing to acknowledge their completely fictitious, arbitrary distinction should not upset you.

Different "divisions" of the same network, have, until VERY recently, been considered part of the same network. For example, networks used to have different "divisions" devoted to sports, entertainment, and news. But they were all still a part of, say, "CBS", which aired on CBS affiliate "channels".

While Adult Swim and the Cartoon Network are operated "independently" of each other, they are still owned by (and answer to) the same parent company, operate within (admittedly, different floors of) the same building, and air on the same channel. By pretty much everyone over the age of 30's definition of "network", this would make them the same network.

They wish to be referred to as truly separate "networks", and that's fine. My son wants to pretend he's a puppy sometimes. They do this so that teenage cool people can technically claim they don't watch Cartoon Network. People refusing to acknowledge their completely fictitious, arbitrary distinction should not upset you.

Don't know why it double posted. Sorry.

Ieyke:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Actually, no. Cartoon Network and Adult Swim are two different networks that share the same channel. Cartoon Network literally goes off the air every day and just ends operations at the same time Adult Swim starts for the night.

They're owned by the same company, but they're actually totally separate things programmed by different divisions.

PhilMed covered it pretty well. Like I said, it's true on an abstract level. But it's different divisions of the same company sharing time on the same channel. For all practical purposes, it's one channel.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Ieyke:

Owyn_Merrilin:

PhilMed covered it pretty well. Like I said, it's true on an abstract level. But it's different divisions of the same company sharing time on the same channel. For all practical purposes, it's one channel.

No, it's not.
They're not different divisions of the same network. They're different divisions of a larger parent company and have nothing to do with each other.

Yes, they're one channel (though the actual channel varies depending one where you are), totally different networks.
Trust me, I spent waaay too much time having to study this bullshit.

Ieyke:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Ieyke:

No, it's not.
They're not different divisions of the same network. They're different divisions of a larger parent company and have nothing to do with each other.

Yes, they're one channel (though the actual channel varies depending one where you are), totally different networks.
Trust me, I spent waaay too much time having to study this bullshit.

It's a legal fiction. It means nothing to the viewer, and little to the people running things, for that matter. Are you aware of the fact that an hour and a half of the current Saturday night lineup on Adult Swim is old shows that were produced for and are still owned by Cartoon Network? For that matter, the entire lineup from 11:30-5:00 AM that night is called "Toonami," an old Cartoon Network property. You're not seeing the forest for one tiny sapling of a tree here.

Edit: Also, the actual channel for a network varying? On cable? Wow, so shocking. That's true of literally every channel on cable. Around here things used to get totally changed around just from driving an hour in any given direction, even keeping it within the same provider. It's not quite that bad anymore, but the actual number a given network is on still depends on the provider and geographical area.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked